Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
** The Official Hurricane Matthew Thread **

Coming our way .....

[Image: hurricane-track.jpg?w=300&h=251]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Looks like it's gonna do kind of a Hurricane Floyd thing and parallel the Florida coast. A lot depends on what the high pressure offshore does. If it weakens, Matthew goes out to sea. If it strengthens, Matthew gets pushed in closer to the coast. Almost exactly what happened with Floyd.

Looks like my ex wife was drivin that damn storm
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We're hoping a cold front comes down from the north sooner than later if it comes up here, sending it out to sea. We are already waterlogged from the last tropical storm and other storms and do not need drenching rain and high winds. Last week a gigantic oak tree on the property fell over, it came right out of the ground roots and all. It hit another tree on it's way down and knocked it out at the roots but it hasn't fallen yet. It will with more rain and high winds. 

We are surrounded by trees on all immediate sides of our home that can cause severe damage if they fall in just the right direction. My husband said when Fran came through back in 96 those trees were bent over the wind was so high. They've had 20 years since then to grow taller and more worrisome. Pine trees and scrub oaks. Oh, and the fun part is they all have branches that are dead and barely hanging on that fall off in moderate to high gusting winds. I don't want to see what happens with sustained winds. He has to work this weekend. I told him if it ends up being a bad storm don't bother to drive the hour home, just stay over there in a hotel close to work. Hell, if it's too bad I'm going to stay in a hotel. I'd rather have brick and mortar around me than a property full of old trees and I'm in the bullseye in a mobile home. 

Quote:Looks like it's gonna do kind of a Hurricane Floyd thing and parallel the Florida coast. A lot depends on what the high pressure offshore does. If it weakens, Matthew goes out to sea. If it strengthens, Matthew gets pushed in closer to the coast. Almost exactly what happened with Floyd.
Was that in 1999? I lived out at the beaches back then and we were evacuated. I went to stay at my dad's house off of Yellow Water Rd near the Baldwin end. We lost power out there. It sucked.

Quote:Was that in 1999? I lived out at the beaches back then and we were evacuated. I went to stay at my dad's house off of Yellow Water Rd near the Baldwin end. We lost power out there. It sucked.

In 1999 I was in New York and they cancelled my flight to Jacksonville because of Floyd.   So we wound up in a hotel in Queens (yuck) because most of the other hotels were taken.   We were re-scheduled to fly out in 2 days, so we went back to LaGuardia 2 days later, and then, they cancelled ALL the flights at LaGuardia because Floyd was heading straight towards New York!  

Since ALL flights were cancelled, ALL the hotels were booked solid, so we were stranded at the airport.   Around 11 PM, there were about 100 of us left in the airport, and they herded us all into one waiting area.   LaGuardia has some big windows, and we watched as the winds caused those windows to bow inward.   Scary.   Then they handed us all these tiny little airline blankets and tiny little airline pillows so we could lie down on the floor and try to get some sleep.   But they had this automated announcement that every 10 minutes, VERY LOUDLY, would tell us not to leave unattended cars in the loading and unloading areas, etc etc etc.  No way we could sleep through that!

By the next morning I was toast.  My brain was fried.  Fortunately, my wife is mentally stronger than I am, and she went from counter to counter and finally managed to get us on a flight out of there. 

That's my Hurricane Floyd memory. 

I'm not a meteorologist, but I am experienced with reading and analyzing forecast models and charts. Take what I'm about to say with that grain of salt.

The high pressure center pushing Matthew towards Florida is strengthening. While landfall in the peninsula doesn't look terribly likely, the odds of this thing drifting close enough to the coast to cause serious problems are not insignificant. If you haven't already loaded up on bottled water, canned food and things you can eat without heating them up, I'd consider doing so now. I'd also be thinking about where you're headed on Thursday if an evacuation is called for.

We (all of Tallahassee) got caught with our pants down on Hermine because the models didn't put it on top of us until the day of, and because it just didn't look until a few hours before hitting land that it would be anywhere near the storm it was. Point being, just because the models have it well offshore for now doesn't mean it'll stay that far out to sea, and now's a good time to make sure you're ready if that westward trend in the models keeps up.

[Image: 80dd38acd3857abb4bf833aa480d03.jpg]

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

The quote is actually "It's coming straight for us!"

Quote:The quote is actually "It's coming straight for us!"

Unless it's tacked starboard.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2016, 05:09 PM by americus 2.0.)

Quote: 

That's my Hurricane Floyd memory. 
Dang dude. That's harsh. Good women who can handle stuff when it gets ugly are rare. I'm one of those who freaks out with anxiety attacks when I have to sit in a doctor's office waiting room but put me in a StuffHitsTheFan situation and I handle things. It's weird.

Beer & bourbon keep me calm...that reminds me, I should probably stock up.

Have you seen my baseball?

Quote:I'm not a meteorologist, but I am experienced with reading and analyzing forecast models and charts. Take what I'm about to say with that grain of salt.

I don't mess around with stuff like this. I prepare for the worst and hope for the best. The food will get eaten either way. The water will be drank (drunk?) either way. Same with batteries and anything else you stock up on. I went to walmart this morning and people were already stocking their carts with stuff. The workers were restocking shelves as fast as they could.

All I know is the beer delivery guys better show up quick or there will be a bunch of really upset country folk and rednecks. 

They're running short on beer?  Americus...don't screw with me.

Quote:They're running short on beer?  Americus...don't screw with me.
Dude, I'm in North Carolina. I think you're good.  :yes:

Unless you're not. You better go get some now!

I'm going after work today.  I don't take silly chances.

My wife just got home with the back of her Pathfinder loaded up with beer and water.  I might actually move our patio furniture into the garage for this one depending on the track tomorrow afternoon.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

This thread is in no way an official thread!! It's missing a couple asterisks!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I have to go home and figure out how to secure the trampoline.

Quote:This thread is in no way an official thread!! It's missing a couple asterisks!!

Well, you're the almight Mod. Do something about it!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!