Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Most Aggravating Thing

Quote:LBs are good, yes.

Secondary has one corner, no SS, a formerly good FS who has now had two bad years in a row. Not very close. Needs major draft/FA additions.

Dline has Malik, he is legit good. Abry is a good piece, but not a stalward by any means. Ngakoue had a good year for a rookie, but had a shockingly high sack to pressure ratio and wasn't good against the run. He needs to show more, which is possible but not guaranteed. Fowler hasn't shown anything. There's potential here but it's nowhere near a playoff caliber line without big improvement from Ngakoue and Fowler, or big draft/FA additions.

WRs are far from great. Robinson should be a fine WR1. Lee and Hurns are average WR2s. It's a passable WR corps but very far from great.

We have maybe the worst TEs in the league.

The RB are better than most people think, but still needs an injection of athleticism that isn't diminutive like Grant.

The oline has one piece you can trust going forward, and you can't even trust that he will stay healthy at this point. Albert, Parnell, and Cann all need to improve greatly from last year. Big FA/draft injections needed...but front office seems to think 4/5 of the line is set so that is a worry. 

QB is among the worst in the league. 

I find it real hard to believe that we have more than 1.5 playoff caliber positions (TE and 1/2 WR) out of 8 major position groups. 

I disagree with your analysis of the roster so much that it's entirely pointless to respond. 

But I will anyway. 

Writing off Gipson is extremely lazy analysis of his performance in 2016.  He was fine in a role that didn't suit his skill set ideally. 

It wasn't a bad year.   The draft and FA are full of options to plug and play at corner#2 and SS.  The nickel spot has two good players on the roster.

The D-Line needs a legit strong side pass rushing end. That's it. 

The TE's are lower tier - but far from the worst - and it's an easy position to mitigate. And again - a rich position in the draft upcoming.  More lazy analysis writing that position group off. 

The receiving corps is top ten in the league in talent. You can whine all you want about "passable" but that's total crap. With a legit QB A-Rob and Lee are superstars. 

I agree on O-line and QB. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:All those good teams got a franchise QB which makes up for a talent deficient OL. Jags don't have one. The front office is chicken, shake things up at QB, wanting Bortles to be the guy. He's not the guy. He regressed. His completion % stinks and he's turn over prone. He has to go to throwing motion school every offseason. Bring in talent at QB, draft Deshaun Watson at #4. If that fails, draft Darnold next season and so on till.

I have to agree with you again. Until we get a QB it won't matter if we have an All-Madden team.

Quote:To put a finer point on this, last year, Cleveland had two first rounders on the OL-Long and Erving. The year before (2015) they had three first rounders: Long, Mack and Erving.

The Jaguars with one first round OL finished with better records than them both years.

The 49ers had two first round picks along their OL: Staley and Garnett.

The Jaguars finished with a better record than them too.

It's not about the first rounders, it's about who is been selected..

Quote:I disagree with your analysis of the roster so much that it's entirely pointless to respond. 
Ok, how about we do just secondary. Mind explaining how a depth chart with complete holes at CB2 and SS, plus a FS who is coming off two bad years, is very close?

If it was just "Oh well Gipson needs to improve but the other 3 spots are set" then ok, maybe very close. But we literally have one piece right now. 

Maybe your crystal ball knows we are getting Bouye tomorrow and drafting Adams at 4. I would agree with your assessment in that case. 

adams at 4 is not worth it. Trade down if can be our best bet with all these missing pieces we should in first four rounds to be honest.   If we need all these pieces. Then bodies are more important then one special player.  The pats do it every year.  And they won the superbowl yet again. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:Ok, how about we do just secondary. Mind explaining how a depth chart with complete holes at CB2 and SS, plus a FS who is coming off two bad years, is very close?

If it was just "Oh well Gipson needs to improve but the other 3 spots are set" then ok, maybe very close. But we literally have one piece right now. 

Maybe your crystal ball knows we are getting Bouye tomorrow and drafting Adams at 4. I would agree with your assessment in that case. 
see the edit

The homer attitude around here is very dangerous, I get you, we all have this tendency to form an emotional coalition around "our" players. You have to separate that from the fact that this team is bad, and it's been as a whole. This is why tom was brought in, because from Khan to Caldwell, they don't know how to build a football team and operate it. They are fantastic at marketing and social media and building an image, but these organization has not built a winner.This team has good players, but not enough, and not enough at the core sports. I know we are excited over 1 Draft Class that has produced 1 Corner and a DPR, with some potential on some other players. 

I included the FO, Coaching Staff and Roster in my assessment of the team, not a few good Linebacks, a Center, a Corner and a WR that many seem to hate

Let's be honest with ourselves. You guys cannot have it both ways, we've maxed out at 5 wins, which is so beyond sad that this is okay for some of you or reason to believe that next year will bring success. 

I don't mean to be entirely pessimistic, but saying all we need is for the QB to tighten up mechanically and run the ball a few more times with the same vanilla running backs to succed is a solution that is very distant from reality. 

If the roster is as bad as some of you say it is, then we fired the wrong guy.

How can you blame Gus if he didn't have any players?

I find it hilarious that I outspokenly want to upgrade 7 starting positions of the 22 and continually get labeled a [BAD WORD REMOVED] homer around here. 

Because saying "seven of our starting players aren't good enough" is just not whiny enough for some of you doom and gloom sad-sacks. 

Wow. 

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2017, 04:38 PM by TheAll22.)

Quote:I find it hilarious that I outspokenly want to upgrade 7 starting positions of the 22 and continually get labeled a [BAD WORD REMOVED] homer around here. 

Because saying "seven of our starting players aren't good enough" is just not whiny enough for some of you doom and gloom sad-sacks. 

Wow. 

But it's exactly what you are doing. You sound like a middle schooler with your mild insults because you have a weak answer. You don't have to take it so personally or  make it seem like I have an emotional response, look at your word choice. I understand I'm at an advantage because I have the fact to back it up so I must just be a jerk

Quote:But it's exactly what you are doing. You sound like a middle schooler with your insults because you have no answer you have to make it seem like I have an emotional response, look at your word choice. I understand I'm at an advantage because I have the fact to back it up so I must just be a jerk

I don't think you're a jerk. I think your perspective of the quality of the roster of the Jags is markedly colored by your pessimism and your inability to compare many of the players to other players at their position around the league objectively.  

The fact that the same lot of posters with similar views to yours continue to imply that I'm a homer because I "only" think the team needs upgrades at seven starting positions should actually signify something to you about the degree of your pessimism. But you are not seeing it.

Because you are overly jaded about this football team. 

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2017, 04:46 PM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:Writing off Gipson is extremely lazy analysis of his performance in 2016.  He was fine in a role that didn't suit his skill set ideally. 

It wasn't a bad year.   The draft and FA are full of options to plug and play at corner#2 and SS.  The nickel spot has two good players on the roster.
I'll just stick to secondary. I don't see how you are acknowledging that there are black holes at CB2 and SS yet say we are very close. We have to spend big FA $ or use expensive draft capital, and hit on both, to even be considered very close. That's a gigantic stretch to me. 

Actually, for every position you defended you are simply expecting guys that need to improve greatly like Fowler/Ngakoue/TEs to even be considered winning caliber players to do so, or expecting that we will easily fill the positions with FA/draftees that will be instant impact players. Both are far too optimistic and very unlikely to be reality. 

Quote:I'll just stick to secondary. I don't see how you are acknowledging that there are black holes at CB2 and SS yet say we are very close. We have to spend big FA $ or use expensive draft capital, and hit on both, to even be considered very close. That's a gigantic stretch to me. 
Because it looks to be an easy fix with a deep draft class and 5 or 6 FAs that are potential upgrades in play.  It could still have a major need when May rolls around - but I don't see why they'd let two players test the market if there isn't a viable plan in place to at least TRY to upgrade those two spots. 

Barry Church signs with us for 6 million a year! Solid

Quote:I don't think you're a jerk. I think your perspective of the quality of the roster of the Jags is markedly colored by your pessimism and your inability to compare many of the players to other players at their position around the league objectively.  

You are not going find 22 Premier players with insane measurables, all under the age of 26 at any one given time, it's a mix and match. I get that but there are more holes on the team than just looking at it "glass half empty" 

Right now, the team need 3 Defensive Backs, a LT, LG, DE and DT just to fill out starting positions while you have question marks at core positions like QB and RB so it's very possible this team is still at the bottom of the AFC south for another two or three years and that assumption lies mostly on the QB. If Bortles can fix his physiological and mechanical flaws than it would compensate for other weaker spots like you see with teams that have QB's solidified. 

Quote:Barry Church signs with us for 6 million a year! Solid
 A minor upgrade.  

(like I was just saying)  

Six more to go. 

Quote:You are not going find 22 Premier players with insane measurables, all under the age of 26 at any one given time, it's a mix and match. I get that but there are more holes on the team than just looking at it "glass half empty" 

Right now, the team need 3 Defensive Backs, a LT, LG, DE and DT just to fill out starting positions while you have question marks at core positions like QB and RB so it's very possible this team is still at the bottom of the AFC south for another two or three years and that assumption lies mostly on the QB. If Bortles can fix his physiological and mechanical flaws than it would compensate for other weaker spots like you see with teams that have QB's solidified. 

I find this reasonable, although I'm not sure why we have need at DT?  Miller's return is a question mark and Jones is no pro-bowler - but we are loaded with 3-tech types and Wash likes to use two of those guys in the middle on 25% of the snaps anyway. 

Are you just assuming that we need a NT because you think Miller is done and Jones needs an upgrade? 

We really just need a corner #2 if the Church signing pans out as it should. Not 3 DBs, IMO. 

And yes, QB has held us back the most (of any one position) and should he pull his mechanics together it goes a long way to easing other rough spots. 

Quote: A minor upgrade.  

(like I was just saying)  

Six more to go. 
Yup. Can't complain about this move at all. Good way to start

Quote:It's not about the first rounders, it's about who is been selected..
There it is, folks!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:And I'm saying if we had Dallas' offensive line last year, we'd have won at least 9 games.
woahhhh 9 games? a whole 9 games? man thats good enough to maybe get into the playoffs! we would get bounced out immediately because our quarterback is trash but hey, its something.