Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Are we built to win now?

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2016, 03:58 PM by FTLJagFan.)

Quote:Like I said, don't even bring up offensive players, Gus benefitted from a WRs coach that he didn't even hire, and Bortles has been groomed by the offensive staff, not Gus. Gus wasn't even intelligent enough to notice that Fisch had no business anywhere near an NFL offense.

Gus is responsible for his staff. Any development any member of the staff did for any player on the roster reflects on Gus, as he has final call on his subordinates. 

Telvin, still the same guy he's always been, fast, plays with effort, can't cover. Marks is the only guy that can have an argument made for him because he wasn't productive in tennessee, but he was also a high draft pick. They played him out of position. I'd credit Caldwell with finding someone that fit Gus's 1+1 defensive answer before I'd credit Gus with actually developing a player.

I am sure Caldwell is due some credit for bringing him in. Pick 62 is high? Don't get me wrong, end of second wrong isn't terrible, but not like top 10. And however you dislike crediting player development the last 3 years, I think it is a stretch to say he didn't get better under the coaching staff. 

Really it's pretty silly that you're accusing me of fabrication. Gus has literally shown nothing in three years to show he's a difference making, or even decent head coach, yet here we are with people like you saying the equivalent of "lol, if wayne hired and extended him then Gene Smith must be great," just with Gus instead of Gene.

My take on player development is a bit different than some other folks. I think very few head coaches have qa major role in player development and coaching fundamentals. They hire and fire the folks that do, and are responsible for course corrections. The also have a big effect on the daily routine and the culture of an organization. I think Gus has done a very good job of keeping things moving in a positive direction even when there wasn't too much positive about the roster at the time. 

Your comments about Sullivan and Fisch are interesting. You give Gus no credit for keeping a good coach, or for releasing a bad one. I think the decision was harder for Gus and Babich given their history, But he did make the decision there as well. I really don't care too much about the argument, because first, the decision on Gus isn't mine to make, and second, this year will go a long way in settling it. Still, your thoughts on what the head coach does and what he is responsible for are interesting to me. 

<p class="bbc_left">Education is the cheap defense of nations. - Edmund Burke

<p class="bbc_left"> 

<p class="bbc_left">Or is it from Burke? I tried finding the source, and looked through some of his writings, no luck. Anybody with google-fu got a citation of the source?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: 

<p style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">"We had a team meeting when we initially started training camp and we talked, our objective is to build a team that owns the AFC South.  And that means year-in and year-out, we're owning the AFC and the South division."

<p style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">"This year, we built the team. It's built and it's time"

2016**

** Very likely to become

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Jags won't be a winning team until they are moved to london. Thier first season in London Jags will go 9-7.  unforttanttly this year will be a long one. 2-14. at best.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Quote:Jags won't be a winning team until they are moved to london. Thier first season in London Jags will go 9-7.  unforttanttly this year will be a long one. 2-14. at best.
I don't get how you predicted 7 wins last year, but now expect 2 with a more experienced and improved roster.

Quote:Jags won't be a winning team until they are moved to london. Thier first season in London Jags will go 9-7.  unforttanttly this year will be a long one. 2-14. at best.
you dont know football

Quote:The Oreo Blizzard at Dairy Queen is pretty good.
Gus makes a mean one of those as well.  Got to impress the new hires.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

[Image: 54166380.jpg]

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

The real question is, is that what your dad believes?

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2016, 08:00 PM by MalabarJag.)

Quote:<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">My take on player development is a bit different than some other folks. I think very few head coaches have qa major role in player development and coaching fundamentals. They hire and fire the folks that do, and are responsible for course corrections. The also have a big effect on the daily routine and the culture of an organization. I think Gus has done a very good job of keeping things moving in a positive direction even when there wasn't too much positive about the roster at the time. 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Your comments about Sullivan and Fisch are interesting. You give Gus no credit for keeping a good coach, or for releasing a bad one. I think the decision was harder for Gus and Babich given their history, But he did make the decision there as well. I really don't care too much about the argument, because first, the decision on Gus isn't mine to make, and second, this year will go a long way in settling it. Still, your thoughts on what the head coach does and what he is responsible for are interesting to me. 

Gus released Fisch because someone higher up insisted he do it. That's according to Alfie, and while I frequently find Alfie annoying and clueless, I haven't found him to make things up and he had no reason to lie about that.
 While I haven't read anything similar this time, I have my doubts that Gus was the one who decided to fire Babich after the season.

After the first Houston game last year it was clear that the defense was being mismanaged. That was a season where a few changes on defense could have been the difference between a division championship and a top five pick. Ask yourself, why wasn't Babich fired in mid-season and Wash installed as DC at that time?
 Is Gus that dense that he couldn't see it then, and had to wait until after the season to figure out that Babich wasn't very good? Or did Gus choose friendship over a chance at winning?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Gus released Fisch because someone higher up insisted he do it. That's according to Alfie, and while I frequently find Alfie annoying and clueless, I haven't found him to make things up and he had no reason to lie about that.
 While I haven't read anything similar this time, I have my doubts that Gus was the one who decided to fire Babich after the season.

From everything I had understood, Gus has always had final say in matters of who he chooses for his staff. I have no doubt that others communicated how they felt about certain coaches, but that is not the same. 

After the first Houston game last year it was clear that the defense was being mismanaged. That was a season where a few changes on defense could have been the difference between a division championship and a top five pick. Ask yourself, why wasn't Babich fired in mid-season and Wash installed as DC at that time?
 Is Gus that dense that he couldn't see it then, and had to wait until after the season to figure out that Babich wasn't very good? Or did Gus choose friendship over a chance at winning?

Well, according to what you said above, I guess that someone higher up would have to answer for it, as Gus doesn't have hiring authority. But presuming he really does, it is probably consistent with what Shad said about making changes in the middle of the year in London. A general organizational policy. (Although I imagine if Gus REALLY thought it was necessary, he could have made a change). I know I wouldn't have wanted to try to do a defensive coordinator search in mid-season. 

<p class="bbc_left">Education is the cheap defense of nations. - Edmund Burke

<p class="bbc_left"> 

<p class="bbc_left">Or is it from Burke? I tried finding the source, and looked through some of his writings, no luck. Anybody with google-fu got a citation of the source?

Some of you guys sure do type a lot.

This team was ready last year.  They lost games for fluky reasons.  Wiz airmails a cheap TD to the Titans.  Corey grant fumbles late.  Nick Marshall fumbles late.  Jason Myers misses late.  Jason Myers misses again in OT. 

In 2016, those rookie mistakes are behind us.  There's a significant influx of FA talent.  The offensive core is a year older.  Dave will get more impact players in the draft.  We get back Fowler, Mark and Sample.  It sets up for a lot more victories.  Could be a tough schedule but I expect 8-10 wins. 

Quote:Assuming we get a CB, DE, and a LB early in the draft.

I'm pretty sure we have enough picks to get a center and go BAP after that.

Are we built to win now or do I need to be cautious with my excitement?

Thoughts

The Defense got ignored with the exception of a piece here or there like getting a steal in the 5th round with Telvin Smith WOLB, nickel Cornerback (although now suspended for four games this season for drug abuse, was a steal due to him being injured falling so far in the draft) Aaron Colvin, (a lot of great steals on offense side too), but this is the draft that the GM is going to dedicate almost entirely to the defense (so he said publicly)

The team needed a FS for like almost a decade but signing Free Agent Gipson really addressed it in a way that Serigo Brown never could have done, but it wouldn't hurt to get another great safety (strong, and Free).  Many think that signing Prince simply solved the cornerback problem but he's only one guy signed to only one year (whom gets injured a lot) the team really needs another corner in this draft or DB in general in one of the top rounds 1st to 3rd if not all three?  The problem is they also have a veteran aging injured often MILB in Poz with no real depth at that position.  Then they had FA Skuta play SOLB about as good as Serigo had done FS meaning they really need to draft a LB bad maybe two MILB & SOLB (I'm thinking 1st or 2nd round for MILB where SOLB can go in the 4th to 6th round.   They had drafted Fowler Jr to fix their LEO problem but he tore his ACL & nobody really knows if he'll be a 100% at the start of the season .. some never play the way they did after such a serious injury & nobody even knows if he can play NFL at the same level he did college... so not signing a LEO in FA was a bit of a shock but many think that the first round might also be an edge rusher.. like Joey Bosa.

IMO

I can see the first round need being CB the most, Edge rusher 2nd, and MILB 3rd...so I'm shocked that an injured Myles Jack whom said might not be ready to play on week 1 is in every mock draft as going to the Jaguars.

I would've thought it would still be either Jalen Ramsey or Vernon Hargreaves III (the problem with them two is one is expected to go before pick 5 [which Jalen is really best as a FS], and Vernon isn't expected to go until after pick 10 by most which I doubt will happen), so either they trade down & get vernon & an extra pick or they look at need number two Joey Bosa (yet he too might not be there at #5) the next best DL is Buckner whom is really a DT but they signed Malik Jackson to play DT with injury happy Marks and NT Miller (yet if Buckner is there it might be hard to figure out if you go with the 6'7 1/2" freak of a DT) or do you go with need number 3 whom is rated the highest in Myles Jack ..

which is honestly why every mock draft has him there... because most of them assume Bosa & Ramsey wont be there and he's the next best athlete that meets need provided you feel that the injury can be overlooked.

------------

To sum it all up for people that don't want to read all that above...

No, the defense isn't done after this draft but the Offense is really close (needs LT & Center).

Quote:<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Well, according to what you said above, I guess that someone higher up would have to answer for it, as Gus doesn't have hiring authority. But presuming he really does, it is probably consistent with what Shad said about making changes in the middle of the year in London. A general organizational policy. (Although I imagine if Gus REALLY thought it was necessary, he could have made a change). I know I wouldn't have wanted to try to do a defensive coordinator search in mid-season. 

Gus has hiring and firing authority. 
Gus didn't have to check with Dave or Tony before firing (or hiring) someone. That doesn't mean that someone from higher up had to tolerate another year of Fisch. There are lots of businesses where a person has control over their staff, but can still be told to fire someone by a superior.

And considering Gus could have just promoted Wash to DC as he did after the season, there would have been no need for a coordinator search. Not to mention that Gus could have taken over the DC job himself; there have been plenty of head coaches who also doubled as coordinators. So the hypothetical difficulty in finding a replacement shouldn't have been a consideration.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

The Head Coach's job in the NFL is almost always on the hot seat in a losing franchise.  In fact when have you ever read the following except in Jacksonville;

Dec. 29: Jaguars owner Shahid Khan confirmed that Gus Bradley will be the team's head coach in 2016 despite a 12-35 career record with the team.

---------------------------------

When fans heard that the DC from Seattle was coming to Jacksonville to be the Head Coach & brought many from Seattle along with him including the DL coach whom is now the DC Todd Wash.

----------------------

Usually the Head Coach of an NFL team gets to hand pick his coaching staff (though the GM or Owner could always override his authority), so by picking his friend it was a tell...

It said to the world hey I might get fired for losing again this year, but at least I can hook my friend up with job experience at DC before I go.  It was the right thing to do IMO, but it doesn't give us all a giant boost of confidence either.

On one hand, he knows exactly what Gus wants to do with the Defense and he helped him build it in Seattle, and nobody doubts Todd Wash's ability to coach up talent (especially on the DLine)!  In fact many fear that the DLine might get worse now that Todd Wash is promoted to other duties, so one would have to assume that Gus is going to help out with the DC part allowing Todd to still focus most time on the DLine (or at least we hope that's the case).

So this year the Defense success is more on Gus with no one to blame.. the blame game is over its time for Gus to either win or be fired...

I'm hoping its that he wins, because I am a fan of both the Jaguars & Him.  I think he's a nice guy, that the players love, and he loves Jacksonville, FL & wants to succeed...

so win, baby win!

Quote:Gus released Fisch because someone higher up insisted he do it. That's according to Alfie, and while I frequently find Alfie annoying and clueless, I haven't found him to make things up and he had no reason to lie about that.

Is Gus that dense that he couldn't see it then, and had to wait until after the season to figure out that Babich wasn't very good? Or did 
Gus choose friendship over a chance at winning?

When Alfie is your source for a conspiracy theory with no basis in reality, that's a losing effort. Keep playing tho bud, you'll have better luck next time.

How the [BLEEP] would we know?

Quote:When Alfie is your source for a conspiracy theory with no basis in reality, that's a losing effort. Keep playing tho bud, you'll have better luck next time.

What motive would Alfie have to lie about this?

Quote:Gus can keep the players happy no matter what. He is the ideal coach of a team that has no chance of winning. Now it's time for a coach who puts winning as the top priority.

There's no excuse for 5-11 vs. last season's schedule where over half the games were against QBs who were backups, former career backups who recently became starters for lack of a real franchise QB, or rookies. That includes all six games against our division opponents.

The real "no excuse for" is our pitiful defense under a said "guru" that is gus bradley

ohio state won the championship with a 3rd string qb who turned out to be hot garbage this year after their splendid offensive coordinator bolted for houston

that's what coaching, real coaching, can do for a team

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2016, 04:23 PM by paksat.)

Quote:Like I said any of that.

Again, the only way you can put forth an argument is to make things up, Pathetic and dim witted.

your insults are pathetic

we're known as the team you start beating the crap out of after halftime, if you haven't already

because god knows gus isn't making any kind of adjustments.. this is the same man that couldn't even move a corner from one side of the field to the other when the cowboys figured out that all they had to do to get dez bryant open was move him to the opposite side

brilliance