Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gardner Flint Minshew II - (merged threads)

(10-22-2019, 05:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 05:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: No. That’s not my thought process at all.

I don’t want to pass on QB prospects in order to draft a position of need. If the QB is rated highest on the board, I want the Jags to take them.

Do you really trust this front office though to take the right QB with that high of a pick? I don't. 

Leftwich. Bust. 
Gabbert. Bust.
Bortles. Bust. 

I almost feel like this team has been better off digging through the weeds for a QB. They traded for Brunell. They landed Garrard in RD4 or RD5 I think? And now this kid in RD6. It's a crap shoot like you said earlier in this thread. It's just too damn early to predict the course they'll take in 2020. But I agree. If they fall 5 - 11 / 6 - 10 and neither Minshew nor Foles show any much more than just being a "guy" or worse than that?

It'll be a scary draft for us next year. Probably similar to the Giants back in April. Which is hit or miss at the moment for me. Just sucks really. All in all. Just hope this kid can keep it going so they can invest around him instead of trying to replace him. Would be awesome.

Just wanted to help you out, this front office wasn't here when Leftwich was drafted in 2003.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2019, 05:53 PM by Caldrac.)

(10-22-2019, 04:53 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Are they forgetting the reason why Foles has changed teams 4 times in his career?

So the rookie isn't allowed a couple of average games and needs to be replaced by the vet who has never proven to be the guy for any team.

I agree with this. A 6th RD pick should be given some more freedom here. Especially if he's doing enough to win football games for you in just under 7 starts. But the politics may come into play. We saw it here before with Leftwich Vs. Garrard in New England in a play-off game. 

This team had no damn business starting a QB in a boot in the snow against Belichick and Brady. . . 

The only way Foles sees the field this year is if Minshew flat out costs this team games blatantly. He would have to perform like Darnold did last night (in some cases, maybe only half as bad as that) in order for this team to convince me and most of us around here that replacing him with Foles was the right thing to do. 

If he beats the Jets and tinhorns in London, which I think he very well do in a convincing fashion, I really think it's his job to lose from that bye week on.

(10-22-2019, 05:49 PM)Brett Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 05:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Do you really trust this front office though to take the right QB with that high of a pick? I don't. 

Leftwich. Bust. 
Gabbert. Bust.
Bortles. Bust. 

I almost feel like this team has been better off digging through the weeds for a QB. They traded for Brunell. They landed Garrard in RD4 or RD5 I think? And now this kid in RD6. It's a crap shoot like you said earlier in this thread. It's just too damn early to predict the course they'll take in 2020. But I agree. If they fall 5 - 11 / 6 - 10 and neither Minshew nor Foles show any much more than just being a "guy" or worse than that?

It'll be a scary draft for us next year. Probably similar to the Giants back in April. Which is hit or miss at the moment for me. Just sucks really. All in all. Just hope this kid can keep it going so they can invest around him instead of trying to replace him. Would be awesome.

Just wanted to help you out, this front office wasn't here when Leftwich was drafted in 2003.

I know. It's just a historical thing with this franchise regardless of who has the cards in their hands. I just don't trust it. For a long, long time I used to pray this team would trade out of the first round because they never seemed to do anything right.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2019, 09:47 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Ian Hartitz
@Ihartitz
Most QB rushing yards (PFF) ...

On designed runs:
1. Lamar Jackson (313)
2. Kyler Murray (111)
3. Dak Prescott (79)
4. Taysom Hill (70)
5. Josh Allen (49)

Scrambles:
1. Jackson (263)
2. Gardner Minshew (174)
3. Russ Wilson (164)
4. Murray (160)
5. Deshaun Watson (148)

Highest catchable% on deep balls
(min 20 att)

Aaron Rodgers - 68.6%
Gardner Minshew - 64.3%
Daniel Jones - 62.5%
Dak Prescott - 62.2%
Deshaun Watson - 62.2%

(10-22-2019, 09:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ian Hartitz
@Ihartitz

On designed runs:
1. Lamar Jackson (313)
2. Kyler Murray (111)
3. Dak Prescott (79)
4. Taysom Hill (70)
5. Josh Allen (49)

Scrambles:
1. Jackson (263)
2. Gardner Minshew (174)
3. Russ Wilson (164)
4. Murray (160)
5. Deshaun Watson (148)

(min 20 att)

Aaron Rodgers - 68.6%
Gardner Minshew - 64.3%
Daniel Jones - 62.5%
Dak Prescott - 62.2%
Deshaun Watson - 62.2%

Minshew is making it hard to take him off the field.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(10-22-2019, 10:46 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 09:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ian Hartitz
@Ihartitz

On designed runs:
1. Lamar Jackson (313)
2. Kyler Murray (111)
3. Dak Prescott (79)
4. Taysom Hill (70)
5. Josh Allen (49)

Scrambles:
1. Jackson (263)
2. Gardner Minshew (174)
3. Russ Wilson (164)
4. Murray (160)
5. Deshaun Watson (148)

(min 20 att)

Aaron Rodgers - 68.6%
Gardner Minshew - 64.3%
Daniel Jones - 62.5%
Dak Prescott - 62.2%
Deshaun Watson - 62.2%

Minshew is making it hard to take him off the field.

That's a great problem to have. I am even more impressed with his ability/decision-making to avoid turnovers for the most part.

Sure, he got lucky with a couple of drops on near-interceptions against the Bengals, but it's still impressive what he's doing as a 6th round draft pick (does it remind anyone of Brady? I kid I kid, but maybe.....)

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 06:58 AM by The Real Marty.)

(10-22-2019, 10:49 PM)enigma Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 10:46 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Minshew is making it hard to take him off the field.

That's a great problem to have. I am even more impressed with his ability/decision-making to avoid turnovers for the most part.

Sure, he got lucky with a couple of drops on near-interceptions against the Bengals, but it's still impressive what he's doing as a 6th round draft pick (does it remind anyone of Brady? I kid I kid, but maybe.....)

On some of those near-interceptions, I wonder, though, if he wasn't crossed up by his WR.  One of them I recall was a throw to Keelan Cole, where Cole checked up and Minshew threw to where he would have been if he had kept going.  I wondered at the time if 1) that was the reason Cole wasn't playing more or 2) If it happened because Cole hasn't had enough playing time, or 3) Minshew just threw inaccurately.  There's no way to know, really.    

I do remember a play against the Bengals where he threw into the end zone, but he threw a safe pass that couldn't be intercepted, but it was too safe and beyond the reach of Conley, who was open.  

I guess it all evens out in the end, and he has 10 TDs and 2 INTs, and that's the only indicator you can really go on.

He does have a bit of aggressiveness that I like.  I remember one third down play where he rolled to his right, and he could have run for the first down, or he could have thrown to Fournette about a 5 yard pass for a first down, but he saw the WR about 20 yards down the right sideline and chose that throw instead.  Pretty risky on 3rd down, but it worked.  It's at the 2:02 mark of this video:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUvLPHxaajE

(10-22-2019, 10:49 PM)enigma Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 10:46 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Minshew is making it hard to take him off the field.

It's easy to laugh off that comparison but they do have that 6th round draft pick position in common. Minshew may or may not become an elite QB but compare how he's doing with Brady's first year as a starter (2001). It's interesting if not necessarily a completely valid comparison (the league was different in 2001). Still it at least demonstrates why there's a lot to be hopeful about.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

This man is going to win Rookie of The Week again.

13 TDs to 2 interceptions.

I cannot recall the last time Jacksonville had a QB so efficient with the ball in terms of passing. Must've been Garrard in 2007, right?

I've been avoiding the Foles/Minshew issue but Minshew really stepped up today. What QB looked like a top 5 pick?

I've said before, no challenge seems too big, he wants to make plays. The commentators criticized him for not taking check downs but I like that hes looking downfield, hes looking for a shot.

He made so many plays happen today.

(10-27-2019, 04:30 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I've been avoiding the Foles/Minshew issue but Minshew really stepped up today. What QB looked like a top 5 pick?

I've said before, no challenge seems too big, he wants to make plays. The commentators criticized him for not taking check downs but I like that hes looking downfield, hes looking for a shot.

Those the same commentators saying Darnold needs time to grow and get acclimated to the system? Dude was SHOOK today, straight up.  Did Minshew make some mistakes, sure all QBs do.  Gardner didnt cost his team the game though.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(10-27-2019, 04:46 PM)NCJag Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 04:30 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I've been avoiding the Foles/Minshew issue but Minshew really stepped up today. What QB looked like a top 5 pick?

Those the same commentators saying Darnold needs time to grow and get acclimated to the system? Dude was SHOOK today, straight up.  Did Minshew make some mistakes, sure all QBs do.  Gardner didnt cost his team the game though.

One of those QB's went top 5, the other 6th round. No way would you guess right watching today. That's what blows me away with him, he looks so far ahead of players like Mayfield, Goff, Darnold, and it's not like hes surrounded by stars on that Oline 

Theres just something about this kid...

Minshew is the guy. There is no debate. You build the franchise around him. He won’t have fully perfect games this year, but he constantly shows more than 1st round picks.

He is the guy. Debate over

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2019, 05:02 PM by The Real Marty.)

(10-27-2019, 04:54 PM)IJagFan81 Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 04:46 PM)NCJag Wrote: Those the same commentators saying Darnold needs time to grow and get acclimated to the system? Dude was SHOOK today, straight up.  Did Minshew make some mistakes, sure all QBs do.  Gardner didnt cost his team the game though.

One of those QB's went top 5, the other 6th round. No way would you guess right watching today. That's what blows me away with him, he looks so far ahead of players like Mayfield, Goff, Darnold, and it's not like hes surrounded by stars on that Oline 

He can read defenses.

(10-27-2019, 05:01 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 04:54 PM)IJagFan81 Wrote: One of those QB's went top 5, the other 6th round. No way would you guess right watching today. That's what blows me away with him, he looks so far ahead of players like Mayfield, Goff, Darnold, and it's not like hes surrounded by stars on that Oline 

He can read defenses.

Well I'm watching Mayfield give up 3 straight turnovers. That's impressive.

He can but it's more than that. I love his attitude, hes a fighter and a winner but he wants to be one of the guys, theres no ego, its about the team. He reminds me of a young Favre so much.

I agree. Minshew is the future of the team. Time to embrace it! The guy is incredible for a rookie.

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2019, 05:42 PM by JaguarJosh05.)

Foles was brought in as a security blanket. We could never have predicted Minshew was going to be able to run this offense with so much confidence and rally the guys around him. Foles is a great asset to the team but I don't think he'll hang around to be a back up. Plus with this O-line he isn't making the plays Minshew made on both TD throws today.
No pain, no gain.

Foles is a short term starter. He's a keenum type. Good guy and can make a run on a good team.

Minshew is playing better than Foles ever has.

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2019, 06:05 PM by dennisp3.)

(10-27-2019, 05:12 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Foles was brought in as a security blanket. We could never have predicted Minshew was going to be able to run this offense with so much confidence and rally the guys around him. Foles is a great asset to the team but I don't think he'll hang around to be a back up. Plus with this O-line he isn't I making the plays Minshew made on both TD throws today.
My concern with Foles  Is with our offensive line Minshew can he move around in the pocket and extend plays like Minshew or will he get the ball out faster so he will not have to move around in the pocket to by time.  If Minshew wins against the Texans it’s gonna be a tough call on which quarterback to start.

(10-27-2019, 06:03 PM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 05:12 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Foles was brought in as a security blanket. We could never have predicted Minshew was going to be able to run this offense with so much confidence and rally the guys around him. Foles is a great asset to the team but I don't think he'll hang around to be a back up. Plus with this O-line he isn't I making the plays Minshew made on both TD throws today.
My concern with Foles  Is with our offensive line can he move around in the pocket and extend plays like Minshew or will he get the ball out faster so he will not have to move around in the pocket to by time.  If Minshew wins against the Texans it’s gonna be a tough call on which quarterback to start.

Per Mike DiRocc:

Quote:Jaguars C Brandon Linder absolutely LOVED QB Gardner Minshew's scrambling TD pass to WR DJ Chark. “That was crazy because I was yelling, 'Throw the ball! Throw the ball!' because I didn’t know what was happening and then I saw that," Linder said. "That son of a [BLEEP] , Minshew. That’s crazy. He’s a gunslinger. Me and Cam [Robinson] looked at each other and started laughing.”