Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can we succeed with Yeldon and Ivory?

Quote:In the frame of one off-season I'd much rather allocate resources to the line over the backs.

Then re-evaluate the backs next year.

We may be focusing our attention to the QB position next year. I really don't wanna end the 2017 season needing a QB and a RB, especially since I really don't see any RB's returning this coming season that I'm all that impressed with. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:We may be focusing our attention to the QB position next year. I really don't wanna end the 2017 season needing a QB and a RB, especially since I really don't see any RB's returning this coming season that I'm all that impressed with.

RB would be way way down my positional list of things to be concerned with. You can find a capable RB in virtually any of the first 4 rounds of most drafts.

Quote:RB would be way way down my positional list of things to be concerned with. You can find a capable RB in virtually any of the first 4 rounds of most drafts.

i wish people would stop saying that nonsense.

first of all, that can be said for every position.

secondly.. we have tried getting a RB.. two big time free agents in Toby and Ivory, 2nd round pick in Yeldon, as well as late round picks Denard Robinson and Storm Johnson.

It's clearly not as easy to find a RB as you think it is.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I don't believe so. I've been waffling back and forth over who I would want at 4 but after watching Fournette a bunch on youtube, I remembered what a freak he is. 

He reminds me of Earl Campbell, the sheer violence of his game is unbelievable to me.  Once he is healed up, his speed will return, not that he is slow now.

I think our team needs an identity and we don't have a quarterback that is going to win us many games on his own. Give me Fournette and I am sticking to it.

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

Quote: 

LOL. Sure it is. 

All of those Jags RBs you listed except maybe Storm would do fine if they'd stayed healthy and had a line that wasn't complete garbage. 

Not sure why so many people are fine just ignoring the plethora of backs that were drafted after the 3rd round that have done very well in the NFL in the past decade. It's not a small number. 

Feel free to peruse:  http://drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/rb

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017, 11:07 PM by Samjag904.)

I hear the argument that we can get a quality running back in the later rounds, and I agree, I don't really think Dalvin Cook is worth a 4 pick on a player that won't be on the field for pass protection and probably won't even be a go-to for 3rd and short or goal line. 

This boils down to how special you think Fournette is. That is an every down back, he is better than Peterson coming out. All Day isn't a pass catcher, never got over 40 catches in a year, and the Vikings take him out on passing downs for someone who can block.  Fournette is more complete than AP when AP came out of OU---there I said it. 

If you think he is the kind of once in 10 years talent that I do, I think you take him. You will find good runningbacks in the later rounds, but this isn't Alfred Morris, this is Earl Campbell or Adrian Peterson. There just isn't any comparison to him in the later rounds. 

[Image: leonard-fournette-running-over-auburn.gif?w=1000]

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

Quote:LOL. Sure it is. 

All of those Jags RBs you listed except maybe Storm would do fine if they'd stayed healthy and had a line that wasn't complete garbage. 

Not sure why so many people are fine just ignoring the plethora of backs that were drafted after the 3rd round that have done very well in the NFL in the past decade. It's not a small number. 

Feel free to peruse:  http://drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/rb

you can do that with every single position.  try again

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I get the desire to try to find the next AP or Freddie T, I really do.  I just think that doing that before getting your line up to even a halfway decent level of blocking is a fool's errand.  

Drafting a RB in the top ten is a luxury for teams with a decent line and a roster that doesn't have as many holes as the current Jags situation. 

Especially when there is such a precedent for productive RBs in mid and late rounds. 

Quote:I get the desire to try to find the next AP or Freddie T, I really do.  I just think that doing that before getting your line up to even a halfway decent level of blocking is a fool's errand.  

Drafting a RB in the top ten is a luxury for teams with a decent line and a roster that doesn't have as many holes as the current Jags situation. 

Especially when there is such a precedent for productive RBs in mid and late rounds. 
If we want to address O-line in the first round we either gotta trade back (im okay with this), or we end up reaching for someone like Cam Thomas (not cool). I think we can have our cake and eat it too. We got Albert and Linder, if we can land a Zeitler or Warford or both and use a pick in 2-5 to get one more, I think we are set. 

I see the danger there that you do. LSU's Oline was total garbage and Fournette had pretty crappy games against Alabama as a result, but we ran the ball better at the end of last year and we can get the players in here to do this right this year. 

Quote:I get the desire to try to find the next AP or Freddie T, I really do.  I just think that doing that before getting your line up to even a halfway decent level of blocking is a fool's errand.  

i say if you are pretty sure you are looking at an elite RB, you take him.  If you have an elite player that can have the ball 20+ times/game, you don't pass that up.  We have not been able to have a decent running game in years.  Yes, the run blocking has not been good - but there have been plenty of holes opened up that these bums just can't take advantage of.  

I definitely don't think you should overdraft for anyone - I just think it's wrong to think that finding a RB is easy.  It is not.   If you're saying "running the ball is easy with a really good offensive line and great QB" then I might agree - but we don't have a good QB and may just have an average line at best.  

It would help to have a guy that can run inside, outside, break a long run for a TD - outrun a DB, etc.  We have none of that.

Quote:If we want to address O-line in the first round we either gotta trade back (im okay with this), or we end up reaching for someone like Cam Thomas (not cool). I think we can have our cake and eat it too. We got Albert and Linder, if we can land a Zeitler or Warford or both and use a pick in 2-5 to get one more, I think we are set. 

I see the danger there that you do. LSU's Oline was total garbage and Fournette had pretty crappy games against Alabama as a result, but we ran the ball better at the end of last year and we can get the players in here to do this right this year. 
If they land a top tier FA lineman it will make it somewhat easier to draft a back early, but it still depends what defenders are on the board at #4 for me. 

Fournette's cut-ups scream of a guy who gets swallowed up at the L.O.S. if he doesn't have a crease.  I don't want to waste a pick that early on a guy like that unless I know my line will give him a crease. 

Any word if we are doing that Zone blocking scheme again? I'd like to see Fullback on the field if we get Fournette. His biggest weakness that I have seen is that he hits the wrong hole too often, Peterson did this a lot too. If you have the Fullback leading the way, there is less guesswork for the back. It isn't as uncommon in the modern game as people make it out to be either, Arian Foster and Vontae Leech did that for years. 

Quote:Any word if we are doing that Zone blocking scheme again? I'd like to see Fullback on the field if we get Fournette. His biggest weakness that I have seen is that he hits the wrong hole too often, Peterson did this a lot too. If you have the Fullback leading the way, there is less guesswork for the back. It isn't as uncommon in the modern game as people make it out to be either, Arian Foster and Vontae Leech did that for years. 

someone's been watching that youtube cut-up ... at least give the guy credit for your thoughts

Quote:You don't want McCaffrey in on every down, he can be a great player, but he needs to be in a two-back system
mccaffrey averaged about 25 carries for stanford and was pretty much their every down guy.

I like yeldon way more than you guys do. The line was trash last year. Ivory fumbles too much for me

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2017, 12:30 AM by Samjag904.)

Quote:someone's been watching that youtube cut-up ... at least give the guy credit for your thoughts
He's captain obvious, even the commentators in the game say this. but sure, I would recommend watching it. 

Quote:i wish people would stop saying that nonsense.

secondly.. we have tried getting a RB.. two big time free agents in Toby and Ivory, 2nd round pick in Yeldon, as well as late round picks Denard Robinson and Storm Johnson.

His sentence should have been prefaced with "If you don't have one of the worst GMs of all time, you can find a capable RB in virtually any of the first 4 rounds of most drafts."

It would have been accurate then.

Quote: 

[Image: leonard-fournette-running-over-auburn.gif?w=1000]
Remember when I said LSU called a hugely inordinate amount of sweeps and tosses to help Fournette get the momentum he needs cause he lacks explosion? 

Also, a lot of college RBs rip off dominant runs when the other team is demoralized like in a 24-7 second half game. The effort level wasn't quite there on that play. 

For me...it's all speculation.

That's the hardest part for the gm too.

Just because a guy does well before he comes to ur team means nothing.

I just don't see yeldon doing well at all unless there's a decent hole for him to run through

Quote:i wish people would stop saying that nonsense.

Sure, with maybe half the frequency.