Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ole Miss

And...discuss.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He admitted what every college football fan with half a brain already knew. How else do you think top flight talent chooses Ole Miss over elite schools?

Quote:He admitted what every college football fan with half a brain already knew. How else do you think top flight talent chooses Ole Miss over elite schools?
True, but it's the NCAA having to go find proof to lay down a punishment. These schools can cover it up pretty good. Last night Tunsil dropped a bomb on Ole Miss.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:True, but it's the NCAA having to go find proof to lay down a punishment. These schools can cover it up pretty good. Last night Tunsil dropped a bomb on Ole Miss.

Yep. Everyone cheats, but it's about how well you cover your tracks.

It's funny, when I read Warchant, there's some FSU fans that swear on their life FSU is clean and does everything by the book. It happens everywhere today.

Everybody cheats. Everybody. Nobody in college football is completely innocent. The problem for Ole Miss is even if those texts turn out to be a fake (which they could), Tunsil admitted that he took money from a coach. Not a booster... A coach.

This may get the SMU treatment. Either way, if it's found to be true, the AD and Freeze will most likely be gone.

Quote:Yep. Everyone cheats, but it's about how well you cover your tracks.

It's funny, when I read Warchant, there's some FSU fans that swear on their life FSU is clean and does everything by the book. It happens everywhere today.

Warchant is ridiculous.

I would be concerned with Tunsil if I was a fan of the Titans. He has issues. The guy not only throws his school and team under the bus, but his coach was there in the back room with him (I am pretty sure I saw Freeze). And his reaction and comments to the picture were a bit odd to me. To me I would think it would be more of a no comment, but he elaborated on it a bit much I though.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:I would be concerned with Tunsil if I was a fan of the Titans. He has issues. The guy not only throws his school and team under the bus, but his coach was there in the back room with him (I am pretty sure I saw Freeze). And his reaction and comments to the picture were a bit odd to me. To me I would think it would be more of a no comment, but he elaborated on it a bit much I though.
Given that he released a statement during the draft acknowledging that it was him under the mask, I think his agent told him not to hide anything for fear of causing his stock to tank even further. I doubt his agent intended him to throw his college coaching staff under a bus, run over them, back over them again in reverse, then pull forward just enough to leave them pinned underneath before catching a plane to Miami.

He may not have meant to do it, but....he did.  He was taking money from a coaching staff, his instagram was hacked and it was posted, and only 5 minutes later he is being asked questions...if it was you or I, wouldn't we be smart enough to either give an answer that either defers the question to later or flat out says no comment? 

The NCAA can not question him without his consent in this matter....it could all have been no comment, no comment, no comment.  Instead he speaks with an unprepared statement like we see all the other players do.  Not smart.

Quote:He admitted what every college football fan with half a brain already knew. How else do you think top flight talent chooses Ole Miss over elite schools?

I had wondered for a long time about them..

I think the NCAA needs to quit playing both sides of the fence and pay these kids a little bit of that cheddar. They sit back and make billions knowing the struggle these kids have to go through, and then they drop the hammer on a school for doing something everyone knows damn well every school has probably done at least once. Doesnt make any sense to me, but that goes for about 191% of things the uber rich do, so its nothing new here. 

The NCAA made 989mm in 2015 with 908.6mm in expenses.  Net profit of 80.4mm.

I found an article from the spring of 2012 (that it wont allow me to post here) that says that only 8 schools that year turned a profit.  The others have to pull money directly from the school in student fees, general funds, and government appropriations.

The major schools could possibly pay the income, but these schools that don't have massive turn outs of fans and income isn't quite free flowing would have major difficulties.

Quote:The NCAA made 989mm in 2015 with 908.6mm in expenses.  Net profit of 80.4mm.

I found an article from the spring of 2012 (that it wont allow me to post here) that says that only 8 schools that year turned a profit.  The others have to pull money directly from the school in student fees, general funds, and government appropriations.

The major schools could possibly pay the income, but these schools that don't have massive turn outs of fans and income isn't quite free flowing would have major difficulties.

What would happen is we'd end up with a couple of New York Yankees type programs that could afford to pay for talent and the same schools winning the championships year after year...
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Exactly Bch.  You'd have a few programs win recruits by offering the most money and the ones that don't will suffer.

IF they are going to do this, every school must give the same amount.  Every division one school.

Why not simply refuse to provide college institutions with Tax dollars (unless they are a community college), and demand that the College players be paid due to the revenue they bring towards those institutions while risking their physical health long term?

Between free housing, food, apparel, education, etc..... college players are pretty well compensated. It's not like these kids have to work day jobs to get by in college. Everything is paid for.

Quote:Between free housing, food, apparel, education, etc..... college players are pretty well compensated. It's not like these kids have to work day jobs to get by in college. Everything is paid for.

Where are they going that they get food and apparel?

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Where are they going that they get food and apparel?

What schools don't give their players free team gear? Team shirts, sweatshirts, pants, shoes, etc. The athletic department pays for that stuff just about everywhere I'd think. Heck, even the kids that went to the local community college near me got free apparel.

Food is included in their "room and board" stipends. Part of the scholarship goes towards X amount of money for room and board.

:pirate:

Quote:Between free housing, food, apparel, education, etc..... college players are pretty well compensated. It's not like these kids have to work day jobs to get by in college. Everything is paid for.

you forgot to mention the free diploma.   Dexter Manley graduated from Oklahoma State and couldn't even read.