Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
No matter what, Jax is going to get a ton of publicity...

Quote:Just curious, what would you be OK with?  In terms of drafting Bortles.  What selection would make you think it's OK value?

#11 - just like Roethlisberger.    Oh, we took Reggie Williams that year Wallbash  Wallbash

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 09:25 PM by MadCard05.)

Hey guys, Louisville Cardinals fan here, hence the user name, and Carolina Panthers fan, so I have no dog against you guys, but I'm really interested in what the Jags are going to do at pick number 3. I'm like a lot of you guys, and I think the Jags are going to take a QB at #3, and could very well have their choice of the 3 top rated QBs in this draft in Bortles, Manziel, and Teddy. I realize I'm biased, but let me break down for you why I think Teddy is a better fit than the other two guys by examning them and breaking them down, then feel free to do the same with Teddy since I have red tinted glasses on. I had this conversation with a Jags fan at a bar the other night watching Louisville basketball, so I thought I'd come and see if you guys were all as cool as him.  :thumbsup:

Johnny Manziel: First of all let me say that Johnny Football was one of the most entertaining players to watch in all of college football the last 2 years. On the field the guy just gets it. He senses pressure, he has amazing running ability, and boy can he pass. I do want to look at that in a second, but lets talk about his deficiencies. First of all Johnny is short for an NFL QB at 6'1". How many QBs have been great in the last 4 decades that were 6'1" or below? Not many. In fact, sans the guys we have playing today, there hasn't been a guy that tall or under be a HoF post 1970, while there have been 2 MVPs. The question is, is Johnny going to buck the trend and be the next Russel Wilson or Drew Brees? What is the percentage chance he has of doing that? Very, very low.

Then you have to question the guys character off of the field. As a Panthers fan I completely understand giving this guy a break, but as fellow fans of small market teams, you guys might also know that players on our teams aren't always what they're made out to be. Cam really isn't the boogey man they made him during the draft, and certainly not the guy they made him out to be post-whining press conference his rookie year. Slowly he's gotten a better reputation from the media, or may be they've just completely forgotten about him because he plays for Carolina, who knows? Back to the point though, I don't see what I saw in Cam in Johnny. I don't know that he'll have character issues in the NFL, but if I'm picking between these 3 guys I'm not betting he's going to be Drew Brees and a choir boy.

Before we get to direct Teddy comparisons lets get down to who he plays for, Sumlin. Sumlin made Bradford look good as the OC of the Sooners, and I think Bradford has turned out alright, but for a guy that couldn't miss, he's certainly not been the QB the Rams probably thought they were drafting. He's more of Jake Delhomme, which wins you football games if you play run first with a tough defense. Then at Houston he made Case Keenum look good, anyone want him? Even made a guy named David Piland look pretty good for college. This is versus Shawn Watson, the OC for Louisville with Teddy. You have to judge by Watson because Strong is a defensive coach. Watson at Nebraska had Sam Keller who was very average with Watson, Joe Ganz who looked above average, and Zac Lee who was very much below average. Teddy was the only QB that Watson has coached that has ever been lights out. So with Manziel you're taking a chance that he is the product of Sumlin's offense. If you put Teddy in that offense what does he do? If you put Manziel is Louisville's much slower offense what does he do?

Now for more direct comparison; Teddy has the stronger arm. Manziel is the better runner, but that's not to say Teddy is slow. Teddy doesn't have Johnny's speed but he scrambles behind the line of scrimmage to get throw down field. I'd say they're both very good at reading defenses, but I've seen few college QBs move safeties as well as Teddy does with his eyes, it's very impressive. Teddy's throwing mechanics are NFL level, and Johnny's are a bit erratic, but he gets the ball there, this could mean accuracy issues in the NFL with the faster speed and defenses keying on throwing motions. Manziel had better talent around him than Teddy, I don't think anyone will debate that.

Blake Bortles: Okay Blake is a bit easier, being a Louisville fan I got to see a lot of UCF, including there incredible win against the Cards live, which wasn't so fun. Before we get started, Teddy outplayed Bortles in that game, and both QBs led their teams on "game winning drives." Bortles is has that "sexy NFL size" thing going on for him, where he's 6'4" and 225+ pounds. His mobility is good, but I'd say he's slightly less of a running threat than Teddy speed wise. He doesn't have a huge arm, but I'll take accuracy over arm strength all day. His mechanics are okay, but his release is a little long, which could be bad for the NFL, and it is believe he is going to have to sit before being thrown to the wolves. My bigger issues with him are that he isn't great under pressure, and his offense at UCF ran a ton of bubble screens. As an opposing fan it was hard to watch every single play go read-option/play action -> screen pass. Now he did throw down the field a little bit, and he was good doing it, but it's hard to judge just how good of a QB he is in that offense. If this was pre-rookie draft cap era I'd say Bortles goes in the 2nd round just because he's not Day 1 ready and you don't know how good he makes his reads compared to other guys that have played in more down the field passing type offenses.

I'll be happy to answer any of your questions on Teddy if you want to throw them in here. I've only missed watching him play due to sickness, so throw them at me.  :thanks:

Quote:Getting Luke Joeckel back does not automatically mean much. He is added back into the offensive line mix and he will compete for the starting left tackle job.

If we are fortunate enough we will also add former Texas A&M elite OT Jake Matthews in as well.

With two elite offensive tackles (provided Luke is all better) this gives us a foundation upon which to build. Only J.J. Watt, Robert Mathis and a host of passive aggressive Florida Gator fans angry about Tebow don't want to see Jake Matthews drafted by the Jaguars.

[Image: page18_blog_entry3946_3.jpg]
I remember drafting Monroe and Britt on a few years back. That didn't work out.

If we take Jake Matthews we're stupid. 

If Bridgewater is still there I think Dave Caldwell will select him. If not, things will  be interesting.  I think most Jags fans would like for us to not play it safe and find someone special with the third pick.  Clowney and Bridgwater are the top names going first.  Could one of them drop to the third selection?  There is a chance that HOU decides to go for Johnny Football.

If not QB then where do they go? OC, DT??  I wouldn't be shocked if they drafted a RB or WR either.. This years draft has a lot of good players.  They have a lot to think about before Rogar Goodell calls them up.

Quote:Blackmon won the Biletnikoff twice.  When he became a Jag, did publicity spike?  Not really.  You could argue not a single first rounder in the 2013 brought a tremendous amount of publicity to their team.  Tavon Austin may be the closest.  The year before that, arguably only Luck and RG3 brought any real publicity boost to their team.  Blake Bortles is supposed to bring publicity to Jax?  How about we just get better and win games.  When you're on tv in January, you get all the publicity you need.  The big markets will always get the big network draw even when they field unwatchable teams.  Who cares?  Let's just build a winner.
I would have to point out that when he had the 200 yard game against Denver, we did indeed see an increase in talk time. The problem is he disappeared after 4 games, and MJD isn't all the way there anymore. there is nothing to talk about right now, besides how every coach who lost to us got fired...

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Hey guys, Louisville Cardinals fan here, hence the user name, and Carolina Panthers fan, so I have no dog against you guys, but I'm really interested in what the Jags are going to do at pick number 3. I'm like a lot of you guys, and I think the Jags are going to take a QB at #3, and could very well have their choice of the 3 top rated QBs in this draft in Bortles, Manziel, and Teddy. I realize I'm biased, but let me break down for you why I think Teddy is a better fit than the other two guys by examning them and breaking them down, then feel free to do the same with Teddy since I have red tinted glasses on. I had this conversation with a Jags fan at a bar the other night watching Louisville basketball, so I thought I'd come and see if you guys were all as cool as him.  :thumbsup:

Johnny Manziel: First of all let me say that Johnny Football was one of the most entertaining players to watch in all of college football the last 2 years. On the field the guy just gets it. He senses pressure, he has amazing running ability, and boy can he pass. I do want to look at that in a second, but lets talk about his deficiencies. First of all Johnny is short for an NFL QB at 6'1". How many QBs have been great in the last 4 decades that were 6'1" or below? Not many. In fact, sans the guys we have playing today, there hasn't been a guy that tall or under be a HoF post 1970, while there have been 2 MVPs. The question is, is Johnny going to buck the trend and be the next Russel Wilson or Drew Brees? What is the percentage chance he has of doing that? Very, very low.

Then you have to question the guys character off of the field. As a Panthers fan I completely understand giving this guy a break, but as fellow fans of small market teams, you guys might also know that players on our teams aren't always what they're made out to be. Cam really isn't the boogey man they made him during the draft, and certainly not the guy they made him out to be post-whining press conference his rookie year. Slowly he's gotten a better reputation from the media, or may be they've just completely forgotten about him because he plays for Carolina, who knows? Back to the point though, I don't see what I saw in Cam in Johnny. I don't know that he'll have character issues in the NFL, but if I'm picking between these 3 guys I'm not betting he's going to be Drew Brees and a choir boy.

Before we get to direct Teddy comparisons lets get down to who he plays for, Sumlin. Sumlin made Bradford look good as the OC of the Sooners, and I think Bradford has turned out alright, but for a guy that couldn't miss, he's certainly not been the QB the Rams probably thought they were drafting. He's more of Jake Delhomme, which wins you football games if you play run first with a tough defense. Then at Houston he made Case Keenum look good, anyone want him? Even made a guy named David Piland look pretty good for college. This is versus Shawn Watson, the OC for Louisville with Teddy. You have to judge by Watson because Strong is a defensive coach. Watson at Nebraska had Sam Keller who was very average with Watson, Joe Ganz who looked above average, and Zac Lee who was very much below average. Teddy was the only QB that Watson has coached that has ever been lights out. So with Manziel you're taking a chance that he is the product of Sumlin's offense. If you put Teddy in that offense what does he do? If you put Manziel is Louisville's much slower offense what does he do?

Now for more direct comparison; Teddy has the stronger arm. Manziel is the better runner, but that's not to say Teddy is slow. Teddy doesn't have Johnny's speed but he scrambles behind the line of scrimmage to get throw down field. I'd say they're both very good at reading defenses, but I've seen few college QBs move safeties as well as Teddy does with his eyes, it's very impressive. Teddy's throwing mechanics are NFL level, and Johnny's are a bit erratic, but he gets the ball there, this could mean accuracy issues in the NFL with the faster speed and defenses keying on throwing motions. Manziel had better talent around him than Teddy, I don't think anyone will debate that.

Blake Bortles: Okay Blake is a bit easier, being a Louisville fan I got to see a lot of UCF, including there incredible win against the Cards live, which wasn't so fun. Before we get started, Teddy outplayed Bortles in that game, and both QBs led their teams on "game winning drives." Bortles is has that "sexy NFL size" thing going on for him, where he's 6'4" and 225+ pounds. His mobility is good, but I'd say he's slightly less of a running threat than Teddy speed wise. He doesn't have a huge arm, but I'll take accuracy over arm strength all day. His mechanics are okay, but his release is a little long, which could be bad for the NFL, and it is believe he is going to have to sit before being thrown to the wolves. My bigger issues with him are that he isn't great under pressure, and his offense at UCF ran a ton of bubble screens. As an opposing fan it was hard to watch every single play go read-option/play action -> screen pass. Now he did throw down the field a little bit, and he was good doing it, but it's hard to judge just how good of a QB he is in that offense. If this was pre-rookie draft cap era I'd say Bortles goes in the 2nd round just because he's not Day 1 ready and you don't know how good he makes his reads compared to other guys that have played in more down the field passing type offenses.

I'll be happy to answer any of your questions on Teddy if you want to throw them in here. I've only missed watching him play due to sickness, so throw them at me.  :thanks:
I liked the point about the offensive coordinators, very salient. But I am pretty sure Manziel looks better than all the previous players he had, but it was a good point.  Anyway I enjoyed it, don't think Teddy will be there for us though.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Right.  Because it is just completely impossible for a team to drastically improve from one year to the next unless its a team coached by Handy Andy and led by Tough Luck.

Unless of course u have Alex Smith as your QB, well then of course... ya know.... uhh.... yeah.

You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

I would hope the Jags take Clowney with pick #3 and then pick up a QB in round 2.  Clowney has been described as a 1 in 10 year talent ... and a huge need for the Jags.

I hope you are right but I have a hard time believing Clowney falls to 3.....does anyone think we would trade up for him? I am not saying I advocate  this... just a question..

Quote:I hope you are right but I have a hard time believing Clowney falls to 3.....does anyone think we would trade up for him? I am not saying I advocate  this... just a question..

Clowney will be there at #3. No team is stupid enough to give up a load of picks to trade up to the #2 spot for a non-QB even if it is a guy like Clowney.

It just depends on if we're smart enough to take him.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

I just don't see the enamoration with Clowney by the whole nation. 4 Louisville players out did him sack wise, and a few others tied him that don't even start. I realize he had huge freshman and sophomore years, and that hit on ESPN made him who he was. Watching him play this year I just didn't see it. I don't see the motor that would make him a can't pass-up player in this draft.

I guess you can say the same thing about taking a QB, but in the NFL every good football team starts around a good QB. Look at Carolina and San Francisco. Even though they don't pass for a ton of yards a game, both QBs make plays when needed to, and are the undisputed leaders of their team. I don't think the Jags have that.

They don't have a lot though, so I guess it doesn't really hurt where you start. 

Quote:I just don't see the enamoration with Clowney by the whole nation. 4 Louisville players out did him sack wise, and a few others tied him that don't even start. I realize he had huge freshman and sophomore years, and that hit on ESPN made him who he was. Watching him play this year I just didn't see it. I don't see the motor that would make him a can't pass-up player in this draft.

I guess you can say the same thing about taking a QB, but in the NFL every good football team starts around a good QB. Look at Carolina and San Francisco. Even though they don't pass for a ton of yards a game, both QBs make plays when needed to, and are the undisputed leaders of their team. I don't think the Jags have that.

They don't have a lot though, so I guess it doesn't really hurt where you start. 
Clowney was the consensus #1 pick even before he made that huge hit.

He's easily the most physically talented DE we've seen in at least 10 years.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:Clowney was the consensus #1 pick even before he made that huge hit.

And Jamarcus Russel easily had the best arm we had ever seen too, but his attitude sucked and we saw how that turned out. Every few years their is the "best guy ever" at x position, and it doesn't always work out. Look at Calvin Johnson, worked out great! What about all those other WRs the Lions drafted #1 though? Matt Leinhart anyone? Reggie Bush?

My issue with Clowney is the same issue I had with Gabbert vs Newton as a Panther fan. Gabbert's ceiling was lower, and his floor was lower. Newton had a higher ceiling, higher floor, and he had confidence. I didn't see that in Gabbert. Clowney to me has an extremely high ceiling and an extremely low floor. Drafting him with the needs the the Jags have scares me.

Quote:And Jamarcus Russel easily had the best arm we had ever seen too, but his attitude sucked and we saw how that turned out. Every few years their is the "best guy ever" at x position, and it doesn't always work out. Look at Calvin Johnson, worked out great! What about all those other WRs the Lions drafted #1 though? Matt Leinhart anyone? Reggie Bush?

Noone spoke of Leinart or Bush in that way.  The Calvin Johnson hype is similar to the Clowney hype.  

I think Clowney has the best chance out of anyone in the draft to be a perennial pro bowler and possible defensive player of the year.  He has the physical ability, it will be down to the coaches to get the most out of him.

I would love Clowney at #3.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Clowney was the consensus #1 pick even before he made that huge hit.

He also easily has the worst attitude and work ethic we've seen in at least 20 years

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

That's a ridiculous statement
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:He also easily has the worst attitude and work ethic we've seen in at least 20 years

JaMarcus Russell approves of that statement...  :whistling: 

Quote:That's a ridiculous statement

Quote:JaMarcus Russell approves of that statement...   :whistling:

Quote:He also easily has the worst attitude and work ethic we've seen in at least 20 years
Okay, I can admit it when I'm wrong  Laughing

He also is tied for the worst attitude and work ethic we've seen in at least 20 years!

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:And Jamarcus Russel easily had the best arm we had ever seen too, but his attitude sucked and we saw how that turned out. Every few years their is the "best guy ever" at x position, and it doesn't always work out. Look at Calvin Johnson, worked out great! What about all those other WRs the Lions drafted #1 though? Matt Leinhart anyone? Reggie Bush?

My issue with Clowney is the same issue I had with Gabbert vs Newton as a Panther fan. Gabbert's ceiling was lower, and his floor was lower. Newton had a higher ceiling, higher floor, and he had confidence. I didn't see that in Gabbert. Clowney to me has an extremely high ceiling and an extremely low floor. Drafting him with the needs the the Jags have scares me.
I remember a player named Aaron Curry who was supposed to be the best LB prospect in recent history. We saw how that turned out.  There are no sure things about the draft.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]