Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: If Caldwell is fairly confident that Winston is much better than Bridgewater should the Jags draft a different position and tank another season for Jameis?
Yes, long-term dominance is worth another season like this.
No, we can't field such a depressing team two seasons in a row.
Draft Bridgewater this year, but still tank the season for Winston.
Blank #2
[Show Results]

How long should the Jags tank for the future?

Quote:I started reading the entire thread but had to stop.  I mean really, who among us actually thinks this team is tanking?  Tampa is tanking for Teddy, what we have here however is a flat our bad team.  No need to tank.

I think the player are doing their best. I think the coaches are doing their best.

I hope that what we've seen so far from Caldwell is not his best. I hope that he knowingly built a team this bad in order to get the 1st pick in 2014. If he thought he was putting together even a marginally competitive roster then we're in really bad shape for another four years.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:April 2014.

Caldwell: "Jameis, we know you have another season to play but before we draft we wanted to know if you are going to declare eligible for the 2015 draft?"

Winston: "Uh, you're not suppose to be talking to me."

Caldwell: "Well we are the pitiful Jaguars and we need to know if you'll be available next year or whether we should draft a QB next week in the NFL draft."

Winston: "Uh, I have another season to play college. After that is over I'll talk it over with my parents and coaches then make a decision."

Caldwell: "Gee Jameis, we don't have that long, we have to know NOW! We are the pitiful Jaguars who must make a pick next week in the draft."

Winston: "I have a class to attend. See ya."

Caldwell: "Uh, just in case can you make sure you don't tear an ACL or achilles this upcoming season? We'd hate to pass on a QB to pick you then you get injured in the college season."

Cute.

More likely they discretely get Jameis' friends and sex partners to raise the subject. Hire a good professional private investigator; considering what's at stake it would be money well spent.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:April 2014.

Caldwell: "Jameis, we know you have another season to play but before we draft we wanted to know if you are going to declare eligible for the 2015 draft?"

Winston: "Uh, you're not suppose to be talking to me."

Caldwell: "Well we are the pitiful Jaguars and we need to know if you'll be available next year or whether we should draft a QB next week in the NFL draft."

Winston: "Uh, I have another season to play college. After that is over I'll talk it over with my parents and coaches then make a decision."

Caldwell: "Gee Jameis, we don't have that long, we have to know NOW! We are the pitiful Jaguars who must make a pick next week in the draft."

Winston: "I have a class to attend. See ya."

Caldwell: "Uh, just in case can you make sure you don't tear an ACL or achilles this upcoming season? We'd hate to pass on a QB to pick you then you get injured in the college season."

April 2014:

Caldwell: "Jameis, we know you have another season to play but before we draft we wanted to know if you are going to declare eligible for the 2015 draft?"

Jameis: Of course I will.

October 2014:

Jaguars Fans: *stop going to games because QB talent is still lacking*

Caldwell: Come on guys!

Bridgewater/Mariota/Some QB in 2014: *does well*

Jaguars Fans: *points to QB doing well*

Caldwell: But Winston!

November 2014:

NFL: More games in London.

December 2014:

Some Other Team: *goes 0-16 with weaker SOS*

May 2015: 

Some Other Team: *takes Winston**

Caldwell: *loses job*

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

This is a great question and one that really hurts. 

Winston is the next Andrew Luck. He will win a minimum of two super bowls.

Unfortunately the blood bank is dangerously low and we cannot wait another season. I pray Teddy is all that we think he can be.

Quote:Troy Aikman. Peyton Manning....

Terry Bradshaw, Joe Greene, Elway though he wound up being traded to Denver because he refused to play for the Colts...and same for Eli Manning.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Nope it was the 3 year culmination of drafting Irvin, Aikman, Smith.  They also drafted Moose Johnston and two pro bowl offensive linemen the year they drafted Aikman.  You cannot convince me that Aikman was anything similar to the narrative you're trying to develop where Teddy will lead us to the promised land.  

Quote:Nope it was the 3 year culmination of drafting Irvin, Aikman, Smith.  They also drafted Moose Johnston and two pro bowl offensive linemen the year they drafted Aikman.  You cannot convince me that Aikman was anything similar to the narrative you're trying to develop where Teddy will lead us to the promised land.  

First off, Irvin blew out his ACL in 1989 and didn't come back until the next year, back during the time where surgical techniques weren't what they are now.  Even though he was a stud in college and wound up being a Hall of Famer, there was still no guarantee with him early in Aikman's career.

Secondly, Dallas while technically Dallas drafted two Pro Bowl OL in 1989- the year they drafted Aikman-only one of those guys, Mark Stepnoski, actually played for Dallas.  Steve Wisniewski was traded to the Raiders that same draft day for more picks.

Furthermore, I think your requirement of an immediate turnaround is unrealistic.  Under your rationale, since the Steelers didn't become winners until 1972-two full seasons after Bradshaw was picked first and three after Mean Joe Greene was picked first, that means they were not successful picks.  Under that same rationale, since Aikman didn't notch his first winning season until his third year, he was somehow a failed pick.  Bruce Smith was the first overall pick in 1985, and his first winning season didn't come until 1987.  Anyone who knows anything about their careers could tell you they were well worth those picks.

Given the seemingly endless array of holes on this team, it would be unrealistic to hold ANYBODY to the standard of turning this team around immediately.  Barring an all time great draft, Blackmon returning and staying eligible and healthy, and rookies from this year developing at a much faster rate than they are now, it'll take at least a couple of years to get it turned around.  But it doesn't mean the pick will be a failure.

Quote:Other than Emmitt, I never realized how little that Herchel Walker deal actually paid off for the Cowboys....
Are you nuts?!?

Dixon Edwards was a starter.  Darren Woodson made several pro bowls.  Alvin Harper was always HUGE in the playoffs.  Isaac Holt was a key contributor as was one of the other vets acquired from the Vikings.

The coming QB class is considered a very good one for very good reason.  The Jags will take the QB they believe they can build around.  They aren't going to let the 2015 QB class affect that decision.  I truly don't see any scenario in which the Jags don't take one of the top quarterbacks in the upcoming draft.  

The 2015 draft might be important to this franchise for a long time to come, but the odds are against the Jags taking a first round QB at that time.  

Quote:Aww that's cute.  He still writes in crayon. 

Make something nice for mommy so she can put it up on the fridge. 
My money says he ate the crayons when he was done! LOL

Quote:That was the thought last season.
Lol no it wasn't unless you had your head up Gabberts (BAD WORD REMOVED) 

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2013, 12:52 PM by atburg.)

Quote:Lol no it wasn't unless you had your head up Gabberts (BAD WORD REMOVED) 
I go away for a little while, then I come back to see what????? You are still obsessed with our backup qb!

Quote: 

You excluded the fact that the Cowboys traded Hershell for these picks ....
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
  • Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)
  • Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)<sup>[1]</sup>

The Cowboys build a team...  Just as you pointed out, they had multiple draft picks, some hit, some lost based on thier trade with the Vikings.  Well done in pointing out that the 'boys didn't just hit on thier first rounders, they build through the draft.  But they built via an immense wealth of picks. 

Quote:Other than Emmitt, I never realized how little that Herchel Walker deal actually paid off for the Cowboys....

Dude, what?!?!  Alvin Harper?  Were you in a coma during the 90's?  Harper was an integral part of the Cowboy passing game.  Jeez...  And Darren Woodson?  You don't think he paid off?  Those 2 players, no matter the other picks were a huge part of the Dallas Dynasty.  I know facts stink when you're trying to make an agruement, but dude, you gotta accept when you're wrong.  And you are WRONG.  The cowboys didn't make it because of the big 3, they made if because they drafted well and had very good coaching.  Irving, Aikman, and Smith wouldn't be anything without the additional pickups they got.  Not to mention the fact that they did well in Free Agency!  Remember they sniped top Defensive players from the 49'ers too, they were a well run organization under Jimmy Johnson.  Once he left, the wheels pretty much fell off, Switzer won a SB with that squad because...  Heck anyone could!  But the basis of that dynasty was the fact that they build around talent.  You can't just pick up a franchise QB and 1 great WR and expect to win multiple SB's.  You need to build a team.  The cowboys built a team, up and down. 

Quote:That's the spirit.  Give up on those rookies 8 games into their rookie season. 

How are Arthur Brown and Matt Barkley doing again?

I remember how down everyone was on CSIII after his rookie year.  Its important to not write rookies off.  Very good point.

I say draft one every year until you get one worth keeping. 

Quote:The best year to draft a QB is always next year. It's been that way for years.
Yep, we took Gabbert during a consensus 'Great QB' draft, and now almost all of them look like busts from the first round. Locker looks bad, Ponder looks bad, Gabbert looks the worst of course. Heck the only good QB who came out of that 'great class' is Kapernick. I have some confidence in Caldwell, I think he can find a guy this year.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

I think we learned that tanking does not guarantee anything. There is no one in this draft including Clowney worth tanking for. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:I think we learned that tanking does not guarantee anything. There is no one in this draft including Clowney worth tanking for. 

As I said in the other post where someone said something similar to the above....

can we wait until Houston actually makes the pick before serving the crow? 

Because if Houston winds up making the sweet trade down and stockpiling picks, then theres no way you are going to tell me that the tanking for the 1st overall pick wasn't worth it. 

As I said in the other thread, for those who were the biggest advocates for tanking, quitting is a lifestyle choice.

Anyone with a shred of integrity doesn't intentionally lose, or even suggest such things.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Tanking loses you jobs,I don't think Gus and Dave want to be jobless.

Quote:Tanking loses you jobs,I don't think Gus and Dave want to be jobless.

Don't tell the diva that. He's convinced Houston paid Kubiak a bonus to tank so they could get Bridgewater.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I have no interest in being a fan of any team that puts out anything less than it's best effort to win every game it plays.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.