Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
An update on Blackmon...and well, it doesn't sound promising

I thought the Gunter Brewer quote was one of the more telling portions of the article. Gives me hope.

Quote:“[Blackmon] just said, ‘I’m getting help,’ and he left it at that,” Brewer said. “Most folks [with addiction problems] don’t go the first stage of admitting they need help. People want to reach out and help Justin, but I think he feels like he’s let them down. He’s trying to find his way.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">“I know he’s getting professional help, but I didn’t get into it with him. I’m not sure if it’s for alcohol or something else. The first step is admitting you need it, then going to get it.”

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2014, 10:43 AM by Jagwired'd.)

Quote:I thought the Gunter Brewer quote was one of the more telling portions of the article. Gives me hope.
Not to pat myself on the back, but that sounds similar to the reason I stated he might've went dark on everyone.

Quote:<div>
Blackmon did that the last time he "got clean"  and everyone thought he turned over a new leaf. It could be possible that he realizes his words are empty at this point and only his actions can make a believer out of the staff.

In the unlikley event that he really does have the mentality, then he's already one step closer to beating his addiction.

</div>

EDIT: No, actually, I AM patting myself on the back. Let me have this one, boys  :teehee:

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:nah....they're just trying to find some way, ANY way, to get Lewis to start actually earning something close to that ridiculous paycheck of his. :whistling:

(crickets)

One of my theories was that he wasn't truly an alcoholic but rather doing what most college aged kids do most, drink in excess. He got caught and into trouble but since he wasn't an alcoholic felt as if there were no reason to seek out professional help. Basically just being a boneheaded kid. Now that he sees the team is moving forward and the window of opportunity closing he got off his butt to start doing the things he needs to do in order to get reinstated.

Quote:Poor, adorable, naive people.

Naivety for as far as the eye can see.

Yep

Quote:The story is a mixed bag. It's easy to draw a negative conclusion from Blackmon's self-imposed exile but it can also be interpreted as the actions of a person who simply wants his privacy to deal with his problems.  I suspect he's highly embarrassed by the whole ordeal.  He comes from a very solid family and he's in the same area as them.  I'm sure they are providing all the support he wants. My guess is he doesn't want to present himself to the public until he's fully recovered.  Even then, I don't expect him to reveal many details about his 'away' time.  I also suspect that once he's cleared this hurdle and returns to play, he'll be a man on fire.
He obviously wants privacy; whether or not he's dealing with his problems is unknown.  I think you're right, if he returns he'll be on fire. I think it's equally likely that his problems will consume him and he'll never play again.  Either way, he's at a fork and there's no middle road. 

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:He obviously wants privacy; whether or not he's dealing with his problems is unknown. I think you're right, if he returns he'll be on fire. I think it's equally likely that his problems will consume him and he'll never play again. Either way, he's at a fork and there's no middle road.

Had he come from a broken home and a bad background, I would concur. But given that he was raised soundly with a record of accomplishment, and family currently surrounding him, I think the odds are much greater he recovers.

Quote:Why do you assume that Smith is out the other end and not still wandering in the dark?

I don't. I think he has proven how difficult it is to escape his addiction.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:The story is a mixed bag. It's easy to draw a negative conclusion from Blackmon's self-imposed exile but it can also be interpreted as the actions of a person who simply wants his privacy to deal with his problems. 

This is how I tend to see it as well. 

If he comes back in the NFL I want to see him in a Jags uniform.  I don't know if he will ever be that player we saw glimpses of.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Given my Optimistic outlook when it comes to our Jaguars, I feel that Bradley is preparing for B14CKMON'S return sometime this season. It'll be B14CKMON'S responsibility to do the right thing but He's entrusting M. Lewis to be that much needed mentor. A person to talk to other than Bradley when/if times are trying...

Time Will Tell...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Given my Optimistic outlook when it comes to our Jaguars, I feel that Bradley is preparing for B14CKMON'S return sometime this season. It'll be B14CKMON'S responsibility to do the right thing but He's entrusting M. Lewis to be that much needed mentor. A person to talk to other than Bradley when/if times are trying...

Time Will Tell...

NH3...

Fresh start - ditch the 14, since his pro career hasn't been positive with it. 

Go back to the 81!!!

Well duh people hes getting rehab.. Hes getting help which is a good sign..

Hes showing Goodell that he can turn it around..

Which if he does all you haters will eat your words..

Quote:That's the exact same thing I took away from the piece. He's into rehab and prefers his privacy while his is away from the team. I'm sure he feels deeply ashamed of the place that he's in. Sometimes when you're in a place like that, people reaching out to you can actually be a negative, since it's a constant reminder of the ones you let down. I think that by 2015 he will again suit up for the Jaguars and hopefully will have turned the corner on his recovery for good.

I'd like to think that B14CKMON is done w/his rehab (suspended since late Oct./8 mos.) while getting in shape awaiting the call from the Commish...

That's My Thought on what I Be Thinking...

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2014, 11:59 AM by Jagsngamecocks.)

Well, I guess keep a spot for him as long as it remains viable and in the best interest of the franchise.  I hope he comes through, not just for us...but himself as well.

Now a bad thing about this, is if he does make it back, you are always wondering if the shoe is going to drop again.  The key in employing someone with addiction issues is to ensure that you can perform without them, so that when they are there, it is a bonus.  JMTC.  I think the Jags took great strides in upgrading their WR corps this past draft.  We should be fine without him, and it won't be devastating if he does not make it back, or if he does and drops again.

<FONT size=4>Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?</FONT>

Quote:Well duh people hes getting rehab.. Hes getting help which is a good sign..

Hes showing Goodell that he can turn it around..

Which if he does all you haters will eat your words..

Word. :thumbsup: 

I'm not letting the haters back on the Blackmon bandwagon. 

Quote:Fresh start - ditch the 14, since his pro career hasn't been positive with it. 

Go back to the 81!!!

Have you ever seen that image of an pelican attempting to swollow a frog but the frog has both hands wrapped around the pelican's throat constricting it w/the caption of "NEVER GIVE UP"?

I won't give up on B14CKMON until he gives up on himself...

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2014, 12:21 PM by wrong_box.)

Quote:I think it's more likely that he's given up than it is he's so focused on his predicament that he can't give his friends and co-workers his new cellphone number. 
Having had a family member and a couple of their friends battle addiction problems, I can say that separating yourself from contact with the people you drank/smoked with is crucial to your recovery...It's not wise to hang out with or associate with the people that still engage in the addiction...Changing his number may be just a way to cut ties with his drinking/smoking buddies...New phone number, new friends, new life...I can't say that is what he's doing because only HE knows for certain, but it would really be a wise move to change his number and only give it to certain people...It's hard enough to battle addiction without having your old drinking buddies calling you up in the middle of the night all drunk...

I understand we are talking about a team mate and not people he drank with, but the point remains the same...Some people want to be shut off from the world while battling their personal demons

Quote:Fresh start - ditch the 14, since his pro career hasn't been positive with it.

Go back to the 81!!!

Would love to see him in the 81

Quote:Cute
Just messing with ya. Smile

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.