Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: If Caldwell is fairly confident that Winston is much better than Bridgewater should the Jags draft a different position and tank another season for Jameis?
Yes, long-term dominance is worth another season like this.
No, we can't field such a depressing team two seasons in a row.
Draft Bridgewater this year, but still tank the season for Winston.
Blank #2
[Show Results]

How long should the Jags tank for the future?

I've read in several places that Jameis Winston is a sure-fire #1 pick and bigger, faster, smarter, stronger-armed than Teddy Bridgewater.

Maybe Winston isn't that good. But that argument is not under consideration here. Assume for this argument that he is. Wouldn't the Jags be better off long-term getting the #1 pick in 2015 and using it on Winston? Wouldn't Carolina have been better off not drafting Cam Newton and getting Andrew Luck in 2012?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

How would they even be able to pull that off??They'd probably get better (too good to get the #1 draft spot) merely by the additions from the upcoming offseason. 

Quote:How would they even be able to pull that off??They'd probably get better (too good to get the #1 draft spot) merely by the additions from the upcoming offseason. 

That was the thought last season.

Bridgewater this year. He is an outstanding prospect and my favorite QB in the class by a pretty large margin. I haven't seen much of Mariota because I don't follow much west coast ball but I have seen him a little bit.

Reping the Jags from Brevard County!

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2013, 04:19 PM by carly.)

Quote:I've read in several places that Jameis Winston is a sure-fire #1 pick and bigger, faster, smarter, stronger-armed than Teddy Bridgewater.

Maybe Winston isn't that good. But that argument is not under consideration here.
Assume for this argument that he is
Wouldn't the Jags be better off long-term getting the #1 pick in 2015 and using it on Winston? Wouldn't Carolina have been better off not drafting Cam Newton and getting Andrew Luck in 2012?

So we are assuming that Winston is outstanding, and better than Teddy. OK. But how good is Teddy, since we're making assumptions?

If Winston is a hypothetical guarantee and Teddy is a hypothetical Wild Card, then there's really little debate.

The scenario is flawed.

So, my answer depends on how we're projecting Teddy to play. However, I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with Cam Newton heading into this season.

On Wisconsin.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2013, 04:12 PM by Jkeets.)

We should stop tanking and start winning.  Here's a concept:  You can only win by winning.  This entire lose to win phenomenon has gotten out of hand.  When has the #1 pick (outside of Luck) ever led to some remarkable turn around?  You know how many players we could have drafted lower in the first round than we drafted and be an absolute monster team?  You draft the best player where you're at and you go out and win.  No one's winning with Elaine Goobert at QB, I get that.  Let's fix that this offseason and can we move on from losing.  

Gene's Myth

Quote:We should stop tanking and start winning.  Here's a concept:  You can only win by winning.  This entire lose to win phenomenon has gotten out of hand.  When has the #1 pick (outside of Luck) ever led to some remarkable turn around?

Troy Aikman. Peyton Manning....

Until people stop making threads like these.

Quote:I've read in several places that Jameis Winston is a sure-fire #1 pick and bigger, faster, smarter, stronger-armed than Teddy Bridgewater.

Maybe Winston isn't that good. But that argument is not under consideration here. Assume for this argument that he is. Wouldn't the Jags be better off long-term getting the #1 pick in 2015 and using it on Winston? Wouldn't Carolina have been better off not drafting Cam Newton and getting Andrew Luck in 2012?

The best year to draft a QB is always next year. It's been that way for years.

;

;

The OP assumes that the Jaguars are trying to lose and will continue to lose in order to gain a better draft spot when I would argue that the Jaguars

simply suck.

Quote:Troy Aikman. Peyton Manning....

Cowboys drafted Irvin, Aikman, Smith in the 1st round three years in a row.  Hardly a "quick fix" if you ask me.  That's hitting on your draft picks multiple years in a row.  Peyton is an OK example.  So we have 2 instances where having the 1st pick will change our fortunes around.  How many more of the opposite variety?

Let's just win.  

Gene's Myth

Quote:So we are assuming that Winston is outstanding, and better than Teddy. OK. But how good is Teddy, since we're making assumptions?

If Winston is a hypothetical guarantee and Teddy is a hypothetical Wild Card, then there's really little debate.

The scenario is flawed.

So, my answer depends on how we're projecting Teddy to play. However, I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with Cam Newton heading into this season.

I agree with Carly. Some Pro comparisons would help.

That being said, if we're staring Bridgewater in the face and he's a "bigger Russell Wilson" as I've seen thrown around, I think you have to take him.

There is just no gurantee of getting the #1 pick again the next year. Come to think of it, has it ever really happened?

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2013, 05:11 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Cowboys drafted Irvin, Aikman, Smith in the 1st round three years in a row.  Hardly a "quick fix" if you ask me.  That's hitting on your draft picks multiple years in a row.  Peyton is an OK example.  So we have 2 instances where having the 1st pick will change our fortunes around.  How many more of the opposite variety?

Let's just win.  

Irvin was already there by time of Aikmans drafting, just like Shorts/ Blackmon are already here.....

The Cowboys won 11 reg season games and a playoff game only 2 seasons after finishing 1-15. I'd say thats a quick fix. Then won the SB the following 2 seasons. 

We aren't tanking this year, we are just that bad. The roster was wiped clean and it has left us with this type of season. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we finished next season with less than 3 wins (starting a rookie QB) and had a pick near the top. If we pick #1 for a second straight year, you have a real choice on your hands.

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->

Quote:Irvin was already there by time of Aikmans drafting, just like Shorts/ Blackmon are already here.....

The Cowboys won 11 reg season games and a playoff game only 2 seasons after finishing 1-15. I'd say thats a quick fix. Then won the SB the following 2 seasons. 

Nope it was the 3 year culmination of drafting Irvin, Aikman, Smith.  They also drafted Moose Johnston and two pro bowl offensive linemen the year they drafted Aikman.  You cannot convince me that Aikman was anything similar to the narrative you're trying to develop where Teddy will lead us to the promised land.  

Gene's Myth

Draft Bridgewater this year, make a couple of nice FA acqusitions while drafting well and this team should have no reason to tank because they should be competetive. 

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2013, 05:43 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Nope it was the 3 year culmination of drafting Irvin, Aikman, Smith.  They also drafted Moose Johnston and two pro bowl offensive linemen the year they drafted Aikman.  You cannot convince me that Aikman was anything similar to the narrative you're trying to develop where Teddy will lead us to the promised land.  

Lets try this again....can I type in crayon so maybe you'll understand better???.....

Michael Irvin
 (see even in Cowboy Blue)....was already drafted by the time that 
Jimmy 
Johnson 
was hired. Understand?? Just like how Justin Blackmon and Cecil Shorts 
were already here by the time that Bradley got here. 

The Dallas Cowboys went from 1-15 to 11-5 and a playoff win in 2 seasons. No one is saying that other additions didn't help. Jax would have other additions too. 

Quote:Lets try this again....can I type in crayon so maybe you'll understand better???.....

Michael Irvin
Jimmy 
Johnson 

The Dallas Cowboys went from 1-15 to 11-5 and a playoff win in 2 seasons. No one is saying that other additions didn't help. Jax would have other additions too. 

You're still not pointing out how Bridgewater is of any similarity to that situation.  Where's our pro bowl offensive linemen, tight end, HOF running back and WR's at?  Stick with the crayons though, its helping us all see your ability to draw within the lines

Gene's Myth

Quote:Lets try this again....can I type in crayon so maybe you'll understand better???.....

Michael Irvin
Jimmy 
Johnson 

Aww that's cute.  He still writes in crayon. 

Make something nice for mommy so she can put it up on the fridge. 

Quote:You're still not pointing out how Bridgewater is of any similarity to that situation.  Where's our pro bowl offensive linemen, tight end, HOF running back and WR's at?  Stick with the crayons though, its helping us all see your ability to draw within the lines

Joeckel & Paztor may be....and Guards shouldn't be that hard to get.....Stepnoski hadn't arrived to that point (in Dallas), neither did their TE.....running back is another easy get, or should be.....and I already pointed out that we have the WR's already....