Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Grade the Toby Gerhart debut
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

The Toby Gerhart Debut

He looked fat and slow, like a bigger whiter version of 2013 MJD.  Not happy.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He looked fat and slow, like a bigger whiter version of 2013 MJD.  Not happy.

HAHA. Glad someone said it.

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2014, 09:59 AM by JaguarsAreBeasting.)

Quote:He looked fat and slow, like a bigger whiter version of 2013 MJD.  Not happy.

Last 2 years of MJD in Jax, still greater than Gerhart.  Injured MJD on sideline still greater than Gerhart. 

Quote:Mike Alstott

Mike Alstott was actually good.

Quote:How about this: Only compare Robinson's three carries and Gerhart's first three carries.

I don't think it makes the comparison any more meaningful, but:

Robinson, 3 carries for 8 yards.

Gerhart, first 3 carries for 12 yards.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

For what it's worth, Walter Football's 2015 Mock Draft has us picking Gurley at #10.   I'll take it !!

Quote:For what it's worth, Walter Football's 2015 Mock Draft has us picking Gurley at #10.   I'll take it !!

Curious to see what the O-line free agency looks like next year before even looking at any mock drafts.

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2014, 10:31 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Yes, because Robinson's 2.7 per is SO much better.

THE OL stinks. Gerhart got almost all of his yards after initial contact. I gave him a C, but it really should be an "incomplete" because no RB can be graded until the blocking is fixed.

The run blocking has stunk for 17 games and counting now....(plus 2 preseasons)

Quote:For what it's worth, Walter Football's 2015 Mock Draft has us picking Gurley at #10.   I'll take it !!
Hopefully we'll have the #1 pick, trade down some slots, draft Gurley and pick up additional picks. 

We will have the next Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Herschel Walker, Eric Dickerson combined into one.

I don't think he did too badly and flashed on a couple of runs but he was stopped in the backfield way too many times. This was probably down to the o-line. I remember at least 2 times Barwin or someone else came past the right side of our line and hit him as the ball was handed off, that's not even giving the guy a chance. Gave him a C, I think anything less would be harsh.

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2014, 10:46 AM by badger.)

he doesn't really fit our scheme well. ah well, is what it is

he really had no chance on most runs

If Toby gets an F, then what do you give the OL?

I give him a C.

When the OL gave him room to run, he was very effective. When he makes his cut and runs straight...his power really showed as he pushed the pile forward. Often though, he got caught before he can hit the non-existent hole. In those instances, his power too was negated.

No drafting an irrelevant position like runningback with a top 10 pick. That is stupid. We have more important needs like the o-line, safety, or MLB (Poz will be 30 this year). You can find quality backs in the 3rd or 4th round. Runningback just isn't important any more. I'd also love a playmaking tight end because Lewis will be 31 this year I think and his hands aren't all that great to begin with.

As far as Gerhart is concerned, he looks slow. He may have run a 4.5 at the combine some years ago but he plays 4.6. He reminds me of a back that has hit 30 and lost his ability to hit the hole with burst. I saw it in the preseason and my fears were realized yesterday. Hopefully he gets better.

Quote:he doesn't really fit our scheme well. ah well, is what it is

he really had no chance on most runs

What running back fits the scheme that involves the OL getting pushed backwards?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:What running back fits the scheme that involves the OL getting pushed backwards?
Barry Sanders

Quote:It would be nice if Fisch wasn't treating Gerhart like Jamaal Charles and running him on stretch plays all game long. I'll give him a C; between the blocking and the outside runs he was forced to run, he stood no chance. 
I do agree that Fisch is not helping with calling those stretch plays.  Gerhart is a between the Tackles runner. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Running style won't generate as much success on this team, and as a full time back? Get used to hearing abysmal numbers such as 1.9 ypc.

Back to the draft we go for a RB.
What good is drafting a RB when your oline can't block for them.  It's back to the draft for offensive line help in a major way

Quote:I disagree the Detroit Lions had the worst OLine and while the Jaguars OLine especially in run blocking could be compared to that Oline Barry Sanders in fact indeed did run successfully in spite of all the odds being against him.  That being said nobody thinks anyone on the Jaguars roster is capable of running as good as Barry Sanders, and nobody thinks any of them will get that good during this season if ever. 

I dont think Barry Sanders name should be associated with our running backs in any example.

Yes our run blocking was bad, but our running backs play was worse.  Other than two runs by Toby Gerhart that were for 9 yards, and one for 11 yards most of his runs were into traffic and not being aware of running to the outside and other poor choices...

Dont get me wrong the loss wasnt solely the running backs fault or M. Lewis's drops especially wide open on 4 & inches or Chad Hennes poor leadership and throws in the 2nd qtr or the DBs collapase after Jonathan Cyprien was injured & taken out of the game.  It was a team effort collapase.  The team doesnt know how to seal the win and finish a game.  They got out coached in the 2nd half, and out played from the top all the way down to the waterboy. 

The emotion of being so joyful at the half only to watch my favorite team collapase and allow 34 unanswered points was heartbreaking to say the least.   I expected a loss going into this game, so I'm not shocked nor do I feel that the sky is falling type of thing, but I am concerned about the team's confidence.  They have to believe in themselves and that they are that first half team and not the 2nd.
You must not have watched many Barry Sanders games.  There were games were he averaged less that 1 yard per carry.  Yes less than that.  It all starts up front is timeless

Quote:If Toby gets an F, then what do you give the OL?
F--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------