Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars to keep Myles Jack at Strongsville LB..

Hey-YO!
Quote:It means he's going to put his bike in that positions trunk.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Somewhat

Freaking out something in urbanese implies rearranging or restructuring it.

In my 20s, we freaked out black and mild cigars by taking out the tobacco to remove the light brown paper inside (aka, cancer paper, lol), then repacking some of the tobacco, and adjusting the filter. A very serious process Wink

Yup, make it better than before essentially

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2016, 08:40 AM by irontrooper83.)

Very interesting article on Myles Jack at OTTO by Mike Kaye: http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/nfl.../334912733

Main points:

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Jack watched the tape of his performance and was able to reflect on it during the bye week.

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">"I definitely - kind of being new to the position - left some [tackles for loss] out there," Jack said.

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">"I'm working on that, it's a new position, getting thrown in there, I'm just working on the kinks. I think I can really freak that position out and make it extraordinary."

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Jack was known for his coverage ability at UCLA. While his predecessor at Otto - Dan Skuta- has never been known for coverage, Jack said his role will allow him to focus on his strengths.

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">"There's coverage responsibilities, maybe in due time it'll expand more, but as of right now I'm definitely out in the flats, I'm covering," Jack said. "There will be times when I'll have to play the two receiver, so I'll definitely get to showcase [my coverage ability]."

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Defensive coordinator Todd Wash asked Jack to learn the Otto position in less than a week. While the rookie had his lumps, Wash does see potential for Jack at Otto.

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">“There were some things he could get better at, obviously not playing that position very long he had a couple busts," Wash said.

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">"He definitely has a big upside as we knew that when we drafted him. We still have Skuta. Skuta is battling some injuries and stuff like that. We feel we have two good players and we will see how this week goes for both of them.”

I called it in preseason. Everyone told me I was wrong. Would anybody like to recant his statement that I was wrong about Myles Jack replacing Dan Skuta at Otto?

Quote:I called it in preseason. Everyone told me I was wrong. Would anybody like to recant his statement that I was wrong about Myles Jack replacing Dan Skuta at Otto?

Good job, you should be proud of yourself. Anyway, it was inevitable. We need him on the field and our other two linebackers are playing at an extremely high level. I think they will tweak the responsibilities of the "OTTO" positions slightly to fit Jacks strengths better.

Quote:Good job, you should be proud of yourself. Anyway, it was inevitable. We need him on the field and our other two linebackers are playing at an extremely high level. I think they will tweak the responsibilities of the "OTTO" positions slightly to fit Jacks strengths better.

Like everyone else on the board I was mad at Gus Bradley for not putting Myles Jack on the field the first three weeks. However, Todd Wash is right about needing time to learn a position. As someone pointed out earlier Telvin Smith did not start any games in September during his rookie season. Yes, I am proud of myself for correctly calling Jack's starting job.

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2016, 12:23 PM by jessepeck1213.)

Quote:Like everyone else on the board I was mad at Gus Bradley for not putting Myles Jack on the field the first three weeks. However, Todd Wash is right about needing time to learn a position. As someone pointed out earlier Telvin Smith did not start any games in September during his rookie season. Yes, I am proud of myself for correctly calling Jack's starting job.

Knowing they had Poz and Telvin starting at middle and weakside linebacker they should have had jack learning strong side from the beginning. Then he would have been able to start from week 1. If their plan is to groom him to replace Poz after the season they could have worked on that all of next off season. The kid needed to be on the field from day one. The staff pooped the bed on that one.

Quote:Knowing they had Poz and Telvin starting at middle and weakside linebacker they should have had jack learning strong side from the beginning. Then he would have been able to start from week 1. If their plan is to groom him to replace Poz after the season they could have worked on that all of next off season. The kid needed to be on the field from day one. The staff pooped the bed on that one.

They certainly did, but there is a reason for everything. Now coaches have finally figured out keeping him on the sideline was a big mistake. Although they did so later than the fans wanted, we all know late is better than never.

Quote:Knowing they had Poz and Telvin starting at middle and weakside linebacker they should have had jack learning strong side from the beginning. Then he would have been able to start from week 1. If their plan is to groom him to replace Poz after the season they could have worked on that all of next off season. The kid needed to be on the field from day one. The staff pooped the bed on that one.

I don't think they expected Poz to be playing better than last season, and I don't think they had any intention of Jack being ready to take over at MIKE until at least this point int the season regardless. 

If Poz indeed were struggling in nickel (again)  as everyone anticipated, then right now is when Jack would start playing Poz's role on nickel downs as he'd conceivably be prepared by now and be able to align the defense.

Holding him out while he prepared for that role still makes sense to me. The injury to Skuta put him at OTTO, and that's fine. He'll do fine there until the time comes for him to start taking snaps from Poz. 

Poz playing better than everyone expected in passing situations is a good thing, but it detoured Myles Jack's path to the line-up. 

Jack is getting limited snaps as the staff anticipated he would by this point, it's just at a much less crucial position than what they envisioned. 

I'm glad he's seeing the field and maybe they should have put him there a week sooner when it was clear Poz wasn't so much a liability in coverage as expected. But I don't fault the plan. Improved play from an aging vet just delayed their intentions. 

NYC, "everyone" excludes me. I knew Posluszny is still good enough to keep the starting job all season, barring injury. My preseason prediction was Jack will be Posluszny's backup at Mike but otherwise start at Sam. Cross-training him was a great idea, but coaches did it the wrong way by putting him at Will during preseason. That was the cause for delay in putting him on the field.

Quote:NYC, "everyone" excludes me. I knew Posluszny is still good enough to keep the starting job all season, barring injury. My preseason prediction was Jack will be Posluszny's backup at Mike but otherwise start at Sam. Cross-training him was a great idea, but coaches did it the wrong way by putting him at Will during preseason. That was the cause for delay in putting him on the field.

I agree. Unfortunately.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:They certainly did, but there is a reason for everything. Now coaches have finally figured out keeping him on the sideline was a big mistake. Although they did so later than the fans wanted, we all know late is better than never.
no. Later isnt better than never. The dumbness of Gus has directly affected the outcome of games. This isnt experiment time. The off-season should have shown that skuta is trash and Jack getting snaps was more important than watching skuta suck... just like watching the Joke on his back should've earned him bench time. Until Gus is gone, we are the worst team in the AFC despite having players that'd be probowlers on any other team

Quote:no. Later isnt better than never. The dumbness of Gus has directly affected the outcome of games. This isnt experiment time. The off-season should have shown that skuta is trash and Jack getting snaps was more important than watching skuta suck... just like watching the Joke on his back should've earned him bench time. Until Gus is gone, we are the worst team in the AFC despite having players that'd be probowlers on any other team

If later is not better than never, you don't want it to happen.

Quote:Putting the best players on the field...that's a terrible idea.
Why I have no faith in this coaching staff.  Everyone on this board was 3 games ahead of Gus and Wash on this.  Skuta was doing nothing and the kid still couldn't get on the field.

Quote:Why I have no faith in this coaching staff. Everyone on this board was 3 games ahead of Gus and Wash on this. Skuta was doing nothing and the kid still couldn't get on the field.

How many snaps did skuta have in the first 3 games?

Quote:How many snaps did skuta have in the first 3 games?

Too many.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Too many.

It's a serious question. I get everybody is excited to see jack on the field but let's not act like his presence would have singlehandedly kept us in base regardless of the match-up. With that in mind, he still may not see the field a great deal if the teams we play force us into nickel.

Quote:It's a serious question. I get everybody is excited to see jack on the field but let's not act like his presence would have singlehandedly kept us in base regardless of the match-up. With that in mind, he still may not see the field a great deal if the teams we play force us into nickel.

Yes, the base package is used less, but the best players should be on the field in that situation and that hasn't been the case.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

In all seriousness, I can think of one play in the first theee games that may have turned out much better for the Jags if Jack had been out there instead of Skuta.

Skuta played a whopping 69 snaps over those three games. He played pretty well minus the one play IMO.

I like that Jack is getting playing time. I'm glad.

But his potential impact at OTTO compared to what he'd do playing MIKE on nickel downs is radically reduced. I think it's important to note that.

They were trying to prepare the kid to play where he'd make the greatest impact. I think that was wise considering Poz's pass coverage last season.

Maybe they should have prepped him at SAm instead of WILL, that's a fine gripe. I get that. Legitimate argument.

But also consider Telvin's three big coverage gaffs in preseason. After that happened - Jack took snaps at WILL.

How did Telvin respond? He's playing at a ridiculously high level. Lights out. Maybe that was a fire lighting that needed to happen.

Quote:Why I have no faith in this coaching staff. Everyone on this board was 3 games ahead of Gus and Wash on this. Skuta was doing nothing and the kid still couldn't get on the field.
Exact same thing with Bortles and Henne. There was no reason to start Henne in Blakes rookie season. None.

Blake miraculously learned the playbook in 3 weeks to take the starting job? No. The coaches made a mistake then just like they made a mistake no starting Jack from week 1. Soon they will realize he needs to be in there for nickel too.