Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cann at Center

Quote:I honestly hope neither Cann nor Linder are moved to Center. If the team has to draft a guy in the middle rounds that can perform around the same level as Wiz, then I would hope they do that. Both Cann and Linder look to be guys that can be All-Prol guards, let them keep improving there. If they are as good as they look to be they can carry a lesser center for a season. In that case a year from now the team has one of the best young interior's in the league.

Even with a tremendous interior, the OL will still be lacking due to Joekel. They really should be looking just as hard to replace him.

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Even with a tremendous interior, the OL will still be lacking due to Joekel. They really should be looking just as hard to replace him.

Sure seems like they should, but I don't get the feeling they are.   So I'm just assuming they're not going to.  

Yeah, Joke will be our LT in 16.

RT @PatMcManamon: #Browns working to restructure deal and keep center Alex Mack https://t.co/FuhwkQqFSV

Quote:Even with a tremendous interior, the OL will still be lacking due to Joekel. They really should be looking just as hard to replace him.
should take a look at jake long or another older veteran who might come semi cheap on a short contract. Then take a look at Lt next year

Also wish theyd give wiz another year at center and let cann/linder go all in at guard. Wiz is just a more reliable option imo.

??? wiz was less reliable than even the joke in 2015...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:should take a look at jake long or another older veteran who might come semi cheap on a short contract. Then take a look at Lt next year
Donald Penn is who we should go after

Quote:??? wiz was less reliable than even the joke in 2015...
Wiz is below average in the run game, but he is one of the very best pass blockers, he's only 27, and he has only missed 19 snaps in his entire career. That's pretty reliable. More than half the teams in the NFL are going to be doing worse at center than Wiz next year. 

Quote:Wiz is below average in the run game, but he is one of the very best pass blockers, he's only 27, and he has only missed 19 snaps in his entire career. That's pretty reliable. More than half the teams in the NFL are going to be doing worse at center than Wiz next year. 
He is so good that Caldwell has been openly discussing the options to replace him including moving people from other positions AKA Cann..

I don't see Wiz starting next year.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2016, 03:51 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

well that escalated quickly

Quote:He is so good that Caldwell has been openly discussing the options to replace him including moving people from other positions AKA Cann..

I don't see Wiz starting next year.
Yeah, we want to establish the run and stuff this offseason so Wiz doesn't fit with the Gus Bradley type of football team. Wiz is in the 10-15 range of starting centers though, so someone will get a quality, experienced player who is just entering his prime, will keep his quarterback upright, and will most likely do it without missing any snaps. Certainly not someone to turn your nose up at.

The fact that Caldwell has not even discussed signing wiz suggests to me he has a pretty set plan.

I honestly would not be surprised to see cann move inside shatley move to LG and linder return at right guard.

I don't know much about shately but he has made the roster 2 years running meaning they must see something in him.

Personally I would like to see us address this in fa somehow but options seems pretty limites. I wouldn't want us to use a draft pick before the 4th on a centre or guard given our needs on defense

Quote:I wouldn't want us to use a draft pick before the 4th on a centre or guard given our needs on defense
People keep saying stuff along these lines, but I really don't get the logic behind boxing ourself into a corner with the draft. 

We have Odrick, Marks, Miller, Fowler, Telvin, House, and Colvin. Everyone and their brother expects at least two (and some expect 3-4) starters from FA. Surely whoever we pick at 5 will be a starter. That should give us at least 10 players who are good starters on defense...not including guys who are still short term capable starters like Poz/Skuta/Abry. 

Now why must our needs on defense outweigh our need at C? If there is a quality interior lineman available at 38 or 69 I see no reason why they shouldn't get very strong consideration. 

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2016, 08:31 AM by The Real Marty.)

The fact is, we need a better running attack.   And we're probably not replacing Joeckel, and surely not replacing Parnell.  So if we're not making any move at Tackle, and we already have 2 good guards, how do we improve the offensive line?   It has to be by upgrading the Center.    And since it looks like Mack is going to re-sign with  the Browns, and Center is not that great in the draft, the best way to upgrade is by moving someone to Center and drafting a Guard.  

I guess I just stated the obvious.   I'm expecting either Linder or Cann to move to Center. 

Quote:Yeah, we want to establish the run and stuff this offseason so Wiz doesn't fit with the Gus Bradley type of football team. Wiz is in the 10-15 range of starting centers though, so someone will get a quality, experienced player who is just entering his prime, will keep his quarterback upright, and will most likely do it without missing any snaps. Certainly not someone to turn your nose up at.

A Gus Bradley type of football team? You mean one that wants and needs to run the ball? Something that wiz stunk at.

While this team would like to establish the running game, it's more important to not get away from what this team does well, and that's the deep pass. To execute the deep pass well, the qb needs time in the pocket. In other words, the run game is still secondary. We're just hoping it improves.

'02

Quote:Wiz is below average in the run game, but he is one of the very best pass blockers, he's only 27, and he has only missed 19 snaps in his entire career. That's pretty reliable. More than half the teams in the NFL are going to be doing worse at center than Wiz next year. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

The team really needs to put Cann at LG, hoping Linder remains healthy at RG.  If they had a better LT, and if wise improves or upgrade the Center role in FA with Mack for example the Oline should improve greatly.

I have been working my way through last seasons games starting from the first colts games when Cann got his first start. So far I have made it through the colts, Bucs, and texans games paying specific attention to Cann. So far he's been pretty impressive for his first three games as a starter.

IMO he excelled in the pass game. He is very stout against pass rushers and has a pretty good anchor. He struggled some against Watt which is no surprise but he was very good against Gerald McCoy.

He is solid in the run game, nothing spectacular or dominant but he does his job. So far there has been maybe 1 or 2 plays in the run game where he was beat or manhandled easily.

I plan on making my way through all the games so I hope to return and share more thoughts.

Some other things I've seen while watching Cann.

-Beadles: was horrible too many times last season. I honestly can't imagine the next LG doing any worse.

-Joeckel: Easily the most inconsistent guy of the starting five last season. He looks like a stud LT on many plays and like a scrubeenie on many others. It's really frustrating.

-Parnell: Great in the run game. Dude is a mauler and looks strong as an ox in the run game. Decent in pass pro, he is really tall and plays high pretty often. I've seen him struggle too often with the bull rush because of how high he plays.

-Staring OLine: It seems like everybody struggles when the defense runs games. For example, any TE or ET stunt run by the dline seems to give the guys fits and results in Bortles being hit, hurried, or sacked. As a whole this needs to be corrected to keep Blake on his feet.

Hopefully Linder will be solid at center and somebody will man the LG spot better than Beadles did. Bortles sure did get a lot and hard way too many times in just the three games I've watched so far.

"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"