Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If you could add 1 previous player...

Tony Boselli and Mike Peterson, although Brackens would be nice too. I just love how Peterson played the game.
No commercial messages in sigs

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Interesting.... with your choice of MJD to bring back for offense. Would you say he was a better player than Fred?

Also, who is your defensive player that you would bring back?

Freddy T was amazing. So much fun to watch. Great player, and easily a top 3 Jag all time. I'll never forget his first game when he busted one for like 60 yrds and the score on one of his first touches. I was wow'd.

BUT

The team he played on VS the team MJD played on? There is no comparison.

Late 90s Jags were stacked. I think we had something like 14 players go to the pro bowl one year. A high flying offense, hard hitting defense. Freddy was the icing on the cake. So many great memories.

MJD's team of the mid 2000s? Not exactly world beaters. He was the entire offense. The heart and soul of the franchise. The face of the franchise. Yes the defense was good then too. Maybe even great. But on offense? It was MJD aka Pocket Hercules and...that's about it. Our line was pedestrian - y'all remember khalif? No passing threats to speak of. Mojo is the only thing that kept this thing going.

Also my all time favorite play is MJD's return to the 1 yard line in the playoff game in Pittsburgh. I was there. The Stillers had marched down the field 80 yards on their first possession of the game. The crowd is electric. Deafening. They kick the ball off and Mojo takes it all the way to the 1. Silence. He shut em right up. Freddy T I believe punched in from there. Set the tone for the whole game.

He's the most special player this city has ever seen. No disrespect to Freddy.

Offense: Bosselli, arguably the greatest LT in the golden age of LT's and probably the best Jag ever 

(i could also see a case for Jimmy Smith, imagine Smith & Robinson out wide with Hurns in the slot?!?! go 3-4 wide every play, no team has that depth at corner to defend that imo)

Defense: Daryl Smith, model of consistency, LB is a huge need and he can replace Poz in the middle or man the Otto, the dude could do it all. Smith in his prime changes this front 7 immensely

Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Oface, nice write up but completely wrong.

MJD was a flash in the pan whose ankles couldn't hold that frame of his.

He was smaller and slower than Freddy. No disrespect to Mojo but the kind of speed agility and quicks FreddyT had for a man his size; that's special.

Easily Fred Taylor on offense..

Id take Donavin Darius on Defense..

Quote:Oface, nice write up but completely wrong.

He was smaller and slower than Freddy. No disrespect to Mojo but the kind of speed agility and quicks FreddyT had for a man his size; that's special.

Meh. Freddy missed significant time over the years and they hardly missed a beat, getting it done with Jimmy Stewart, Banks or Natrone. Take away MJD during the JDR years and the win percentage falls off a cliff.

Offense - Boseli

Defense - Mike peterson

mind truly blown so many want Tony.. our MLB position is about to be if no already a serious serious question mark

Quote:Boselli and Brackens 

... and I don't know how anyone can come to any different conclusion. 

I agree, especially given the criterion of filling out the roster to make a Super Bowl run.

<p class="bbc_left">Education is the cheap defense of nations. - Edmund Burke

<p class="bbc_left"> 

<p class="bbc_left">Or is it from Burke? I tried finding the source, and looked through some of his writings, no luck. Anybody with google-fu got a citation of the source?

Quote:Meh. Freddy missed significant time over the years and they hardly missed a beat, getting it done with Jimmy Stewart, Banks or Natrone. Take away MJD during the JDR years and the win percentage falls off a cliff.

Are you sure you have been a Jags fan since 95? Means and Taylor never played together, Stewart and Taylor basically played one season together (99), and Banks played 14 total games over two seasons for a grand total of 222 yards and 1 TD.

Fred left after 08 since that means MJD was the man under Del Rio for the '09, '10, and '11 season with the best record being 8-8.

Just because Taylor was on stacked teams doesn't discount how good and valuable he was. I love MJD but Taylor is definitely the better player.

Quote:Boselli

Brackens
What he said

Quote:Are you sure you have been a Jags fan since 95? Means and Taylor never played together, Stewart and Taylor basically played one season together (99), and Banks played 14 total games over two seasons for a grand total of 222 yards and 1 TD.

Fred left after 08 since that means MJD was the man under Del Rio for the '09, '10, and '11 season with the best record being 8-8.

Just because Taylor was on stacked teams doesn't discount how good and valuable he was. I love MJD but Taylor is definitely the better player.

MJD had 13 rushing TDs in '06 splitting carries as a rookie. You are talking about not giving him credit until '09 for some odd reason?

Natrone was before Freddy T's time by a year or two. You are right about that. But Stewart was our first running back. He was on the team in 95. Through 99. So he played at least two seasons with Fred. Regardless we never had trouble running the ball because Thunder and Lightning set the run up - not to mention that nasty o line.

I don't necessarily think MJD is the better player. I think there are too many variables to say definitely. I do think MJD meant more to the franchise as a whole.

Freddy T and T-Brack

Quote:The OP does say only one player in which case It's Tony if you had a poll!

I see what you did there.

Hands down Tony B wins this one.

'02

Quote:Oface, nice write up but completely wrong.

Plus you have to feed MJD so he can get going. FT, on the other hand, is a threat to break out on any down, and with this team's downfield passing attack he'd be set up to break out. With FT back there, the team could really keep teams guessing.

'02

Quote:Meh. Freddy missed significant time over the years and they hardly missed a beat, getting it done with Jimmy Stewart, Banks or Natrone. Take away MJD during the JDR years and the win percentage falls off a cliff.

So we've established that FT had more talent around him, but that doesn't some how make Mojo better.

It's actually tough to compare the two because they are so diametrically different. FT avoided contact with all his juking, but he certainly wasn't afraid of contact as his running over dbs will testify. Mojo was all about contact, and he didn't even have a juke...it was more of a wiggle. Mojo would simply run forward, but he was good at that even if it meant burrying under piles. It's interesting if you compare yardage because Mojo was more consistent at piling them on, but for every 20 yards that Mojo ran, Fred typically ran 50 to gain the same amount.... except of course when he was breaking out.

That's another difference...

You don't catch Fred from behind.

'02

Quote:Offense - Boseli

Defense - Mike peterson

mind truly blown so many want Tony.. our MLB position is about to be if no already a serious serious question mark

I'm a little surprised as well with the TBrack love. I loved watching him since he began showing up on the field sacking qbs in '96. I always knew he was a special player, and in that '99 Championship Game, he was playing harder than anyone down the stretch aside from maybe Brunell. While he easily ranks as the Jaguars best and most consistent pass rusher, on a league-wide historical scale he doesn't even rank. When looking at the top 10 DEs in league history, and you get to that 10th spot, you still don't even see TBrack's name among the list of possibilities for the spot.

Contrast this to Fred Taylor (or Darius at SS)...

When looking at the top 10 RBs in league history, and you get to that 10th spot, he probably doesn't actually make it but you're seriously thinking about putting him there.

'02

Quote:So we've established that FT had more talent around him, but that doesn't some how make Mojo better.

It's actually tough to compare the two because they are so diametrically different. FT avoided contact with all his juking, but he certainly wasn't afraid of contact as his running over dbs will testify. Mojo was all about contact, and he didn't even have a juke...it was more of a wiggle. Mojo would simply run forward, but he was good at that even if it meant burrying under piles. It's interesting if you compare yardage because Mojo was more consistent at piling them on, but for every 20 yards that Mojo ran, Fred typically ran 50 to gain the same amount.... except of course when he was breaking out.

That's another difference...

You don't catch Fred from behind.

Oh, come on. No one ever caught Mojo from behind until his final season with us when the wheels were finally falling off. Freddy T got caught from behind in his golden years too.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2016, 05:37 PM by MoJagFan.)

Tony Brackens - Keep in mind he had micro fracture surgery (2003).  We are talking players in their prime and what their impact would mean to this team.  He was so disruptive.  He was the only player we had that teams had to adjust and look for overall because he was a freakish athlete.

I take Boselli because he is a generational player and you just don't get those guys.  Fred is the man and it is sad to see someone mention injuries.  To be sixteenth in rushing despite injuries tells you how great his freakish agility and speed really were for a man his size.  Bo Jackson was the other guy that was hurt by their ability.  Dude pulled his hip out of his socket.  Fred pulled his groin away making a cut.  OUch

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Fred Taylor>>> MJD, Can't believe someone actually believes otherwise.

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Also, IMO Mathis is being underrated here (that's quite weird lol). IMO there were seasons were the only CB better than him was Champ Bailey.

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23