Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gardner Flint Minshew II - (merged threads)

Kind of a long breakdown, skip to below for tl;dr

Back in preseason, as tempting as it was to shut off the TV I persevered and watched Minshew deliver accurate balls, that were on time... and usually dropped by guys who are no longer here. What I came away most impressed by were 7 things: 1) Accuracy 2) Footwork 3) Pad level in his drops 4) Takes what's there 5) Pocket Presence 6) Quick Release 7) He's fearless. The concerns about arm strength are still there, but against the Chiefs it seemed like he had enough arm to hit everything in the playbook. Based on what I saw in preseason and 3 quarters of work last Sunday, based on his biggest plays from the game (a reasonable assumption they're the things he does well/is comfortable with) lets take a look at how he fared, what formations he played out of, the routes he seemed to favor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQduDTUGL2Y use this bit of film for reference

:08 - Shotgun, 11 personnel, Spread look 2 receivers to either side,
Gardner sees Fuller follow Dede into the left slot, he continues to read him and recognizes zone. Dede runs to the flat and Fuller bites watching Gardner's eyes the whole way; allowing conley to come open on a slant with no defender to the inside for a nice gain to move the chains.

:14 - Shotgun, 11 personnel "trips right open" with the TE 2 yards from the formation but not "inline", dede in the slot and Chark outside the numbers at the Z, and Conley at the X isolated on the far side. (Watch for this formation more in the future, as I believe it to be the formation he had the most success with, that they ran the most, and takes advantage of the strengths of every player on offense at those respective spots)
Chark runs a hitch, Dede and Conley each run crossers, Swaim runs deep up the seam, Gardner sees the WLB cheat right and hits Conley coming across his face who gets up field with a block and broken tackle for a nice gain

:25 - Shotgun, 11 personnel "trips right open" (the same formation again). 
Gardner hits Conley on the slant isolated against a cornerback on the left side; (I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of Conley isolated with 2 or 3 receiver sets drawing coverage to the other side)

:35 - Under Center, Inverted Wishbone, 2 TE's/FB's in the backfield with Fournette as the deep back, 2 receivers tight to the formation.
Play Action gets the defense to bite, Both receivers run seam routes, minshew dials up a bomb leading Chark to the inside away from the defender for a huge gain (honestly Chark should've housed this pass)

1:09 - Shotgun, Trips Left Tight - TE inline on the left, 2 receivers out wide and a receiver tight to the formation on the right side. 
TE runs an out route, both outside receivers take an inside release and run upfield. Minshew scrambles for a couple with nothing there downfield.

1:19 - Shotgun, 2 receivers to the right, TE and receiver outside the numbers to the left.
Every receiver runs a hitch route and Minshew squeezes it in to Westbrook for a first down with the defender practically glued to him.

1:26 - Shotgun, 2 by 2 with the TE in the slot to the left
Conley runs a crosser, the other 3 receivers go deep. DJ Chark finds the hole in the zone down the right sideline and Gardner rifles in a pass into the "honey hole" for a big gain.

1:40 - Shotgun, Trips Right Open (with the Tight End inline on the right, and the isolated receiver tight to the formation just inside the numbers with the ball on the right hash)
Cole runs a curl, Conley runs a seam from the left, Dede runs an over route from the slot, O'Shaugnessy runs a crosser. Minshew hits Dede crossing into the hole in the zone coverage who falls into the endzone for a score!

tl;dr
-We'll be in 11 personnel a lot (1 TE, 1 RB, 3 WR's) 
-We'll be in shotgun 80-90% of the time
-Trips to one side with an iso receiver on the far side & 
-Two Receivers to either side. These will be the formations we utilize the most this season with a mix of guys.
-Slants, Seams, Crossers, Fades, Hitches, Back Shoulder, Over, Curls. Those are the throws he hit in order of most frequently completed, AND most frequently called; expect more of those in about the same frequency.
-Air Raid concepts included to increase Gardner's comfort level.
-Conley & Dede will be his favorite receivers (only 2 guys he targeted at all 3 levels of the field)
-Hope you enjoyed this or found it insightful
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The OC said that yesterday's game plan was obviously drawn up for Foles and his strengths. He said once Foles went down, he asked Minshew what he liked and what he felt comfortable running from the game plan and that's what they did.

Obviously going forward the game plan will change up some and play more towards Minshew's strengths. It's a shame Foles was only out there for like a dozen plays, so we really wont know/get to see just how different the Offense/game plan would of been with Foles vs Minshew.

(09-10-2019, 12:06 AM)Eric1 Wrote: The OC said that yesterday's game plan was obviously drawn up for Foles and his strengths. He said once Foles went down, he asked Minshew what he liked and what he felt comfortable running from the game plan and that's what they did.

Obviously going forward the game plan will change up some and play more towards Minshew's strengths. It's a shame Foles was only out there for like a dozen plays, so we really wont know/get to see just how different the Offense/game plan would of been with Foles vs Minshew.

Which is why I took his BEST plays (biggest gains) since I think there's a fair likelihood they'll keep calling the things that he's shown success with.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

They really should have let Minshew have the ball more than Fornette. He was really on fire. Anyone else think that Chark is really more of a possession guy than a burner? He got stopped every time yesterday.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

I think you did a great job of breaking down those highlights. I drove in from Alabama for the game and sat there in shock as I saw the kid make timely throw after timely throw and look like a ten year All Pro. I kept waiting for him to fall apart and show it was all smoke and mirrors, but it just kept going.

(09-10-2019, 12:22 AM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: I think you did a great job of breaking down those highlights. I drove in from Alabama for the game and sat there in shock as I saw the kid make timely throw after timely throw and look like a ten year All Pro. I kept waiting for him to fall apart and show it was all smoke and mirrors, but it just kept going.

I felt the same way. I am so used to Jags QB's being inaccruate and letting us down. Ever since Garrard left if the running game isn't going I feel like we never complete third downs. This kid tho, he was actually throwing good intermediate routes. I really hope he keeps doing well. After the last decade we deserve to get lucky for once at QB.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(09-09-2019, 11:45 PM)Firesky Wrote: Kind of a long breakdown, skip to below for tl;dr

Back in preseason, as tempting as it was to shut off the TV I persevered and watched Minshew deliver accurate balls, that were on time... and usually dropped by guys who are no longer here. What I came away most impressed by were 7 things: 1) Accuracy 2) Footwork 3) Pad level in his drops 4) Takes what's there 5) Pocket Presence 6) Quick Release 7) He's fearless. The concerns about arm strength are still there, but against the Chiefs it seemed like he had enough arm to hit everything in the playbook. Based on what I saw in preseason and 3 quarters of work last Sunday, based on his biggest plays from the game (a reasonable assumption they're the things he does well/is comfortable with) lets take a look at how he fared, what formations he played out of, the routes he seemed to favor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQduDTUGL2Y use this bit of film for reference

:08 - Shotgun, 11 personnel, Spread look 2 receivers to either side,
Gardner sees Fuller follow Dede into the left slot, he continues to read him and recognizes zone. Dede runs to the flat and Fuller bites watching Gardner's eyes the whole way; allowing conley to come open on a slant with no defender to the inside for a nice gain to move the chains.

:14 - Shotgun, 11 personnel "trips right open" with the TE 2 yards from the formation but not "inline", dede in the slot and Chark outside the numbers at the Z, and Conley at the X isolated on the far side. (Watch for this formation more in the future, as I believe it to be the formation he had the most success with, that they ran the most, and takes advantage of the strengths of every player on offense at those respective spots)
Chark runs a hitch, Dede and Conley each run crossers, Swaim runs deep up the seam, Gardner sees the WLB cheat right and hits Conley coming across his face who gets up field with a block and broken tackle for a nice gain

I agree that this may become a staple. Especially when they can get Oliver running that seam route or a variation of it. 
Lee will likely get a few looks at X or Z in this formation at some point as well. 

There were a number of plays yesterday that told me DeFilippo is keener to scheme to his players' skillsets than the coordinators we've seen in recent years.

Great post.

Above all else I think Minshews best trait is getting the ball out fast. He knows where his outlets are and seeks to have pretty good awareness of bodies around him.

Sunday showed De Filippo doing an excellent job of giving him enough outlets to use while also helping out with tackles with chips AND being aggresive when it was needed. I think for these next few games you keep the same formula, the more Minshew can help our line with quick completions the better for everyone.

Also, I was surprised about his ability to create. I don't know that was something he'd be able to do this early.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019, 09:22 AM by JAllen#41.)

Gonna be interesting this week. I think Romeo will press man up a lot to muddy the separation and see how the rookie does throwing into tight windows.  So I think it's going to be imperative that the receivers help him out a lot this week.

(09-10-2019, 09:18 AM)JAllen#41 Wrote: Gonna be interesting this week. I think Romeo will press man up a lot to muddy the separation and see how the rookie does throwing into tight windows.  So I think it's going to be imperative that the receivers help him out a lot this week.

And we get LF7 going.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019, 11:24 AM by Cleatwood.)

I second what everyone else is saying about Minshew. He is on time and accurate with those quick slants and that's something we really haven't seen from a Jags QB. He was also really great about hitting the hot read when they sent corners or safeties on blitzes.

One thing to note here is on the bomb to Chark, he threw the ball on target and 50 yards in the air basically flat footed. He didn't step up in the pocket and yet was still able to hit this pass. Pretty impressive.

major difference is minshew can run for his life with the lousy protection our qbs get. he will need to run for his life.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(09-10-2019, 11:48 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: major difference is minshew can run for his life with the lousy protection our qbs  get. he will need to run for his life.

Overall the protection against KC wasn't so bad. The hit on Foles sucked but it also should have been penalized.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-10-2019, 11:48 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: major difference is minshew can run for his life with the lousy protection our qbs  get. he will need to run for his life.

You really should've watched the game Sunday, the protection was really very good for most of the day. The Foles play was unfortunate but also an outlier to the body of work.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The one thing I read on a predraft o. Him.was he doesn't step into the throws often so relies on his arm to make the throws.

Good things I read are

Leader in the locker room
Quick reads and quick release
Often looks to his 3rd or 4th option
Accurate on his throws
Knows how move safeties to create a throwing lane

(09-10-2019, 12:09 PM)icey14 Wrote: The one thing I read on a predraft o. Him.was he doesn't step into the throws often so relies on his arm to make the throws.

Good things I read are

Leader in the locker room
Quick reads and quick release
Often looks to his 3rd or 4th option
Accurate on his throws
Knows how move safeties to create a throwing lane

Now if he can just move our safeties to cover the throwing lanes he'll be an All-Pro in no time!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I hope he takes the job now and never looks back. That is the best the Jags can hope for.

No kidding -- The Texans pass rush should be a real challenge.

(09-10-2019, 02:17 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

No kidding -- The Texans pass rush should be a real challenge.

Gotta block Mercilus. Watt looks old.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Anyone know if the highlights of the part of the game that went off-air are available anywhere?