Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars New GM Candidates?

(11-29-2020, 09:01 PM)Adub28 Wrote: Adam Peters, do it, do it!

I like him too.  He'd be my 2nd choice.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

John Dorsey

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2020, 09:31 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-29-2020, 09:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: John Dorsey

I'm not real high on him.  He was released abruptly from the last 2 jobs he's had.  The book on him I've read is he is old school, not real big on analytics, and people think he's not as cognitively there as he used to be.  I'll try to find that article.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(11-29-2020, 09:28 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(11-29-2020, 09:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: John Dorsey

I'm not real high on him.  He was released abruptly from the last 2 jobs he's had.  The book on him I've read is he is old school, not real big on analytics, and people think he's not as cognitively there as he used to be.  I'll try to find that article.
Browns are on their way to the playoffs and the Chiefs are the best team in the league the last 2 seasons.

This is after Dorsey left.....

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2020, 09:40 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-29-2020, 09:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-29-2020, 09:28 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: I'm not real high on him.  He was released abruptly from the last 2 jobs he's had.  The book on him I've read is he is old school, not real big on analytics, and people think he's not as cognitively there as he used to be.  I'll try to find that article.
Browns are on their way to the playoffs and the Chiefs are the best team in the league the last 2 seasons.

This is after Dorsey left.....

Yeah... I'm sure he played a big part in building those teams.  But I am concerned why the Chiefs and Browns both dumped him so abruptly.  I think he's in his 60's now and the article I read hinted he did not get along well with people in the building, built a bad culture (i.e. Coughlin) and suggested he was losing it a bit.  I will try to find it and post.

Jeff Carson

This from Peter King in this morning's column...

". Sense I get from conversations with two veteran team executives over the weekend: The field of general managers is better than the field of coaches. “The GM list is very impressive—very impressive,” one said. “Coaches are okay. But I won’t be surprised to see a team on the fence with their current guy willing to get rid of him because of the crop of candidates out there.” Rick Smith (ex of Houston), ESPN’s Louis Riddick (lost out to Dave Gettleman with Giants), riser Champ Kelly, Indy’s Ed Dodds and Will McClay of Dallas are all strong, and there’s a pool of six or eight more that some teams are investigating."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...eter-king/

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-30-2020, 08:07 AM)Bullseye Wrote: This from Peter King in this morning's column...

". Sense I get from conversations with two veteran team executives over the weekend: The field of general managers is better than the field of coaches. “The GM list is very impressive—very impressive,” one said. “Coaches are okay. But I won’t be surprised to see a team on the fence with their current guy willing to get rid of him because of the crop of candidates out there.” Rick Smith (ex of Houston), ESPN’s Louis Riddick (lost out to Dave Gettleman with Giants), riser Champ Kelly, Indy’s Ed Dodds and Will McClay of Dallas are all strong, and there’s a pool of six or eight more that some teams are investigating."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...eter-king/

That seems like a solid Top 5 list of names Peter King has there.

(11-29-2020, 07:56 PM)newporttom Wrote:
(11-26-2020, 09:17 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Last year Carolina defense was horrible.  Panthers went defense with everyone of their picks and they got a shut out last week while Dave is still looking like he doesn't know what he's doing.  Burns is looking better than Allen

Say Goodnight Gracie.....

....probably incriminating myself by admitting that I understood this post. Well done.

Personally, my approach would be to interview a slew of qualified candidates with plenty of F.O. experience, but never a GM role, and simply allow one of them to blow you away in the interview(s).

I'm not big on going with a retread in this situation.

Find qualified fresh blood who presents a feasible and thoughtful path back to a winning record.

A consulting firm can give you a list of candidates as long as your arm to cull through.
Set up the interviews.
And then just wait until you're impressed with a couple of guys to bring back and choose between.

Not unlike any other executive level job search, really.

Seeing a lot of people talk about Borgonzi.

Personally, I don’t want a retread GM. I want some new blood at GM and HC.

I think Borgonzi for GM and Bienemy/Joe Brady for HC are my favorites.

(11-30-2020, 11:27 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Seeing a lot of people talk about Borgonzi.

I've seen a few people mention Joe Brady...

His resume is one of the shortest I've ever seen. How is he qualified for a head coaching position?

Obviously he showed he can really scheme up for an offense in LSU and doing fairly well in Carolina this year... but HC job after only 7 years of general coaching experience, most of which was as an "assistant" coach.

I'm okay with (or prefer rather) a rookie HC just not sure I'd lean toward that inexperienced.
Maybe Leftwich or Kellan Moore... or perhaps getting a college coach to come to the NFL for the first time (Lincoln Riley or Matt Campbell from Iowa State perhaps)

(11-30-2020, 11:38 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-30-2020, 11:27 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Seeing a lot of people talk about Borgonzi.

I've seen a few people mention Joe Brady...

His resume is one of the shortest I've ever seen. How is he qualified for a head coaching position?

Obviously he showed he can really scheme up for an offense in LSU and doing fairly well in Carolina this year... but HC job after only 7 years of general coaching experience, most of which was as an "assistant" coach.

I'm okay with (or prefer rather) a rookie HC just not sure I'd lean toward that inexperienced.
Maybe Leftwich or Kellan Moore... or perhaps getting a college coach to come to the NFL for the first time (Lincoln Riley or Matt Campbell from Iowa State perhaps)
I really like Campbell as well but there’s no chance Lincoln leaves OU for Jacksonville.

I don’t disagree with your statement on Joe Brady but look where he’s been and who he has learned from.

His trajectory is pointing up and I would rather give him a chance than see him snatched up by someone else this year or next year.

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2020, 12:22 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-30-2020, 11:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Personally, my approach would be to interview a slew of qualified candidates with plenty of F.O. experience, but never a GM role, and simply allow one of them to blow you away in the interview(s).

I'm not big on going with a retread in this situation.

Find qualified fresh blood who presents a feasible and thoughtful path back to a winning record.

A consulting firm can give you a list of candidates as long as your arm to cull through.
Set up the interviews.  
And then just wait until you're impressed with a couple of guys to bring back and choose between.

Not unlike any other executive level job search, really.

100% agree.  People get too caught up in just the teams future coaches and GM's come from.  Obviously, you want guys who have experienced some degree of success.  But you are hiring a person, not just a resume.  Evaluate the resumes of young but experienced up-and-coming GM candidates, bring them in for interviews, then pick the best person of that bunch.

Martin Mayhew - SF
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

The NFL Network's Mike Mayok appears to be doing a find job with the Raiders.

My Choice is, Mel Kiper. Atleast we know he does his homework and has a good eye for talent.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

It seems like Houston was doing pretty well with Rick Smith until his wife got cancer and he retired to take care of his family. Reports are that he is ready to return.

GM Tony Khan incoming
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I hope Khan chooses wisely. The potential for a domed stadium rests on this hire.

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2020, 03:04 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

Ok, he was fired lol 

"After he was fired, it was reported he was fired due to his management style, communication, as well as the Chiefs salary cap issues"
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23