Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaching candidates? (merged coaching threads)

(01-08-2021, 01:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I have a feeling there's a lot more happening that we don't know about. It wouldn't surprise me if Khan made a GM hiring announcement in the next week.

Well, I hope so.

Agreed.  But, I think the head coach announcement will be happening before the weekend is over.  I suspect the interview today will more or less be a discussion about whether Meyer is really interested or not.  If he's taking the interview, and the rumors are accurate that he has already been making calls to put a staff together, I suspect Urban is more than interested in the job.  Since both the head coach and GM will report directly to the owner, there's no need to have the GM in place before we hire a coach.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-08-2021, 02:14 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 01:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I have a feeling there's a lot more happening that we don't know about. It wouldn't surprise me if Khan made a GM hiring announcement in the next week.

Well, I hope so.

I hope so. While I wouldn't mind Meyer as a head coach, I definitely don't want him as Head Coach/GM, ala Coughlin 1.0. Our salary cap situation would erode rather quickly.

I don't think we'll have to worry about that.  Khan isn't going to give anyone that much control.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(01-08-2021, 02:29 PM)FBT Wrote:

Well, I hope so.

Agreed.  But, I think the head coach announcement will be happening before the weekend is over.  I suspect the interview today will more or less be a discussion about whether Meyer is really interested or not.  If he's taking the interview, and the rumors are accurate that he has already been making calls to put a staff together, I suspect Urban is more than interested in the job.  Since both the head coach and GM will report directly to the owner, there's no need to have the GM in place before we hire a coach.

Yea, The last time I saw this rumor he was making calls because he was interested in coaching the University of Texas.  Urban Myer has never ever built up a program in his entire career. He has taken over established programs. He has gotten a bit more out of the personnel but that was it.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(01-08-2021, 01:27 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 01:06 PM)Dimson Wrote: Why not? We have interviewed other coaches in the play offs.

Bienemy has a bye week and is eligible for interviews. 

Daboll isn't allowed to interview until after their game

I did not know this. That makes me feel a little better.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2021, 05:48 PM by JAGFAN88.)

(01-08-2021, 04:14 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 02:29 PM)FBT Wrote: Agreed.  But, I think the head coach announcement will be happening before the weekend is over.  I suspect the interview today will more or less be a discussion about whether Meyer is really interested or not.  If he's taking the interview, and the rumors are accurate that he has already been making calls to put a staff together, I suspect Urban is more than interested in the job.  Since both the head coach and GM will report directly to the owner, there's no need to have the GM in place before we hire a coach.

Yea, The last time I saw this rumor he was making calls because he was interested in coaching the University of Texas.  Urban Myer has never ever built up a program in his entire career. He has taken over established programs. He has gotten a bit more out of the personnel but that was it.

yea when he puts his own ppl in and builds with his recruits he losses, fakes a heart attack, then quits

(01-08-2021, 12:14 PM)Jagwired Wrote: A Meyer hire will be a huge disappointment for me.

it might mean another 3-4 years of losing even with trevor

(01-08-2021, 01:16 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 01:00 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: We can't interview Daboll yet.

But it's strange we haven't requested permission to though.

Why?

Jags interviewed Bienimey and he's still with KC, wasn't in person though..

We could interview during their by week daboll will have to wait till they are out i hope Kahn waits

Albert Breer on 1010 saying the Jaguars aren’t interviewing Urban Meyer, Urban Meyer is interviewing the Jaguars. Rick Ballou is about to have an orgasm.

Why are people so high on this guy?

(01-08-2021, 07:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Albert Breer on 1010 saying the Jaguars aren’t interviewing Urban Meyer, Urban Meyer is interviewing the Jaguars. Rick Ballou is about to have an orgasm.

No [BLEEP] clue.

(01-08-2021, 07:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Albert Breer on 1010 saying the Jaguars aren’t interviewing Urban Meyer, Urban Meyer is interviewing the Jaguars. Rick Ballou is about to have an orgasm.

Ninja 

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Well he's a good coach but I agree people seem a little bit to hyped over him. He is just one candidate out of several we should be looking at.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Well some are saying if its not Meyer they'll be very surprised. Can anyone tell me why he's a good coach for us now with no nfl experience? Didn't he do shady things at the schools he coached?
No Fun

(01-08-2021, 08:19 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Well some are saying if its not Meyer they'll be very surprised. Can anyone tell me why he's a good coach for us now with no nfl experience? Didn't he do shady things at the schools he coached?

He won 3  Championships so that should translate to the NFL. Didn't work for Saban though.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-08-2021, 08:19 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Well some are saying if its not Meyer they'll be very surprised. Can anyone tell me why he's a good coach for us now with no nfl experience? Didn't he do shady things at the schools he coached?

Football is football. The players are just better in the NFL. He's had some discipline issues at his programs and that's a legit concern. I think the lack of experience at the NFL level can be mitigated by hiring an experienced staff. I dunno. He's won everywhere he's gone although some people think that's just coincidence apparently. I tend to thing he'd be successful but he's not really my first choice.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2021, 09:16 PM by mikesez.)

(01-08-2021, 08:31 PM)Dimson Wrote:

He won 3  Championships so that should translate to the NFL. Didn't work for Saban though.

Didn't work for Spurrier either.
It has never worked.

(01-08-2021, 08:33 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

Football is football. The players are just better in the NFL. He's had some discipline issues at his programs and that's a legit concern. I think the lack of experience at the NFL level can be mitigated by hiring an experienced staff. I dunno. He's won everywhere he's gone although some people think that's just coincidence apparently. I tend to thing he'd be successful but he's not really my first choice.

you acknowledge his teams had discipline problems at the college level, how do you suppose that's going to magically get better when he's dealing with older players who have money and can demand trades?

This guy hasn't had to answer to anybody since he became head coach at Utah. That was like 15 years ago! And you think he's not just going to listen and learn what he needs to learn, but that he's going to learn it from his assistant coaches that he himself hired, who owe him their jobs?!

Mitigate?! 
oh no I just stepped in dog poop, I guess I'll mitigate it by stepping in it with the other foot!
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-08-2021, 09:12 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 08:33 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Football is football. The players are just better in the NFL. He's had some discipline issues at his programs and that's a legit concern. I think the lack of experience at the NFL level can be mitigated by hiring an experienced staff. I dunno. He's won everywhere he's gone although some people think that's just coincidence apparently. I tend to thing he'd be successful but he's not really my first choice.

you acknowledge his teams had discipline problems at the college level, how do you suppose that's going to magically get better when he's dealing with older players who have money and can demand trades?

This guy hasn't had to answer to anybody since he became head coach at Utah. That was like 15 years ago! And you think he's not just going to listen and learn what he needs to learn, but that he's going to learn it from his assistant coaches that he himself hired, who owe him their jobs?!

Mitigate?! 
oh no I just stepped in dog poop, I guess I'll mitigate it by stepping in it with the other foot!

I don't think he's necessarily the best choice but one of the best things if he IS hired will be seeing these angry Gator fans crying bitter tears, lol.

It still rubs me the wrong way that everyone keeps saying how lucky we are that godking Urban Meyer is considering poor little Jacksonville and we are expected to simply spread our legs for him. I don't think he is going to be a great coach, but even if I did I wouldn't want him at this point just because of how belittling everyone is toward us.

Yeah, the Meyer rumor has me reflecting back to the NFL attempts of the Visor Dude and the Sabanator. Not to say someone can't come straight from college to the NFL and have success, but I'm not really that excited about it.

(01-08-2021, 10:32 PM)Upper Wrote: It still rubs me the wrong way that everyone keeps saying how lucky we are that godking Urban Meyer is considering poor little Jacksonville and we are expected to simply spread our legs for him. I don't think he is going to be a great coach, but even if I did I wouldn't want him at this point just because of how belittling everyone is toward us.

Yea the fact that people are saying crap like "the jags aren't interviewing Meyer, he's interviewing them" blah blah blah.

I just have a bad feeling about all of this. Wont be surprised one bit when he ditches (blaming health issues) mid way through year 2 when he finds out the NFL isn't college and it's not as easy as it looks.

(01-08-2021, 10:32 PM)Upper Wrote: It still rubs me the wrong way that everyone keeps saying how lucky we are that godking Urban Meyer is considering poor little Jacksonville and we are expected to simply spread our legs for him. I don't think he is going to be a great coach, but even if I did I wouldn't want him at this point just because of how belittling everyone is toward us.

Yeah.  Cowherd was talking about how Jax is a college town and so it's a perfect fit because we have never had a pro sports feel and he can give us recognition and nobody wants to coach here blah blah blah

(01-08-2021, 08:31 PM)Dimson Wrote:

yea but he won 3 championships with other ppls teams once he built he own team they lost a couple games and he quit with health concers. yea he can take his 12 mill to LA

(01-08-2021, 10:48 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

Yea the fact that people are saying crap like "the jags aren't interviewing Meyer, he's interviewing them" blah blah blah.

I just have a bad feeling about all of this. Wont be surprised one bit when he ditches (blaming health issues) mid way through year 2 when he finds out the NFL isn't college and it's not as easy as it looks.

Yep.  Sudden acid reflux will attack the first sign of trouble, then he walks away with a big pay day and the Jaguars come off looking stupid for ever hiring him.  Trevor Lawrence's career set back by having to bring in a new coach to replace him so soon.

It's a flashy move.  One that's sure to draw media attention.  He's an accomplished coach, but one that will quit when the going gets tough.  That's not what we need.  Stability.  Someone who will be here in 4 years, instead of cutting and running.