Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Most Aggravating Thing

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2017, 11:39 AM by The Real Marty.)

Is that FOUR YEARS into our "rebuild," our offensive line consists of castoffs, rejects, and guys who should not even be starting anywhere.   FOUR YEARS IN and who is our Left Guard???   Tyler Shatley?   Josh Wells?   Who?   Who?   This is ridiculous.  

Anyone with half a brain knows that you MUST have an offensive line to run or to pass, to make a first down on 3rd and short, to stay out of 3rd and long, to make touchdowns in the red zone when pass patterns are compressed, to control the ball and keep the other team off the field, and keep your own defense off he field.   And anyone with half a brain knows that since offensive linemen have the longest careers, then offensive line is the FIRST thing you build when you are building a team. 

I tell you, what set me off was reading today's O-zone and while I generally like Oehser, one of his answers was to the effect of, " I don’t know that the Jaguars would agree that offensive line is the biggest need..."   To that I say, if you don't have an effective offensive line, then offensive line will always be your biggest need, and it should trump everything else.  

I hear and read people saying, oh, you can get offensive linemen in the 3rd round...  You take a look at the best teams in the league and you see MULTIPLE FIRST ROUND PICKS on their offensive lines. 

I am SICK SICK SICK, PUKING SICK of us not having a decent offensive line.  

SICK OF IT!  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

4 years into our rebuild and our team is still bad is the real statement here

It's not like they haven't tried to address it. Used high picks on joeckel Linder and cann. Spent a lot of money on Beadles and parnell. Put in that offer sheet on mack a few years back. The players just haven't worked out. Also a weird time for this thread. You should wait a few days and see if they make any moves in free agency before you have a meltdown.

Everyone knows I like Caldwell's 2nd-5th round draft record enough that I appreciate him getting another chance under Coughlin  -- but the O-Line is really my biggest strike against him.  It really, really should have been better by now. 

His drafting got better after a horrible start in 2013, but the inability to even patch together a mid-tier (run blocking)  line has been a major stumbling block for this franchise. 

At least they did a halfway decent job in protection last season, but oooff, it's gotta' get better. 

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2017, 11:46 AM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:It's not like they haven't tried to address it. Used high picks on joeckel Linder and cann. Spent a lot of money on Beadles and parnell. Put in that offer sheet on mack a few years back. The players just haven't worked out.

Failure.   Failure failure.   They need to get serious, because right now, the most important position outside of QB, offensive line, is the worst position on this team.   It's why we're 3-13.  

We've got one guy.   How many guys has Dallas got?  

Quote:Failure. Failure failure. They need to get serious, because right now, the most important position outside of QB, offensive line, is the worst position on this team. It's why we're 3-13.

We've got one guy. How many guys has Dallas got?

I'd disagree that we only have one guy. Albert is a top ten LT when healthy. And even though the knock on him is he hasn't played a full year, he has still played a good portion of almost every year. Linder we all can agree is fantastic. And I'm not ready to give up on Cann yet. He's shown a lot of potential 8n his first two years and has had some streaks of really hi g h level play. He just needs to continue to get better and be more consistent. We definitely need an upgrade at LG and RT though. I think we get zeitler or Warford in free agency, but unfortunately I think we are stuck with parnell for another year. All that being said, I believe the line will be much improved heading into next year.

Quote:Failure.   Failure failure.   They need to get serious, because right now, the most important position outside of QB, offensive line, is the worst position on this team.   It's why we're 3-13.  

We've got one guy.   How many guys has Dallas got?  
Oakland is a perfect example. They picked up some top tier upgrades in FA. Players we should have been in on. Look at them now compared to us. Big difference. I agree, they need to make some major upgrades to this line above all else. 

Winning the LOS in general has been aggravating, on both sides of the ball. Last time we consistently did it was 2007. We need to focus on building the trenches until it is finally corrected.
No commercial messages in sigs

The rebuild, just like when we were an expansion team, should have started first with the o-line. QB is important, running back is important, receivers are important, and defence is important. But none of it really matters if you do not have protection. I agree, I think Dave missed on the rebuild big time because he neglected the o-line during the rebuild.

TC's got this

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:The rebuild, just like when we were an expansion team, should have started first with the o-line. QB is important, running back is important, receivers are important, and defence is important. But none of it really matters if you do not have protection. I agree, I think Dave missed on the rebuild big time because he neglected the o-line during the rebuild.

They did address it. It's just the guys they drafted or signed (Joeckel, Beadles, Parnell) are mostly terrible. 

They spend a first round pick on Joeckel, two third on Cann/Linder and signed Beadles/Parnell to high dollar deals. 

Three of the five (and possibly four depending on Cann) have been major whiffs.

;

;

I've been saying this for years!!! Good post Marty, I understand your frustration. Their is no excuse for this line being the way it is! Caldwell failed at drafting quality olineman, our teams failure is a direct result of Caldwell bad decisions!

Quote:Is that FOUR YEARS into our "rebuild," our offensive line consists of castoffs, rejects, and guys who should not even be starting anywhere.   FOUR YEARS IN and who is our Left Guard???   Tyler Shatley?   Josh Wells?   Who?   Who?   This is ridiculous.  

Anyone with half a brain knows that you MUST have an offensive line to run or to pass, to make a first down on 3rd and short, to stay out of 3rd and long, to make touchdowns in the red zone when pass patterns are compressed, to control the ball and keep the other team off the field, and keep your own defense off he field.   And anyone with half a brain knows that since offensive linemen have the longest careers, then offensive line is the FIRST thing you build when you are building a team. 

I tell you, what set me off was reading today's O-zone and while I generally like Oehser, one of his answers was to the effect of, " I don’t know that the Jaguars would agree that offensive line is the biggest need..."   To that I say, if you don't have an effective offensive line, then offensive line will always be your biggest need, and it should trump everything else.  

I hear and read people saying, oh, you can get offensive linemen in the 3rd round...  You take a look at the best teams in the league and you see MULTIPLE FIRST ROUND PICKS on their offensive lines. 

SICK OF IT!  
New England, the current champion, currently has one first round pick starting on their OL-Nate Solder.

Atlanta, the Super Bowl runner up, currently has two:  Matthews-their own 2st rounder, and Mack, a free agent that we went after just the year before.  Why we didn't go after him again is a mystery.

The Steelers, who were in the AFC title game, has two (Pouncey and DeCastro).  The Packers, who lost the NFC championship, has one (Bulaga).

Kansas City, which lost a divisional playoff game, had 1 last year (Fisher).  The other AFC divisional game featured Houston, who had 1 (Brown).

In the NFC, the divisional losers included Dallas, who had 3 (Smith, Frederick, and Martin) and Seattle, who had one (Ifedi).

The AFC wild card losers included Miami, who had 4 (Albert-a FA but former 1st rounder, Tunsil, Pouncey, and JuWan James) and Oakland, which had ZERO first round picks along the OL.  The NFC Wild Card losers included Detroit, which featured 3 (Decker, Tomlinson and Reiff) and the Giants had two (Erek Flowers and Justin Pugh).

Based upon last season's results, the teams that invested the most first round picks in the OL got no further than the divisional round.

Like New England and Green Bay, Jacksonville had one first round pick to start the season on the OL (Joeckel) and looks to have one this year (Albert) barring any free agency moves or unexpected draft picks.

I do not say all of this to suggest that the OL cannot stand to be improved.  Any fan of this team can tell you OL needs upgrading.

But causation is not established between the lack of first round picks along the OL and the lack of team success.

There were things other than OL that causes our failures.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Caldwell failed at drafting quality lineman...

Actually he failed at drafting one of them - then didn't draft enough of them. 

I was looking for an Evan Boehm drafting when Caldwell took Sheldon Day in the fourth round.  While I like Day - Boehm may have been more beneficial to this team last season and moving forward when you compare the need for each guy on this roster. 

He's only ever drafted Joeckel, Linder and Cann.  

The strikes against Dave regarding the O-Line are: Joeckel and Beadles primarily - followed by simply not drafting at least one more guy. 

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2017, 01:40 PM by Jagsfan32277.)

Quote:New England, the current champion, currently has one first round pick starting on their OL-Nate Solder.

Atlanta, the Super Bowl runner up, currently has two:  Matthews-their own 2st rounder, and Mack, a free agent that we went after just the year before.  Why we didn't go after him again is a mystery.

The Steelers, who were in the AFC title game, has two (Pouncey and DeCastro).  The Packers, who lost the NFC championship, has one (Bulaga).

Like New England and Green Bay, Jacksonville had one first round pick to start the season on the OL (Joeckel) and looks to have one this year (Albert) barring any free agency moves or unexpected draft picks.

I do not say all of this to suggest that the OL cannot stand to be improved.  Any fan of this team can tell you OL needs upgrading.

But causation is not established between the lack of first round picks along the OL and the lack of team success.

There were things other than OL that causes our failures.
All those good teams got a franchise QB which makes up for a talent deficient OL. Jags don't have one. The front office is chicken, shake things up at QB, wanting Bortles to be the guy. He's not the guy. He regressed. His completion % stinks and he's turn over prone. He has to go to throwing motion school every offseason. Bring in talent at QB, draft Deshaun Watson at #4. If that fails, draft Darnold next season and so on till.

Quote:Is that FOUR YEARS into our "rebuild," our offensive line consists of castoffs, rejects, and guys who should not even be starting anywhere.   FOUR YEARS IN and who is our Left Guard???   Tyler Shatley?   Josh Wells?   Who?   Who?   This is ridiculous.  

SICK OF IT!  

lol ... do you now feel better?

I think Oehser is speaking for the front office/coaching staff, so watch out - you might get one of those stern looks from Coughlin.

What Oehser keeps saying is that you don't need to replace the entire line. I'd be shocked if the Jags don't spend real money or serious draft capital on the line, especially left guard. Other than that, we'll see. 

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Stepping on a nail ranks right up there as "The Most Aggravating Thing".

Have you seen my baseball?

Quote:lol ... do you now feel better?

I think Oehser is speaking for the front office/coaching staff, so watch out - you might get one of those stern looks from Coughlin.

What Oehser keeps saying is that you don't need to replace the entire line. I'd be shocked if the Jags don't spend real money or serious draft capital on the line, especially left guard. Other than that, we'll see. 

We will almost certainly be seeing new faces at LT and one of the guard spots.  (depending which side Cann ends up playing if he wins the job) 

That  -  along with a new playbook, play caller and coach could be enough. 

Quote:Actually he failed at drafting one of them - then didn't draft enough of them. 

I was looking for an Evan Boehm drafting when Caldwell took Sheldon Day in the fourth round.  While I like Day - Boehm may have been more beneficial to this team last season and moving forward when you compare the need for each guy on this roster. 

He's only ever drafted Joeckel, Linder and Cann.  

The strikes against Dave regarding the O-Line are: Joeckel and Beadles primarily - followed by simply not drafting at least one more guy. 
He drafted three OL who, based solely upon draft position, had a reasonable chance of starting:  Joeckel, Linder and Cann.

Joeckel is a bonafide miss.  Linder is a bonafide hit..  Cann had one good year and one bad year.  Jury is still out on him.

No, Caldwell did not manage to build a solid OL.  I think the miss on Joeckel aside, his biggest fault to me was not continuing the pursuit of Alex Mack.  Had we signed Mack like we tried a year earlier, we'd have him at C, Cann at LG (where he played in college and had the most success in the NFL), and Linder at RG.  That would have been a far more effective interior three than what we fielded last year.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I think the frustration should be more at the overall rebuild, to which you are actually kind of late to the the party. You should have been frustrated in weeks 2-4 over the fact that this team aint "built " 

Draft Busts, Free Agent Busts and inability to manage the draft, it really is the whole ship that's disappointing