Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL Network: Best QB in the AFC South?

(04-12-2018, 07:21 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 05:03 PM)rufftime Wrote: Well according to your own data, Blake would have to throw 42 TDs to 4 interceptions next year to catch Luck.  That alone seems like a clear answer if everything else is equal.

(04-11-2018, 05:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Taking your figures at face value Luck has thrown for 42 more TDs and about 4000 more yards missing all of last year.

It's no contest.

Now granted, Bortles has had some bad teams and bad coaching, but just looking at the raw numbers, it's huge advantage Luck.

The question now is if Luck will ever be healthy enough to physically approximate his performance his first four years. 

I doubt he will.

Luck gets his stats because he throws more than anyone else. Despite missing all of last season, Luck still has 430 more passing attempts. I think Luck is better but his reputation far exceeds his skill, IMO.

Attempts per game
37.9 v 36
so nah not really...

Luck has about 400 more pass attempts than Bortles, on 8 more games played. It isn't like Luck has actually played that much more football than Bortles.
He also has about 4k more yards 40 more TDs and ONLY 4 more INTs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-12-2018, 08:35 AM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 07:21 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Luck gets his stats because he throws more than anyone else. Despite missing all of last season, Luck still has 430 more passing attempts. I think Luck is better but his reputation far exceeds his skill, IMO.

You are absolutely right and the reason why that's the case when it comes to the media proclaiming a player's greatness because their job is no longer to be right but to be first on a situation. Andrew Luck was a Prodigy coming out of college with all the prerequisites and his favor on and off the field. So the media gravitated towards that and put him on a pedestal when he truly didn't deserve it. 

People keep saying that he took a 2-14 Indianapolis Colts team to the playoffs but failed to put everything into perspective. For one thing, look at his roster when he took over as the QB for that franchise because he had players such as Reggie Wayne, Ty Hilton, offensive tackle Anthony Costsanzo, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Tommy Harris, Austin Collie, Vontae Davis, Antione Bathea, Coby Fleener, Cory Redding, and Jerry Hughes. 

In addition, let's talk about the quarterbacks and teams he had to play against in the AFC South as well which was a rebuilding Jacksonville Jaguars team with Blaine Gabbert, a rebuilding Tennessee Titans team with Jake Locker and Charlie Whitehurst at QB, and a underachieving Houston Texan team with Pick 6 Matt Schaub at QB so the path was very easy for him during that time. So I think Andrew Luck is over it as well but unlike Blake, the media will make excuses for him because they don't want to feel like their fascination and admiration for a player's career was off base and was wrong on their predictions of said player.

Oh by the way, I got Blake ranked third in the AFC South right now until I know for sure Andrew Luck's health and how DeShaun Watson reacts once teams truly have film on him.
So an old and not producing Wayne. 2 aging pass rushers. Then you go on to name studs like Tommy Harris, Austin Collie, Fleener and Redding? Yikes dude. Reaching real hard there. Also, let's not forget that only 2 of those players are still Colts. Hilton and Constanzo. So all those "studs" were so great that the team let them walk?

The Colts roster was and still is a bottom 5 roster. I mean... I think they may have the worst roster in the league right now.

To compare these QB's like that is just stupid. What the hell do you accomplish by doing that? If they were all healthy? What a joke of a network to be the face of the league.

It's like comparing four apples when three of them are really half squished oranges.

Just plain stupid.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(04-12-2018, 08:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 08:35 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: You are absolutely right and the reason why that's the case when it comes to the media proclaiming a player's greatness because their job is no longer to be right but to be first on a situation. Andrew Luck was a Prodigy coming out of college with all the prerequisites and his favor on and off the field. So the media gravitated towards that and put him on a pedestal when he truly didn't deserve it. 

People keep saying that he took a 2-14 Indianapolis Colts team to the playoffs but failed to put everything into perspective. For one thing, look at his roster when he took over as the QB for that franchise because he had players such as Reggie Wayne, Ty Hilton, offensive tackle Anthony Costsanzo, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Tommy Harris, Austin Collie, Vontae Davis, Antione Bathea, Coby Fleener, Cory Redding, and Jerry Hughes. 

In addition, let's talk about the quarterbacks and teams he had to play against in the AFC South as well which was a rebuilding Jacksonville Jaguars team with Blaine Gabbert, a rebuilding Tennessee Titans team with Jake Locker and Charlie Whitehurst at QB, and a underachieving Houston Texan team with Pick 6 Matt Schaub at QB so the path was very easy for him during that time. So I think Andrew Luck is over it as well but unlike Blake, the media will make excuses for him because they don't want to feel like their fascination and admiration for a player's career was off base and was wrong on their predictions of said player.

Oh by the way, I got Blake ranked third in the AFC South right now until I know for sure Andrew Luck's health and how DeShaun Watson reacts once teams truly have film on him.
So an old and not producing Wayne. 2 aging pass rushers. Then you go on to name studs like Tommy Harris, Austin Collie, Fleener and Redding? Yikes dude. Reaching real hard there. Also, let's not forget that only 2 of those players are still Colts. Hilton and Constanzo. So all those "studs" were so great that the team let them walk?

The Colts roster was and still is a bottom 5 roster. I mean... I think they may have the worst roster in the league right now.

I am pretty sure Wayne was a 1000+ yds receiver Luck's first year. And how can you say Luck's line was worse when Bortles was sacked more. I did some research and stat comparisons on the two and while luck has slightly better stats it doesn't prove he's head over heels better than Bortles despite what fans think. The numbers don't lie. I would take Bortles and our defense over luck and their defense both combinations produced and AFC Championship game appearance. Also if I remember correctly Luck enjoys fumbling the ball....a lot. But I could be wrong on that.
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

(04-12-2018, 08:49 AM)Jagwired Wrote: To compare these QB's like that is just stupid. What the hell do you accomplish by doing that? If they were all healthy? What a joke of a network to be the face of the league.

It's  like comparing four apples when three of them are really half squished oranges.

Just plain stupid.

There are some instances in which I could understand making such a stipulation, but the extent of Luck's injury and the complications he's endured make this one pretty tough to sweep under the rug. 

- It's seems practically impossible that Luck will turn in an "at 100" season in 2018. 

- Watson has a tiny sample and is also returning from an injury. And it just so happens to be an injury that could have a major impact on what makes him so dangerous. Anyone feel as confident in Watson's scrambling ability in 2018 as they did last year?  I don't. 

- Mariota is a bit of a crapshoot. He has a tough time staying healthy himself and will need some help from his new OC to limit the turnovers. Keep in mind that this means he's learning a new system in 2018.

- So if you happen to be a believer that Blake took a legit step forward last season, and you further have faith he could do so again... well ,maybe Bortles is really worth some consideration. Maybe not if all four of these guys is "at 100" as the kids say.  But, you know, they aren't.

I think it's time to play the disrespect card. All successful teams use the disrespect card.

I don't think Blake is better than healthy Luck, but he's not far behind when Blake is playing well. I suppose both of those are big "IF"s.

Luck is overrated IMO (bad decisions for a supposedly cerebral QB - constantly on the sideline shaking his head at himself, turnover prone) and Blake is probably underrated. People act as if he's worse than Garrard.

The truth is, Blake is arguably the best QB we've had. Folks will obviously argue Brunell and I get it. I just don't agree. Brunell was special prior to his injury. After that, not so much. His career as a whole (even only considering his time in Jax) wasn't special. He was there in the early glory days, and he has cemented himself as part of team history - but that's it, only nostalgia.

Leftwich and Garrard set QB records here after Brunell. Blake has his share as well. Blake took us to the game only Brunell has. I'd much rather have today Blake than the Brunell that left Jacksonville for Washington. Brunell was a flash in the pan. Blake is showing more promise than he ever has. Yet some are ready to bail on Blake already, and put Brunell on a pedestal (for very little aside from nostalgia.)

So after being pretty long winded... sure, Luck is better (not as wide a margin as it might seem) but may not ever be back, and may not be the same guy he was if he does get back. That even further narrows that margin, and could eliminate it by default if he never plays again.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(04-12-2018, 10:07 AM)pirkster Wrote: I don't think Blake is better than healthy Luck, but he's not far behind when Blake is playing well.  I suppose both of those are big "IF"s.

Luck is overrated IMO (bad decisions for a supposedly cerebral QB - constantly on the sideline shaking his head at himself, turnover prone) and Blake is probably underrated.  People act as if he's worse than Garrard.

The truth is, Blake is arguably the best QB we've had.  Folks will obviously argue Brunell and I get it.  I just don't agree.  Brunell was special prior to his injury.  After that, not so much.  His career as a whole (even only considering his time in Jax) wasn't special.  He was there in the early glory days, and he has cemented himself as part of team history - but that's it, only nostalgia.

Leftwich and Garrard set QB records here after Brunell.  Blake has his share as well.  Blake took us to the game only Brunell has.  I'd much rather have today Blake than the Brunell that left Jacksonville for Washington.  Brunell was a flash in the pan.  Blake is showing more promise than he ever has.  Yet some are ready to bail on Blake already, and put Brunell on a pedestal (for very little aside from nostalgia.)

So after being pretty long winded... sure, Luck is better (not as wide a margin as it might seem) but may not ever be back, and may not be the same guy he was if he does get back.  That even further narrows that margin, and could eliminate it by default if he never plays again.

Fully agree.

I think after this season we'll have a much better idea of where all teams sit with their QBs.
Bortles in his 5th year, 2nd year in the same system, with a helluva OL and RB with serviceable WRs...
Luck, either healthy will get his chance to prove he is what he was supposed to be, another unhealthy year and perhaps he's done as a clot.
Ms. Mary has to prove she can stay healthy and progress as a quarterback. 
Watson, 2nd year player recovering from injury with a new system, if he shines... he could be the "real deal".

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2018, 10:58 AM by Cleatwood.)

(04-12-2018, 09:51 AM)AlsJagsFan Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 08:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: So an old and not producing Wayne. 2 aging pass rushers. Then you go on to name studs like Tommy Harris, Austin Collie, Fleener and Redding? Yikes dude. Reaching real hard there. Also, let's not forget that only 2 of those players are still Colts. Hilton and Constanzo. So all those "studs" were so great that the team let them walk?

I am pretty sure Wayne was a 1000+ yds receiver Luck's first year. And how can you say Luck's line was worse when Bortles was sacked more. I did some research and stat comparisons on the two and while luck has slightly better stats it doesn't prove he's head over heels better than Bortles despite what fans think. The numbers don't lie. I would take Bortles and our defense over luck and their defense both combinations produced and AFC Championship game appearance. Also if I remember correctly Luck enjoys fumbling the ball....a lot. But I could be wrong on that.
You're all over the place here.  

1. Never said the Jags had a better Oline. They were both equally bad at one point and Luck went 11-5. The Jags line has gotten better and the Colts has become worse.
2. Their stats may be similar but Luck took a team that won 1 game and the very next season they go to the playoffs. Blake at one point had more pick 6's than wins.
3. Stats don't make Luck better but dominating the division does. Especially when he was working with a bad defense, no running game and a bad OLine.
4. I would also take Bortles and our defense over Luck and their defense. That's not the point. The point is that Luck has won many games with one of the worst rosters in football. In 2016, everything broke right for the Jags and yet they won 3 games? Blame Bradley because he sucks but Pagano also sucks.
5. Luck may fumble but Blake turns the ball over a ton.
6. Lastly, Luck has 17 game winning drives while Blake has 7.

All in all, when healthy (which is what the initial question asked), Luck is better.

(04-12-2018, 10:07 AM)pirkster Wrote: I don't think Blake is better than healthy Luck, but he's not far behind when Blake is playing well.  I suppose both of those are big "IF"s.

Luck is overrated IMO (bad decisions for a supposedly cerebral QB - constantly on the sideline shaking his head at himself, turnover prone) and Blake is probably underrated.  People act as if he's worse than Garrard.

The truth is, Blake is arguably the best QB we've had.  Folks will obviously argue Brunell and I get it.  I just don't agree.  Brunell was special prior to his injury.  After that, not so much.  His career as a whole (even only considering his time in Jax) wasn't special.  He was there in the early glory days, and he has cemented himself as part of team history - but that's it, only nostalgia.

Leftwich and Garrard set QB records here after Brunell.  Blake has his share as well.  Blake took us to the game only Brunell has.  I'd much rather have today Blake than the Brunell that left Jacksonville for Washington.  Brunell was a flash in the pan.  Blake is showing more promise than he ever has.  Yet some are ready to bail on Blake already, and put Brunell on a pedestal (for very little aside from nostalgia.)

So after being pretty long winded... sure, Luck is better (not as wide a margin as it might seem) but may not ever be back, and may not be the same guy he was if he does get back.  That even further narrows that margin, and could eliminate it by default if he never plays again.
Flash in the pan? He was the QB here for 8 years.

(04-12-2018, 10:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Flash in the pan? He was the QB here for 8 years.

You're smart enough to know he wasn't good here for 8 years.

He flashed before his injury, then fell off a cliff.  That's precisely what a flash in the pan is.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(04-12-2018, 09:51 AM)AlsJagsFan Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 08:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: So an old and not producing Wayne. 2 aging pass rushers. Then you go on to name studs like Tommy Harris, Austin Collie, Fleener and Redding? Yikes dude. Reaching real hard there. Also, let's not forget that only 2 of those players are still Colts. Hilton and Constanzo. So all those "studs" were so great that the team let them walk?

Wayne was there for his rookie year but was gone after that. Luck's line has cost him his throwing shoulder and his spleen. Bortles may have been sacked more but Luck's a better pure passer and he's probably a lot more quick release wise so just because he wasn't sacked as much doesn't mean he wasn't dropping back and getting absolutely hammered into the ground soon after a pass attempt or completion. 

You can talk stats and compare stats but at the end of the day all that matters is the win and loss column and Luck has Bortles beat my many, many miles in that regard. Luck truly inherited a [BLEEP] football team with an okay coaching staff and still managed to go 33 - 15 during his first three years with at least a play-off win in each season. Regardless, they've both had some ups and downs in the NFL due to a lot of things from a gutted roster to a poor coaching staff, etc. 

But if you really want to play the what if game. A healthy Luck, with this ground game and our defense would probably nearly guarantee another trip to the Championship game in 2018. And I like Bortles just as much as any other die hard fan out there. I was ready to write him off after 2016 but he redeemed himself in 2017. And I honestly feel he'll keep building on that in 2018. Hopefully he's not another Alex Smith type where he gets us there but falls short consistently. Hopefully he can drive it all the way home for us. We'll see.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2018, 11:52 AM by Achilles.)

(04-11-2018, 02:47 PM)Kane Wrote: If all 4 QBs are healthy, Blake is probably the 3rd best or a fringe 2nd candidate.

If you are asking me right now if I wanted one QB in our division for a whole season, I'm taking Blake. 

If Watson can stay healthy for a majority of games and replicate his success from last season and then you ask me next year, I'm taking Watson.

Luck is off limits for me until he proves that he can even play in the NFL ever again, and Mariota is a dumpster on wheels so he's last.

Blake could be a better passer, we all know that, but his durability, leadership, and toughness are all extremely undervalued.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2018, 12:05 PM by Cleatwood.)

(04-12-2018, 11:51 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 02:47 PM)Kane Wrote: If all 4 QBs are healthy, Blake is probably the 3rd best or a fringe 2nd candidate.

If you are asking me right now if I wanted one QB in our division for a whole season, I'm taking Blake. 

If Watson can stay healthy for a majority of games and replicate his success from last season and then you ask me next year, I'm taking Watson.

Luck is off limits for me until he proves that he can even play in the NFL ever again, and Mariota is a dumpster on wheels so he's last.

Blake could be a better passer, we all know that, but his durability, leadership, and toughness are all extremely undervalued.
He's been playing in a god awful offensive scheme that didn't play to his strengths. He's far from a dumpster on wheels.

I'm intrigued to see how Mariota plays this season in LaFleurs offense. He could have a big turn around like Goff did.

I also completely agree with your Bortles assessment. I can't wait to see how he performs in this upcoming season. The question is not who do you want going forward but who is better when healthy.

(04-12-2018, 11:51 AM)Achilles Wrote:

Agreed.  Most people don't even want to look at this.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-12-2018, 12:03 PM)Rico Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 11:51 AM)Achilles Wrote: If you are asking me right now if I wanted one QB in our division for a whole season, I'm taking Blake. 

Agreed.  Most people don't even want to look at this.
He's tough as nails. A quick look around the division should put the value of that into perspective. 

But yeah, many fans don't seem to appreciate that enough.

(04-11-2018, 03:08 PM)Rico Wrote: I couldn't care less who the QB is or what anybody thinks of them as long as we get to the Super Bowl.

Agreed.  These rankings are completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  It's just fodder to fill dead air in the build-up to the draft.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(04-12-2018, 08:40 AM)Kane Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 07:21 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Luck gets his stats because he throws more than anyone else. Despite missing all of last season, Luck still has 430 more passing attempts. I think Luck is better but his reputation far exceeds his skill, IMO.

Attempts per game
37.9 v 36
so nah not really...

Luck has about 400 more pass attempts than Bortles, on 8 more games played. It isn't like Luck has actually played that much more football than Bortles.
He also has about 4k more yards 40 more TDs and ONLY 4 more INTs.

To be fair, it is 35.9 vs 37.9. The number isn’t super high comparatively but it’s pretty much another game’s worth of throws.

The best ability is availability.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-12-2018, 12:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 11:51 AM)Achilles Wrote: If you are asking me right now if I wanted one QB in our division for a whole season, I'm taking Blake. 

He's been playing in a god awful offensive scheme that didn't play to his strengths. He's far from a dumpster on wheels.

I'm intrigued to see how Mariota plays this season in LaFleurs offense. He could have a big turn around like Goff did.

I also completely agree with your Bortles assessment. I can't wait to see how he performs in this upcoming season. The question is not who do you want going forward but who is better when healthy.

If we are assuming all of them are healthy and that their risk of further injury isn't a factor I'd rank it 

1. Watson
2. Luck
3. Bortles
4. Mariota

I'm not as hopeful as you are with Mariota. I think once teams dare him to pass, he gets exposed.

When they need points to win he starts to use his legs and he's dangerous, but as we have seen, his body can't hold up.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(04-12-2018, 02:11 PM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 12:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: He's been playing in a god awful offensive scheme that didn't play to his strengths. He's far from a dumpster on wheels.

If we are assuming all of them are healthy and that their risk of further injury isn't a factor I'd rank it 

1. Watson
2. Luck
3. Bortles
4. Mariota

I'm not as hopeful as you are with Mariota. I think once teams dare him to pass, he gets exposed.

When they need points to win he starts to use his legs and he's dangerous, but as we have seen, his body can't hold up.
I'm not hopeful Mariota will be good. I'm hoping he sucks.

I'm just curious if a new offensive scheme will help him become the player the Titans thought he would be.