Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who will win Super Bowl 50?
Carolina Panthers
Denver Broncos
[Show Results]

***Official Super Bowl 50 Game Day Thread***

Quote:I'm from Colorado so that's one reason I'm rooting for them. The other US to see Manning go out on top. He may have been a pain in our [BAD WORD REMOVED] as a Colt but I somehow respect him anyway.

And as a Jags fan I can't see myself ever, ever rooting for the Panthers. It does not compute.

I like your posts....

Anyhooo...  I'm with you on this one...

Yeah, I hate the clots...  But P.Manning is a really great QB, and I can appreciate great QB play.  Can't Newton is not a great QB, and that team is being compared to the '85 Bears.

I am hoping for some come-up-ence!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2016, 04:59 PM by americus 2.0.)

Quote:I like your posts....

Anyhooo...  I'm with you on this one...

Yeah, I hate the clots...  But P.Manning is a really great QB, and I can appreciate great QB play.  Can't Newton is not a great QB, and that team is being compared to the '85 Bears.

I am hoping for some come-up-ence!
The '85 Bears? Who is smoking that dope? My husband, who is a Panthers fan, has said all season the Panthers have only done as well as they have because their schedule was soft because they moderately sucked last year. I haven't paid much attention to any of that and he didn't see every game due to work, but what I have seen/heard I'm not feeling the Bears comparison. 

They do seem to be a true team, some friends and I were talking about that after church, but no one I know here is giving a certain Panthers victory and they're all Panthers fans. We all know Manning is not even close to 100% and he's good until the big games happen then he chokes, but I'm feeling a little different about this one. I could be completely wrong but I hope I'm not.

And thanks for liking my posts.  :thumbsup:

Peyton naked bootleg walks in untouched for TD

Here is my Superbowl prediction:

Newton to Manning (win or lose) after the game "Great game Peyton, you are one of my heroes"

Headline the next day "Was Cam gracious enough to Manning? Was his smile genuine?"
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:That is the first time I have seen someone call Brady Thomas.

Call Brady Thomas what?

Quote:The '85 Bears? Who is smoking that dope? My husband, who is a Panthers fan, has said all season the Panthers have only done as well as they have because their schedule was soft because they moderately sucked last year. I haven't paid much attention to any of that and he didn't see every game due to work, but what I have seen/heard I'm not feeling the Bears comparison. 

They do seem to be a true team, some friends and I were talking about that after church, but no one I know here is giving a certain Panthers victory and they're all Panthers fans. We all know Manning is not even close to 100% and he's good until the big games happen then he chokes, but I'm feeling a little different about this one. I could be completely wrong but I hope I'm not.

Ron Rivera took the diplomatic approach when comparing the 1985 Bears with the 2015 Panthers:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/...95628.html

As someone who watched a large number of the 1985 Bears games,   one comparison that comes to mind is the dominant front sevens of both teams.   Another is the strong running games and Offensive Lines.   Cam Newton is probably more of a differential QB than Jim McMahon,  who was quite a playmaker in his own right.   But player for player,  the 1985 Bears would probably have the edge if 1985 conditions were projected to 2015.    The Bears front 7 on Defense ranks with the Steelers great teams of the 1970's as the best I've ever seen.  

Quote:The '85 Bears? Who is smoking that dope? My husband, who is a Panthers fan, has said all season the Panthers have only done as well as they have because their schedule was soft because they moderately sucked last year. I haven't paid much attention to any of that and he didn't see every game due to work, but what I have seen/heard I'm not feeling the Bears comparison. 

Your husband is correct!  The Panthers are a product of their schedule and thier division.  But I flipped it over to CBS a couple hours ago, and they were talking about how the Bears, 30 years ago were also a 1 loss team and that Rivera was a player on that Bears team. 

During the interview, Rivera mentioned that he thinks the comparison is valid.  LOL, it made me laugh.

McMahon was 100 times better than Cam.  Willie Gault is 1,000 times better than any WR on the Panthers.  And the Panther D is nothing compared to the Bears.

But the comparisons are being made.  Ridiculous

Quote:Your husband is correct!  The Panthers are a product of their schedule and thier division.  But I flipped it over to CBS a couple hours ago, and they were talking about how the Bears, 30 years ago were also a 1 loss team and that Rivera was a player on that Bears team. 

During the interview, Rivera mentioned that he thinks the comparison is valid.  LOL, it made me laugh.

McMahon was 100 times better than Cam.  Willie Gault is 1,000 times better than any WR on the Panthers.  And the Panther D is nothing compared to the Bears.

But the comparisons are being made.  Ridiculous

Though we disagree with the QBs,   I agree that Willie Gault was clearly better than any of the Panthers WRs currently on their 53 man roster.

I favor the Bears 1985 Defense over the 2015 Defense but by a lesser margin.

These type of discussions are one of the main reasons why I enjoy the NFL.   There are many ways of looking at the same information.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2016, 05:33 PM by The_Anchorman.)

Quote:  Ron Rivera took the diplomatic approach when comparing the 1985 Bears with the 2015 Panthers:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/...95628.html

As someone who watched a large number of the 1985 Bears games,   one comparison that comes to mind is the dominant front sevens of both teams.   Another is the strong running games and Offensive Lines.   Cam Newton is probably more of a differential QB than Jim McMahon,  who was quite a playmaker in his own right.   But player for player,  the 1985 Bears would probably have the edge if 1985 conditions were projected to 2015.    The Bears front 7 on Defense ranks with the Steelers great teams of the 1970's as the best I've ever seen.  

I gotta disagree here...

The running game of the Bears was Peyton...  Walter Peyton.  It was a pro-style run game, not this spread offense nonsense where the QB is the catalyst of the RB's success.

McMahon was a great scrambler, but he was a pocket QB that threw deep very well.  Willie Gault was a burner of a WR that had hands.  

The passing game and the running game of the Bears is lightyears ahead of the Panthers offense.  The Panthers are kindergardners compared to the 85 Bear offense.

As for Defense...  The Middle LB's between the 2 teams may be similar.  But the D-Line of the Bears had at least 2 if not 3 HOF players...  

And then the LB's of the Bears?  Dent?  I mean, come one.  

The front 7 of the Panthers is a JOKE compared to the 85 Bears.

This Panther team is all HYPE.

Gotta Edit:  I mentioned Dent as a LB.  But he was a DE.  I think my point still stands.  The front 7 of the Bears was ALL-Time great.  The front 7 of the Panthers is meh...  with the exception of Keuchley...

Quote:  Though we disagree with the QBs,   I agree that Willie Gault was clearly better than any of the Panthers WRs currently on their 53 man roster.

I favor the Bears 1985 Defense over the 2015 Defense but by a lesser margin.

These type of discussions are one of the main reasons why I enjoy the NFL.   There are many ways of looking at the same information.

Seriously!  This is why I also love the NFL!!!

I think I might have gone a bit apocalyptic with my prior post.  But to me, I think alot of times people forget how great some of those 80's and 90's teams really were.

I was born in 1976, so I was lucky to see the 80's and 90's with vivid memory.  And because I was a child of the 80's and 90's I also had the benefit of watching the Golden Age of NFL Films which really taught use Gen X'ers about the history of the game.

The Panther's and the Hype they get reminds me of the concept of Post-Modernism.  Where history is no longer important, substance gives way to flash.  But for some of us, history and substance is what links time and generations together. 

Poor Scott Norwood...

CBS's recreation of the Bills SB loss.

Post Modernism at it's definition

Go Panthers, when ever I see Manning the only thing I really see is a blue horse shoe, so Go Panthers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:CBS's recreation of the Bills SB loss.

Post Modernism at it's definition

Where have you been AMan?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Peyton naked bootleg walks in untouched for TD

This is just not a good look.

Ron Rivera was the guy who started this "1985 Bears/2015 Panthers" comparison. He did so because he was on that Super Bowl team as a linebacker. Nobody would be talking about that if anyone else was Carolina's HC.

Quote:Ron Rivera was the guy who started this "1985 Bears/2015 Panthers" comparison. He did so because he was on that Super Bowl team as a linebacker. Nobody would be talking about that if anyone else was Carolina's HC.

That is obviously not true.

If their HC was another player from the '85 Bears team, like Rivera was, they would also be talking about comparing the '85 Bears and the '15 Panthers.

Quote:That is obviously not true.

If their HC was another player from the '85 Bears team, like Rivera was, they would also be talking about comparing the '85 Bears and the '15 Panthers.

As of right now, are any other 1985 Bears players head coaches? That is what I am talking about.

Quote: 

The Panther's and the Hype they get reminds me of the concept of Post-Modernism.  Where history is no longer important, substance gives way to flash.  But for some of us, history and substance is what links time and generations together. 
This.

Quote:As of right now, are any other 1985 Bears players head coaches? That is what I am talking about.

But you said "Nobody would be talking about that if anyone else was Carolina's HC".

Maybe nobody who wasn't on the '85 Bears wouldn't be talking about it or maybe somebody else who was or wasn't on the '85 Bears would be talking about it.

We really don't know nor will we ever know.