Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Chargers file for relocation to Los Angeles

Quote:There's no need to fret competition for the entertainment dollar as there are plenty of entertainment dollars to go around in LA. It's posh to point out the lackadaisical attitude toward the NFL back when the Raiders and Rams left,  but consider for a second that there are entirely new generations of fans in the region. Even if the team is a perennial loser and most of the area couldn't care less about them, there would still be plenty enough fans who do care. It's simply that huge.

It's similar in New York City. You see, there's not a single county in America where the majority of its fans are Jets fans, and that team has a rather extensive history of losing, and yet they still maintain a very strong fan base.

Yet,   two teams had attendance issues in Los Angeles and that contributed to them moving in 1995.  

The Jets still have a large following in the Borough of Queens and on Long Island from their days of playing at Shea Stadium and having their Training Camp/ Training Facilities at Hofstra University.   Combining this with the Jets ownership never seriously threatening to move the team out of the New York Metropolitan area and the team being at least in the AFL/ AFC Championship Game once every decade  ( counting 2010 as part of this decade )  except the 1970s,   it's easier to see why the Jets have a very strong fan base.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Back then the Vikings owner was talking up LA and San Antonio as a possible destination for the team, but I doubt he ever had serious intentions on moving. The talk as all about gaining leverage for a new stadium, and he was ultimately successful. The Bills as of late have been doing their own talking about possibly moving to Canada.

The good news is current Bills ownership,  which also owns the Buffalo Sabres,  has discontinued the annual regular season Bills game in Toronto and is totally committed to keeping the Bills in the Buffalo area.

Quote:At one point the Bills were named (along with the Jaguars, unfortunately) as a candidate to move to Los Angeles. Then Ralph Wilson died and some idiot threatened to move the Bills to Toronto. Was that Donald Trump? LOL

If Bon Jovi would have bought the Bills,  they easily could have moved to Toronto.

The biggest question here is one nobody talks about: Why did the Raiders and Rams leave Los Angeles? Most NFL teams are able to get new stadiums without threatening to move: Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins, Seahawks, Vikings, Falcons (in progress). Bengals, Redskins, Lions, Jets, Giants, and Broncos. The Patriots and 49ers did not want to leave their respective areas; they just had nowhere to build new stadiums and needed to branch farther out. Knowing this, what went wrong that made the Rams and Raiders move out of the Los Angeles area instead of just build new stadiums there? Now they want to go back to LA. If there was some reason they did not like Los Angeles, why would they want to return this year? And what was it that they did not like about LA 21 years ago?

Quote:If Bon Jovi would have bought the Bills, they easily could have moved to Toronto.

LOL I read Bills fans boycotted Bon Jovi after he said that.

Their old stadiums were in horrible shape, but the voters wouldn't allow for new ones to be built. It was LA politics at its worst, and a new stadium is still a nearly impossible sell when it comes to city funding.

'02

Quote:Ugh, I would hate to think it was an executive order. Why would one person in the whole state of Missouri - which has two NFL teams, BTW - think it is OK to not seek congressional or voter approval for something like this?

I personally always hated the idea of using public funds for professional sports teams because their owners are billionaires. Stan Kroenke does not need a penny from the government.
Think of it this way: how much money does an NFL team bring to a city? How much exposure? What did landing the Jaguars do for Jacksonville? Suddenly, Jax wasn't that dinky little town you had to go through on your way to Orlando. What's that sort of exposure worth? If a team is going to bring millions of dollars to a city and be one of the main tourist draws in the area, shouldn't the city pitch in some help building a stadium every 30 years?

Quote:The Chargers were never LAs team although lately they've been the only team associated with southern Cal so they surely have a modicum of fan base established already.
Believe it or not, the Chargers actually originated in LA in the '60s. Doubt it has any effect on their current fan base, but I found it interesting when I first heard that.

Quote:A thought just occurred to me......with three teams trying to move to LA......that is almost 10% of the NFL teams wanting to relocate.

Is that some sort of record?

btw.....San Antonio ought to be chasing the tacks as well.
What makes people so sure that the Titans are moving?

Quote:Back then the Vikings owner was talking up LA and San Antonio as a possible destination for the team, but I doubt he ever had serious intentions on moving. The talk as all about gaining leverage for a new stadium, and he was ultimately successful. The Bills as of late have been doing their own talking about possibly moving to Canada.
I remember that guy. Red something? He only bought the Vikings to move them to LA, and when it became apparent that wasn't happening, he turned tail and sold the team. Kind of like an olden-times Stan Kroenke.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2016, 09:24 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Bender, you are just talking about the city supporting its NFL team.The discussion in this thread is about the state government paying for a new stadium. Also, my complaint was specifically not giving voters a chance but instead making them pay for something they don't want. Does anybody outside St. Louis County want to pay for a stadium there? Probably not.

I like cheese.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

The Rams relocation application to the NFL certainly reinforces my opinion that Stan Kroenke is the worst owner in the NFL and that Jacksonville and the Jaguars fan base in general is very fortunate that Shad Khan,  not Kroenke,  ended up buying the Jaguars.   The bottom line is despite Kroenke's propaganda,   the Rams have yet to have even a .500 season since Kroenke became majority owner of the Rams.   The best outcome is the Rams remain in St. Louis and that ownership committed to St. Louis will buy the Rams from Kroenke: 

http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2016-...180540.pdf

IIRC I read Stan Kronke does not like the St. Louis stadium plan. Does anybody have a link to that?

Quote:IIRC I read Stan Kronke does not like the St. Louis stadium plan. Does anybody have a link to that?

I provided the link in my previous message. 

The following is a brief response statement by the St. Louis NFL Task Force:

https://twitter.com/stlstadium/status/68...3159388160

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/Ben_Fred'>Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/Ben_Fred/status/684861652035092480' title="4:18 PM - 6 Jan 2016">7m</a>

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/Ben_Fred/status/684861652035092480' title="4:18 PM - 6 Jan 2016">7 minutes ago</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">ICYMI: My power ranking of the most ridiculous things mentioned in the Rams' relocation application <a class="" href='https://t.co/4IF7ZNtP3u' title="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/benfred-kroenke-s-scorched-earth-application-reeks-of-irony-and/article_9078928c-ac95-541d-85c4-7c116e8bf6dc.html">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/benfred-kroenke-s-scorched-earth-application-reeks-of-irony-and/article_9078928c-ac95-541d-85c4-7c116e8bf6dc.html …</a>

Quote:IIRC I read Stan Kronke does not like the St. Louis stadium plan. Does anybody have a link to that?
They could pay him $2 billion and build the stadium out of solid gold at no cost, and he still wouldn't like it. He wants LA. That's the only reason he bought the Rams in the first place.

Quote:They could pay him $2 billion and build the stadium out of solid gold at no cost, and he still wouldn't like it. He wants LA. That's the only reason he bought the Rams in the first place.

So why did the NFL let him buy the Rams?

Quote:So why did the NFL let him buy the Rams?

Well for starters, it's been blatantly obvious the NFL has wanted at least one team in LA for years now.

Quote:Well for starters, it's been blatantly obvious the NFL has wanted at least one team in LA for years now.

But the NFL just wanted a team there and still does not know if they want the Rams to be that team.

Quote:But the NFL just wanted a team there and still does not know if they want the Rams to be that team.

I'm not sure the NFL was too concerned about which team, let alone the Rams, moved to LA.

What I'm more curious to see is what Kroenke does if the Rams are not allowed to move to LA.

Quote:I'm not sure the NFL was too concerned about which team, let alone the Rams, moved to LA.

What I'm more curious to see is what Kroenke does if the Rams are not allowed to move to LA.

Good question. If the Rams are forced to stay in St. Louis, which already has a stadium plan, he is going to be one livid team owner.