Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Under any circumstances could this team have a new head coach next season?

Before the trolling I personally like Gus Bradley.  His Tony Robbins attitude mixed with his enthusiasm is refreshing.  That being said I personally don't believe he is the head coach that will take us to the playoffs. I believe Bradley is a good coordinator but not a good head coach.  Lane kiffen comes to mind. 

So let me ask you this.  Last year this team was unprepared, out coached, and atrocious at times.  There were games last year that were over in the 1st quarter.  Everbank field was a ghost town at the start of the second half in atleast 4 of the home games this year.  This is year 3 with some good young talent on this team.  Money has been spent in free agency and 3 solid draft classes are in the book.

Lets say this team struggles as it did last year and gets blown out in a handful of games this season.  Do you believe Khan will pull the trigger?  I for one would hope so.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think he gets another year regardless of record. Shad will most likely get rid of the whole regime after 4 straight losing seasons

First, will Kahn step in or will he let Dave make the decision?

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Usually (not always) but usually, a coach who is a rah, rah, kind of coach is hiding flaws when it comes to actual knowledge of the game. Pete Carroll could be the exception. But, then again the rost on the Seahwks is loaded and just maybe that's the MAIN reason they win. Sure Bradley is a likable guy, what's not to like? The Big Tuna wasn't warm and fuzzy with anyone least of all his players but he's got two rings and he KNOWS football. So while Gus is widely liked, can he take the Jags to an elite level? That's a good question and hard to answer for us sitting up in the cheap seats cause we don't know what goes on day in and day out with his conduct at practice. I suspect the guys are buying into his enthusiasm, but are they buying into his knowledge of x's and o's?

If they improve very little in the W/L column and especially if Bortles shows little improvement, I think an argument could be made for an exit visa issued to Gus. Time will tell.

Could.

Probably won't.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We just got a new OC so Im sure Bradley will have until the end of the 2016 season to make it to the playoffs. I think this year we will show growth, just not enough, we will be 7-9 or 8-8. 2016 he will have to make the playoffs or he is fired. This year we must be .500 or better and then in 2016 we will have Fowler coming back another draft and with that we can find missing pieces like  FS and upgrade some to other positions like LB, OL...etc

Could and should, if he wins less than 6 games IMO.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I also think Gus gets at least through next year unless something crazy bad happens like he can't get that win total over 1 or 2 for the whole season.

I know, I know, but they also lost their #3 overall pick and I think that buys Gus a little more time, at least until we get to see Fowler on the field for a season.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:I also think Gus gets at least through next year unless something crazy bad happens like he can't get that win total over 1 or 2 for the whole season.

I know, I know, but they also lost their #3 overall pick and I think that buys Gus a little more time, at least until we get to see Fowler on the field for a season.

I'm sorry but I think that's nonsense. Regardless or Fowler, this is year 3 of the rebuild. No excuses anymore.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2015, 11:42 PM by fredalwaysajag.)

Its hard to imagine Gus not retaining his position as Head Coach. The circumstance would have to be having lost too many games prior to the bye, and having an experienced, somewhat successful former head coach (who is already on staff) step in.

Actually, that wasn't really too hard to imagine- unfortunately.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

I think he gets another year. The loss of Fowler was a key rebuilding pick and they want to do things right. Khan will give Bradley every chance to prove himself.

Quote:I'm sorry but I think that's nonsense. Regardless or Fowler, this is year 3 of the rebuild. No excuses anymore.

I agree it's nonsense and there should be no more excuses in year 3, but i just think that's the way it will be, unless they go 0-8 again or only have 1 or 2 wins after 12 or 13 games. That might prompt Shad to make a move.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

I don't think it'd be going out on a limb to assume Gus lasts less than 4 years here, especially after a poor 2 year run so far. I could certainly see the team with a new coach if they don't win at least 6 games (barring injury to Bortles) in 2015.

I believe in Gus Bradley's ability to be a quality head coach in the NFL; if he had an eternity like Marvin Lewis has had, I think he would do more than Marvin has. Problem is, Gus (or anyone, really) won't get that kind of chance here in Jacksonville.

Doug Marrone was not hired as a contingency plan to replace Bradley at the bye. He was hired to coach the offensive line. If he was hired to be the head coach, Bradley would have been fired, and Marrone would be the head coach.

The only circumstance I could see Bradley losing his job in is if the team struggles to a few wins early in the year then implodes down the stretch. It's a highly unlikely scenario, but I suppose it's possible.

Quote:Doug Marrone was not hired as a contingency plan to replace Bradley at the bye. He was hired to coach the offensive line. If he was hired to be the head coach, Bradley would have been fired, and Marrone would be the head coach.

The only circumstance I could see Bradley losing his job in is if the team struggles to a few wins early in the year then implodes down the stretch. It's a highly unlikely scenario, but I suppose it's possible.

So, you're saying Bradley didn't hire Marrone to be Caldwell's contingency plan?  Weird, I figured 3rd year coaches always hired their own potential successor.

But seriously, I find it hard to fault Gus for much of what's happened the past 2 seasons.  When the GM has come out and stated that the team exceeded his expected 2 year win total, and said he did Gus no favors but going so young, it's hard to fault him too much.  I'd like to see what he can do with a team that isn't so talent deficient and inexperienced.  I think he'll be back baring the scenario above.

I know people like to harp on his time out usage and game strategy, but how much of that was just trying to compensate for such a talent deficient/inexperienced team?  How many of those burned time outs last year were the fault of our inexperienced offense?  Honestly genuine questions, I just remember so many offensive TO's that seemed to be on youth.

Quote:So, you're saying Bradley didn't hire Marrone to be Caldwell's contingency plan?  Weird, I figured 3rd year coaches always hired their own potential successor.
There is (or at least used to be) a popular theory on this board that Caldwell had hired Doug Marrone with the intent of having Marrone be a contingency plan so he could fire Bradley if the team got off to a slow start. It still rears its head every once in a while, as it had a few posts before mine.

Quote:There is (or at least used to be) a popular theory on this board that Caldwell had hired Doug Marrone with the intent of having Marrone be a contingency plan so he could fire Bradley if the team got off to a slow start. It still rears its head every once in a while, as it had a few posts before mine.

The only problem with that theory is the fact that Bradley has the final word on his coaching staff. Caldwell deals with the players and Bradley handles the coaches.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2015, 02:47 AM by TJBender.)

Quote:The only problem with that theory is the fact that Bradley has the final word on his coaching staff. Caldwell deals with the players and Bradley handles the coaches.
The people who kept advancing it steadfastly refused to let facts get in the way of their conspiracy theories. I mean, come on, someone just a few posts ahead of me alluded to Bradley being replaced by Marrone midseason. Tongue

I thought Gus was fired last year after calling all those timeouts.

Lots of variables here. So many things could condemn or crown him.  Bradley is safe with 6+ wins IMO, but certainly there are scenarios out there that could see a coaching change. He could hang himself. 

Personally - I think they win 6 or 7 and show enough glimpses of promise on offense  - coupled with semi-consistent moments of stifling defense  - that it's an easy call to keep him around.