Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags talking to OC Greg Roman

The guy is a bust!!! Bradley said he let Fisch go becuase of "philisopical differences", ie the main reason he let Fisch go was he put too much on Bortles plate. Well that is exactly what happened in SF last year. Kaepernick had a decent season 2 years ago running the read option, and last year Roman tossed way too much on Colin Kaepernick's plate changing the entire offensive scheme. 2 years ago they mostly ran the read option, with throwing to Davis as a fail safe, it was a great sucess and Kaepernick excelled in the basic system. This year Davis pretty much was never targeted, they threw the ball too often down field and their offense struggled. Basically they went from running a great system, and having sucess to a whole different system this year and failed. Roman failed to reconize the strengths and weaknesses of his QB or offense for that matter and adjust....during THE ENTIRE YEAR!!!! Roman thought just becuase he has 2 new Deep threats this year that they should change the entire offense and look what happened.....TOTAL and UTTER disaster for the Niners. 

We need a OC who can identify the stregnths and weaknesses of his offense and play to the streghts of it. Greg Roman is not that man.

I really hope we get Tresman or someone that thinks like him.

We have a great WR corp, a defense thats finding its stride, an offensive line missing 1-2 pieces and lacking depth, a promising QB and RB. I think drafting a OL, DE, LB, and a RB and finding the rest in free agency is what we need. Then hire a OC who runs a high completion passing scheme, something like the west coast offense style. Let our WR do the work with yards after the catch. It will build confidence in Bortles and the rest of the offense.

Like Bruce Arians says "you only need 4 yards a touch" and with a decent defense you can hang with any team out there.

Sorry for the spelling, but you get my point. The offense that Roman wants to bring to the table will leave the Jaguars with another losing season, and in need of another OC after the 2015 season is over.

Caldwell and Bradley have collected some nice pieces to use on the field, now we just need someone who can put them to good use.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 11:18 PM by Chuckd.)

Quote:The guy is a bust!!! Bradley said he let Fisch go becuase of "philisopical differences", ie the main reason he let Fisch go was he put too much on Bortles plate. Well that is exactly what happened in SF last year. Kaepernick had a decent season 2 years ago running the read option, and last year Roman tossed way too much on Colin Kaepernick's plate changing the entire offensive scheme. 2 years ago they mostly ran the read option, with throwing to Davis as a fail safe, it was a great sucess and Kaepernick excelled in the basic system. This year Davis pretty much was never targeted, they threw the ball too often down field and their offense struggled. Basically they went from running a great system, and having sucess to a whole different system this year and failed. Roman failed to reconize the strengths and weaknesses of his QB or offense for that matter and adjust....during THE ENTIRE YEAR!!!! Roman thought just becuase he has 2 new Deep threats this year that they should change the entire offense and look what happened.....TOTAL and UTTER disaster for the Niners.

We need a OC who can identify the stregnths and weaknesses of his offense and play to the streghts of it. Greg Roman is not that man.

I really hope we get Tresman or someone that thinks like him.

We have a great WR corp, a defense thats finding its stride, an offensive line missing 1-2 pieces and lacking depth, a promising QB and RB. I think drafting a OL, DE, LB, and a RB and finding the rest in free agency is what we need. Then hire a OC who runs a high completion passing scheme, something like the west coast offense style. Let our WR do the work with yards after the catch. It will build confidence in Bortles and the rest of the offense.

Like Bruce Arians says "you only need 4 yards a touch" and with a decent defense you can hang with any team out there.

Sorry for the spelling, but you get my point. The offense that Roman wants to bring to the table will leave the Jaguars with another losing season, and in need of another OC after the 2015 season is over.

Caldwell and Bradley have collected some nice pieces to use on the field, now we just need someone who can put them to good use.
Delusional.

How many Super Bowl champions are that from their linebacking core? Give me a break.

He changed because read option QBs get killed, and once they didn't have the luxury of Alex Smith on the bench, they had to try and make him throw from the pocket. He can't do it.

Name me one long term read option scrambling NFL QB who has played more than three years. They don't. You know who does? Guys who can throw the ball from the pocket. Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Palmer, etc.

Get your head out of your .....

We have a great WR core? Please name all these "great" WRs.

An offensive line missing two of five pieces? Yeah that's real close to solidified.

This team is lacking talent everywhere on offense, period. The great WR core you speak of with traditional success rates leaves us with one decent guy.

Where do you guys dream up this crap?
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

If we get Roman we get a guy who may be to aggressive. If we get Trestman we get a guy who may not be aggressive enough.

If we get KIRBY everyone WINS.

KIRBY 2015. I'm making t-shirts.

I agree pocket passers are where ALL OF THE GOOD QBS ARE> but Colin Kaepernick is NOT one of them, HIS strenghts lie in a read-option offense. 2014 they ran that scheme and had SUCCESS. That my delusional friend is playing to the strengths of the offense, mainly the QB. Once they started going away from what Colin was good at, he failed miserably.

NO WHERE IN MY POST DID I SAY WE NEED TO RUN THE READ OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT A SINGLE TIME.

I said we need to play to our strenghts, that is high percentage completions which are found in a west coast styled offense...we have good young WR who are good at YAC's. Fast passes like this also play to the strenghts of a WEAK OL....which we have. Bortles needs a system like this UNTIL he can build confidence and become the player we drafted. Then put more on his plate. BUT start with a system like this and we will win games.

Maybe you should try reading what was written and not get all delusional and start ranting about stuff that was never said, nor applied. You must be a Browns fan.

Robinson, Lee, Hurns (dropped some passes) show a ton of promise. Shorts is solid but not game breaking. Blackmon.......well.....thats TBD.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 11:33 PM by Chuckd.)

Quote:I agree pocket passers are where ALL OF THE GOOD QBS ARE> but Colin Kaepernick is NOT one of them, HIS strenghts lie in a read-option offense. 2014 they ran that scheme and had SUCCESS. That my delusional friend is playing to the strengths of the offense, mainly the QB. Once they started going away from what Colin was good at, he failed miserably.

NO WHERE IN MY POST DID I SAY WE NEED TO RUN THE READ OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT A SINGLE TIME.

I said we need to play to our strenghts, that is high percentage completions which are found in a west coast styled offense...we have good young WR who are good at YAC's. Fast passes like this also play to the strenghts of a WEAK OL....which we have. Bortles needs a system like this UNTIL he can build confidence and become the player we drafted. Then put more on his plate. BUT start with a system like this and we will win games.

Maybe you should try reading what was written and not get all delusional and start ranting about stuff that was never said, nor applied. You must be a Browns fan.

Robinson, Lee, Hurns (dropped alot of passed) show a ton of promise. Shorts is solid but not game breaking. Blackmon.......well.....thats TBD.
Sounds like an amazing plan to success. Would you mind stopping down at Everbank tomorrow and chewing the fat with Caldwell? We might have a spot for you.

Everything in there sounds great, except pretend I'm a defensive coordinator playing against you with an average defense. We're covering up the short routes. What ya gonna do? We're stopping the run game cause your line stinks. What ya gonna do? We've taken away anything beyond a three step drop because you can't protect, and when you do, drops and wrong reads. What ya gonna do?

You're gonna be 3-13.
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

High-percentage completions...kind of like all those slant and curl routes Fisch was so fond of?

Roman knows how to build an offense around a QB. He thought Kaepernick could handle more on his plate this year, and clearly he couldn't. That's a failing of the OC, the HC and especially the QB. Trestman is my favorite name that's been thrown out, but we could do a whole lot worse than Greg Roman.

Quote:High-percentage completions...kind of like all those slant and curl routes Fisch was so fond of?

Roman knows how to build an offense around a QB. He thought Kaepernick could handle more on his plate this year, and clearly he couldn't. That's a failing of the OC, the HC and especially the QB. Trestman is my favorite name that's been thrown out, but we could do a whole lot worse than Greg Roman.

Well said, but I think their lack of success was situational. A coach on his way, lost the team, lots of injuries, etc. Roman has a much longer track record of success than CK.

Kirbys suck......

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

Quote:High-percentage completions...kind of like all those slant and curl routes Fisch was so fond of?

Yes we could.Roman I have a feeling will be hired but I don't know crap.

http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...-deep-more

That article is only a few months old. But look at the rate of throws, percentages.....and rank in the league.

Took me 2 seconds to find an article to back my statement up.

Every team has to throw short passes, and some long ones to keep the defense on their toes, but as of 2 months ago we were ranked 15th on deep passes, and 29th on completing them(7 for 33). We just happened to throw more deep passes this past year, then we have since the last 6 years.

Trying to find time to throw the deep ball nearly got Bortles killed taking sacks(55 most in the league), alot of them where his fault by not taking the right read, or throwing it away.

We had the 6th WORST passing completion percentage in the NFL.....Geno Smith was above Bortles for heavens sake.

Meh, to each his own. I really thought Roman would be the head coach here a couple of years ago, and while the error in judgment on Kaepernick was a big one, I still think we'd be getting a steal if we landed him as a coordinator.

Trestman's offense is widely known to be among the most difficult in the league. Getting rid of Fisch because he put too much on Bortles plate and then hiring Trestman makes no sense at all.

Quote:Kirbys suck......
oh yeah?? What kind of vacuum you running hot shot!?!?;

LoL   Nothing sucks like Electrolux...

Quote:LoL Nothing sucks like Electrolux...
never heard of him some kind of fancy European unit no doubt

He goes by "The Shark"

Quote:He goes by "The Shark"
as long as he can get Bortles to the next level I'm fine with that

On an unrelated note, I threw my hat at the TV when the Jags picked Blake Bortles over Sammy Watkins. By the end of preseason, I was eating more crow than a bus-load of fat, homeless men.

The moral? As a fan, don't put yourself out there if you don't have to. We really don't know all that much.

As for Greg Roman, well, I'm sure the OP knows about as much as I do about the guy's offense, which is pretty much nothing.

Remember to keep your hands and feet in the car at all times ladies and gents, and for God's sake please quit feeding the trolls.

Quote:Trestman's offense is widely known to be among the most difficult in the league. Getting rid of Fisch because he put too much on Bortles plate and then hiring Trestman makes no sense at all.

He runs the most complex offense aimed at throwing the check-down I've ever seen. I want no part of Trestman in Jax, unless it's as a QB coach.

The guy has the personality of a wet carrot too.

49ers offense sucks. This guy sucks.