Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Perry Fewell hired as DB coach

Quote:Why do people think DeCamillis was a Tom Coughlin hire? Just curious.

I don't see a single tie to him looking at where he's coached. Are we just assuming it was Tom because he's known as one of the best in the game at his job or what? lol. Marrone has been around a while and has a pretty solid tie to some guys too...

Joe D is likely here because we had a need, he's a top tier coach at the spot so we reached out, and he has a house here so would make sense.

So far it's just Fewell and the OL coach with ties to TC, and both of them are highly regarded. I don't think Marrone is going to be against interviewing them/hiring them.

The concern isn't the coaches individually or their ties to Coughlin.

The concern is that with two of the three announced today being so related to Coughlin that perhaps Marrone was being more influenced in those hires than he wanted to be. 

I love the Coughlin hire to VP of football ops.  I think we were fortunate to land him that way. 

But  -- I also remember his tendency to become a dictator and his stubbornness.  

I was only expressing concern that those sides of his personality could potentially derail what appears to be a desirable arrangement between Coughlin and Marrone.  

Coughlin didn't always make good decisions for the Jags during his tenure and there is nothing wrong with hoping we don't see that again. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The concern isn't the coaches individually or their ties to Coughlin.

The concern is that with two of the three announced today being so related to Coughlin that perhaps Marrone was being more influenced in those hires than he wanted to be. 

I love the Coughlin hire to VP of football ops.  I think we were fortunate to land him that way. 

But  -- I also remember his tendency to become a dictator and his stubbornness.  

I was only expressing concern that those sides of his personality could potentially derail what appears to be a desirable arrangement between Coughlin and Marrone.  

Coughlin didn't always make good decisions for the Jags during his tenure and there is nothing wrong with hoping we don't see that again. 
This.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:My concern has zero to do with Gus Bradley.

It has everything to do with never seeing things done this way before.

I have seen GMs and owners insist that head coaches fire some assistants as a condition for continued employment, and that rarely ends well.

But I can't recall any instances where an owner or a GM would hire assistant coaches for a newly hired head coach. Usually the head coach chooses his assistants.

We just got out of a situation where we let a clown hire more clowns. The coaches being hired now are well regarded and have pedigree. Im completely fine with it. Marrone him self is ok with it. Remember they all said it would be a team effort. Relax and enjoy the fact that our players won't be coached by bafoons anymore.

Quote:We just got out of a situation where we let a clown hire more clowns. The coaches being hired now are well regarded and have pedigree. Im completely fine with it. Marrone him self is ok with it. Remember they all said it would be a team effort. Relax and enjoy the fact that our players won't be coached by bafoons anymore.
Agreed on the quality of the guys being hired.  So far I like the guys that have been brought in.

As long as Marrone is legitimately okay with this, then I'm good.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2017, 09:53 PM by C-Dub93.)

Again though, we've brought in 2, TWO, guys that have ties to Coughlin.

The DC, likely the OC, the ST Coordinator, and I'm sure others have no ties to TC.

Quote:Again though, we've brought in 2, TWO, guys that have ties to Coughlin.

The DC, likely the OC, the ST Coordinator, and I'm sure others have no ties to TC.

It's all in one's perspective. 

You could also say "Coughlin's been in the building for three days and has already conned Marrone into hiring two of his cronies as assistants."  

^ Not how I'm looking at it but it's not that different than you saying "it's only TWO guys."  

They've only announced four coaches under Marrone, right?  Two is 50% of that.  

When you are the HC, you better hope you get along with the dudes around you or that ship is going to sink. Marrone better be signing off on these signings or this team is headed to another mediocre season. 

Quote:While he was the Giants DC his defenses averaged 40 takeaways a year.

160 takeaways in 4 years as a DC there, good enough for 3 most in the NFL during that stretch.
holy crap great hire we need turnovers

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:Like the hires. But as others have said, it seems like these hires are coming from Coughlin. Which isn't a bad thing. But if a coach doesn't want micromanagement this could cause tension with Marrone. Of course if all this gets us to the playoffs this year I don't think Marrone will care.
Marrone is a Tom Coughlin guy, him and tom and 1-1 on agreements, now Walsh on the other hand seem like he is just gonna be the guy doing what he is told to keep his job.

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

We should have named him DC instead.

Quote:We just got out of a situation where we let a clown hire more clowns. The coaches being hired now are well regarded and have pedigree. Im completely fine with it. Marrone him self is ok with it. Remember they all said it would be a team effort. Relax and enjoy the fact that our players won't be coached by bafoons anymore.

We've gone from gus and his clown show to building a gen-u-ine NFL qualified coaching staff. My impression of Marrone is he's not the type to get "steamrolled" by anybody. 

Can't wait to see what the "Three Amigos" do next with the roster (wake up bbint) , the draft and free agency.

The Jags are going to finally live up to their potential in 2017.  :thumbsup:

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

I wouldn't care if Marrone was on board with these hires or not.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:My favorite work of Penny's was with Jane's Addiction. Never was as big a fan of his other works.

This was totally going to be my joke.

Quote:We've gone from gus and his clown show to building a gen-u-ine NFL qualified coaching staff. My impression of Marrone is he's not the type to get "steamrolled" by anybody.

Can't wait to see what the "Three Amigos" do next with the roster (wake up bbint) , the draft and free agency.

The Jags are going to finally live up to their potential in 2017. :thumbsup:

I agree, were finally going to see what quality coaching can do for our team.

Quote:D6 called this a few days ago! Smile

D6 must be that unidentified consulting firm that the Jags paid $100,000 to identify available coaches.

This is a terrific move havin been made
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Quote:D6 must be that unidentified consulting firm that the Jags paid $100,000 to identify available coaches.

They were actually identified. 

But yeah - that just might be D6's moonlighting gig.  Pres/CEO of Kornferry International. 

Wow that is a big consulting firm.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:But Coughlin isn't in charge........

I will say this, I'm all for Coughlin having final say but I would not think that would be a great thing that he's influencing the coaching hires. Anyone agree that Marrone should be fully responsible for his coaching staff?
The HC should hire his own staff

Quote:The HC should hire his own staff

Coughlin is well connected and likely gives Marrone access to guys that he would want but has zero ties with them. I see this all as a good thing.