Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Not on Gus

Oh for some reason I thought he had four wins, either way he had less talent in Tenn (at least most people had thought prior to the game) yet he was able to out coach Gus & Babich (at least his Offensive side - since he's an offense minded head coach & Gus is Defensive)...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Well to be fair you can't get out coached by the Titans and their coaching carousel.

No pain, no gain.

Quote:JDR would've had this team clinched for the playoffs already. He gave up on his team because they SUCKED and we were starting guys from the streets. Thanks to Jeans Miff.
^This

Quote:JDR would've had this team clinched for the playoffs already. He gave up on his team because they SUCKED and we were starting guys from the streets. Thanks to Jeans Miff.
I disagree. JDR would have this team at 8-4 right now only to lose the remaining four games finish .500 and just miss the playoffs. Say what you want about how bad Gus is, I won't argue with you about that, JDR had his time to lead this team and couldn't get the job done regardless of circumstances. Let it go.

"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:I disagree. JDR would have this team at 8-4 right now only to lose the remaining four games finish .500 and just miss the playoffs. Say what you want about how bad Gus is, I won't argue with you about that, JDR had his time to lead this team and couldn't get the job done regardless of circumstances. Let it go.
I'll take 8-4 over 4-8

Quote:I'll take 8-4 over 4-8

Well he's currently 5-7 with a similar Raiders roster.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Well to be fair you can't get out coached by the Titans and their coaching carousel.

Apparently you can because it happened on Sunday.

The Jags had twice as many wins as the tacks, had better overall talent, especially on offense, and had just beaten them a few weeks ago.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:I disagree. JDR would have this team at 8-4 right now only to lose the remaining four games finish .500 and just miss the playoffs. Say what you want about how bad Gus is, I won't argue with you about that, JDR had his time to lead this team and couldn't get the job done regardless of circumstances. Let it go.

Yeah, JDR had his time here.

He might still be around if he got to face this current AFCS instead of the one with prime Peyton Manning and Steve McNair, both of which made it to the Super Bowl.

JDR still had 3 winning seasons (including 2 of double digit wins) and two 8-8 seasons in his 9 years here and led the Jags to the playoffs in 2 of those years.

JDR's worst season here was 5-11. Gus should at least be able to match that this season.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/jax/

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

I don't think JDR was ever a bad coach here, just mediocre, which is why he got such a long time to try and break through. I think he probably also benefitted from a few years off learning behind John Fox. 

This is on Gus ... No second half adjustments...Isnt this guy a defensive minded coach??? Gus will be fired ...

Quote:Well he's currently 5-7 with a similar Raiders roster.
5-7 in the AFC West is better than 4-8 in the AFC South.

Even with a better pass rush, a stud FS and a MLB that is good in coverage - this scheme leaves the middle of the field open for the taking. 

I can't help but wonder exactly how much better this scheme would really work with those three things fixed. 

Would we only give up 350 yds to a two win team? 

I'm over this soft zone garbage that lets receivers and TEs run wild over the middle. Over it. 

Quote:Funny thing is, you guys are saying the scheme would be great, we just dont have the players for it...then why are we running a scheme today that we don't have the players for? Seems like poor coaching because you're not putting your players in a position to succeed. .

Telvin is a tackling machine. Why run him into a blocker on important downs? Colvin is one of our best DBs. You really need him covering somebody and not trying to break the world record for sacks from a DB.

There's only so much you can do when your pass rushers consist of Andre Branch and Chris Clemons.

Point in case, if we don't blitz telvin on that third down, guess who tackles Mariota before he runs across the entire field?

I mean isn't that exactly what y'all wanted him to do? Blitz the qb, right? I mean it's obviously so simple.

If it has been identified that we do not have the personnel to run the defensive scheme that Gus Bradley wants to run then it is on the coach to adjust to the personnel that we do have. His statement basically confirms that he doesn't know anything else and that he does not have the answers. What he has done all year is tried to force a square peg into a round hole. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. It's just like Myers, none of us should be shocked or disappointed any longer when he misses and XP. That's what he does and has been doing. He leads the league in missed extra points. The answer is to change kickers if you want a different result.

Quote:I have to disagree...what injuries? Fowler and Marks? Fowler was going to be an unproven rookie. I'm sure he'd help but he wouldn't probably impact our wins/losses. Marks is decent but this roster this year has been one of the healthiest is many seasons in my opinions.

Jags fans are so used to sucking really bad that we make these lame excuses. Good teams lose key players and still find ways to win (just look at the QBs we have faced this season!). Bradley is a bad coach who doesn't know how to get the most out of his team, period. Nice guy, bad coach!
Wise words...

Starting to look like ur correct...

Problem is....all we can do us speculate about all of the what ifs

Quote:Even with a better pass rush, a stud FS and a MLB that is good in coverage - this scheme leaves the middle of the field open for the taking. 

I can't help but wonder exactly how much better this scheme would really work with those three things fixed. 

Would we only give up 350 yds to a two win team? 

I'm over this soft zone garbage that lets receivers and TEs run wild over the middle. Over it. 

When your philosophy is to cover space and ignore players, it's never gonna work.  Our philosophy is what destroys this D. 

Our CBs and LB'ers are not so bad as to be exposed like this from a team that has weak WRs and only a TE that makes plays.  This is schematic breakdown.  

There aren't any shortcuts.  Gus's scheme has worked well in certain games.  The run defense is solid.  We have CBs that can play man coverage, which is a big part of the scheme.  But the scheme relies on an effective pass rush from the 4 DL.  The pass rush was much better with a healthy Marks in the game.  His relentless push up the middle would often send the play right to an unsuspecting Branch or Clemons for a cheap sack.  

But there's no help on the way this season.  Gus can't do anything about the injuries or the lack of talent.  He's been trying to find ways to generate a pass rush without exposing the back end - it's not that easy.  They weren't getting home even rushing 6 or 7. 

In the offseason we're gonna need some new blood at LB and Leo, and still need to find a playmaker at FS.  Another good CB wouldn't hurt.  If Dave can land a great player in FA, like CB Josh Gordon or a good pass rusher, that would allow a lot of flexibility in the draft.  We need Marks and Fowler, but we need other good players at their positions, too.  Time to stack up talent on the defensive side.    

As for NOT ON GUS, I agree that most of the losses are still due to youth and inexperience - WR drops vs Carolina, Jason Myers misses, Cory Grant fumble, Blake Bortles INTs, Nick Marshall fumble, Jason Myers misses...first and 2nd year players costing us games with key mistakes.  Until the defense is fixed, this team has a small margin for mistakes.  But even with this leaky D, a few plays here or there and the Jags would be .500. 

NOT ON GUS and give Gus another year to complete the vision.  They are building for long-term success.  Still need a few more bricks but the wall is gonna be solid. 

Quote:Funny thing is, you guys are saying the scheme would be great, we just dont have the players for it...then why are we running a scheme today that we don't have the players for? Seems like poor coaching because you're not putting your players in a position to succeed. . 
This is the winner for me. The real problem is what do we have the players for then in terms of scheme? We get burned when we blitz, burned when we zone, idk if we play man that often... Either way part of your job as HC/DC is to play to your players strengths, and I highly doubt Gus is doing that with his deep cover 3. When I see us rush 3 and drop 8 I cringe. We can't get home with 5 consistently, yet we only rush 3. Mind boggling,  our defense is. /Yoda.

Quote:There aren't any shortcuts.  Gus's scheme has worked well in certain games.  The run defense is solid.  We have CBs that can play man coverage, which is a big part of the scheme.  But the scheme relies on an effective pass rush from the 4 DL.  The pass rush was much better with a healthy Marks in the game.  His relentless push up the middle would often send the play right to an unsuspecting Branch or Clemons for a cheap sack.  

But there's no help on the way this season.  Gus can't do anything about the injuries or the lack of talent.  He's been trying to find ways to generate a pass rush without exposing the back end - it's not that easy.  They weren't getting home even rushing 6 or 7. 

In the offseason we're gonna need some new blood at LB and Leo, and still need to find a playmaker at FS.  Another good CB wouldn't hurt.  If Dave can land a great player in FA, like CB Josh Gordon or a good pass rusher, that would allow a lot of flexibility in the draft.  We need Marks and Fowler, but we need other good players at their positions, too.  Time to stack up talent on the defensive side.    

As for NOT ON GUS, I agree that most of the losses are still due to youth and inexperience - WR drops vs Carolina, Jason Myers misses, Cory Grant fumble, Blake Bortles INTs, Nick Marshall fumble, Jason Myers misses...first and 2nd year players costing us games with key mistakes.  Until the defense is fixed, this team has a small margin for mistakes.  But even with this leaky D, a few plays here or there and the Jags would be .500. 

NOT ON GUS and give Gus another year to complete the vision.  They are building for long-term success.  Still need a few more bricks but the wall is gonna be solid. 
And then there is the other side of that coin. A few plays here and there and we are 1-10. Not a good sign really, but I guess most of the NFL is like this, but 1-10 would spell what? 8-35 for Gus currently? Even if we split the remainder of the season he has 13 wins in 3 seasons and 35 losses. If we lost out its 11-37. If we win out its still 15-33, .454 win percentage at best in 3 seasons(averaging 5-11 per year). Yuck.