Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If Bradley goes 10-6

Quote:Bradley has already surpassed Coughlin's worse year and has tied his second worse year in which he had the franchises most accomplished QB, RB, WR, DB, two of their greatest DTs, and greatest DE to work with.

Oh yeah that's right. Never mind. Sign em up for 5 years.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2016, 06:55 AM by C'MON JAGS.)

If Bradley goes 10-6 this year, I just might start to believe in miracles.

Will it make him a good coach?  One 10 win season won't (one good season can always be called a "fluke"). A 2nd 10 win season would sure help and a 3rd 10 win season would probably change a lot of people's minds on that, including mine.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

If Bradley goes 10-6 then I'd say go ahead and extend him for another year on his contract, but no long term deal. I'd want to see him do more than just go 10-6 with tons of talent, which the Jaguars have now, I would want to see him have home field games in the playoffs and at least be competitive for the conference. 10-6 would be enough for me to think he's worthy of another crack at it in 2017, and he'd need to show continual progress, any stagnation or backslides from here on out and Khan should can him.

Quote:Let's say he goes 10-6 and we win the division to make the playoffs. Will you think Bradley is a good coach?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBrOWGvedsA

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Oh yeah that's right. Never mind. Sign em up for 5 years.

Said absolutely nobody.

What's the cliche'...Oh yeah, consistency. No bold moves unless he can produce back to back winning seasons.

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Quote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBrOWGvedsA

Weak.
Huh

Quote:Why the winning season requirement? In his second half of Coughlin's final season, the Jaguars were destroying teams.

Quote:The season they lost 5 of their final 6 games?

Yeppers:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/te...x/2002.htm

Besides being the head coach and GM, Coughlin was also the OC that year. The main failure that year was in offense; the Jags were 9th in scoring defense and 21st in scoring offense. With Brunell, Taylor, and Smith he should have done better.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:1996 bro. Won in the playoffs too
So you're saying that a roster with Brunell, Boselli, Searcy, Andre Rison, Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell, Willie Jackson, Jeff Lageman, Clyde Simmons, Kevin Hardy, Tony Brackens, James Stewart  Natrone Means and Aaron Beasley was untalented?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Wasn't exactly a bad roster. One could argue the team underachieved the first half of the season. When the team was 4-7, he was on the hot seat.
Agreed.

This team would absolutely kill itself with stupid penalties and bizarre turnovers.  There were at least two games early that season-the Rams and Saints, the Jaguars should have won, but due to costly errors, they lost. 

Quote:You don't agree that they overachieved to a 9-7 season and won in the playoffs in just the second season?
From a certain perspective they overachieved.

Under traditional paradigms, second year expansion teams would not be expected to be close to playoff contention.

Under traditional paradigms, teams that start 4-7 typically don't expect to wind up in the conference championship games the same season.

From those perspectives, yes the team over achieved.

But from a talent perspective, this was very much a playoff team once they got it together.  The nucleus that formed this group had a run of four straight playoff seasons, which shows the 1996 run was no fluke.

Quote:I'm with you, .500 is the minimum I'm willing to accept this season.
That's pretty much it for me too. Given the 'paper' upgrades and experience on the team now, and the relatively weak division we're in, doing less than a .500 season this year is unacceptable to the point that it should be a terminal HC career event for Gus in J'ville... if it should take place. Let's hope it doesn't.

Quote:Coughlin's first year was the worst team we've EVER had here and they won 4 games. Coughlin's second year roster is probably about what we have now in terms of talent, let's see if Gus can do anything with it. I'm betting he doesn't.

Actually, I think you've made a really good comparison here.  The talent infusion that the team got in the 1996 offseason is very comparable to what we see now.  1996 offseason added Natrone Means, Kevin Hardy, Tony Brackens, and Aaron Beasley.  Took a while for them all to gel, but they got there by midseason.

And I think that comparison helps us understand the team development process.  In 1995 the Jaguars were given double the normal amount of draft picks and an expansion draft.  That's almost three offseasons worth of improvement.  So it makes sense that it would take Dave and Gus 3 seasons to get to a point that Coughlin was able to reach in two seasons.

My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

If Jags go 10-6 I say improved but needs at least another playoff season to say he is a "good" coach. I will have to give him credit though as his rosters have for the most part been terrible until this coming season.

Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

Quote:Actually, I think you've made a really good comparison here.  The talent infusion that the team got in the 1996 offseason is very comparable to what we see now.  1996 offseason added Natrone Means, Kevin Hardy, Tony Brackens, and Aaron Beasley.  Took a while for them all to gel, but they got there by midseason.

And I think that comparison helps us understand the team development process.  In 1995 the Jaguars were given double the normal amount of draft picks and an expansion draft.  That's almost three offseasons worth of improvement.  So it makes sense that it would take Dave and Gus 3 seasons to get to a point that Coughlin was able to reach in two seasons.
It also added Keenan McCardell, Andre Rison, Clyde Simmons, and Ben Coleman.

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2016, 04:10 PM by RicoTx.)

Quote:It also added Keenan McCardell, Andre Rison, Clyde Simmons, and Ben Coleman.

Ben Coleman.

Leon Searcy.

Jurko.

Eddie Robinson.

Look at the turnover in the lineup between 1995 and 1996.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:So you're saying that a roster with Brunell, Boselli, Searcy, Andre Rison, Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell, Willie Jackson, Jeff Lageman, Clyde Simmons, Kevin Hardy, Tony Brackens, James Stewart Natrone Means and Aaron Beasley was untalented?

I never said it was untalented. I said they over achieved in what was only the second year of a new franchise. The current rebuild is as close to that comparison as possible and Gus has not shown to take a young group of talent and over achieve. It's not that difficult to understand. It's not a total knock on Gus either. He has this year to prove he can lead a talented team to a mediocre 8-8 season. All we have to do is sit back and watch if he can do it. Will see...

Quote:From a certain perspective they overachieved.

Under traditional paradigms, second year expansion teams would not be expected to be close to playoff contention.

Under traditional paradigms, teams that start 4-7 typically don't expect to wind up in the conference championship games the same season.

From those perspectives, yes the team over achieved.

But from a talent perspective, this was very much a playoff team once they got it together. The nucleus that formed this group had a run of four straight playoff seasons, which shows the 1996 run was no fluke.

That's great! The beauty of your post is that it proves my point that TC was a good coach and Gus has yet to prove that distinction to be true. But for the Gus huggers like your self there's still hope this year. I just want to win regardless who the head coach is.

My AFC S prediction...

Jaguars 10-6 (clinch crown by sweeping Texans)

Texans 10-6

Colts 7-9

Titans 4-12

'02

Quote:My AFC S prediction...

Jaguars 10-6 (clinch crown by sweeping Texans)

Texans 10-6

Colts 7-9

Titans 4-12

I have a hard time seeing the texans winning 10 games if they don't get two from the Jaguars.