Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaching candidates? (merged coaching threads)

(01-10-2021, 10:45 PM)JAGs Nation Wrote: I think the Jags should wait and see if the Eagles fire Doug Peterson before making a decision.

Was 2018 and 2019 not enough for everyone to endure? That locker room is so toxic, and it's almost completely on him. The rift with Wentz. The tank, and the rift that has caused not only with Hurts, but everyone else on the squad that figured they had a chance.

I do not want anyone who is going to bring that kind of stink back into our locker room. One purge was enough, TYVM

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Any chance we can do this right and hire a GM first?
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(01-11-2021, 09:49 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Any chance we can do this right and hire a GM first?

We can hope but I think that's a ship that's sailed.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-11-2021, 09:49 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Any chance we can do this right and hire a GM first?

Khan has said he wants to hire both HC and GM at the same time.  

I think if we hire Urban Meyer, they could have an agreement in place while they finish the GM search.  Then announce both at the same time.

Have any of these rumored names that are linked with Urban's potential staff had NFL coaching experience?

It's seriously starting to look like we're going to have an entire HC and staff full of zero NFL people. I am not comfortable with that.

We're talking about Shad  Khan and the Jaguars. No. We hardly do anything right.

At least hopefully we will not hire recycled coaches. Fresh air.

How do we know a GM hasn't already been hired? People love to think they know exactly what's going on based on media reports. Truth is, none of us do. As far as HC goes,  if Lawrence were to bust, any HC would have trouble succeeding at that point. Khan has already said he wants to announce them at the same time.  Let's just wait and see.  I don't care who it is. NONE of them are a sure thing.

(01-11-2021, 12:05 PM)IndestructibleJag Wrote: How do we know a GM hasn't already been hired? People love to think they know exactly what's going on based on media reports. Truth is, none of us do. As far as HC goes,  if Lawrence were to bust, any HC would have trouble succeeding at that point. Khan has already said he wants to announce them at the same time.  Let's just wait and see.  I don't care who it is. NONE of them are a sure thing.

Bingo Bango..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I dont know much on the GM side anymore or scrutinize sports the same way as I did when I was in my 20's. I just really hope we can nail this and harvest a real opportunity.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

An opinion question ( s ) comes to mind about a coach that I haven't seen mentioned in any relatively recent discussions in the Forum, regarding the Jaguars HC discussion.

This morning the Lions interviewed Saints Assistant HC / TE Coach Dan Campbell for the team's HC opening. Campbell was the Dolphins interim HC in 2015. To the best of my knowledge, no other team in this coaching cycle has requested an interview with Campbell for their HC opening .

The questions are would you want the Jaguars to interview Dan Campbell for their HC opening? If yes, approximately where would you put him on your Jags HC preference list?

Doug Pederson just became available.... not sure I want him though
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(01-11-2021, 03:04 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Doug Pederson just became available.... not sure I want him though

Hard pass after the mess he created in Philly. Went from SB to creating the most toxic locker room in the NFL

(01-11-2021, 03:06 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 03:04 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Doug Pederson just became available.... not sure I want him though

Hard pass after the mess he created in Philly. Went from SB to creating the most toxic locker room in the NFL

Agreed. 

Any NFL team looking for a HC would be making an enormous mistake if they hired Doug Pederson as HC this winter. The Eagles had to move on.

well, it's been all day almost
If Urban was the guy ...wouldn't we know by now?
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2021, 05:09 PM by Brett.)

Article put out by John Reid of the Florida Times-Union today said the following:

"If the Jaguars don't announce their new head coach hire by Friday, it's possible they could wait until late next week after this Monday's Martin Luther King Day holiday and Wednesday's Inauguration, according to a person close to the situation."

(01-11-2021, 03:21 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 03:06 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Hard pass after the mess he created in Philly. Went from SB to creating the most toxic locker room in the NFL

Agreed. 

Any NFL team looking for a HC would be making an enormous mistake if they hired Doug Pederson as HC this winter. The Eagles had to move on.

In a rare instance, I strongly disagree with you, D6.

Pederson checks way too many boxes for him to be anything other than the highest choice at this point.

1.  He has had proven, recent NFL success.  He won the freaking Super Bowl for the 2017 season.  Newsflash:  That is the main thing missing from the Jaguars.

2.  He is an offensive guy.  Everyone says they want an offensive guy here.  He is from the Andy Reid coaching tree.He played QB under Reid.

3.  He has a proven recent history of developing QBs.  He developed Carson Wentz into an MVP candidate in 2017.  He got a Super Bowl title out of Nick Foles.

4.  He knows he needs a strong defensive coordinator.  He hired Jim Schwartz when he was with the Eagles in the first place.  With Schwartz sitting out this year, he knows he will need a strong defensive mind to make the team balanced.
5.  He knows how to utilize the TE in the offense.  Our Jaguars have never really had anything close to a dominant receiving threat at TE in our history.

Even if you blame the Eagles subsequent collapse entirely on him (from what I've read, there is plenty of blame to go around), his tenure with the Eagles exceeds every coach here.  If he were to replicate his tenure here in its entirety, I'd take it because we'd win a Super Bowl.  But if we protect Lawrence, better, we get more from him than the Eagles got from Wentz.  Lurie's own words"  "Pederson did not deserve to be fired."

Pederson's availability changes everything.

Go bring him in, Khan.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2021, 06:11 PM by Brett.)

(01-11-2021, 06:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 03:21 PM)D6 Wrote: Agreed. 

In a rare instance, I strongly disagree with you, D6.

Pederson checks way too many boxes for him to be anything other than the highest choice at this point.

1.  He has had proven, recent NFL success.  He won the freaking Super Bowl for the 2017 season.  Newsflash:  That is the main thing missing from the Jaguars.

2.  He is an offensive guy.  Everyone says they want an offensive guy here.  He is from the Andy Reid coaching tree.He played QB under Reid.

3.  He has a proven recent history of developing QBs.  He developed Carson Wentz into an MVP candidate in 2017.  He got a Super Bowl title out of Nick Foles.

4.  He knows he needs a strong defensive coordinator.  He hired Jim Schwartz when he was with the Eagles in the first place.  With Schwartz sitting out this year, he knows he will need a strong defensive mind to make the team balanced.
5.  He knows how to utilize the TE in the offense.  Our Jaguars have never really had anything close to a dominant receiving threat at TE in our history.

Even if you blame the Eagles subsequent collapse entirely on him (from what I've read, there is plenty of blame to go around), his tenure with the Eagles exceeds every coach here.  If he were to replicate his tenure here in its entirety, I'd take it because we'd win a Super Bowl.  But if we protect Lawrence, better, we get more from him than the Eagles got from Wentz.  Lurie's own words"  "Pederson did not deserve to be fired."

Go bring him in, Khan.

Not saying I agree or disagree with the decision to look into Pederson but another thing to add to your argument is this:

Wentz has been known to have a controversial, if not diva side to him...it's been reported over the past few years now. Obviously a coach should have total control to handle these matters but let's not put all the blame on Pederson. Who knows how much blame from dysfunction should also be put on Wentz and if he separated the locker room before this controversial move with Pederson pulling Hurts out of the game. Just one other thing to think about to piggy back on your argument.

But again, not agreeing or disagreeing with the idea of interviewing him. Not sure how I feel about it, if they were to do that.

(01-11-2021, 06:09 PM)Brett Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 06:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote: In a rare instance, I strongly disagree with you, D6.

Go bring him in, Khan.

Not saying I agree or disagree with the decision to look into Pederson but another thing to add to your argument is this:

Wentz has been known to have a controversial, if not diva side to him...it's been reported over the past few years now. Obviously a coach should have total control to handle these matters but let's not put all the blame on Pederson. Who knows how much blame from dysfunction should also be put on Wentz and if he separated the locker room before this controversial move with Pederson pulling Hurts out of the game. Just one other thing to think about to piggy back on your argument.

But again, not agreeing or disagreeing with the idea of interviewing him. Not sure how I feel about it, if they were to do that.

The way I see it, that's another plus in his corner.

Everything 'be heard of Lawrence, he's anything but a diva.

But it would not be a total shock if he had some of that.  He's been a star all of his life pretty much.

Having dealt with that as a coach, on top of having seen that to some degree in Philly behind McNabb, he would be better equipped to deal with that should it manifest here negatively.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-11-2021, 06:18 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 06:09 PM)Brett Wrote: Not saying I agree or disagree with the decision to look into Pederson but another thing to add to your argument is this:

The way I see it, that's another plus in his corner.

Everything 'be heard of Lawrence, he's anything but a diva.

But it would not be a total shock if he had some of that.  He's been a star all of his life pretty much.

Having dealt with that as a coach, on top of having seen that to some degree in Philly behind McNabb, he would be better equipped to deal with that should it manifest here negatively.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you and adding to your arguments.