Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles too Toxic to remain on the roster next season?

(11-02-2017, 02:04 PM)JNev Wrote: I'd be lying if this thought didn't come to my mind as well. I have always said winning that Super Bowl set their franchise back for years. Is it worth it? Tough to say. I'd be really upset if we had to pay Bortles what Flacco got paid. Even if Bortles had an identical post-season to Flacco you can't let 4 games overshadow a whole career of below-averageness. They should've traded Flacco, but the optics on that move is really hard to justify to the fans.

Exactly. The funny thing is, we've been bad so long that I think we may have the same dilemma even if we simply win a playoff game or 2.
[/quote]

It's a scary thing to consider. I really really hope Caldwell can take the out and save face after making the playoffs and get a new QB via FA or 1st rd (preferably both actually) next year and let Blake have a new start somewhere else. He'll get paid by someone I'm sure.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2017, 02:16 PM by Kane.)

(11-02-2017, 02:04 PM)JNev Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 01:28 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote: He is in no way toxic, he just hasn't shown at this point that he can be a franchise QB. This doesn't mean he is the worst ever or that I hate him. It's strictly off of what we have seen from him since 2014. He still has 9 game left in a wide open season and we have one of the easiest upcoming schedules, so it's definitely now or never. He may pull a Flacco and win the Super Bowl and force the teams hand on a long term mega deal.

I'd be lying if this thought didn't come to my mind as well. I have always said winning that Super Bowl set their franchise back for years. Is it worth it? Tough to say. I'd be really upset if we had to pay Bortles what Flacco got paid. Even if Bortles had an identical post-season to Flacco you can't let 4 games overshadow a whole career of below-averageness. They should've traded Flacco, but the optics on that move is really hard to justify to the fans.

I think a franchise who has never been to a SB much less won one would gladly take the Ravens problems.

I certainly would take a SB victory followed by a few years of playoff contention before the wheels start falling off lol

Sure you'd like a more sustained success, but honestly outside of Brady... no one wins 3 SBs in 4-5 years

(11-02-2017, 02:16 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 02:04 PM)JNev Wrote: I'd be lying if this thought didn't come to my mind as well. I have always said winning that Super Bowl set their franchise back for years. Is it worth it? Tough to say. I'd be really upset if we had to pay Bortles what Flacco got paid. Even if Bortles had an identical post-season to Flacco you can't let 4 games overshadow a whole career of below-averageness. They should've traded Flacco, but the optics on that move is really hard to justify to the fans.

I think a franchise who has never been to a SB much less won one would gladly take the Ravens problems.

I certainly would take a SB victory followed by a few years of playoff contention before the wheels start falling off lol

Sure you'd like a more sustained success, but honestly outside of Brady... no one wins 3 SBs in 4-5 years

Kane I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't take this deal also. As much as I think it's finally time to move on from Blake I would much rather be able to say we were the first franchise team to win a Super Bowl.

(11-02-2017, 02:07 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 01:48 PM)Rico Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I referred to Bortles anywhere.  I simply said that Cousins isn't worth the money he is going to command.  And if you think he's only going to get $20 million...I believe you are way off.

No you did not mention Bortles but the thread topic did and Bortles would be the QB that Cousins would be replacing, hence the comparison. That is essentially the question the front office will have to answer no matter who they bring in. Oh and I said "over $20 mill a year".

Not even close to the same thing because you're narrowing the choice to only Cousins or Bortles.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-02-2017, 02:16 PM)Kane Wrote:

Honestly I think the Ravens outlook is very very bleak right now. They cannot get out of the Flacco contract and he is just isnt good. It might all have been worth it, but it's going to be a long while before they're any threat again. The worst part for them is they somehow are winning some games this year so they'll have a middle pick instead of a top one.

(11-01-2017, 05:35 AM)nhiverson Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 08:30 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: I'm just asking because he has improved this year but is the narrative already written perception wise and there's nothing he can do that would be embraced by this fan base?
He hasn't really improved hes been the same guy for 4 seasons. Just throwing less
[Image: DNKNIAYUIAAJWV1?format=jpg&name=small]
I agree, its spooky how similar the years look in some ways. Int percentage at 2.6% is nice, and its good to see the Y/A over 7 again. I think we kind of know what we have in Blake at this point. I know he will be in the league a long time, maybe even bouncing around as temporary starters for multiple teams like Fitzpatrick or McCown. I think people can agree he is at least on their level (probably a bit better actually). But he also has their inconsistency. I was comparing Blake to Tannehill, but after actually looking at Tannehills stats alittle more (I was basing off of complaints about his inconsistency), Tannehill is actually better. 

The thing about Blake is he could truly be the proverbial 'guy you cut and that finally puts it all together somewhere else' that Vic talked about. Gabbert was never gonna do that.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

If we win a Super Bowl I have no problem retaining Blake long term even if I know it’s not the best thing long term. That is also the way I see us retaining him for 4-5 years. A playoff game or two won’t do it. I think best case is we go one and done in the playoffs, he gets a 2-3 year incentivized deal, we draft a qb in the first round, and roll until he plays himself out of the starting line up.

I could see him putting it all together next year especially since we have a better coaching staff but I also think Coughlin and Doug want “their guy”

(11-02-2017, 02:36 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: If we win a Super Bowl I have no problem retaining Blake long term even if I know it’s not the best thing long term. That is also the way I see us retaining him for 4-5 years. A playoff game or two won’t do it. I think best case is we go one and done in the playoffs, he gets a 2-3 year incentivized deal, we draft a qb in the first round, and roll until he plays himself out of the starting line up.

I could see him putting it all together next year especially since we have a better coaching staff but I also think Coughlin and Doug want “their guy”
I don't care what this team does if they win a SB.

They can cut Blake and have Steve Nash be QB for all I care. They can keep Blake and have him play WR while ARob moves to DE and Fowler plays RB.

(11-02-2017, 02:39 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 02:36 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: If we win a Super Bowl I have no problem retaining Blake long term even if I know it’s not the best thing long term. That is also the way I see us retaining him for 4-5 years. A playoff game or two won’t do it. I think best case is we go one and done in the playoffs, he gets a 2-3 year incentivized deal, we draft a qb in the first round, and roll until he plays himself out of the starting line up.

I don't care what this team does if they win a SB.

They can cut Blake and have Steve Nash be QB for all I care. They can keep Blake and have him play WR while ARob moves to DE and Fowler plays RB.

I mean it's easy to say that now, but fast forward 12 months and we're 2-5 and I don't think you'd be singing the same tune.

(11-02-2017, 02:42 PM)JNev Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 02:39 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don't care what this team does if they win a SB.

I mean it's easy to say that now, but fast forward 12 months and we're 2-5 and I don't think you'd be singing the same tune.
Not me man... the one SB win would be enough to carry me over a whole year of bad football.
How many people could you shove it in their face?

I've known a many people who think the Jags have never been relevant. They'll never get to or win a SB. They're moving to LA... or London...

All those people I'd get to be like "nanny nanny boo boo"

Also... this team is really good around the QB and I doubt we'd fall off that bad that quick.

Yeah a SB win would carry me over for a good 2-3 years. I’m cool with that. But I don’t see them immediately sucking. It would be the same formula they rode there and would be a playoff team for a few years afterwards. This team is pretty built in the front office and they seem to have the drafting concept down pat.

We good

I'd rather a superbowl followed by 10 losing seasons than win 11+ games every year for 10 years. Easily.

(11-02-2017, 02:26 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 05:35 AM)nhiverson Wrote: He hasn't really improved hes been the same guy for 4 seasons. Just throwing less
[Image: DNKNIAYUIAAJWV1?format=jpg&name=small]
I agree, its spooky how similar the years look in some ways. Int percentage at 2.6% is nice, and its good to see the Y/A over 7 again. I think we kind of know what we have in Blake at this point. I know he will be in the league a long time, maybe even bouncing around as temporary starters for multiple teams like Fitzpatrick or McCown. I think people can agree he is at least on their level (probably a bit better actually). But he also has their inconsistency. I was comparing Blake to Tannehill, but after actually looking at Tannehills stats alittle more (I was basing off of complaints about his inconsistency), Tannehill is actually better. 

The thing about Blake is he could truly be the proverbial 'guy you cut and that finally puts it all together somewhere else' that Vic talked about. Gabbert was never gonna do that.

Heard someone talking with Cowherd today and their opinion was a qb coming from a spread offense takes 3-5 years to develop into an NFL qb.  It doesn't mean they're a bad football player; it just means they have to learn how to be a competent NFL qb.

That said, I hope we can get an upgrade in FA this year.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(11-02-2017, 02:42 PM)JNev Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 02:39 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don't care what this team does if they win a SB.

Nah.

I can assure you that if the Jags win the SB, they can go 0-16 the very next season and I'll still be happy. Considering where this franchise has been the past 10 years or more? Yea... I'd ride that SB win for at least 5 years.

(11-02-2017, 02:50 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 02:42 PM)JNev Wrote: I mean it's easy to say that now, but fast forward 12 months and we're 2-5 and I don't think you'd be singing the same tune.
Not me man... the one SB win would be enough to carry me over a whole year of bad football.
How many people could you shove it in their face?

I've known a many people who think the Jags have never been relevant. They'll never get to or win a SB. They're moving to LA... or London...

All those people I'd get to be like "nanny nanny boo boo"

Also... this team is really good around the QB and I doubt we'd fall off that bad that quick.

That one SB win would give me the ultimate comeback to my buddy, who is an obnoxious Bills fan.

There would be nothing he could say to me about how bad the Jaguars are.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-01-2017, 12:26 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:

I’ve got to admit, that song has been in my head this whole thread.

(11-02-2017, 02:19 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 02:16 PM)Kane Wrote: I think a franchise who has never been to a SB much less won one would gladly take the Ravens problems.

Kane I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't take this deal also. As much as I think it's finally time to move on from Blake I would much rather be able to say we were the first franchise team to win a Super Bowl.

What does that mean?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-02-2017, 03:21 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 02:26 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: I agree, its spooky how similar the years look in some ways. Int percentage at 2.6% is nice, and its good to see the Y/A over 7 again. I think we kind of know what we have in Blake at this point. I know he will be in the league a long time, maybe even bouncing around as temporary starters for multiple teams like Fitzpatrick or McCown. I think people can agree he is at least on their level (probably a bit better actually). But he also has their inconsistency. I was comparing Blake to Tannehill, but after actually looking at Tannehills stats alittle more (I was basing off of complaints about his inconsistency), Tannehill is actually better. 

Heard someone talking with Cowherd today and their opinion was a qb coming from a spread offense takes 3-5 years to develop into an NFL qb.  It doesn't mean they're a bad football player; it just means they have to learn how to be a competent NFL qb.

That said, I hope we can get an upgrade in FA this year.

That's completely false.

(11-02-2017, 02:04 PM)JNev Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 01:28 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote: He is in no way toxic, he just hasn't shown at this point that he can be a franchise QB. This doesn't mean he is the worst ever or that I hate him. It's strictly off of what we have seen from him since 2014. He still has 9 game left in a wide open season and we have one of the easiest upcoming schedules, so it's definitely now or never. He may pull a Flacco and win the Super Bowl and force the teams hand on a long term mega deal.

I'd be lying if this thought didn't come to my mind as well. I have always said winning that Super Bowl set their franchise back for years. Is it worth it? Tough to say. I'd be really upset if we had to pay Bortles what Flacco got paid. Even if Bortles had an identical post-season to Flacco you can't let 4 games overshadow a whole career of below-averageness. They should've traded Flacco, but the optics on that move is really hard to justify to the fans.

Let's say the Jags win at least one playoff game (or even make it to the superb owl) -- I really don't think this F.O. is naive enough to just pony up a giant contract for Bortles. 

He'd have to have multiple consecutive games in the regular season into the post-season  that resemble his baltmore/indy performances to cause them to consider such a contract IMO.  Pretty slim chance of that IMO. 

I think they are smarter than that. 

I think the more likely outcome is that they overpay Bortles for his 5th year option and draft a QB they believe in to take the reigns in 2019 - even if they have to trade up to get him.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2017, 10:41 AM by Kane.)

(11-03-2017, 09:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Let's say the Jags win at least one playoff game (or even make it to the superb owl) -- I really don't think this F.O. is naive enough to just pony up a giant contract for Bortles. 

He'd have to have multiple consecutive games in the regular season into the post-season  that resemble his baltmore/indy performances to cause them to consider such a contract IMO.  Pretty slim chance of that IMO. 

I think they are smarter than that. 

I think the more likely outcome is that they overpay Bortles for his 5th year option and draft a QB they believe in to take the reigns in 2019 - even if they have to trade up to get him.
This... Bortles would play on his option and they'd draft a guy they think could take over. If Bortles continued his uptick, then we'd have the option of tagging him, extending him, or depending on the rookie, letting him walk (I believe we'd get a compensatory pick).