Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who is the most shockingly drafted Jaguar player?

Quote:People keep saying Alualu but Alualu is still with the team and some of the more accepted picks have been out of the league for years. This amuses me.

It's amusing but it's the truth. Tyson Alualu has turned out to be Renaldo Wynn 2.0 for our franchise. He's not a bad player but he's not a great player. He's just a guy. Luckily for him he's a good family man that's kept his faith in God strong and his nose clean off the field. He's a worker. Not his fault Gene Smith over drafted him by a good 20 - 30 selections. 

At the time most analysts were scratching their heads on this selection. Especially when we passed on the likes of Jason Pierre-Paul (A pass rusher we were all clamoring for just a week ago before he was tagged) & Derrick Morgan both of which have more than double the career sack total of Tyson Alualu. And these were two players highly rated and graded as no brainer top twenty overall players of the 2010 class. 

We passed on Earl Thomas, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Dez Bryant & Maurkice Pouncey as well. All of whom would have fit a need at the time at a high level or have now made multiple pro bowl's (With the exception of Davis. Still a solid RT) or played on superbowl caliber rosters at one point in their careers. 

Because of his high character though and occasional tick on the stat sheet here and there with a play in the backfield he's managed to maintain his spot on the roster. And you can honestly chomp that up to poor personnel decisions between the draft and free agency. Alualu is still here because of the ineptitude of this front office to find anyone more fitting to replace him. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Matt Jones blew up the combine that year using one hand and ran a coked up 40

Matt was the Vernon gholston of his draft lol gotta be alualu just cause who seen that coming if we are talking about most shocking gotta be a 1st round pick an he's the biggest no name 1st rounder we've ever had

The drafting of Matt Jones was stunning to me. Many mocks I had seen at the time projected him as a 2nd-3rd round project.

The first time I heard Tyson Alualu's name was when the commish announced the Jaguars pick. Never heard of him, so that shocked me a bit.

Blake Bortles was stunning because the Jaguars did such a good job convincing everybody they were not drafting a QB in round one that year. I thought we were going to go with Sammy Watkins and then Zach Mettenberger in round two. The Bortles pick threw me.

I have a feeling this year could be a bit surprising.

Quote:I was pretty shocked Fowler was drafted, especially with Leonard Williams sitting there.

I totally agree. I read this topic and that was the first thing into my head. When Williams fell to us I was having a wet dream, then I just hear 'The Jags select Dante Fowler, DE, Florida.' Everyone in the stadium went nuts except me, I felt like we got robbed, then the jets take Williams 3 picks later with great value easily worth a top 5 pick unlike Jr.

Quote:I totally agree. I read this topic and that was the first thing into my head. When Williams fell to us I was having a wet dream, then I just hear 'The Jags select Dante Fowler, DE, Florida.' Everyone in the stadium went nuts except me, I felt like we got robbed, then the jets take Williams 3 picks later with great value easily worth a top 5 pick unlike Jr.

Same. I was hoping for Amari Cooper or Leonard Williams there too. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017, 10:51 AM by DangerousBoy.)

You know what is really sad? The fact that we can't come to a consensus on the most shocking drafted jaguars player. We've had so many bad draft picks...

Honestly all of these picks have an argument for the most shocking:

RJ Soward

Matt Jones

Reggie Williams

Tyson Alualu

"Knowledge is power, guard it well."

1. Alualu

2. Gabbert

3. Anger

Notice the trend? Gene Smith was a bum.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Matt Jones wasnt a bad player though, ultimately he didn't love football and had a drug problem. I remember they called him a TE when he was selected .

So when there is a whif that a guy doesn't love football, it matters

Quote:People keep saying Alualu but Alualu is still with the team and some of the more accepted picks have been out of the league for years. This amuses me.

So? Ryan Sims was drafted 6th overall in 2001 by Kansas and played 9 seasons. He had 8 sacks. Sometimes bad players stay on teams.

Alualu is a mediocre player drafted two rounds too high. That's kind of shocking. 

Tyson Alualu in the first round by far!!!!!

Anger was a super surprise in any round. 

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

What's shocking is that Alualu has outperformed Justin Blackmon and RJ Soward combined.

No one would have made that bet.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I think most people are referring to how shocked they were when he was drafted in the FIRST round... Not how his playing career been. We all know that's been mediocre at best..

Quote:Tysons alualu

In the spot he was taken in,  without a doubt the most shocking Jaguars draft selection on this end in the 22 drafts the franchise has participated in.

I smashed my laptop and coffee table in a drunken rage when Alualu was picked.

Quote:I smashed my laptop and coffee table in a drunken rage when Alualu was picked.

Take things a lil too far, do ya?
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Take things a lil too far, do ya?

Maybe a little overboard.....

I remember everyone in the room saying "who?" all at once.

But hey, he turned out to be a pretty good possibility at fullback many years later.

[Image: ncb_fonzshockers2_ms_400x600.jpg]

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:[Image: ncb_fonzshockers2_ms_400x600.jpg]

I always like Wichita State as my Cinderella team in the big dance..

In terms of damage to the franchise , I think the biggest bust has to be Gabbert by far. Look at the players drafted around him, tons of all-pros.