Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
** The Official Hurricane Matthew Thread **

Quote:I'm not a submarine guy, but I would guess that the currents and disturbances go down quite deep.

Regarding the part in bold, I'm actually doing the same thing.  We have provisions in the house, plenty of food, generators ready to go, etc.  I'll also do what I didn't do for the last storm.  Put my patio furniture and trash cans inside, and depending on what is projected I may flood my boat.

The bottom line is, anyone not watching this one and/or taking it seriously is probably making a bad mistake.
I would love to have a generator but we would use it so rarely it wouldn't be worth the expense. According to my husband. He's not the one who has to deal with a fridge and freezer of bad food when the power is out long enough. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Damn. Never thought of how far down the water gets churned up.

How far would you estimate that you'd have to be under in order not to feel it?

This one, I'm taking a little more seriously after so many false alarms and storms that were no worse than a bad thunderstorm.

No evac but extra everything else.

Idk...but I remember being at least 400' and taking those rolls.
Have you seen my baseball?

Stay safe guys. It looks like a bad one with the eye hitting close to Jacksonville.

Starting to get a bad feeling about this one...

Quote:I would love to have a generator but we would use it so rarely it wouldn't be worth the expense. According to my husband. He's not the one who has to deal with a fridge and freezer of bad food when the power is out long enough. 

Generators could be had in the "off-season" for way less than they sell for new.  People kind of freak out and run out and buy one anytime a storm approaches, then later decide that it's taking up room and just want to get rid of it.

My first one that I bought was "used", but the only time it was started up was just during maintenance.  I got it at less than half the price that it cost when new.  My second one was an inheritance when my father-in-law passed away.

Being where you live, it's probably not a bad investment.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Starting to get a bad feeling about this one...

I am too.  I don't see massive destruction, but I do think that this one is going to be bad... especially for those that live close to the beach.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Feeling very anxious about this storm down here in South Florida...

We have been fairly lucky for the last ten years but this one is not looking good for us.

Quote:I am too.  I don't see massive destruction, but I do think that this one is going to be bad... especially for those that live close to the beach.
Saw a neighbor boarding up his windows this evening....... :whistling: 

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I know they're saying the beaches may get hit pretty hard.... but does anyone have any info or insight about just west of the intracoastal?  how about the San Pablo area that's just adjacent to the intracoastal?

My neighbors haven't done much yet but I'm starting to get a little worried.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

yall ready to get slammed?

GO Jaguars
;

Quote:I know they're saying the beaches may get hit pretty hard.... but does anyone have any info or insight about just west of the intracoastal?  how about the San Pablo area that's just adjacent to the intracoastal?

My neighbors haven't done much yet but I'm starting to get a little worried.

Yeah. I'm in the exact same boat. Though my biggest issues would be the trees, and I cannot do much about that, especially now.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2016, 02:22 AM by D6.)

Quote:Looks like it's gonna do kind of a Hurricane Floyd thing and parallel the Florida coast. A lot depends on what the high pressure offshore does. If it weakens, Matthew goes out to sea. If it strengthens, Matthew gets pushed in closer to the coast. Almost exactly what happened with Floyd.

Another very powerful hurricane that Hurricane Matthew is being compared to is Hurricane Hazel,  which occurred in 1954:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/.../91489682/

Quote:Feeling very anxious about this storm down here in South Florida...

We have been fairly lucky for the last ten years but this one is not looking good for us.

I hope you and everyone ( and those close to you ) on this Forum in Florida,  Georgia,  the Carolinas,  and other areas being threatened by Hurricane Matthew get through this Hurricane w/o anyone getting hurt.   And no property damage.  

I just looked at the Week 5 schedule. Will it make a difference for the Buccaneers/Panthers game currently scheduled for Monday night?

Quote: I hope you and everyone (and those close to you) on this Forum in Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, and other areas being threatened by Hurricane Matthew get through this Hurricane w/o anyone getting hurt.  And no property damage.  

Thank you. Gainesville is not technically in hurricane zone; whatever rain and strong winds I get are from the outskirts of a named storm. This happened when Hurricane Hermine landed north of Tampa and crossed the state  to the Atlantic. So far I have not seen empty shelves at Publix or received a storm watch in Alachua County. The reports seem to exclude land-locked areas so I think it is just a coastal hurricane with minimal effects where I live.

Quote:Thank you. Gainesville is not technically in hurricane zone; whatever rain and strong winds I get are from the outskirts of a named storm. This happened when Hurricane Hermine landed north of Tampa and crossed the state  to the Atlantic. So far I have not seen empty shelves at Publix or received a storm watch in Alachua County. The reports seem to exclude land-locked areas so I think it is just a coastal hurricane with minimal effects where I live.

Even for you and others not in the Hurricane zone,  having a radio with batteries is recommended.   The threat of tornadoes from Hurricanes,  even from outer bands of the storm,  are a concern.  In case you lose power,  a radio can provide you with important safety related information.

Stay safe all!

So guys, just gonna throw this out there: the latest spaghetti model consensus has the center of a storm packing 115mph winds roughly 50 miles offshore of Jacksonville, and every model run for the last 36 hours or so has been pushing it further and further west. That is not a good trend. Especially if you live by the coast, please stay aware of where this storm is, and consider going inland for a couple of days while Matthew does his thing.

Quote:yall ready to get slammed?

I have not been getting any weather alerts all week. If anything games "slammed" it will be a few trees in someone else's yard.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2016, 08:14 AM by americus 2.0.)

Quote:Even for you and others not in the Hurricane zone, having a radio with batteries is recommended. The threat of tornadoes from Hurricanes, even from outer bands of the storm, are a concern. In case you lose power, a radio can provide you with important safety related information.
Exactly this. There was flash flooding in Jamaica from this storm caused by the outer bands well over 100 miles from the eyewall. Depending on the size of the eye and how close to the coast it is, that could be a serious issue for inland folks.

And thank you for your concern, D6. Hurricanes are no joke and should be taken seriously. I know I don't mess around with them. I would rather be prepared for nothing than unprepared for anything. The Army may have taught me to work harder than smarter-LOL- but they also taught me to be prepared for anything.