Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
People will get what they want next year

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2014, 12:08 PM by robh6287.)

Quote:That is the big question. I think a large contingent of fans are setting themselves up for heartbreak. Next year isn't going to be some wand waving magic season. Could it end up being special? Sure it could but the team as is today even if we hit on the next draft and free agency needs time to work and grow together.

The new CBA with heavy practice restrictions favors established teams that don't throw in on new coaches every few years. You can only practice so much and "coach them up" so much during an offseason.
Its about time somebody finally brought up the problem with the CBA

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Remember when everyone called Branch garbage?  Few years of experience and now there are posts saying that our line is garbage without him on the field.  Give these guys some time to develop.   
Lol this is so true. I remember just a few years ago Dallas had the worst offensive line and people were calling Tyron Smith a bust after his first year in the league. Three years and drafts later they have the best line in the league. It is what it is. Either you have the football knowledge and experience to know this is how it works or not. I don't expect many people who have really watched football for three year and don't pay much attention to the draft to understand this line of think you displayed. 

Quote:But what has he shown you for you to put faith in him? He's not a good game planner and not a good game manager. That much is pretty clear in his first 26 games.

Spot on. He hasn't shown anything. That's my issue. Like I've stated before, an experienced coach would have this team at atleast 3-4 wins at this point.

Bradley seriously looks lost, worse than Mularkey.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

At this point, I'm not particularly for or against Bradley, but given the number of rookies and second year players on the depth chart, I think he deserves more than just this year and since I don't really believe in firing head coaches mid-season, I'm comfortable giving him an entire 3 years to see what he can do.

As to what Gus has done to make me not want to fire him right now:

1) the turn around with our d-line, especially considering that we don't have a top tier DE,

2) taking a 5th round college QB and turning him into a legit starting NFL caliber RB in a year and a half,

3) getting the team to "fight" back in games. Dallas isn't a good examples (rookies aren't consistent, go figure), but over the last 6-7 weeks or so, I've seen more fight and grit out of this team than I have in a long time. Along with taking their "rookie lumps", I think learning how to fight back now will pay off in the future,

4) taking an absurdly young and even more absurdly inexperienced o-line and passing them off as a legit NFL o-line. Again, up until the Dallas game, Joeckel, Bowanko, and Linder were showing what some continuity and experience can lead to. I'm impressed with how quickly Bowanko and Linder have improved.

I don't think the rookies and 2nd year players are an "excuse" when judging Bradley. I also understand that you can't turn over an entire roster and replace them all with quality talent in only one or two offseason. So I expect to see much better play out of the LBs and DBs next season (when we get new ones), but I also expect those two areas to probably be ugly through September, especially if Caldwell brings in a bunch of rookies in those positions (and this basically includes Colvin).

I think most of the current rookies and 2nd year players will make significant improvements next year. But if I'm wrong and the team starts off 1-8, I won't lose sleep when Bradley gets fired. 

“It just shows what kind of team we are. We’re a tough team. We like contact. We’re very physical. We want the issue to be brought to us so we can show people we can stand up to it and overcome it. Seeing that’s just a symbol of our team and who we are.” - Jaguars DT Malik Jackson

Quote:We are killing ourselves with stupid penalties and turnovers and are better than a 1 win team, at this point. 
Dude, look at the W-L record. A one win team is what we are.

Quote:Can you really count the Browns as a big win?

Lol. No way.

The Browns looked like the most dysfunctional NFL team I have ever seen play on that day (and I was a fan of the 90's Bungles).

I don't care how people spin it. To me,, the Browns gave that game away to Jax. They were putrid.

Quote:Dude, look at the W-L record. A one win team is what we are.

Deep insight there.

In reply to the OP: what tangible evidence is there to support the idea that we will "get what we want" next year? Seriously. This team has shown no net improvement. What if this past month and a half was the best stretch the defense has all year? And we only got one win out of it vs 4 last year.

Now the defense cant tackle again, o-line issues are back...

Quote:I'm not placing any bets on 2015.  I think that is a myth.  We have not seen anything this year to indicate next year is going to be a watershed moment for our team.

We are a bottom 10 team and unlike the teams in the bottom with us, we are inexperienced.  Frankly I am not expecting much out of this team.  I think everything is subpar and I do not like what the coaches are doing.  Will more talent and experience help?  That remains to be seen.  And considering I don't sit in the front office or the coaching rooms, I'll have to wait and see.
so to sum this post up, "we are a young team, I don't know anything about the future"

All I need is Jaguars football and my dogs

Quote:In reply to the OP: what tangible evidence is there to support the idea that we will "get what we want" next year? Seriously. This team has shown no net improvement. What if this past month and a half was the best stretch the defense has all year? And we only got one win out of it vs 4 last year.

Now the defense cant tackle again, o-line issues are back...

When you have a lack of depth and you get injuries, this is what happens.  It will come.  Give it time.

Quote:So you can't have an opinion of your own? What do YOU think Bradley has done to warrant his job? Mularkey sure didn't last very long and people were ok with firing him.

Khan believes in him? That might be worse. Since Khan has been here this team has been terrible and his EPL team has been the worst in the league. 

I'm going to save this post! Classic!

You act like it matters what you think. I bet your "friends" love to keep hearing it.

And now, since you have to spread such leaned wisdom, you throw in the owner as well.

I kind of look forward to coming on here after a bad loss. All the junior GMs, junior HCs, OCs, and now a junior owner!

Keep 'em coming. 

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Nowhere has anyone from the Jaguars front office said it's a plan to make us a playoff contender in 2015. Nowhere! This is a mantra dreamt up by message board posters who erroneously think every overhaul of a team's players is a 3 season recipe.

I would like to hear from Gus or Dave what they expect in year 2, then year 3, then year 4. Anyone with any managerial skills knows the boss wants timelines and goals established at the onset of a new plan. But they won't commit such benchmarks because that ties them down to "doing your job!"

Regards........................the Chiefjag

Quote:Nowhere has anyone from the Jaguars front office said it's a plan to make us a playoff contender in 2015. Nowhere! This is a mantra dreamt up by message board posters who erroneously think every overhaul of a team's players is a 3 season recipe.

I would like to hear from Gus or Dave what they expect in year 2, then year 3, then year 4. Anyone with any managerial skills knows the boss wants timelines and goals established at the onset of a new plan. But they won't commit such benchmarks because that ties them down to "doing your job!"

Regards........................the Chiefjag

No one in sports will commit to specific benchmarks (no one with any sense at least), because unlike "normal" business, sports has a tremendous amount of good/bad fortune, i.e., luck, involved.

I suspect Khan has certain expectations in his head, but I sure don't expect him to share them with us, except in the most general of terms.

Good point about the "2015 is the year" silliness. Typical message board stuff - create a "fact' and then go on and on about that fact. Pretty soon people act as if they are talking about reality. 

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Oh I know they won't commit to benchmarks, it's not in their best interest.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

This off season will be very interesting for the Jags. This free agency class could end up being the best in a very long time. Either Demaryius Thomas or Julius Thomas will end up being a free agent (can't sign both), Randall Cobb will probably be a free agent, JPP, Justin Houston, and more will be available. Just signing one of those guys would be huge for our team. With an off season for our half dozen or so rookie starters to develop more and with more talent acquisition in the draft, the team should make a big leap. Could the team blow it and not take the next leap? Sure, but right now we have to wait and have a little faith.

Probably will end up with 5 wins next year, with people saying 2016 is the year. 

Quote:lol Lets be positive about 1-9!

Everyone deserves a medal like in grade school!

What is your official IQ exactly? I wouldnt mind if you jump off a bridge onto concrete.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Quote:No one in sports will commit to specific benchmarks (no one with any sense at least), because unlike "normal" business, sports has a tremendous amount of good/bad fortune, i.e., luck, involved.

I suspect Khan has certain expectations in his head, but I sure don't expect him to share them with us, except in the most general of terms.

Good point about the "2015 is the year" silliness. Typical message board stuff - create a "fact' and then go on and on about that fact. Pretty soon people act as if they are talking about reality. 
Mostly Prisco has been preaching this since week 3 or so.  I somewhat agree, I think regardless of playoff run or not, the implication is that we will be a contender in the division, possibly be ''in the hunt'' for a wildcard spot, or at the very least 8-8 or something like that.  we have the QB, we have the WR corp, we have a good TE in Lewis (despite what a lot of you think, I believe he is good) and Harbor is looking like he is on his way to being a good red zone big body catch in traffic kind of guy.  IMO, you get a solid o-line, and i mean solid, like 2 notches below cowboys,  you get a lock down pass coverage LB, you keep poz for run downs, you get a solid FS to give cyp freedom to sniff out the plays, and you get quality DBs, and we are a better team.  my logic behind this is, blake is supposidly the guy, i think a lot of us see that, denard can obviously be a CJ2K/featherweight bruiser, Toby, if he has a good o-line, can be a 3rd and short rb, and arob, lee, hurns, shorts when adjusted to proper places, for example as i strongly believe should be, shorts in the slot, and let hte other 3 battle for number one, or, finally get our andre johnson, dez bryant, calvin johnson, whatever you wanna call it, wr, big flippin basketball player size with break away speed, sure hands, and ability to be physical for the jump ball and not be worried about taking a hit, and with an o-line that doesnt force blake to extend plays as much, because c'mon, his INTs are contributed by having to play faster, you just might have a wildcard/play off contender in what is the weakest and biggest joke division in football. the only team that stands in our wayr ight now is the colts, the titans are on a permanent plateau of terribleness, and the texans are a coin toss at a QB grab away, and even if they do end up with a franchise qb, he will be a rookie next year, and most likely will not take them to the next level.  the colts are the only team we have to beat, and i dont think they have the quality depth to survive injuries if it were to happen, they are an andrew luck away from being the #1 pick team they were a few years ago.  so in conclusion, we are a STRONG draft and FA away from being contenders IN OUR DIVISION, not neccissarily the whole NFL, which as anyone knows, you (possibly) sweep all your division games, maybe 50/50 with the colts, and you are pretty much solid as long as you squeak out another 3 or 4 wins against non division opponents, it doesnt mean you go to the super bowl, it means you go to a wild card and lose the wildcard most likely.

All I need is Jaguars football and my dogs

Quote:8 wins and in the playoff race till the last couple games. 

lol 8 wins, the Jags couldn't get 8 wins next year if all they played was the Bucs, Raiders and tacks over and over for ALL 16 games.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Probably will end up with 5 wins next year, with people saying 2016 is the year. 

Well, 5 wins would actually be an improvement over what I have seen out there lately.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.