Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dead Zone news: Aaron rodgers supports Jags decision to keep Bortles on the bench

Quote:So Borles isn't ready, but Henne's injured. Play Bortles anyway.

Henne is sucking to high heaven, Bortles is out playing him. Stick with Chad, its in the plan.

That's fine and logical to you?

It's not completely different, its the reality of the situation dictating a change of plan.

Necessity trumps experience if Henne is hurt.  It's not that difficult to grasp.  Otherwise, Bortles isn't starting until he's ready to do so.  It doesn't matter how badly Henne is playing.

Fine and logical?  Yeah, it is.  Why?  Because the expectations this year aren't that the team suddenly become a playoff contender. 

It is completely different.  Reality is, Bortles will start when he's ready.  If Henne is injured, Bortles is the best option to replace him. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2014, 09:00 AM by Mr Sensible.)

Quote:Necessity trumps experience if Henne is hurt.  It's not that difficult to grasp.  Otherwise, Bortles isn't starting until he's ready to do so.  It doesn't matter how badly Henne is playing.

Fine and logical?  Yeah, it is.  Why?  Because the expectations this year aren't that the team suddenly become a playoff contender. 

It is completely different.  Reality is, Bortles will start when he's ready.  If Henne is injured, Bortles is the best option to replace him. 

Is it just because the coaches have said it emphatically, that you believe this so strongly?

You see literally no situation when Henne is playing that bad, that they say 'we can't play with this guy'? Think Gabbert last year. < 50% completions, 1:7 TD to INTs, 5.6 yards average through 3 games. In your opinion, they just let that continue all season? No way in heck any pro team accepts that level from its QB and expectations have nothing to do with it.

If expectations are that low and they are so adamant that Bortles wont play until ready why is he even the backup? If his career can be ruined coming in for a sucking Chad Henne before he is ready, his career can be ruined coming in for an injured Chad Henne before he is ready, right?

Or, maybe, just maybe, our coaches are indulging in a little hyperbole and they understand that plans made in May can be subject to changes in circumstance come September.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:Is it just because the coaches have said it emphatically, that you believe this so strongly?

You see literally no situation when Henne is playing that bad, that they say 'we can't play with this guy'? Think Gabbert last year. < 50% completions, 1:7 TD to INTs, 5.6 yards average through 3 games. In your opinion, they just let that continue all season? No way in heck any pro team accepts that level from its QB and expectations have nothing to do with it.

If expectations are that low and they are so adamant that Bortles wont play until ready why is he even the backup? If his career can be ruined coming in for a sucking Chad Henne before he is ready, his career can be ruined coming in for an injured Chad Henne before he is ready, right?

Or, maybe, just maybe, our coaches are indulging in a little hyperbole and they understand that plans made in May can be subject to changes in circumstance come September.

What part of what the head coach and GM have been saying is causing you such confusion here?  He'll start when he's ready.  I think that's pretty clear.

We haven't seen this GM or coach engaging in "a little hyperbole" in the past, and I doubt that's suddenly going to change here.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:What part of what the head coach and GM have been saying is causing you such confusion here?  He'll start when he's ready.  I think that's pretty clear.

We haven't seen this GM or coach engaging in "a little hyperbole" in the past, and I doubt that's suddenly going to change here.

So you think that a Blane Gabbert 2013 level of performance would be tolerated from Chad Henne all season?

You think this whole 'he wont start until he is ready' thing is so very vitally important to Bortles future success that they wont change course for any reason, none whatsoever, no matter what the situtation... Unless Henne is injured and then suddenly it all goes right out the window and he gets thrown to the lions regardless of his state of readiness?

In your mind, that's more likely than Gus Bradley giving an oversimplified answer to a question to the media?

I think the overall message the team is conveying is that they are going to take it slowly with Bortles, and under ideal circumstances, he won't play until 2015.

By taking the hardline now, the team is precluding a LOT of inane questioning about Bortles and when he is going to play, under what circumstances, etc.

By taking the hardline now, they are turning down the expectation for this year.

I think there are cirumstances under which Bortles will play this year, though the team's clear preference is to develop him slowly and not play him until 2015.

Not entirely sure why this remains a controversy.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:So you think that a Blane Gabbert 2013 level of performance would be tolerated from Chad Henne all season?

You think this whole 'he wont start until he is ready' thing is so very vitally important to Bortles future success that they wont change course for any reason, none whatsoever, no matter what the situtation... Unless Henne is injured and then suddenly it all goes right out the window and he gets thrown to the lions regardless of his state of readiness?

In your mind, that's more likely than Gus Bradley giving an oversimplified answer to a question to the media?

Yes.

Yes.

Gus Bradley is answering the question.  You're the one confused about the response. 

Quote:I think the overall message the team is conveying is that they are going to take it slowly with Bortles, and under ideal circumstances, he won't play until 2015.

By taking the hardline now, the team is precluding a LOT of inane questioning about Bortles and when he is going to play, under what circumstances, etc.

By taking the hardline now, they are turning down the expectation for this year.

I think there are cirumstances under which Bortles will play this year, though the team's clear preference is to develop him slowly and not play him until 2015.

Not entirely sure why this remains a controversy.

Because it's the dead zone.

Quote:Because it's the dead zone.
 Welp...T-Minus 29 days and counting until the dead zone is mercifully over!

Quote: Welp...T-Minus 29 days and counting until the dead zone is mercifully over!

It can't end quickly enough.

I support Aaron Rodgers supporting the Jaguars supporting Bortles.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I've also read that at this point right now,  stanzi would likely be the second string and that he has looked good.  (credited to being his second year in the system.) 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2014, 12:09 PM by Bullseye.)

Quote:I've also read that at this point right now,  stanzi would likely be the second string and that he has looked good.  (credited to being his second year in the system.) 
If the team really didn't want to play Bortles this year, putting Bortles 3rd string would tend to do it, though it would be interesting to see how far the team would go to ensure Bortles doesn't play this year. 

Suppose there is a stretch where Henne and Stanzi (assuming Stanzi remains 2nd team) were hurt.

If both Henne and Stanzi get hurt in a short period of time, would the team prefer to sign a street guy and play him over Bortles in the upcoming week or would they stick with a guy who knows the offense?

Quote:If the team really didn't want to play Bortles this year, putting Bortles 3rd string would tend to do it, though it would be interesting to see how far the team would go to ensure Bortles doesn't play this year. 

Suppose there is a stretch where Henne and Stanzi (assuming Stanzi remains 2nd team).

If both Henne and Stanzi get hurt in a short period of time, would the team prefer to sign a street guy and play him over Bortles in the upcoming week or would they stick with a guy who knows the offense?

I don't see it coming to that.  By the time the season starts, the depth chart is going to have Bortles backing up Henne. 

Quote:Is it just because the coaches have said it emphatically, that you believe this so strongly?

LOL!...

The clan that is desperately hoping for Bortles to start immediately are so damn desperate....

They will pry any angle open to just give them the glimmer of them getting their way, like petulant children. 

I agree by the time the season starts bortles will most likely be the backup.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Do we have Brett Favre in front of Bortles? 

I am all for sitting Bortles until he is ready... as long as Henne plays well.  If Henne sucks it up then they will have no choice but to play Bortles. 
If Henne sucks lol 

Quote:LOL!...

The clan that is desperately hoping for Bortles to start immediately are so damn desperate....

They will pry any angle open to just give them the glimmer of them getting their way, like petulant children. 

Oh hey look its Mr Troll.

Hush your lies troll.

Looks like your reading comprehension is at the same level of your ability to make up bizarre fantasies about Justin Blackmon definitely fixing his problems based on the fact that nobody can get hold of him.

Show me anywhere where I have said anything like that. I wont hold my breath because you're a troll who lies.

Quote:Yes.

Yes.

Gus Bradley is answering the question.  You're the one confused about the response. 

That would be beyond insanity.

That has no basis in logic.

If you believe word for word what an NFL coach says, you're naive.

Quote:That would be beyond insanity.

That has no basis in logic.

If you believe word for word what an NFL coach says, you're naive.

I have no reason NOT to believe that what the coach and GM are saying is anything but the truth. 

It's not insanity to think when they say Bortles will start when he's ready, they are not using Henne's performance as the benchmark for what will happen.  You think otherwise.  You're welcome to do so.  You'll be wrong, but that's fine.  I'm sure you're used to it. 

No basis in logic?  Maybe not in your world where fan sentiment somehow dictates roster decisions. 

Quote:Oh hey look its Mr Troll.

Hush your lies troll.

Looks like your reading comprehension is at the same level of your ability to make up bizarre fantasies about Justin Blackmon definitely fixing his problems based on the fact that nobody can get hold of him.

Show me anywhere where I have said anything like that. I wont hold my breath because you're a troll who lies.

You're smart enough not to use that verbage in your posts, but its clear through implication that you want Bortles starting and you want him starting NOW. 

Every post on the subject you make has a "yeah but" connotation to it when people try to tell you what the coaches and Caldwell have to say about the plan to bring Bortles along slowly.