Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Generation Snowflake

Quote:The topic title says it all and something that I've been ranting about for some time.  This is our future folks.  No more clapping, you need to use "jazz hands".

Is it just me, or has the left really lost it?
Having withdrawn from a graduate program, in part, because of nonsense like what is described in this article. I agree, its way out of control. These university need a hard slap back to reality. We don't need what they are teaching.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It seems like you're being triggered an awful lot by these reports. Would you like a safe space to relax in? A nice cozy room where the world is catered to your beliefs and your opinions? Mmmhhh? A place where you won't have to deal with those no-good meddling kids with their tolerance and their 
education
Wouldn't that be nice huh? I'll even put a nice lounge chair so you can lean back and put your feet up and pretend the world isn't passing you by. 
Lol, the lefts so-called 'tolerance' and their 'education' is neither. More like making weak minded robots who don't know how to think or do anything for themselves.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Lol, the lefts so-called 'tolerance' and their 'education' is neither. More like making weak minded robots who don't know how to think or do anything for themselves.

You forgot the "dagnabit" at the end. You're getting old fast. You must be taking FBT's Get Off My Lawn 101.

They'll be a test at the end of the course.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

I didn't have an opinion either way before this summer. I just presumed that every generation thinks the next one is soft. That notion ended in June.

The civil engineering company I work for hired 10 paid college interns. I have been over all of the interns. All of the foreign kids are hard workers and complain about nothing. If they make a mistake, I guide them through the fix and they adjust accordingly.

The American kids are struggling mightily. They have issues with critical thinking and constructive criticism is taken immediately as an insult and feelings are hurt. I have had to talk to two moms over the phone about the treatment of their adult college aged children. The first phone call caused me concern because I presumed that a mom calling about a worker was a sign that some great bodily harm had happened to them. I had to explain to adults and their moms that correcting behavior is part of my job and that internships are long form interviews/tryouts for potential permanent employment.

I know that is all anecdotal but the kids and their enabling parents appear to be ill equipped for adult life.

Quote:I didn't have an opinion either way before this summer. I just presumed that every generation thinks the next one is soft. That notion ended in June.

The civil engineering company I work for hired 10 paid college interns. I have been over all of the interns. All of the foreign kids are hard workers and complain about nothing. If they make a mistake, I guide them through the fix and they adjust accordingly.

The American kids are struggling mightily. They have issues with critical thinking and constructive criticism is taken immediately as an insult and feelings are hurt. I have had to talk to two moms over the phone about the treatment of their adult college aged children. The first phone call caused me concern because I presumed that a mom calling about a worker was a sign that some great bodily harm had happened to them. I had to explain to adults and their moms that correcting behavior is part of my job and that internships are long form interviews/tryouts for potential permanent employment.

I know that is all anecdotal but the kids and their enabling parents appear to be ill equipped for adult life.

That's hilarious did the grown adults know their mothers where going to call?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:That's hilarious did the grown adults know their mothers where going to call?

Yup haha. I know because they arrived right after mom got off the phone with me.

Good story I have different one. I have spent that the last 10 years in a blue collar job long hours physical work. Watching overweight baby boomers sip coffee and talk bad about my generation yes that was a pun. Buy I ignored it because I was doing well and for the most they were lazy. But no more lazy than the baby boomers. I have been sitting on a finance degree for sometime because I left college during the melt down. Recently i got a much better job at a white collar job there are fourteen of us in training everyone us working ten to fourteen hours a day and comingin on Saturdays working dillegently and half are in there early twenties. Yes this place may be attracting better pool of talent but I've worked both white and blue collar jobs and anytime I hear someone call someone else lazy I think that person usually needs to take a long look in the mirror.
And cause I was a gazillionaire, and I liked doin it so much, I cut that grass for free.

I guess my point is from my perspective and of there will always be overachievers who this won't apply to is attitude reflects leadership.
And cause I was a gazillionaire, and I liked doin it so much, I cut that grass for free.

I don't think it's appropriate to make generalizations one way or another because of a few bad apples. However, I do think people's mindset changes when they don't have to go through any hardship growing up and everything is readily available. Then it's up to the parents to teach their kids values. Raising a child is not easy and the fact that some younger kids are failing might be a reflection of their parents.

Quote:Lol, the lefts so-called 'tolerance' and their 'education' is neither. More like making weak minded robots who don't know how to think or do anything for themselves.

Ahh yes, people who disagree with you are 'robots' and don't know how to think for themselves.  Somehow the people who agree with you have avoided this lot in life.  Funny how conservatives go on about how 'tolerant' liberals are, without understanding that tolerance does not mean tolerating intolerance.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Ahh yes, people who disagree with you are 'robots' and don't know how to think for themselves.  Somehow the people who agree with you have avoided this lot in life.  Funny how conservatives go on about how 'tolerant' liberals are, without understanding that tolerance does not mean tolerating intolerance.

Tolerance is the most overused word in our modern culture, and your last sentence is the biggest problem. It's used wrongly because it gives people the idea that they have the right or authority to choose to tolerate. Your "intolerance" doesn't grant you some magical right to force other people to stop doing whatever it is that you find intolerable. Tolerance is the expression of modern liberalism, ie I'll put up with your (thoughts, ideas, beliefs, actions) until I think you should change then you had better change or else. I don't require your tolerance, and you have no say in the matter of my intolerance.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I have many actions of recourse regarding ones intolerance.  I can speak out against it, for example.  Conservatives seem to not get that freedom of speech goes both ways.  You can say whatever you like, but that doesn't mean you are free from criticism of others.  You're free to be as intolerant as you like, but don't expect people to not call you out on it.  That's just conservatives trying to make every place a 'safe zone' that they like to call out.  We only have to respect your right to have an opinion--not your opinion itself. 

Quote:I have many actions of recourse regarding ones intolerance.  I can speak out against it, for example.  Conservatives seem to not get that freedom of speech goes both ways.  You can say whatever you like, but that doesn't mean you are free from criticism of others.  You're free to be as intolerant as you like, but don't expect people to not call you out on it.  That's just conservatives trying to make every place a 'safe zone' that they like to call out.  We only have to respect your right to have an opinion--not your opinion itself. 

You're absolutely right, you have several options, but forcing a change is not among them. That's what liberals don't get, they want to control the other person, hence your "I won't tolerate intolerance" statement and that's why it's wrong (not you personally, the misapplication of the concept).

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I've had really good results hiring Millennials, especially if they are married or in strong relationships. The responsibilities of a family create an additional acceptance of responsibility that, combined with the specific traits of the generation, lead to some real good outcomes.

We don't think we can force change.  However, we know we can speak out against it.  That's when conservatives tend to get their underwear all wadded up.  

Quote from a conservative user on here:

"The fact that we have to be politically correct or be blasted for it is the real problem, honestly."

It's funny how people who hate political correctness tend to not want to be 'blasted' for their opinions.  

Quote:I guess my point is from my perspective and of there will always be overachievers who this won't apply to is attitude reflects leadership.

I previously worked government contracts. I completely understand this because there were lazy folks of all demographics that I had to deal with. The lack of initiative went from top to bottom and drove me nuts.

As for my current situation, I am just blown away by the amount of baby sitting I have had to do with American college kids (oldest being 21) when compared to their foreign peers (same age range; two guys from Nigeria, two girls from Thailand and Jordan).

I am sure it is all situational. I am glad to hear about younger people with initiative.

Quote:As for my current situation, I am just blown away by the amount of baby sitting I have had to do with American college kids (oldest being 21) when compared to their foreign peers (same age range; two guys from Nigeria, two girls from Thailand and Jordan).
I think part of that might be confirmation bias though. If they're foreign educated but working in the US they obviously show initiative, people don't just stumble into a Nigeria to USA move.

Quote:I think part of that might be confirmation bias though. If they're foreign educated but working in the US they obviously show initiative, people don't just stumble into a Nigeria to USA move.

Nah I really didn't shake out in any direction before this summer. Like I said, I just presumed that it was just same old banter about the next generation being lazy etc.

I am hoping it is just this group because I have a new set of interns in the fall.

For more information, all of the students are attending the same university.

Quote:Yup haha. I know because they arrived right after mom got off the phone with me.

At that point just tell them interview is over go home you failed.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]