Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars New GM Candidates?

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 07:45 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

I'm in an optimistic / thankful mood because I am assuming we will finally move on from Caldwell and Morrone.  I am of the mindset that you hire the GM first, and let him pick the coach.  That relationship is so important and I think it should be authentically created by GM and HC in their own interview processes, rather than the Khan just picking 2 guys and telling them they need to work together.  I saw Atlanta has 4 names on their list they already want to interview:

Rick Smith (former Texans GM)

Reggie McKenzie (former Raiders GM)

Champ Kelly (current Bears asst. director of personnel; former Denver personnel guy during their recent Super Bowls)

Brad Holmes (current longtime Rams director of college scouting)

Any names on this list standing out to anyone for us?  Who do you like?
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Does Theo Epstein know football?

(11-24-2020, 08:36 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Does Theo Epstein know football?

I'm sure he can order a copy of Street & Smith; or throw darts at a draft board as well as Caldwell can.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

I say we let the players decide. What the worse that can happen??? Smile

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 08:46 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

I'm not gonna pretend to know much about GM candidates, because I don't. I just hope we get someone that knows what they are doing and doesn't reach on picks.

(11-24-2020, 08:45 PM)Jags Wrote: I say we let the players decide.  What the worse that can happen???  Smile

Mysterious back injuries and temper tantrums

(11-24-2020, 08:47 PM)enigma Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 08:45 PM)Jags Wrote: I say we let the players decide.  What the worse that can happen???  Smile

Mysterious back injuries and temper tantrums

More than likely

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 08:58 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-24-2020, 08:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm not gonna pretend to know much about GM candidates, because I don't. I just hope we get someone that knows what they are doing and doesn't reach on picks.

I'm not thinking an older retread; I would like an younger guy, but with experience at more than one place.  On the list the Falcons have, I'd be leaning towards the Bears guy, Champ Kelly.  Kelly was also a part of building the most recent Broncos Super Bowl teams before heading to Chicago.  The Bears overall roster is pretty good, but their QB spot is BRUTAL.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 09:01 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Rick Smith did a good job in Houston. No clue why he was actually fired. I'd give him a shot. Can't be any worse.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 08:58 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-24-2020, 08:52 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Rock Smith did a good job in Houston. No clue why he was actually fired. I'd give him a shot. Can't be any worse.

He would be my 2nd pick on that list.  I'd say no to Reggie McKenzie and the other guy from the Rams though.

(11-24-2020, 08:57 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 08:52 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Rock Smith did a good job in Houston. No clue why he was actually fired. I'd give him a shot. Can't be any worse.

He would be my 2nd pick on that list.  I'd say no to Reggie McKenzie and the other guy  from the Rams though.

It has to be someone with a track record of success, but I'm willing to take a shot on a young OC with no HC experience.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 09:07 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-24-2020, 09:01 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 08:57 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: He would be my 2nd pick on that list.  I'd say no to Reggie McKenzie and the other guy  from the Rams though.

It has to be someone with a track record of success, but I'm willing to take a shot on a young OC with no HC experience.

Not a lot of ex-GM's out there with a track record of success.  Who you thinking of?  Dimitroff from ATL?

I'd prefer a younger, but experienced, guy who has had a couple stops along the way. That's why I like that Champ Kelly from the Bears & Broncos during their Super Bowls. I've heard some interviews with him too... seems like a leader.

(11-24-2020, 08:52 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Rick Smith did a good job in Houston. No clue why he was actually fired. I'd give him a shot. Can't be any worse.

I like Rick Smith as well, but I'm hoping we don't set our expectations at "can't be any worse" for the next GM/HC.

I'd personally like to poach one of the FO heads in the Chiefs organization.

John Dorsey for me, he has already helped build a couple franchise from bottom to the top

Brandon Hunt is my number 1 choice.

How would yall feel about Daniel Jeremiah?

(11-24-2020, 09:42 PM)enigma Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 08:52 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Rick Smith did a good job in Houston. No clue why he was actually fired. I'd give him a shot. Can't be any worse.

I like Rick Smith as well, but I'm hoping we don't set our expectations at "can't be any worse" for the next GM/HC.

Ehh, anyone from the Chiefs is fools gold IMO.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 11:02 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-24-2020, 10:28 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 09:42 PM)enigma Wrote: I like Rick Smith as well, but I'm hoping we don't set our expectations at "can't be any worse" for the next GM/HC.

Ehh, anyone from the Chiefs is fools gold IMO.

Yah... I'm not a fan of "just get anyone from that team because they win".  Evaluate who was responsible for that success, how much different experience have they had, evaluate their leadership abilities... and go get THAT guy.

(11-24-2020, 10:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How would yall feel about Daniel Jeremiah?

I'd hate that one.  He never made it past a scout before he went to the media.  Was never any sort of decision-maker.  He's just a media guy, imo.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 11:12 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-24-2020, 09:01 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 08:57 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: He would be my 2nd pick on that list.  I'd say no to Reggie McKenzie and the other guy  from the Rams though.

The biggest negative about Rick Smith for me was signing Brock Osweiler to a $72 Million dollar deal.  HUGE minus there for him.

(11-24-2020, 10:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How would yall feel about Daniel Jeremiah?

I like him a lot as an analyst, but is he actually looking at becoming a GM? I wouldn't think so, especially not for this organization.