Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Could the Jags/FO be looking for a trade?

(08-21-2017, 12:14 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 09:27 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I'm starting to notice a trend here.. What we "think" the Jags should do, hardly ever translates to what The Jags "will" do..
Duh.

Well excuse the hell outta ME If it takes me 10 years to figure out what everyone else already knew
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I can't see us wasting future draft picks to get another teams 'backup quarterback' just so that this season we might have a shot at maybe doing slightly better than 5-11. Anything another team would be willing to give up for what we could trade (player for player) would be of little or no help to us. Trading probable high draft picks for another teams 'cast off' though... simply not very smart.

No, it's sink or swim time with Bortles. Lets see this delusional attachment of Dave Calwell with Bortles run its course to its inevitable conclusion and then move on. My concern is why there is seemingly such resistance to putting in Allen if/when Bortles is benched. If we can't count on Bortles then the season is as good as over; why not at least use what is left of it and lets see what Allen can do? Henne is at best only a game manager and its unrealistic to expect much more than that from Chad in a regular season game. There's a reason why he is nicknamed 'captain checkdown'.

I guess it should also be pointed out, in all fairness, that our receivers haven't been doing either Bortles or Henne many favors on the field so far this pre-season.

(08-22-2017, 03:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 11:42 PM)JackCity Wrote: Hunts has 13 drops in 280 targets. Arob has 9 drops in 380.

I don't know who Hunts is, but Hurns has made some of the most beautiful catches I've ever seen. He's the guy who can come down with the ball in traffic. He may not be the biggest or the fastest, but no matter what stats say, just by looking at their careers with the team, most people would say Hurns has the best hands on the team.

Hurns' drop vs the texans last season lost them the game.  (though several other dumb mistakes were made elsewhere as well in that game) 
He definitely does not have better hands than Lee, he is much slower than Lee, and I'm beginning to wonder if we've watched the same games. 
Lee is a superior athlete by a very wide margin. He's just had some injury issues.  Hurns may be one concussion away from hanging up the cleats, BTW. 

If I had Emmanuel Sanders and Golden Tate on the same team - I'm not looking to trade one of them because they have similar skillsets. That's how I look at Lee and Westbrook.  
Having two guys like that on the field will make defenses think very hard about stacking the box and therefore help to open up the run game. 

Including Cole in the discussion is premature and he's not as fast as Lee or Westbrook.

(08-22-2017, 03:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 11:42 PM)JackCity Wrote: Hunts has 13 drops in 280 targets. Arob has 9 drops in 380.

I don't know who Hunts is, but Hurns has made some of the most beautiful catches I've ever seen. He's the guy who can come down with the ball in traffic. He may not be the biggest or the fastest, but no matter what stats say, just by looking at their careers with the team, most people would say Hurns has the best hands on the team.

Arob has to make tougher catches than Hurns due to the nature of their play style and does so at a higher rate. If I had to throw to any receiver to make a catch to win a game it'd be Lee or Arob over Hurns

Taylor would be better than Bortles, but the drafting politics are hard at work "not in our favor". I would take a sack of Potato's over Bortles at this point. At least we could make fries from the potato's.
I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(08-22-2017, 01:08 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 03:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't know who Hunts is, but Hurns has made some of the most beautiful catches I've ever seen. He's the guy who can come down with the ball in traffic. He may not be the biggest or the fastest, but no matter what stats say, just by looking at their careers with the team, most people would say Hurns has the best hands on the team.

Arob has to make tougher catches than Hurns due to the nature of their play style and does so at a higher rate. If I had to throw to any receiver to make a catch to win a game it'd be Lee or Arob over Hurns
So you'd throw to Lee, on the sideline?
or ARob and hope he actually comes down with it or gets the PI call he doesn't get?

IDK... Hurns has had some hellacious catches over the middle and in the EZ

I can't believe we're having this conversation again. Every year it's that same doom and gloom once we see the team perform in preseason.

(08-21-2017, 02:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 02:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: At this point, I trade Marqise Lee straight up for Groy. With the emergence of Keelan Cole and Dede Westbrook, they could take his spot in a heartbeat and we'd miss nothing.

Eh. I don't share that opinion. Lee is worth more on the field in 2017 to me than that if I'm in the front office for the Jags.   Those young guys are still pretty unproven, though DeDe appears to be the real deal.

Still, none of the youngsters are facing front line starting defenses.  Westbrook was a Heisman finalist, and he was going against 3rd and 4th stringers.  It's easy to shine in that scenario.

This notion that Cole has flashed in camp (again against 2nd and 3rd string defenses in practice games) so we should trade away Lee is just ludicrous.  If the team wants to make a trade, Greene is the likeliest option because he doesn't exactly have a place where he's not irreplaceable.  The problem with him is there's enough film of his drops to diminish his trade value.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(08-22-2017, 03:55 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I can't believe we're having this conversation again. Every year it's that same doom and gloom once we see the team perform in preseason.

It's not that hard to believe when the team doesn't have a QB. Rings is all that matters and the FO and coaching staff saw the writing on the wall that you ain't winning no ring with Bortles or Henne. Just keep signing guys like Calais I guess.

(08-22-2017, 03:49 PM)Kane Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 01:08 PM)JackCity Wrote: Arob has to make tougher catches than Hurns due to the nature of their play style and does so at a higher rate. If I had to throw to any receiver to make a catch to win a game it'd be Lee or Arob over Hurns
So you'd throw to Lee, on the sideline?
or ARob and hope he actually comes down with it or gets the PI call he doesn't get?

Depends on the route of course but yeah in general I'd trust them over Hurns to catch a pass. 

Would be great to see them all play with a real QB though.

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2017, 08:24 AM by Caldrac.)

It's too late in the game now to get the QB situation resolved overnight. The front office rolled the dice with Bortles this off-season. And by all accounts they're going to be eating a ton of [BLEEP] from the media and fan base this year when things go South.

And rightfully so. They should catch all the hell in the world for not addressing or attempting to address the position this off-season. It's going to look really bad if Watson, Mahomes or any other rookie QB prospect end up looking the part and playing the part as a promising franchise QB this year too.

But I wouldn't trade anything right now. There's no need to. The risk greatly outweighs the reward right now. Next year in the off-season we could go all in at the table for Kirk Cousins if the market is there and he's still wanting out of Washington. Or, we could draft hopefully a top three QB prospect...again...for the fourth time in franchise history since 2003 and see if it finally works out.....
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-23-2017, 07:19 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 03:49 PM)Kane Wrote: So you'd throw to Lee, on the sideline?

Depends on the route of course but yeah in general I'd trust them over Hurns to catch a pass. 

Would be great to see them all play with a real QB though.

I meant Lee would be sitting on the sideline, injured lulz
And ARob relies on jump balls cuz he can't separate lol

(08-22-2017, 01:42 PM)David4499 Wrote: Taylor would be better than Bortles, but the drafting politics are hard at work  "not in our favor". I would take a sack of Potato's over Bortles at this point. At least we could make fries from the potato's.

Way too difficult.   Have you ever made fries or mashed potatoes from a sack of potatoes ?  It's a real pain in the [BLEEP].  I'd rather watch bad football for another year than to make fries from scratch.

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2017, 10:29 AM by Treestone Ice.)

(08-22-2017, 03:55 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I can't believe we're having this conversation again. Every year it's that same doom and gloom once we see the team perform in preseason.

The hell with it, my liver is seasoned and ready to handle whatever shenanigans this team decides to come up with this year. You could cut me open and nothing but teal colored booze would be inside.

(08-23-2017, 10:24 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 01:42 PM)David4499 Wrote: Taylor would be better than Bortles, but the drafting politics are hard at work  "not in our favor". I would take a sack of Potato's over Bortles at this point. At least we could make fries from the potato's.

Way too difficult.   Have you ever made fries or mashed potatoes from a sack of potatoes ?  It's a real pain in the [BLEEP].  I'd rather watch bad football for another year than to make fries from scratch.

Yeah... in order to make fries from potatoes you really need to let them soak in water over night to blanch them...
it's quite a process....

Just let the potatoes wrinkle, then cut them.. nature takes care of the blanching.
I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

I hope we don't trade for Brock Oswiler. I rather start Henne.

(08-23-2017, 11:16 AM)David4499 Wrote: Just let the potatoes wrinkle, then cut them.. nature takes care of the blanching.

That'll take longer than soaking them overnight.

We need immediate results with immediate return on our trade investment

Caldwell and Coughlin aren't looking for stop gap for a year, they are looking for the long term answer at QB...I can't see them using a draft pick or picks now and then picking up a better prospect available in the draft next year

(08-23-2017, 11:48 AM)wrong_box Wrote: Caldwell and Coughlin aren't looking for stop gap for a year, they are looking for the long term answer at QB...I can't see them using a draft pick or picks now and then picking up a better prospect available in the draft next year

Bingo.

All these brilliant trade suggestions to land a stop gap QB for this season coming from the armchair GM community are wasted energy.  The team isn't giving up draft picks for someone else's backup.  They'll manage the situation as best they can for this year, hope that something clicks for Henne or Bortles, and start looking at their options in the draft and free agency at the end of the season.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]