Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaching candidates? (merged coaching threads)

Could it be?

"Mike Tannenbaum links Dabo Swinney to Jaguars job" https://247sports-com.cdn.ampproject.org...7606800%2F

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I definitely wouldn't be against it.. Would be better than any of these re-treads that we've been stuck with..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Dani plus his QB? Very nice! High five!

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2020, 08:50 PM by JaG4LyFe.)

It's Swinney or Beiniemy. We all need to go the Jets board and wish them a happy new year. They're going to need it
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Bring Venebles?

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2020, 09:23 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-22-2020, 08:31 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Could it be?

"Mike Tannenbaum links Dabo Swinney to Jaguars job" https://247sports-com.cdn.ampproject.org...7606800%2F

I might be the only dissenter here, but does Dabo have any NFL experience in coaching? The college game is very different from the NFL. Remember when Miami hired Nick Saban? That didn't go well. I'd just feel safer with a current NFL Offensive Coordinator. I prefer NFL coordinators like Eric Bieniemy, Brian Daboll, Arthur Smith or Pete Carmichael. Those would be my top candidates.

(12-22-2020, 08:49 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: It's  Swinney or Beiniemy. We all need to go the Jets board and wish them a happy new year. They're going to need it

If they select Zach Wilson, they'll be just fine.

Just saw that the NFL passed a new rule/exception. Teams can interview currently employed coaches starting Wednesday.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(12-22-2020, 09:33 PM)copycat Wrote: Just saw that the NFL passed a new rule/exception.  Teams can interview currently employed coaches starting Wednesday.

And so it begins...
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(12-22-2020, 09:33 PM)copycat Wrote: Just saw that the NFL passed a new rule/exception.  Teams can interview currently employed coaches starting Wednesday.

That's all fine and good, but we need a GM before we should look at coaches. That's the right way to do things.

I think Dabo would be great. I think he could be a young Pete Carrol, like the article mentioned. Let’s take care of these final two games though (by that I mean lose)

Doesn't matter to us, we got Marrone until the end of the year.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-22-2020, 08:37 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I definitely wouldn't be against it.. Would be better than any of these re-treads that we've been stuck with..
(12-22-2020, 08:40 PM)Jags Wrote: Dani plus his QB? Very nice! High five!
(12-22-2020, 09:40 PM)Newton Wrote: I think Dabo would be great. I think he could be a young Pete Carrol, like the article mentioned. Let’s take care of these final two games though (by that I mean lose)
(12-22-2020, 08:59 PM)TownCenterJag Wrote: Bring Venebles?
He sucks at anything other than running a program, he is more of a GM than a coach. The only reason he is successful is Venables. He was on the verge of getting fired and he finally found some assistant coaches to coach. Not sure why Venables hasn't left and most of the other coaches have stayed. Not sure what Dabo has on them to keep them from leaving and getting promotions.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(12-23-2020, 02:31 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 08:37 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I definitely wouldn't be against it.. Would be better than any of these re-treads that we've been stuck with..
(12-22-2020, 08:40 PM)Jags Wrote: Dani plus his QB?  Very nice! High five!
(12-22-2020, 09:40 PM)Newton Wrote: I think Dabo would be great. I think he could be a young Pete Carrol, like the article mentioned. Let’s take care of these final two games though (by that I mean lose)
(12-22-2020, 08:59 PM)TownCenterJag Wrote: Bring Venebles?
He sucks at anything other than running a program, he is more of a GM than a coach. The only reason he is successful is Venables. He was on the verge of getting fired and he finally found some assistant coaches to coach. Not sure why Venables hasn't left and most of the other coaches have stayed. Not sure what Dabo has on them to keep them from leaving and getting promotions.

That is what you want in a head coach. Someone good at running a program. Someone who surrounds himself with good assistants that he can trust to get the job done.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(12-23-2020, 03:03 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 02:31 AM)p_rushing Wrote: He sucks at anything other than running a program, he is more of a GM than a coach. The only reason he is successful is Venables. He was on the verge of getting fired and he finally found some assistant coaches to coach. Not sure why Venables hasn't left and most of the other coaches have stayed. Not sure what Dabo has on them to keep them from leaving and getting promotions.

That is what you want in a head coach. Someone good at running a program. Someone who surrounds himself with good assistants that he can trust to get the job done.
It is one way to be successful, but it is also dangerous because you tie your success to how good you are at hiring and keeping assistant coaches.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2020, 09:53 AM by Mikey.)

(12-22-2020, 08:31 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Could it be?

the only thing you need to know. Dabo Swinney is an anagram of Soybean Wind.

I'll pass (gas).

Pete Carroll went to college after faltering in the NFL. This would be that boy's first attempt at failing in the NFL. Until he either ends up in NCAA hot water (Oh hai, Pete!) or the recruits stop coming to Clemson, he'd be foolish to leave that gig.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2020, 01:53 PM by Bullseye.)

I'm glad you mentioned retreads.

There is a strong anti retread sentiment amongst fans looking for the right coach.  It's an understandable stance to have.  Just because a coach hasn't been a head coach on the NFL level, it doesn't mean he can't be a successful coach.

However, there is a case to be made for a "retread coach."

A successful HC would bring instant credibility with him.  The Colts brought in Tony Dungy, who had a high degree of success in Tampa.  He helped to build the Colt defense to a point where they finally broke through and won the Super bowl with Peyon Manning.  For that matter, Tampa brought in Gruden, who had earlier success with Oakland.   He had the ability to tweak the Bucs offense enough to win the Super Bowl.  Most recently, Andy Reid left a successful career in Philadelphia to coach the Chiefs to their first Super Bowl championship since the 1969 season.

Admittedly, this scenario is farfetched, but if I had my choice of "retreads," I would want Sean Payton here.

First, he's still relatively young for a coach.  Health permitting, he could coach for another ten years or so.  Second, he's a proven success, winning a Super Bowl in New Orleans, and perhaps should have another Super Bowl on his resume.  He's turned the Saints into annual contenders.  He is still one of the most imaginative offensive minds in the game, who attacks downfield.

But isn't he still coaching the Saints? 

Yes he is.

However, coaches have egos.  Coaches care about their legacies.  While his legacy is cemented in New Orleans, is he a Hall of Fame coach?  Maybe not yet.

But with Brees nearing the end, it's doubtful he'll continue to win as he is once Brees leaves.

If Peyton believes in Lawrence, he would enhance his legacy by coming here (assuming the Jaguars end up with the top pick).  Together, they could win a Super Bowl, making Peyton one of the very few coaches that took two different teams to a Super Bowl (joining Don Shula, Bill Parcells, Mike Holmgren, and Andy Reid) and would be the first to win Super Bowls with two different teams.  (By the way, much of this analysis could apply to Mike Tomlin.)

Of course, Sean Peyton could be quite happy in New Orleans.  Perhaps he has just as much confidence in Taysom Hill as he has in Brees.  But perhaps he will want a new challenge.  Perhaps he wants to improve his legacy.  If the Jaguars end up with Trevor Lawrence, he would be off to a good start.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We get the whole Clemson staff, offense and defense gonna be lit. Gone is the 1980's offense and defense we be running for years. Finally getting with the times.

I’ve been clamoring for Dabo for a few years now. Ever since Watson won a championship with him. I love his style.

If we bring him on board along with Lawrence, then we are in good shape for a long time. Finally...

I can’t believe I’m about to say this but if we win another game before the draft then I’m quitting Jaguar Football.

(12-23-2020, 01:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

I'm glad you mentioned retreads.

There is a strong anti retread sentiment amongst fans looking for the right coach.  It's an understandable stance to have.  Just because a coach hasn't been a head coach on the NFL level, it doesn't mean he can't be a successful coach.

A successful HC would bring instant credibility with him.  The Colts brought in Tony Dungy, who had a high degree of success in Tampa.  He helped to build the Colt defense to a point where they finally broke through and won the Super bowl with Peyon Manning.  For that matter, Tampa brought in Gruden, who had earlier success with Oakland.   He had the ability to tweak the Bucs offense enough to win the Super Bowl.  Most recently, Andy Reid left a successful career in Philadelphia to coach the Chiefs to their first Super Bowl championship since the 1969 season.

Admittedly, this scenario is farfetched, but if I had my choice of "retreads," I would want Sean Payton here.

First, he's still relatively young for a coach.  Health permitting, he could coach for another ten years or so.  Second, he's a proven success, winning a Super Bowl in New Orleans, and perhaps should have another Super Bowl on his resume.  He's turned the Saints into annual contenders.  He is still one of the most imaginative offensive minds in the game, who attacks downfield.

Yes he is.

However, coaches have egos.  Coaches care about their legacies.  While his legacy is cemented in New Orleans, is he a Hall of Fame coach?  Maybe not yet.

But with Brees nearing the end, it's doubtful he'll continue to win as he is once Brees leaves.

If Peyton believes in Lawrence, he would enhance his legacy by coming here (assuming the Jaguars end up with the top pick).  Together, they could win a Super Bowl, making Peyton one of the very few coaches that took two different teams to a Super Bowl (joining Bill Parcells, Mike Holmgren, and Andy Reid) and would be the first to win Super Bowls with two different teams.  (By the way, much of this analysis could apply to Mike Tomlin.)

Of course, Sean Peyton could be quite happy in New Orleans.  Perhaps he has just as much confidence in Taysom Hill as he has in Brees.  But perhaps he will want a new challenge.  Perhaps he wants to improve his legacy.  If the Jaguars end up with Trevor Lawrence, he would be off to a good start.
I would take Peyton in a heart beat

(12-23-2020, 01:51 PM)Newton Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 01:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I'm glad you mentioned retreads.

Yes he is.

If Peyton believes in Lawrence, he would enhance his legacy by coming here (assuming the Jaguars end up with the top pick).  Together, they could win a Super Bowl, making Peyton one of the very few coaches that took two different teams to a Super Bowl (joining Bill Parcells, Mike Holmgren, and Andy Reid) and would be the first to win Super Bowls with two different teams.  (By the way, much of this analysis could apply to Mike Tomlin.)

I would take Peyton in a heart beat

Me too.  Tomlin wouldn't be far behind in my eyes.

Tomlin has actually been to more Super Bowls than Peyton.  He's never had a losing season.

I think he doesn't get enough credit for his flexibility.

He was a Dungy disciple, coming up through Minnesota and Tampa-tow 4-3 based defenses.

But he was willing to eschew his own personal defensive philosophy to stick with what works in the Steelers' defensive scheme.  Many coaches would not have done so.  Their egos would not permit it.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!