Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The RB Situation

Quote:Last year Toby was the answer. Runner up for Heisman trophy. Little mileage. Bruiser.

Now after one lousy season, hampered by injury and a saran wrap OLine he's an afterthought.

With Denard showing a flash or two, and an improved OLine , I think the running game can improve. Get the passing game to improve and it opens up the stacked box. Maybe Storm can come through?

Draft a RB and let's see how it plays out.

It's a crapshoot. We dump, Forsett and he goes to Ravens and shines. So before we blame the RB, like Gerhart, let's look at the system, the line, the respect for the pass game.
I agree. wouldn't draft a back before 3rd round for these (and other) reasons.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I agree. wouldn't draft a back before 3rd round for these (and other) reasons.

I normally agree with that but we are getting to the stage where we have almost every position with a young high potential candidate to take the spot

like joeckel he has the potential so you wouldn't draft a first rounder in case he does work out

I would say the only positions we are missing a player like that are

rb

Leo

mlb

fs

could argue slot receiver and te2

still a low number and considering the class is week at safety Iffy at linebacker and deep at Leo I wouldn't be averse to taking a rb early or trading up for one in particular I can't get past gurley

I think we could trade with jets and get one of fowler Gregory or rey for our Leo and a second rounder

use our 2nd and third to jump up and get gurley not to mention with our current roster we could even give him the Colvin treatment sit him half the season then bring him in slow

then with the jets second get perryman or your preferred mlb

I don't know if I would go so far as to say that taking a running back prior to the 3rd round would be a bad thing, but I will say that I think it would be preferable not to just because we have more pressing needs elsewhere. I still think that so much of what happens (good or bad) depends on the performance of the o-line. An upgrade there tends to translate to seemingly improved offensive performance across the board. I think that a good line will make a mediocre quarterback, running back, and receivers all look much better than they individually really are. 

To bad we've not had much luck with ours in a long time. I hope this starts changing this season otherwise I just don't see us getting out of the cellar. 

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Don't really disagree with either response to my prior post. There are some good backs in this draft and they could likely land a very good one in the second. Wouldn't hate it.

I'd just prefer they focus on pass rush and o-line (or safety or LB) in rounds one and two respectively --

Then take the best available RB since guys like Jeremy Langford et al will still be around. Guys that might be second rounders in a weaker class.

Still I see nobody talking about Kenny Hilliard. Does anybody know who he is at all? I watched him every game at LSU. Even though he had a minor injury at times, he is just as strong a runner as Jeremy Hill. He can potentially be a steal.

Quote:Still I see nobody talking about Kenny Hilliard. Does anybody know who he is at all? I watched him every game at LSU. Even though he had a minor injury at times, he is just as strong a runner as Jeremy Hill. He can potentially be a steal.

Sounds like he's headed towards UDFA. He's slow as a camel and despite being a bigger back he doesn't run with power.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/kenny-hilliard?id=2552476'>http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/kenny-hilliard?id=2552476</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Im asking because my memory stinks or maybe im overlooking something but isn't Gurley's situation a lot like Lattimore's? Both top RB's that are coming into the draft with knee injuries. I want to say Lattimore's was worse but he went in the 4th. Why would Gurley go earlier? Especially with how deep the RB class is this year.
"Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote:Im asking because my memory stinks or maybe im overlooking something but isn't Gurley's situation a lot like Lattimore's? Both top RB's that are coming into the draft with knee injuries. I want to say Lattimore's was worse but he went in the 4th. Why would Gurley go earlier? Especially with how deep the RB class is this year.

Gurley tore an ACL, Lattimore's leg almost fell off.

Quote:Gurley tore an ACL, Lattimore's leg almost fell off.

Lattimore had multiple injuries, both which were of devastating nature.

Quote:Sounds like he's headed towards UDFA. He's slow as a camel and despite being a bigger back he doesn't run with power.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/kenny-hilliard?id=2552476'>http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/kenny-hilliard?id=2552476</a>

What jumps out on this end is the contrast between Kenny Hilliard and his uncle,  former LSU and Saints RB Dalton Hilliard.   The latter was an underrated RB,  who was a very good receiver and in space in general.   One thing that hasn't changed much with LSU from the 1980's is the deep rotation of RB's they use.

You know what's amazing? This is one of the best RB drafts in recent memory, if not history of the NFL if the projections come true. Each of these guys have something that they are good at, and I would be happy to have most of them drafted by the Jags.

And then...I need a break. And I decide, you know, I'm gonna take a look at some of these Fred Taylor highlight videos.

Oh my...

The stuff that Fred was doing even late in his career, these young guys couldn't touch. That combination of size, power, speed, agility, acceleration, vision...simply ridiculous.

Quote:Everyone already gave up on Storm Johnson?

did you watch him play?

Quote:did you watch him play?

He was a rookie. Behind a suspect offensive line.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:did you watch him play?

I think it's a little bit premature to say he can't play. He had nagging injuries all year and was learning the blocking side of RB which held him off the field a lot of time. We shall see if he improves at all before this season starts, maybe we will do okay for us. He was a very good player coming out of Central Florida that was probably held back a little in the draft due to being on a team that featured two solid running backs in college which hurt his stock. He isn't the best in measurables but always seemed to find the holes.

Quote:He was a rookie. Behind a suspect offensive line.

He was not good even for a rookie. Either way, our future every down back is not on the current roster

I think the whole "runningbacks are not as important" thing is a phase, and I think it's just wrong. A running game provides the balance that every good offense needs. I don't think an offense can be great without one.

Question: Would anyone here be upset if we drafted a running back that turned out to be like Freddy or MJD? What if the pick was a high round pick, even a first rounder?

What if the Jags took Gurley, and he turned out to be the next Fred Taylor? Would people be upset if he were taken with pick #3?

I'm not so sure that I would be all that upset if the guy were a sure thing. I doubt this is even a remotely real scenario, but I would have zero problem personally with the team using a high pick on a RB if they feel that he is a special player. Honestly, I hope they do take a good RB in the upcoming draft. If it takes a higher pick, so be it. I think that will do wonders for this offense.

Bring on a stud RB.

PS: I'm glad it wasn't Murray. I think his best days are behind him. He may have another good year or maybe two, but give me a young guy instead.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:He isn't the best in measurables but always seemed to find the holes.

That's what she said.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2015, 11:48 PM by KYjaggy.)

The disconnect is that we have to get Gurley or Gordon or whichever other RB at 36 to have a running game. It has been proven over and over and over and over that you can get really good RBs and build a really good running game without having to invest a ton. 

The comparison I came up with that I think is best is HDMI cables. Yes, they are important if you want to have a quality viewing experience at home, but if you are paying $100 for Monster brand cables you are an idiot. There are a plethora of other cheap options that can get the job done just as well.

Quote:The disconnect is that we have to get Gurley or Gordon or whichever other RB at 36 to have a running game. It has been proven over and over and over and over that you can get really good RBs and build a really good running game without having to invest a ton.

The comparison I came up with that I think is best is HDMI cables. Yes, they are important if you want to have a quality viewing experience at home, but if you are paying $100 for Monster brand cables you are an idiot. There are a plethora of other cheap options that can get the job done just as well.

How do you grade Tevin Coleman?

Quote:He was a rookie. Behind a suspect offensive line.

Suspect?!? You are too kind.

The O-line was as much a suspect as OJ.

No sir, our O-line was feloniuosly convicted.