Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Big Cat Country writes another glowing review of Tyson Alualu

Quote:On a properly managed team like this a player is compared to other players, not his salary cap hit. Make football decisions, not money decisions. 

But that's my point...  I don't think his play and the fact that he's a back up warrants what he'd be paid...  

I concede that Alualu has played OK this season in his backup role, but should we be paying a backup more than the starters on this team?  Couldn't we find a serviceable backup DE that plays the 5 technique?  I'm sure we could...  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Possibly, but his salary is set to go up to 3.9 in 2015...  Is that still worth it for a backup?
Alualu's salary is $2.44 million next year. I'm not sure what his total cap hit would be but I'm guessing it's leftover bonus money that will be on the cap whether you cut him or not. So the total savings won't be more than $2.5 million.

Here's a list of our DEs and what they are paid...

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/jack.../limit-25/

Quote:Alualu is good depth, but he's not a starter.  And he's definatley not worth 3.9 million a year, as the article originally referenced to suggests he should be paid...

Per the article, "or bring Alualu back in 2015 for a $3.985 million cap hit."

So the question is, do you think Alualu is worth almost 4 million next year?  I personally don't...
If you cut him you still take a 1.5 million cap hit. Letting him play out his contract would be cheaper than signing a comparable guy who we would have to add his 2015 salary and signing bonuses to that 1.5 million cap hit.

Quote:But that's my point...  I don't think his play and the fact that he's a back up warrants what he'd be paid...  

I concede that Alualu has played OK this season in his backup role, but should we be paying a backup more than the starters on this team?  Couldn't we find a serviceable backup DE that plays the 5 technique?  I'm sure we could...  
What's he's paid DOES. NOT. MATTER. It's irrelevant. Beside the point. Not pertinent. Inconsequential.

What does matter is how his play compares to the other D-linemen. Does he play better or worse overall? Does he fulfill a role no one else can do? What is his contribution to the defense?

Quote:Possibly, but his salary is set to go up to 3.9 in 2015...  Is that still worth it for a backup?
His salary is 2.44 mil next year. 1.5 mil is dead money that you can't recoup even if you cut him.

Quote:Alualu's salary is $2.44 million next year. I'm not sure what his total cap hit would be but I'm guessing it's leftover bonus money that will be on the cap whether you cut him or not. So the total savings won't be more than $2.5 million.

Gotcha, you're correct.  Here's the 2015 breakdown:  http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/2015.../limit-25/

But again, the article by our favorite guy is talking about Alualu getting 3.9 million for next year... It's in his article.  Not sure how he came up with that number, maybe you can explain that one to me...  But at 3.9 million, you're overpaying for a backup.

Quote:His salary is 2.44 mil next year. 1.5 mil is dead money that you can't recoup even if you cut him.

OK, so is that where the 3.9 million comes from?

Quote:OK, so is that where the 3.9 million comes from?
Add???

Quote:OK, so is that where the 3.9 million comes from?
Most likely. I'm not sure what Alualu's signing bonus was but considering rookie contracts were like at the time a $7.5 million bonus doesn't seem very far fetched. 

Quote:Here's a list of our DEs and what they are paid...

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/jack.../limit-25/
That only shows the salary portion of what they get pad. Bonuses can get much bigger.

You do realize that Bryant received a 3.9 million roster bonus in 2014 so his salary shows about 1/4th of what he actually earned. Most of those guys do have bonuses due on top of the salary shown but not Alualu.

Bryant's salary next year goes up to 3.2 mil with a 1 mil roster bonus.

Man.  Alfie really gets some people here goin.  

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2014, 09:31 AM by Joe.)

Quote:I'm aware where they come from. The thing is, Alualu plays primarily defensive end, though. Specifically the strong side end. He kicks inside in some situations.

No, I'm not really going to say that he has "exclusively played 5 tech" because he hasn't, nor have I ever said he has. That doesn't mean he's a "defensive tackle". Just like when Darren Sproles lines up at wide receiver in the slot, he's not a wide receiver. He's a running back who will at times line up as a wide receiver, just like Tyson Alualu at times will lineup inside in some packages.

You are aware players can shift around in packages right? That doesn't change their primary position now, does it?

Therefor, complaining about his salary in comparison to people like Marks, who primarily play defensive tackle, is comical.

I'm sorry being able to see that Alualu is a good depth player in his role bothers you, Joe, and thunderbuns so much. How mad were you guys when he didn't get cut last year like I told you he wouldn't? Did you press the keys on the keyboard hard?
Lol kinda like how you said Branch should be cut?

" Alualu finally found his niche!". Lol sorry, I've never considered anyone who has been demoted to of " found their niche".

You're a freaking joke kid.

I said Alualu wouldn't be cut, because we had no other choice. I then said he would be replaced, and that was literally the FIRST thing they did in the offseason.

You said Branch looked like the worst defensive lineman in camp, and he goes on to have a pretty good season.

Odd how that works out huh? Meanwhile, after looking like a fool by Branch, you're now writing a damage control article on keeping Alualu.

Please go back and look at the tapes. The guy is always a step behind every body. He is easily pushed around by the tackle making him worthless as a pass rusher. Since the Jags got more talents on the D-line, I would be shocked if he returns next season.

Quote:Please go back and look at the tapes. The guy is always a step behind every body. He is easily pushed around by the tackle making him worthless as a pass rusher. Since the Jags got more talents on the D-line, I would be shocked if he returns next season.
People say that every year and every year Alualu remains on the roster. Guy has played for three head coaches, four if you count Mel Tucker, and not one has cut him. Even when Caldwell and Bradley starting bringing in "their guys" on the D-line Alualu found a spot in the rotation. I'll take the decisions of professional NFL personnel over you "looking at the tapes".

AluAlu has proven he's only good as a backup in my opinion that doesnt worth his salary.  If he took a huge pay cut I could see it but honestly DE Smith has shown to be better back up to Big Red, and Marks & Roy Miller got DT where does that leave Tyson with that salary?

He'll be cut, but they might try to hype him up this game in order for him to get a FA deal... great guy but average player to below.

Quote:People say that every year and every year Alualu remains on the roster. Guy has played for three head coaches, four if you count Mel Tucker, and not one has cut him. Even when Caldwell and Bradley starting bringing in "their guys" on the D-line Alualu found a spot in the rotation. I'll take the decisions of professional NFL personnel over you "looking at the tapes".
The guy is a great person from the video clips I've seen he refused to haze the rookies and Marks told him he was too nice (he probably used different words) as an example.  The guy did get moved around a bit from DE to DT to DE, with different DCs but excuses are plenty and this is a results driven league.  The guy is average at stopping the run, and below average at getting pressure.  He had moments of praise and of failure, but he doesnt warrant the salary he's getting. 

Chad Henne has stayed on the team as QB does that mean he's great and worth 4 mil each year?

I think a lot of people could argue that to be wrong.

Quote:The guy is a great person from the video clips I've seen he refused to haze the rookies and Marks told him he was too nice (he probably used different words) as an example.  The guy did get moved around a bit from DE to DT to DE, with different DCs but excuses are plenty and this is a results driven league.  The guy is average at stopping the run, and below average at getting pressure.  He had moments of praise and of failure, but he doesnt warrant the salary he's getting. 

Chad Henne has stayed on the team as QB does that mean he's great and worth 4 mil each year?

I think a lot of people could argue that to be wrong.
If you manage the team's cap properly like this team has done since 2004 then a player's salary is irrelevant unless it is truly exorbitant. Alualu's cap hit may be slightly greater than is warranted by his outright production but it doesn't factor into the decision to retain him on the team.

BTW, I'm looking at the tacks game right now and I haven't seen a bad play from Alualu yet. 

Hes not as bad as some have portrayed and does seem to have found a nitch in Gus' defense. But he still has never lived up to his draft spot.
No one is safe.

Quote:BTW, I'm looking at the tacks game right now and I haven't seen a bad play from Alualu yet. 
To add; just watched Alualu split a double team on third and 1. Telvin Smith made the tackle on an unblocked blitz but if he was late Alualu would have stopped the run.

And another "overpaid" player, Marcedes Lewis, made a block downfield that enabled Bortles to scramble for a first down. But I guess neither shows up on the stat sheet so neither counts.