Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ole Miss

Quote:You tell me where they get the money to go to clubs.

The burden of proof is on you. You said they don't have personal lives and are forced to hang out on campus because they are broke.

I'm friends with several players that played at Michigan and have gone out to clubs with them. They certainly have social lives, take girls on dates, etc. You're the one that said they don't when I know for a fact that they do.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The burden of proof is on you. You said they don't have personal lives and are forced to hang out on campus because they are broke.

I'm friends with several players that played at Michigan and have gone out to clubs with them. They certainly have social lives, take girls on dates, etc. You're the one that said they don't when I know for a fact that they do.

Based on the amount of players that get in trouble every year all over the country...sitting home, twiddling their thumbs, seems to be the last thing that's going on.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Come on man. Do you actually think they're paying to get in? Or paying to get drinks?

This is one thing. Whenever I visited Ann Arbor, I absolutely never had to pay cover or wait in line and I wasn't even a player. It was a "is he with you? cool, he's good" thing.

Another thing is that their "cost of living" expenses are all high estimates. For example, they might get allotted $700 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment and $200 a month for food, but get a 3 bedroom apartment with roommates and only end up needing $450 a month for rent and $100 a month for food. There is $350 extra dollars a month for stuff like going out, taking girls on dates, etc.

I don't know or care what exact numbers are, but I do know for a fact that players have very active social lives and it's well within the rules.

Quote:No one is forcing these kids to join a team, are they? The only reason they want to play college ball is because they all think they're good enough to go on to the next level...pro ball. Sad fact of life is, most are not. So get rid of college to the pros and have minor league teams like they do with baseball. Then they can get paid a salary and we won't have to hear about how awful these poor modern day slaves are being treated for only getting food, shelter and an education worth tens of thousands and sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars depending on the school.

Please excuse me while I go wipe away the tear forming in my eye as I think about these poor downtrodden souls. Forget the starving children in Africa...think of the athletes!!! Rolleyes
No one is being asked to feel sorry for these kids, or shed a tear. It has everything to do with the Fact that these individuals using the students abilities to generate money for themselves and/or the school. The kids should be able to see some monetary return on what they have created. The value of the scholarship has been far surpassed by what the kid/s are bringing to the schools. The scholarship is but a fraction of what they earn schools. Not to mention the scholarships aren't even coming out of school funds. They are donor backed funds. What the kids bring in right now is pure profit. When Joe Blow starts bringing in money for the school, I will say he needs to see a piece of the action too. 

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:No one is being asked to feel sorry for these kids, or shed a tear. It has everything to do with the Fact that these individuals using the students abilities to generate money for themselves and/or the school. The kids should be able to see some monetary return on what they have created. The value of the scholarship has been far surpassed by what the kid/s are bringing to the schools. The scholarship is but a fraction of what they earn schools. Not to mention the scholarships aren't even coming out of school funds. They are donor backed funds. What the kids bring in right now is pure profit. When Joe Blow starts bringing in money for the school, I will say he needs to see a piece of the action too.

High school football players generate money for the school...should we start paying them too? Does Pop Warner earn a dime? Better give those kids some cash too. How far do you want to go with this?

Quote:High school football players generate money for the school...should we start paying them too? Does Pop Warner earn a dime? Better give those kids some cash too. How far do you want to go with this?
If you paid high school kids, the top schools might be able to give them 200 a year. Sure, pay them. 

I see a huge difference in high school and college kids generating money. High school kids help create a gate five nights a season that costs $6-7 a ticket. College kids have a gate where I would guess the average ticket price is $30-35. T-shirts, hats, commercials, schools peddling products because of the program, etc., etc., etc., etc.

;

Quote:If you paid high school kids, the top schools might be able to give them 200 a year. Sure, pay them. 

I see a huge difference in high school and college kids generating money. High school kids help create a gate five nights a season that costs $6-7 a ticket. College kids have a gate where I would guess the average ticket price is $30-35. T-shirts, hats, commercials, schools peddling products because of the program, etc., etc., etc., etc.

It's still money they are earning off the backs of the players...and the high school players aren't recieving any kind of compensation for what the do.

Quote:Come on man. Do you actually think they're paying to get in? Or paying to get drinks?

No I don't. That's kind of my point.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:The burden of proof is on you. You said they don't have personal lives and are forced to hang out on campus because they are broke.

And they have money to afford cars, tattoos, fancy dinners, fancy jewelry.

It's a good thing their apartments only cost $500 a month because that extra $200 or whatever you were talking about reeeeaaaallly goes a long way.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:And they have money to afford cars, tattoos, fancy dinners, fancy jewelry.

It's a good thing their apartments only cost $500 a month because that extra $200 or whatever you were talking about reeeeaaaallly goes a long way.

I'm not sure why you are being a dick about this. I'm straight up telling you that the players I knew did not nearly struggle the way you have been told and are implying they do. Like I said, I don't know or care what the the actual numbers are, so you repeating that is... again.... you intentionally being confrontational for some reason. What I do know is that players certainly have very active social lives and I'd appreciate if you showed a tad bit of respect during this discussion. 

FWIW, I don't really have an opinion one way or another on whether or not college players should get some sort of salary.

All I'm saying is that, even in the current system, these guys aren't struggling to get by. Anyone implying that these players "don't get to do anything off campus" because they are too broke is being disingenuous.

Quote:I'm not sure why you are being a [BAD WORD REMOVED] about this. I'm straight up telling you that the players I knew did not nearly struggle the way you have been told and are implying they do. Like I said, I don't know or care what the the actual numbers are, so you repeating that is... again.... you intentionally being confrontational for some reason. What I do know is that players certainly have very active social lives and I'd appreciate if you showed a tad bit of respect during this discussion.

My original point is that they don't really have any of their own money, not that they don't have social lives.

Quote:I'm not sure why you are being a [BAD WORD REMOVED] about this. I'm straight up telling you that the players I knew did not nearly struggle the way you have been told and are implying they do. Like I said, I don't know or care what the the actual numbers are, so you repeating that is... again.... you intentionally being confrontational for some reason. What I do know is that players certainly have very active social lives and I'd appreciate if you showed a tad bit of respect during this discussion.

Also, stop being so sensitive, as if you're the queen of England and I owe you anything. I'm also trying to have a discussion, just because you had whatever experiences in Michigan whether those are even real or not, doesn't change the fact that these kids usually have no money, get free gifts all the time, and the higher profile they get, the more likely they get caught for it.

Something has to change. Idk what the proper course of action is, but as of right now, college athletes, especially football players are being exploited.

Quote:It's still money they are earning off the backs of the players...and the high school players aren't recieving any kind of compensation for what the do.
Then give them their 10.25 and call it a day. I am all for it then. 

But the example comparing high school to college level athletics is quite terrible. Truly apples to oranges. Having done both, there are huge differences all around. The demand level is no where near what high school is. 

;

Quote:Also, stop being so sensitive, as if you're the queen of England and I owe you anything. I'm also trying to have a discussion, just because you had whatever experiences in Michigan whether those are even real or not, doesn't change the fact that these kids usually have no money, get free gifts all the time, and the higher profile they get, the more likely they get caught for it.

Something has to change. Idk what the proper course of action is, but as of right now, college athletes, especially football players are being exploited.

You don't "owe me" anything, but if you were objective you'd be interested in the other side of the discussion. When you make light of and/or ignore the other side of the discussion, you come off as pushing an agenda. That's all I'm saying.