Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Simple Yes or No....Is Bortles The Guy?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Simple Yes or No....Is Bortles The Guy?

Bortles needs to make more plays with his legs early in the game to back off the rush of the D. Then they will just try to contain instead of just coming down hill. It will also open up some passing lanes b/c if he gets out of the pocket to extend plays the CB will take attention off the WR to keep Bortles from running.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

As a person who is not a Jaguars fan, I voted yes.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2014, 10:42 AM by leopold332002.)

Quote:So you're a stat sissy? Bringing up Mack's numbers when he has 7 more games to play is showing what? Nobody said Mack was JJ Watt you riri; matter of fact you don't know what the hell he is now. Why are you even comparing a linebacker to a defensive end anyway? Funny you put up the Raiders record to down them like this Jaguars team is killing it just so you can try to prove a point which was stupid. And the one game we did win your Peyton Manning comparable was awful in it. But do you lil boy.
Well, well, well, sissy i guess your feelings hurt because i didn't slurp over your man crush kalil mack and you're mad about it. Get over it because i think he's overrated and unlike you i watched him play in many of his games playing for the Oakland Raiders this year. He don't stand out in the game at all except for occasionally stopping the run and guess who done that in his rookie year? Derrick Freakin Harvey. Hell he isn't even von miller in his rookie year and although he's a linebacker by position but plays majority of his time at the defensive line. To me he's have just much of a chance to be <b>Vernon Gholston </b>than Clay Matthews base on what i have seen from him and unlike Blake he played from day one. The reason why i brought the record into play is because for a team full of veterans players with Kalil Mack they're the worst team in football and its not even close. Atleast in our case we have a roster full of rookies, second year players and undrafted free agents with alot of injuries on both sides of ball if you truly pay any attention to this team. Yes Blake Bortles was awful in our one win but go back and watch all of our games he played in this year and in every game Blake bortles has shown moments of making great plays homie. Unlike Blake, Kalil Mack has been nothing but being ordinary but let you tell it he's going to be the next Lawrence Taylor. lol.  So as far as me being a little boy son i'm a grown *ss man and once you learn how to act like one instead of getting caught up in your feelings maybe we can have a adult conversation one day. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:The question was simple, in no way was the replies expected to be so.  Good responses so far though.

I agree its hard to 'know' but polling gives the sentiment at this point in time.  I think it'll be interesting to look back after the season at what the expectations were.  Time mends a lot so the current perspective is important I think.

I think the point he's making though is that forcing only a yes or no, when by far the most reasonable response is more nuanced, doesn't really tell you much about sentiment. 

The only thing it really tells you is that given neither yes or no are reasonable answers, do you prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt or not.

For example, imagine the poll was structured like so:

How certain are you that Blake will be a franchise quarterback for the Jaguars?
  • 100%
  • 80%
  • 60%
  • 40%
  • 20%
  • 0%
How many people do you imagine would select 100% or 0% at this point?  I'm going to say almost none.

Quote:I think the point he's making though is that forcing only a yes or no, when by far the most reasonable response is more nuanced, doesn't really tell you much about sentiment.

The only thing it really tells you is that given neither yes or no are reasonable answers, do you prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt or not.

• 100%
  • 80%
  • 60%
  • 40%
  • 20%
  • 0%

How many people do you imagine would select 100% or 0% at this point? I'm going to say almost none.

No.

Quote:No.

Okay.  Good job proving most Jaguars fans aren't ready to declare him a sure fire bust in year one.  Riveting.

Quote:I think the point he's making though is that forcing only a yes or no, when by far the most reasonable response is more nuanced, doesn't really tell you much about sentiment. 

• 100%
  • 80%
  • 60%
  • 40%
  • 20%
  • 0%
How many people do you imagine would select 100% or 0% at this point?  I'm going to say almost none.
You should make that poll.  I can't vote on this one because I'm not sure.  I'm about 75% he is the guy

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

He is the guy... yes.  Of course injury has derailed many a career, God forbid.

Without my commentary becoming a digestion on what it is to be "real/true fan" I think anyone who has voted no, could not of been following the team very long or in depth. This debate really started in week four of the 2003 season. Frustration with Bortles starts with watching this team through the end of the Brunell Era, Drafting Leftwich. We heard the same rhetoric on development about Leftwich and restarting a franchise. Much confidence in Del Rio after finishing well at the end of 03. The Jaguars climbed a latter from awful to just above mediocre and then after the divisional round loss in New England that era vanished quickly. We had to hear the same thing again about rebuilding and being patient, and the Jags got back to competitive and then Blaine happened and it was a disaster and we had to be patient all over again. Don't get me wrong, there was not money who didn't think Gabbert was a great pick, and then it never came together. Here we are at square one again and we are tired of of being in the bottom half of the league. Tired of empty post-game speeches about process and development. Even if Coach Bradley s words hold weight, the perception is a tired one. I think we see a fan base that is exhausted of being told to hold out hope. Patience isnt easy. In fact it's a painful process and it's hard to watch teams like the Colts, Steelers, Ravens, Seahawks get boosted in the first few years of a rebuild by QB play. In actuality that is maybe the most frustrating, is seeing other teams find seemingly instant success while being a bottom feeder that looses by 20 week after week. I think the Jaguars have a large portion of fans who are well educated in football savvy, and that creates a sense of impatience. Nobody wants to repeat history and have to rebuild in a few years with another coach/gm/qb  attempting to fill our heads with nonsense about waiting and developing. Unfortunately we can't put Bortles into a microwave. He was always going to be a crock pot kind of player since day one. (I'm really proud of this analogy by the way, someone praise me for it.) Unfortunately for you, the impatient fan, is you are going to have to wait again. The last six games will mean everything and though it's been said over and over again, we have to watch and be encourage by Bortles leadership and confidence. We have already seen his ability to march down the field the way the elite QB's do, but then comes that play where you have no idea why he threw this pass or that pass.. or Why Lee or Hurns went the other way. Some of those do have everything to do with inexperience. I think as a fan base, we all know the answers, it really comes down to how much more patience we can really take. I have a positive vibe about his future, with a cautious mindset. Yes, he could be a bust, he might never grow out of the player that throws three int's a game, he might grow out if it. This is yet another year for learning and [atience but the wins sure as anything would be great. 

I've never had anything worth eating from a microwave.  

Yes.

So many good QBs started out throwing way too many picks. I'm not really worried about that. The way Bortles has responded in just the last two weeks has shown me he can adapt his game to new challenges -- yeah we didn't win either one, but he definitely cleaned his game and decision making up some once the INTs became a real problem. Was more willing to throw an incompletion than force a pass when the coverage was good, etc. Right away that tells me he's not Rex Grossman. But also, he still took shots down the field; just more educated ones. That shows me he's also not Blaine Gabbert, who was a [BLEEP] anytime defenses started to rustle his jimmies.

I think it's a rare find that we got both a pocket passer AND a scrambler, usually you have to choose one or the other. Big enough to throw while being hit, quick enough to escape, and fantastic pocket presence to know when and when not to use his mobility as well -- that's something most rookies don't have. Instead of focusing on all his mistakes, which literally any young QB outside of Andrew Luck was going to frustrate us with, focus on what he has that we weren't going to easily find anywhere else. The mistakes will decrease, but his upside is always gonna be there, it's on him and the coaches to bring that out of him but the upside is where I feel we've struck gold, despite being 1-9 and turning the football over so much early on.

It's simply not likely that Bortles will be THIS mistake prone next year. He went through the same thing in college, in his junior year he was a rising backup with questionable decision making who has not played football as long as most and was really behind in his fundamentals. He took it upon himself to carry that team and learn 6 years worth of footwork training in 2 years, just the jump from his junior year to his senior year to now (where the footwork/pocket passing has improved even further) indicates a steady learning curve. His resiliency and ability to learn quickly and adjust his game is why we took him third, people.

I'm not saying the guy is gonna be Aaron Rodgers.. But when you look at how much he's learned about passing in the pocket since his college days where a bad offensive line had him running around all over the backfield -- you look at his arm strength, size, impressive elusiveness, and that rare ability to still be accurate when forced to throw off balance -- you look at his maturity, quickness to blame himself, at the practice facility at 6 AM every day -- you look at his unwavering confidence and ability to stay positive and keep competing no matter how far behind we get... He has a lot of great traits that other prospects don't have. Be happy with that and trust that the kid will take the bad mistakes out of his game because a Bortles who throws 1-0 interceptions/fumbles per game instead of 2-3 is a physically gifted, dual threat QB, who converts 3rd downs with ease, is calm in high pressure situations, and doesn't hesitate to challenge defenses vertically. Sounds pretty great to me.

Attack of the long-winded Noobs!! 

J/K  :teehee:   

Quote:Attack of the long-winded Noobs!! 

J/K  :teehee:   

lol, At least he used paragraphs.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:I ask another question of those who read this:

At this point in the season, judging from their play so far, which rookie QB would you have chosen if it were up to you?

Bortles

Bridgewater

Carr

Or any other rookie QB from the last draft?

I like the way Carr plays a lot but I think Bortles' size makes him a better prospect. I like having a guy who is difficult to sack, can get throws over the linemen when the pocket is tight, and can sometimes get away when defenders seemingly have him cornered. Also Bortles has been better on third down, though Oakland faced some rough defenses this season... Carr however has been better at not making terrible detrimental decisions.

I dislike Bridgewater so far. His upside seems so limited. Patterson's been blamed for his in effectiveness this season but I think another part of the problem is Teddy can't get him the ball downfield. Maybe he'll turn it around but he just seems like the kind of QB who has to play in a small box and against a team with good coverage, forget it, might as well run 50 times.

Quote:I like the way Carr plays a lot but I think Bortles' size makes him a better prospect. I like having a guy who is difficult to sack, can get throws over the linemen when the pocket is tight, and can sometimes get away when defenders seemingly have him cornered. Also Bortles has been better on third down, though Oakland faced some rough defenses this season... Carr however has been better at not making terrible detrimental decisions.

I dislike Bridgewater so far. His upside seems so limited. Patterson's been blamed for his in effectiveness this season but I think another part of the problem is Teddy can't get him the ball downfield. Maybe he'll turn it around but he just seems like the kind of QB who has to play in a small box and against a team with good coverage, forget it, might as well run 50 times.

I guess you mean Peterson, as in Adrian Peterson?

Quote:I guess you mean Peterson, as in Adrian Peterson?

No Cordarelle Patterson, the young WR who had high expectations but isn't performing well

Quote:No Cordarelle Patterson, the young WR who had high expectations but isn't performing well

Oh OK, I don't watch many Vikings games.

I wonder if Vikings fans are happy with TB so far?

I also wonder about TBs upside and worry about his slight frame.

Perhaps this is a question better suited in a future post, say Dec 2016....

I think so. Has been in kind of a rookie slump lately, not the same guy when he first came in. I think the bye week will slow things down for him and having Marcedes back.

No pain, no gain.

Quote:Based solely on their performance so far, I'd take Sammy Watkins, Khalil Mack, Jake Matthews, Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin, Brandon Crooks, John Brown, Kyle Fuller, C.J. Mosley, Anthony Barr, Zack Martin, Aaron Donald, Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, and O'Dell Beckham, Jr., over Bortles.

I'd certainly take Evans or Watkins and Bridgewater or Carr over Bortles and Lee at this point. At this point next year, I'd love for that statement to sound really stupid.