Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can we succeed with Yeldon and Ivory?

A year ago, a lot of us were really hopeful that Ivory could be the battering ram and Yeldon would add the finesse to our running game and that it could be a success (finally).

Now we are talking about drafting every name in the draft.

But should we?

Can we get success from Ivory and Yeldon? And if not, why not?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No, we cannot succeed with them. Ivory's best days are behind him and he was a one dimensional, short yardage back anyway. Yeldon is just flat out what I believed he always was, a bust. He is a finesse runner who lacks vision and runs up the back of his blockers, falling down on first contact. Why the front office chose him from all of those runners in a class of really good RB's will always baffle me. 

Fix the line and all will be well no matter who is back there. Ivory and Yeldon ain't dynamic by any means but they can be effective, as they shown in the past. Think we had the 4th best rushing attack over the second half of the season (could be wrong), once we took out Olson's awful long developing runs out we improved.

Hackett had the Bills run for 144 yards a game in 2013 with a 32 year old Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller. Get us another guard and maybe a tackle and the line is good enough. I'm all for picking up another running back somewhere but it all really depends on the line.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017, 05:33 AM by JackCity.)

Ivory wasn't a one dimensional short yardage back when he played for the jets in 2015, 2014 or 2013. He played great during one of the saints playoff games too. Has had a touchdown run of 40+ in 6 different seasons too.

JagsFanJay with another bad take.

Ivory is legit but needs running room. Just like fournette will need.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

I think we need to get rid of Ivory so he doesn't give Tom a heart attack after his 5th fumble halfway through the season.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017, 07:13 AM by irontrooper83.)

We can, just improve the Oline and we'll be ok, not dominant but fine enough to win games. Get one from third round onwards in the draft.

What we can't overcome is bad QB play and that's my main worry at this point.

Quote:Ivory wasn't a one dimensional short yardage back when he played for the jets in 2015, 2014 or 2013. He played great during one of the saints playoff games too. Has had a touchdown run of 40+ in 6 different seasons too.

JagsFanJay with another bad take.

Pulling stats out of nowhere, without any explanation. Typical. He is a one dimensional back, because he doesn't generate his own big plays. He needs a clear pathway fro blockers because he lacks the breakaway speed, agility and footwork to make big plays on his own. He's not going to make anyone miss and he's certainly not going to break away from defenders. LeGarrette Blount has nine 40+ yard runs in his career, but I don't think anyone is gonna consider him a complete RB either. He's as one dimensional as Ivory is, he's just better at the power game. We need a complete RB and there are more than one in this draft.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017, 07:18 AM by JackCity.)

Quote:Pulling stats out of nowhere, without any explanation. Typical. He is a one dimensional back, because he doesn't generate his own big plays. He needs a clear pathway fro blockers because he lacks the breakaway speed, agility and footwork to make big plays on his own. He's not going to make anyone miss and he's certainly not going to break away from defenders. LeGarrette Blount has nine 40+ yard runs in his career, but I don't think anyone is gonna consider him a complete RB either. He's as one dimensional as Ivory is, he's just better at the power game. We need a complete RB and there are more than one in this draft.
Read the posts man. As I said, Ivory isn't that dynamic but calling a one dimensional short yardage back is selling short what he has done as a running back. Blount is much more than a short yardage back too. The issue isn't with the one dimensional part.

You don't average 4.5 yards per carry simply by being a short yardage back.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017, 07:41 AM by Caldrac.)

Quote:A year ago, a lot of us were really hopeful that Ivory could be the battering ram and Yeldon would add the finesse to our running game and that it could be a success (finally).

Now we are talking about drafting every name in the draft.

But should we?

Can we get success from Ivory and Yeldon? And if not, why not?

Anything is possible. We saw last year when Hackett inherited the offensive play calling that we actually had some running ability. Personally, my only concern with Ivory is ball security and health concerns. Ivory only started 1 game last year officially and played in 11. And Yeldon missed a game or two as well. The YPC average has to get better. 3.6 - 3.8 won't cut it. I'd like to see that eclipse the 4.0 mark in 2017 regardless of whose carrying the football. 

As far as the "eye test". Yeldon doesn't really stand out. The problem I see with him is that he dances too much in the backfield with a left and right approach. He's not Fred Taylor. And he needs to stop trying to play like him. He's honestly a Rashad Jennings type RB at best. Ivory has the right approach at times. Just needs to secure the ball better like I cited earlier and manage to stay healthy. 

With that said. If Coughlin and Co. deems Dalvin Cook or Leonard Fournette the BAP on the board at number four. You won't hear any issues out of me about that selection. Same in round two if for whatever reason a player like Christian McCaffrey or Alvin Kamara stand out to the front office and they feel they can do better with one of them on the roster. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Can the Jags succeed with Ivory and Yeldon?

Not imo. Ivory still has some gas in the tank but needs to stay healthy. Yeldon imo was a huge reach and a bust.

Obviously the line needs to improve, a RB needs to be drafted and a true FB would really help.

Quote:Read the posts man. As I said, Ivory isn't that dynamic but calling a one dimensional short yardage back is selling short what he has done as a running back. Blount is much more than a short yardage back too. The issue isn't with the one dimensional part.

You don't average 4.5 yards per carry simply by being a short yardage back.

When I say short yardage back, I'm referring to the fact that you basically have to take him off the field in longer yardage situations (5+ yards). You don't have to do that with guys like Elliott, A.P., either of the running backs from Atlanta, DeMarco Murray, LeVeon Bell or several others around the league. We don't need a situational RB. We need an all purpose runner and we don't have one on the roster. I believe there are those types of runners in this draft. We must find one.

If anyone thinks Le'veon Bell or Zeke would change our running game drastically, I believe you are sadly mistaken.  Outside of Barry Sanders every running back needs good OL play to have success. 

We can if the QB play improves, but Ivory fumbled too much last see for my liking and TJ bounces around without going anywhere.

If last season is any indication? Not a chance.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:We can if the QB play improves, but Ivory fumbled too much last see for my liking and TJ bounces around without going anywhere.
The lack of any semblance of a running game is the reason the QB play suffered IMO. Agree with the second half of your statement.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

In my opinion, my very strong opinion, The blocking is much more important than the running. So yes we will have great success with those two if we get an offensive line in front of them.

The most frustrating thing with the last four years of rebuilding was our failure to build an offensive line.

That's the wrong question, the right one is "Can Yeldon and Ivory be successful with us?"

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Depends on Ivory's return from multiple injuries, but yes, I think Ivory/Yeldon when healthy could combine for 1600 yards or so behind a marginally better line. 

Of course - I do think that Cough-Arrone-Well will (and should) add another RB in the draft -  and I think they'll have some gadget stuff for Grant up their sleeve as well. 

I think Ivory will surprise the folks that have prematurely written him off. 

They've shown me nothing which is why I'd like to nab Fournette with the 4th pick or McCaffrey/Kamara in 2nd.  D'Onta Foreman could be intriguing in the 4th.  Nobody else interests me.