Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Under any circumstances could this team have a new head coach next season?

Quote:Given the fact that we didn't land Cobb & McCourty in free agency AND Fowler is out for the year, Gus should definitely get a pass this year

Realistic Minimum Goals:

2015 -> 4 Wins

2016 -> 6 Wins

2017 -> 8 Wins

2018 -> Playoffs or bust

Not sure if serious
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Given the fact that we didn't land Cobb & McCourty in free agency AND Fowler is out for the year, Gus should definitely get a pass this year

Realistic Minimum Goals:

2015 -> 4 Wins

2016 -> 6 Wins

2017 -> 8 Wins

2018 -> Playoffs or bust
Sorry but no. I need 8+ wins in 2016.

My goodness that's some patience HURRICANE!!! has.  3 years on the job and you're only requiring 4 wins, 4 years to get to the lofty goal of 6 wins, and finally a 5-year span and you're hoping your new coach only wins half the darn games!

I'm pretty sure Kahn didn't hire an NFL coach expecting him to win %28 of his games over 5 years with a 23W-57L record.

Quote:My goodness that's some patience HURRICANE!!! has.  3 years on the job and you're only requiring 4 wins, 4 years to get to the lofty goal of 6 wins, and finally a 5-year span and you're hoping your new coach only wins half the darn games!

I'm pretty sure Kahn didn't hire an NFL coach expecting him to win %28 of his games over 5 years with a 23W-57L record.

You're missing the point.  I wouldn't be so worried about wins and losses, just show a steady improvement.  For instance:

2015 -> 4 wins

2016 -> 4.1 wins

2017 -> 4.2 wins

2018 -> 4.3 wins

Quote:Not sure if serious
If serious, and more importantly, if accurate on the numbers this year, Gus will be looking for a new job.  I don't see it happening.  The improvements to the roster should net this team more than 4 wins this year. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:If serious, and more importantly, if accurate on the numbers this year, Gus will be looking for a new job.  I don't see it happening.  The improvements to the roster should net this team more than 4 wins this year. 

Even with no new players the team should be better than last year just due to experience. There were a lot of rookies in the lineup. It would be inexcusable for Bradley not to have this team competitive in most of the games this season and pushing for a playoff spot next year. (should he still be here)

Quote:Even with no new players the team should be better than last year just due to experience. There were a lot of rookies in the lineup. It would be inexcusable for Bradley not to have this team competitive in most of the games this season and pushing for a playoff spot next year. (should he still be here)
Agreed.  I don't anticipate this team being anything even remotely close to what they were last season or the season before. 

Caldwell has been saying all along that when the team starts to turn things around on the field, it will happen quickly.  I believe that happens this season.  With the experience gained by the young talent, and the new additions to the roster, the team would have to TRY to be as bad as they have been. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Realistic Minimum Goals:

2015 -> 4 Wins

2016 -> 6 Wins

2017 -> 8 Wins

2018 -> Playoffs or bust
whoosh?

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:whoosh?

It's been a while since I've seen someone get whooshed.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

People seem to dismiss the Marrone conspiracy theory by saying that "Gus wouldn't hire his replacement".... That may be true, at least not knowingly. But with how badly he botched the first offensive staff hirings, I'm sure Caldwell took a more "hands on" approach when hiring this new group. Caldwell's fate is tied to Bortles beyond just this year, while Gus may very well not make it another year. No way Caldwell doesn't have input on who will be handling his prized QB.

Quote:People seem to dismiss the Marrone conspiracy theory by saying that "Gus wouldn't hire his replacement".... That may be true, at least not knowingly. But with how badly he botched the first offensive staff hirings, I'm sure Caldwell took a more "hands on" approach when hiring this new group. Caldwell's fate is tied to Bortles beyond just this year, while Gus may very well not make it another year. No way Caldwell doesn't have input on who will be handling his prized QB.
I doubt Caldwell had any more influence with this group of coaching hires than he did with the initial ones.  

As far as the original hires, when a coach is hired on, he's usually going to have to scramble to assemble a staff.  In most cases, the list of options available to him are limited based on timing.  That was certainly true for Gus.  He hired a guy he had some history with in Fisch, who was on the Seattle staff with him previously. 

With the hires this time around, it was less about history and more about sharing  a common vision.  Gus spent 2 solid days interviewing Olson for the OC job, and he spent a similar amount of time with Marrone before pulling the trigger on that hire. He made the hire.  Caldwell didn't use any sort of psychological gamesmanship to make that hire happen. 

Maybe Bradley just wanted a really good O-Line coach since the previous coach had to leave due to illness and a career assistant coach was forced to lead the group.

Couldn't be that though.

Quote:Maybe Bradley just wanted a really good O-Line coach since the previous coach had to leave due to illness and a career assistant coach was forced to lead the group.

Couldn't be that though.
Nope.  There had to be something nefarious at play here.  The master manipulator, Dave Caldwell somehow found a way to brainwash Gus into hiring his eventual replacement.

The lengths some folks will go to in order to twist a narrative to fit their agendas is pretty entertaining.

Before we know it, Shad Khan will be the guy who hired Marrone, and every other coach on staff right down to the water boy. 

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2015, 01:41 PM by clfcrn777.)

Marrone being the contingency head coach would ensure continuity for Bortles, that's what I'm getting at. Say Bradley were fired after this year, if they bring in an outside guy, that guy would probably want to make his own changes to the offensive staff. Remember, Marrone was hired before the offensive coordinator/assistants, and seeing as he's essentially the "head coach" of the offense (asst head coach label), it seems safe to assume that he was on board with the Olson hire, and certainly the Hackett hire.

How often would an O-line coach be hired before the offensive coordinator? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2015, 01:43 PM by clfcrn777.)

I'm not stating it as fact, I just think it's nonsensical to completely rule it out. It's certainly somewhat feasible. And frankly, I think it's good planning if that's the case. A good move by Caldwell if that was the intent.

Quote:Marrone being the contingency head coach would ensure continuity for Bortles, that's what I'm getting at. Say Bradley were fired after this year, if they bring in an outside guy, that guy would probably want to make his own changes to the offensive staff. Remember, Marrone was hired before the offensive coordinator/assistants, and seeing as he's essentially the "head coach" of the offense (asst head coach label), it seems safe to assume that he was on board with the Olson hire, and certainly the Hackett hire.

How often would an O-line coach be hired before the offensive coordinator? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

An assistant head coach title is usually nothing more than a title.  Calling him the "head coach of the offense" is major stretch of reality. `They are running Olson's offense with input from Marrone on blocking schemes. 

The order in which they are hired is often due to the order in which they schedule interviews/ have availability and weigh offers from other teams. 

The Jags also may have simply wanted to consider other candidates at OC than they did when hiring Marrone as a line coach. The Marrone hire was a "no brainer" once he was open to being a line coach.  The OC job required/deserved more consternation.

Quote:An assistant head coach title is usually nothing more than a title.  Calling him the "head coach of the offense" is major stretch of reality. `They are running Olson's offense with input from Marrone on blocking schemes. 

The order in which they are hired is often due to the order in which they schedule interviews/ have availability and weigh offers from other teams. 

The Jags also may have simply wanted to consider other candidates at OC than they did when hiring Marrone as a line coach. The Marrone hire was a "no brainer" once he was open to being a line coach.  The OC job required/deserved more consternation.

Offensive coordinators get to pick their assistants in almost all situations... in this case it looks like Marrone was hired first, followed by Olson. I'll ask you this: who do you think had the idea of hiring Hackett as qb coach?

Normally I'd agree, the asst head coach label is almost always a meaningless title. I'm not so sure this time.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2015, 02:56 PM by clfcrn777.)

Olson has a connection with Bradley, and was no doubt a Bradley hire. But I think it's safe to say that Hackett was hand picked by Marrone. Marrone probably has more input on offensive scheme than meets the eye. Olson's calling the plays, but this is much more of a collaborative effort than many think.

Quote:Offensive coordinators get to pick their assistants in almost all situations... in this case it looks like Marrone was hired first, followed by Olson. I'll ask you this: who do you think had the idea of hiring Hackett as qb coach?

Normally I'd agree, the asst head coach label is almost always a meaningless title. I'm not so sure this time.

Like I said - Marrone was a "no-brainer."  His experience as a former HC, OC and long time O-Line coach made it that way.  If a subsequently hired coordinator disagreed with Caldwell/Bradley on that hire - then they are probably talking to the wrong coordinator. 

So - I don't think the order of hire matters in this particular case.  

Certainly Marrone put Hackett's name in the hat for QB coach and the team ultimately hired him.  Of course Olson was in place by that point and also would have signed off on the deal. 

I think there is tons of respect for Marrone from this coaching staff, but I just don't see him as playing some role greater than the coordinator at this point.  (I agree with "collaborative effort.")

Quote:But I think it's safe to say that Hackett was hand picked by Marrone.
You, sir, win the internets.