Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gardner Flint Minshew II - (merged threads)

Here's what bothers me about the whole wins/losses thing

If Minshew plays poorly in a win next week, I could see them saying "Well he's done very well but he still needs to be brought along a bit more slowly if we can help it..." and benching him for Foles, I could see that make sense. But what if he DOESN'T play poorly? What if he balls out again, and come week 11, he has 14 or 15 TDs to 2, maybe 3 interceptions? Even if they lose next week and he plays great, what would putting Foles in change?

What happened to Foles sucks. And if Minshew weren't playing as well as he was, i'd be excited to see the guy come back to start the team off. But Minshew's been anything but your typical rookie QB. It's not Foles or Gardner's fault or anybody's fault, but Minshew really has stepped it up to an excellent level. I just can't figure what Foles is going to do that Minshew hasn't already been doing. Getting the ball out faster, maybe? Saavy NFL veteranship? It's a [BLEEP] situation in that you don't want to see Gardner sat unless he plays absolutely atrocious, but you don't want to have a guy you paid TONS to to start not play either. But it's nice to have a genuine QB controversy around having TWO good QBs on the team for a change, eh?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-30-2019, 12:21 PM by Kane.)

(10-30-2019, 11:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 11:45 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: WIth little faith in our FO and the moves they usually make to reflect on, i hope they roll with Minshew.  Fans are already ready for a new staff, so it would keep most of us happy, and happy fans usually   wins  lead to job security.

You're saying fans are ready for a new staff, but playing 15 the rest of the season would make those fans happy, so then they WILL NOT want a new staff anymore?   
Or they'll be happy, but still want a new staff after the current staff just made them happy? 

Yep!
Laughing

(10-30-2019, 12:04 PM)Nikowho Wrote: Here's what bothers me about the whole wins/losses thing

If Minshew plays poorly in a win next week, I could see them saying "Well he's done very well but he still needs to be brought along a bit more slowly if we can help it..." and benching him for Foles, I could see that make sense. But what if he DOESN'T play poorly? What if he balls out again, and come week 11, he has 14 or 15 TDs to 2, maybe 3 interceptions? Even if they lose next week and he plays great, what would putting Foles in change?

What happened to Foles sucks. And if Minshew weren't playing as well as he was, i'd be excited to see the guy come back to start the team off. But Minshew's been anything but your typical rookie QB. It's not Foles or Gardner's fault or anybody's fault, but Minshew really has stepped it up to an excellent level. I just can't figure what Foles is going to do that Minshew hasn't already been doing. Getting the ball out faster, maybe? Saavy NFL veteranship? It's a [BLEEP] situation in that you don't want to see Gardner sat unless he plays absolutely atrocious, but you don't want to have a guy you paid TONS to to start not play either. But it's nice to have a genuine QB controversy around having TWO good QBs on the team for a change, eh?

I think Minshew has to play poorly for them to bench him in favor of Foles. Win or lose.

If he plays well in a loss I think he's given the clots game to play in. If we lose there, I could see them switching over even if Minshew plays well just to try and see if Foles elevates the team somehow. A desperate try at that point but perhaps one that "needs" to be made.

That's just my best guess from nothing. And personally (and I've waffled a bit over the last few weeks admittedly) I think Minshew deserves to remain the starter the remainder of the year and you deal with Foles in the off season somehow someway, via trade or he retires or whatever.

Well at least Marrone isn’t willing to even talk about it yet. It’s some what reliving to know that they realize a discussion needs to take place and a decision must be made rather than “Foles is the unquestioned starter”.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I wonder if they try to bring Foles back slowly and get him 1 or 2 series to see what he looks like. We haven't seen Foles, but he did throw a perfect TD pass in the few plays he had. If he plays like that in practice, you probably have to start him. The issue is he could die if the OL isn't blocking.

They have gone against convention and are rotating the OL regularly. Maybe they try that with Foles to see how he plays with the OL.

(10-30-2019, 12:27 PM)p_rushing Wrote: We haven't seen Foles, but he did throw a perfect TD pass in the few plays he had.

I've seen GM throw 8 perfect TD passes.

I see no way they can Bench stache now, he is the face of the franchise. 

I can see the front office doing the dance, not saying, only to make other teams think about it.

We have to pay them both anyway, how nice to have a QB1 for mop up time when we are 50-0 vs the clots in the 4th Qtr.

Look at his headband!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7o8ueUutAY

(10-30-2019, 12:27 PM)p_rushing Wrote: I wonder if they try to bring Foles back slowly and get him 1 or 2 series to see what he looks like. We haven't seen Foles, but he did throw a perfect TD pass in the few plays he had. If he plays like that in practice, you probably have to start him. The issue is he could die if the OL isn't blocking.

They have gone against convention and are rotating the OL regularly. Maybe they try that with Foles to see how he plays with the OL.

They are only rotating RG -  and lately it's been mostly Cann with a few series of Richardson. 

Any other changes (Ogbuehi) have been due to injury or them adding an extra lineman (as eligible rec) on run sets.

(10-27-2019, 06:27 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 05:00 PM)Ordar Wrote: Minshew is the guy. There is no debate. You build the franchise around him. He won’t have fully perfect games this year, but he constantly shows more than 1st round picks.

He is the guy. Debate over

Perfectly said.

Anyone still wanting Foles back in there is cognitively impaired.

What happens when he plays a better defense that throws out schemes that Minshew has not seen and for which he doesn't know a gameplay to adjust, a la the Saints?

Do you just bring Foles off the bench in that situation?

(10-30-2019, 03:13 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 06:27 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: Perfectly said.

What happens when he plays a better defense that throws out schemes that Minshew has not seen and for which he doesn't know a gameplay to adjust, a la the Saints?

You let him learn from that situation but the Jags won't face a defense like the Saints the rest of the year. The Saints have elite players at just about every level. The Chargers and Titans are probably the two best defenses the Jags will face the rest of the way (maybe the Colts). 

Teams have been gameplanning for Minshew but he's been gameplanning for them too.

(This post was last modified: 10-30-2019, 03:53 PM by Kane.)

ATT Uverse dropped NFLN so I can not see the Minshew spot

And I'll have to be a reddit pirate to see the game Sunday morning

(10-30-2019, 03:13 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 06:27 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: Perfectly said.

He was playing through injury in that game too.
And it was still close.

I think Foles is on the bench unless Minshew has a BAD game... like... no business making that throw... completely sucks bawls type game

Which... I don't see happening.

(10-30-2019, 03:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 12:27 PM)p_rushing Wrote: I wonder if they try to bring Foles back slowly and get him 1 or 2 series to see what he looks like. We haven't seen Foles, but he did throw a perfect TD pass in the few plays he had. If he plays like that in practice, you probably have to start him. The issue is he could die if the OL isn't blocking.

They are only rotating RG -  and lately it's been mostly Cann with a few series of Richardson. 

Any other changes (Ogbuehi) have been due to injury or them adding an extra lineman (as eligible rec) on run sets.

They are still rotating the RG position?
I hadn't really been paying as much attention.

I don't get it...

[Image: 72739087_2537207952982179_41340546411533...e=5E56F81C]

(10-30-2019, 03:05 PM)H8tank Wrote: Look at his headband!

Looks like the Tiger pic, yes? If so I want one.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-31-2019, 07:03 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 03:05 PM)H8tank Wrote: Look at his headband!

Looks like the Tiger pic, yes? If so I want one.

He said it was a Tarzan headband.

(10-30-2019, 11:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 11:45 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: WIth little faith in our FO and the moves they usually make to reflect on, i hope they roll with Minshew.  Fans are already ready for a new staff, so it would keep most of us happy, and happy fans usually   wins  lead to job security.

fixed

Wait a minute...

You're saying fans are ready for a new staff, but playing 15 the rest of the season would make those fans happy, so then they WILL NOT want a new staff anymore?   
Or they'll be happy, but still want a new staff after the current staff just made them happy? 

You're all over the place here.

i wasn't specific enough for you, i see.  The jags are actually looking at .500 with Minshew.  Alot of them were looking at that with Foles due to the FO paying him 88mil to lead us to glory/playoffs/SB.  If Minshew can do what an 88mil QB was suppose to, then i would say that makes their jobs a little more secure since they drafted said QB.  We do need wins to get to .500 and losses only drive the point home to clean house.  I said Playoffs or bust myself with Foles although excuses were made that .500 is more reasonable and i guess its not my money.  I really don't know what clearer way to put it, unless im speaking new english.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(10-30-2019, 08:40 AM)Jaxson Wrote: Minshew on Foles' potential return: I can't really worry about it

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...y-about-it

Jaguars quarterback Gardner Minshew said he's not concerned with the decision the staff will have to make when Nick Foles is fully healthy.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-31-2019, 01:58 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 11:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: fixed

Wait a minute...

You're all over the place here.

i wasn't specific enough for you, i see.  The jags are actually looking at .500 with Minshew.  Alot of them were looking at that with Foles due to the FO paying him 88mil to lead us to glory/playoffs/SB.  If Minshew can do what an 88mil QB was suppose to, then i would say that makes their jobs a little more secure since they drafted said QB.  We do need wins to get to .500 and losses only drive the point home to clean house.  I said Playoffs or bust myself with Foles although excuses were made that .500 is more reasonable and i guess its not my money.  I really don't know what clearer way to put it, unless im speaking new english.

LOL

Answer me this :

If Minshew keeps the start the whole season, do you still want to fire EVP, GM and HC?

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2019, 05:09 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(10-31-2019, 02:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 01:58 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: i wasn't specific enough for you, i see.  The jags are actually looking at .500 with Minshew.  Alot of them were looking at that with Foles due to the FO paying him 88mil to lead us to glory/playoffs/SB.  If Minshew can do what an 88mil QB was suppose to, then i would say that makes their jobs a little more secure since they drafted said QB.  We do need wins to get to .500 and losses only drive the point home to clean house.  I said Playoffs or bust myself with Foles although excuses were made that .500 is more reasonable and i guess its not my money.  I really don't know what clearer way to put it, unless im speaking new english.

LOL

Answer me this :

If Minshew keeps the start the whole season, do you still want to fire EVP, GM and HC?

It depends on the team's performance for the rest of the season.  If it looks like it has so far this year, i'd give them another year with him and see if they can build on this or fail.  If the season goes down hill from here and we are grasping at straws then yes. I'm enjoying the ride on the Minshew Mania train tho. Its better than i ever expected this year before he came in.

I can admit i thought the mcgough, or whatever his name was, guy was more agile and had better awareness in the pocket. This looks like a completely different Minshew than what i saw in preseason so i'm happily excited to see his success.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(10-31-2019, 02:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 01:58 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: i wasn't specific enough for you, i see.  The jags are actually looking at .500 with Minshew.  Alot of them were looking at that with Foles due to the FO paying him 88mil to lead us to glory/playoffs/SB.  If Minshew can do what an 88mil QB was suppose to, then i would say that makes their jobs a little more secure since they drafted said QB.  We do need wins to get to .500 and losses only drive the point home to clean house.  I said Playoffs or bust myself with Foles although excuses were made that .500 is more reasonable and i guess its not my money.  I really don't know what clearer way to put it, unless im speaking new english.

LOL

Answer me this :

I'd still be ok with firing TC even if we make the playoffs