Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Week 1 vs Packers

Quote:A 1:00 pm game. Let's hope it's 93 that day and they wilt in the second half.

There's a very good chance the Jaguars will be wearing their white jerseys that afternoon.   

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:  My take on the Packers Offensive Line is pretty much along the lines as what you expressed.    The only two differences to some extent are I probably would rate Josh Sitton a half a peg lower and I would put the other two Packers interior Offensive Line on a similar level as B. Bulaga,  

Like you mentioned,   from my point of view the Packers Offensive Line when they have all their pieces at a relatively healthy level is better collectively than the individuals parts.   Other than Bulaga,  all of their starters are former mid round picks.   That's the part of the draft that G.M. Ted Thompson probably does his best work.

I'm not the biggest fan of TJ Lang and I thought Linsley had a down second season, otherwise I would have considered him on a similar level as Bulaga. Also not including Sitton's horrible start at left tackle, which was a dumb move by McCarthy, he only gave up three sacks all season and also had a 42 game streak without giving up a sack. I think he's a very underrated guard in this league.

Because of where I live, I see that line play week in and week out throughout the season. Once they added Bahktiari and Linsley, they went from one of the worst lines in football to a fringe top 10 line. Ted should probably try to work some of his midround magic again this draft because Lane Taylor, JC Tretter, and Don Barclay aren't cutting it as backups.

Quote:I'm not the biggest fan of TJ Lang and I thought Linsley had a down second season, otherwise I would have considered him on a similar level as Bulaga. Also not including Sitton's horrible start at left tackle, which was a dumb move by McCarthy, he only gave up three sacks all season and also had a 42 game streak without giving up a sack. I think he's a very underrated guard in this league.

Because of where I live, I see that line play week in and week out throughout the season. Once they added Bahktiari and Linsley, they went from one of the worst lines in football to a fringe top 10 line. Ted should probably try to work some of his midround magic again this draft because Lane Taylor, JC Tretter, and Don Barclay aren't cutting it as backups.

I think the primary reason for Corey Linsley's down season is he wasn't relatively healthy a good portion of the season.   This coming season likely will decide the direction of his career.   Linsley exceeded practically everyone's expectations as a rookie after JC Tretter suffered an injury in the summer.  

In the past,  I had a similar assessment of Josh Sitton as you.   In the present though,  it seems like that wear and tear is starting to catch up to him at least a little.   Sitton has had some epic battles over the years, including 2 a season with former Lions DT Ndamukong Suh.   It eventually takes it's toll on the body.  

Along with WR,  Ted Thompson probably will spend multiple picks on Offense on the Packers Offensive Line.   There's no question that Don Barclay isn't a solution.   He regressed badly last season when called into action at RT.  

Quote:   I think the primary reason for Corey Linsley's down season is he wasn't relatively healthy a good portion of the season.   This coming season likely will decide the direction of his career.   Linsley exceeded practically everyone's expectations as a rookie after JC Tretter suffered an injury in the summer.  

In the past,  I had a similar assessment of Josh Sitton as you.   In the present though,  it seems like that wear and tear is starting to catch up to him at least a little.   Sitton has had some epic battles over the years, including 2 a season with former Lions DT Ndamukong Suh.   It eventually takes it's toll on the body.  

Along with WR,  Ted Thompson probably will spend multiple picks on Offense on the Packers Offensive Line.   There's no question that Don Barclay isn't a solution.   He regressed badly last season when called into action at RT.  

That's a fair point on Linsley, I'd just like to see another good season before I'd consider him more than a solid starting center. I'm more willing to give Sitton the benefit of the doubt because I've seen him do it for years, but as you said he's had some serious wear and tear over his nine years.

I completely agree with you on the bolded part there, but I don't think he's going to invest in a WR this draft. I really think they are banking on Janis and Abbrederis elevating their play, which I personally wouldn't count on. They should add another speedster to take pressure off all their possession receivers since Jordy is coming back from an ACL and he's over 30, but I don't see room for one on the roster if they plan on keeping those two around.

Nelson, Cobb, and Montgomery are all completely safe in my opinion. Adams, Janis, and Abbrederis will likely round out the corps.

Quote:Come on now. We get Rodgers week 1. Anybody really think Gus is gonna whip up a defensive game plan to stop him? Probably rush 4 and drop into soft zone the entire game. I'm sure Blake and the Allens will be able to keep up for a little bit. Not like Gus will care, winning isn't his goal after all.

Packers 51 Jags 28

You said defensive game plan lol

Quote:I'm not the biggest fan of TJ Lang and I thought Linsley had a down second season, otherwise I would have considered him on a similar level as Bulaga. Also not including Sitton's horrible start at left tackle, which was a dumb move by McCarthy, he only gave up three sacks all season and also had a 42 game streak without giving up a sack. I think he's a very underrated guard in this league.

Where do you live?

Quote:That stretch from week 9 to week 15 will be particularly brutal (not to mention facing Khalil Mack week 7). Bortles will be facing some really good D-lines. Almost convinces me that we should continue to invest in O-lineman in the draft post round 1 for insurance purposes. You can't have enough protection.

It's a QB league and that stretch is particularly light on quality QBs. I see a whole lotta Alex Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, Brock Osweiler, and whatever the hell Denver is going to roll out there.

Not too worried about it, really.

Quote:Where do you live?

About 45 minutes away from Lambeau.

Quote:About 45 minutes away from Lambeau.

Oh, interesting. I live in Northern Wisconsin (originally a Yooper).

I've got a friend working to make the Packers 53 man roster this year and got a nice little boost with Raji's retirement and Pennel's suspension.

Quote:Oh, interesting. I live in Northern Wisconsin (originally a Yooper).

I've got a friend working to make the Packers 53 man roster this year and got a nice little boost with Raji's retirement and Pennel's suspension.

I'm technically in northeast Wisconsin, but I'm 45 minutes south of Green Bay. There's a handful of other Wisconsin Jags fans who post on here, at least from what I can tell by their location listed under their post count, but not too many.

Judging by your username, would that friend happen to be William Campbell?

Quote:I'm technically in northeast Wisconsin, but I'm 45 minutes south of Green Bay. There's a handful of other Wisconsin Jags fans who post on here, at least from what I can tell by their location listed under their post count, but not too many.

Judging by your username, would that friend happen to be William Campbell?

Nice. I remember tailgating meeting some posters from here back in 2004 and meeting JDR's parents. I was only 15 then but it was pretty sweet still.

And yeah, Will and I are pretty good friends. He'll probably stand up in my wedding whenever that day comes. He played DT at Michigan, but was drafted as a project OG. The Packers brought him in to compete at DT so hopefully it sticks.

I'm very happy to play the packers week 1. Like others have said its a better shot at getting the upset against them before they get into gear.

I'm leaning towards a win right now even but I'm just hyped for it be season time already!

Quote:Nice. I remember tailgating meeting some posters from here back in 2004 and meeting JDR's parents. I was only 15 then but it was pretty sweet still.

And yeah, Will and I are pretty good friends. He'll probably stand up in my wedding whenever that day comes. He played DT at Michigan, but was drafted as a project OG. The Packers brought him in to compete at DT so hopefully it sticks.

Ah, cool. They're also moving Datone Jones out to linebacker, so that'll help him a bit too. Though I'm pretty confident they'll bring in a couple linemen via the draft.

To get back on topic a bit, Mike Silver is predicting a week 1 victory for us against Green Bay: https://www.nfl.com/embed/video?videoUrl...4_700k.mp4

I have a really good feeling about this game.

Quote:I'm very happy to play the packers week 1. Like others have said its a better shot at getting the upset against them before they get into gear.

I'm leaning towards a win right now even but I'm just hyped for it be season time already!

The Jaguars played the Panthers in week 1 whom went to the Super Bowl, last year a lot of teams thought that the Packers might have made a SB appearance before the season had started so it's good for the franchise to get a lot of attention at the start of the season.

I live like 6 blocks from Lambeau actually and I'm a Die Hard Jaguars fan I will be attending this game with my wife (die hard Packers fan) and then the Bears game with my brother (A Bear fan)

Houston have to play @ Broncos, Raiders & Packers.

Thankfully we get Broncos, Raiders & Packers in Jax

Quote:Houston have to play @ Broncos, Raiders & Packers.

Thankfully we get Broncos, Raiders & Packers in Jax

Colts also play @ Broncos, Raiders & Packers

Plus a first time playing in London for the Colts.

Any thoughts?

Quote:  I haven't bet on a football game in decades.  But if the Jaguars are 10 or more underdogs at home to the Packers,   I might make an exception.    Even with the perception factor,   the Jaguars are too talented to be double digit underdogs at home against any team if Blake Bortles is in one piece.  
Don't kid yourself; We still are an over all weaker team than the packers. With the combined weakness on our o-line (l-tackle and center) and our secondary, we could be exploited without mercy and could easily be double digit losers... again.

I believe this game will be close. Its hard to say who wins or lose. Bortles could come out on fire, and Rodgers could have one of those bad games or Vice Versa...I believe winning this games for the Jags is more important to the jags tho.. If they can pull off the upset the media attention would be great for the team and city... Lets go jags!