Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles: The Ultimate Sunk Cost

Quote:Hate when people try to jump to the Rivers and Stafford bad mechanics argument. Neither of them have bad mechanics, they just have weird arm slots...which I don't think is remotely the same. They still have good footwork, good weight transfers, lightning fast releases, etc. 

LOL... where does "weird arm slot" fit on the spider chart?

smh...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This comes back to my sunk cost as a fan...  I thought it was a coaching problem in 2015 and firing Gus was the answer.  Turns out the rebuilding plan is a sham.  Bortles played well in a preseason game during his rookie season.  The smart thing to do would have been stick with the plan and keep him on the bench.  Our delusions were rewarded in 2015 when he played well against base defenses when the scores were lopsided.

Reality is 2 years of solid mechanics and project work and the firing of Gus in 2014 would have had a better outcome this year.  It is very likely that we will get a push next year and suffer through more pain.  My fandom sunk cost is going to result in more misery.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I don't care to toss Bortles out until we remove the handicap we have in the HC chair. 

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

My guess is that Khan gives Caldwell 1 more year with a new head coach. That means Bortles will be back as starter which is very bad news for us Jaguar fans. He'll play well in pre-season to justify this decision and then eventually revert back to the "old Blake" we know so well. Caldwell had better have a backup plan like a decent free agent pickup (Glennon?) when Blake implodes.

Quote:My guess is that Khan gives Caldwell 1 more year with a new head coach. That means Bortles will be back as starter which is very bad news for us Jaguar fans. He'll play well in pre-season to justify this decision and then eventually revert back to the "old Blake" we know so well. Caldwell had better have a backup plan like a decent free agent pickup (Glennon?) when Blake implodes.

One year? That doesn't seem reasonable either. I need, so much as I need anything to do with this team, I need to see progress both on the field and in the win column. If this team gets a new coach and wins 6 or 7 games that's progress. I want, but don't require, that the 1st year guy wins 12 and the division, I just want to see competitive games that, if we lose, we lose because we got beat not because we couldn't put a competent product on the field.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:One year? That doesn't seem reasonable either. I need, so much as I need anything to do with this team, I need to see progress both on the field and in the win column. If this team gets a new coach and wins 6 or 7 games that's progress. I want, but don't require, that the 1st year guy wins 12 and the division, I just want to see competitive games that, if we lose, we lose because we got beat not because we couldn't put a competent product on the field.
People don't get if dave had a better alternative he would put him on this team.  But there is nothing special coming out of the draft.  And not much in FA. So a trade be best. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:People don't get if dave had a better alternative he would put him on this team.  But there is nothing special coming out of the draft.  And not much in FA. So a trade be best.

No, again, the problem, the consistent problem with this team for 3.5 years is Gus. He needs to go before we start getting rid of the players we spent 3 years compiling.

Quote:A couple things strike me from this cut up.

Our receivers make some unreal plays last year. So many clutch catches.

Blake looked so much more confident last year. He make quick reads and was decisive in his decision. He can get back to that point next year.

I was watching his throwing motion every throw. 10 times better than this year

If the Jags want to replace Bortles, who do they replace him with? I just don't see any better options that are realistic next year.

Quote:If the Jags want to replace Bortles, who do they replace him with? I just don't see any better options that are realistic next year.

With the third pick in the 2017 NFL draft, the Jacksonville jaguars select, Mitch trubisky, quarter back, univ of north carolina

Quote:With the third pick in the 2017 NFL draft, the Jacksonville jaguars select, Mitch trubisky, quarter back, univ of north carolina
If Mitch is worth a #3 overall then Cleveland, San Fran, or perhaps Chicago will take him earlier than that

Quote:One year? That doesn't seem reasonable either. I need, so much as I need anything to do with this team, I need to see progress both on the field and in the win column. If this team gets a new coach and wins 6 or 7 games that's progress. I want, but don't require, that the 1st year guy wins 12 and the division, I just want to see competitive games that, if we lose, we lose because we got beat not because we couldn't put a competent product on the field.
Sorry, what I meant to say was Caldwell gets 1 more year. If the team doesn't improve significantly then Caldwell would get fired. The new coach should be given more than 1 year unless he proves to be totally incompetent.

2015 Bortles and 2016 Bortles are night and day

Quote:2015 Bortles and 2016 Bortles are night and day
He was doing so well. Wonder what happened to cause him to regress this much??

Quote:If Mitch is worth a #3 overall then Cleveland, San Fran, or perhaps Chicago will take him earlier than that

Yup, jags are in a good position to draft Myles Garrett.

Quote:Yup, jags are in a good position to draft Myles Garrett.
What I think "may" happen is Cleveland takes Garrett, hoping a QB falls to them in the 2nd. Pure speculation and way too early to tell

Quote:2015 Bortles and 2016 Bortles are night and day

But what will 2017 Bortles look like?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2016, 10:49 PM by Jagsfan32277.)

Quote:He was doing so well. Wonder what happened to cause him to regress this much??
He's been "Thunderstruck"

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KmQ9NkVaIZI'>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KmQ9NkVaIZI</a>

IMO...............there ALLOT of other issues with this team besides Blake Bortles but will acknowledge he is a big part of those very issues. Simply put, he's is really not a very good QB right now. Especially in the area of consistency. He's had more average or even bad games than he has had good ones. That's NOT the sign of a top tier QB. He should have been allot further along in his adapting to the pro game by now and yes................95% of that is on him. That said, the TEAM has also NOT lived up to expectations based on the personnel on paper. The talent factor is there but  that has NOT transferred down onto the field somehow. I don't know how you can put that on "anything but" coaching. And maybe that trail should also follow up the front office...who knows.

I will say this however. Regardless of how BB finishes this season, assuming he's the starter next season, he BETTER come out with STRONG starts for if he flounders in the first 4-5 games and the Jags losses pile up early............. he is done...put a fork in him. His tenure is over with the Jags and quite possibly in the league as well. Some guys respond well to that kind of ultimatum or pressure but I'm not sure Blake is one of them. I've said many times and stand by my statement that he RAISES more questions than he answers.