Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Big Cat Country writes another glowing review of Tyson Alualu

He's a backup lineman that's still getting paid like a top 10 pick.

He will probably get another contract in the NFL because he's a good pro, good in the locker room, and isn't goinng to break the bank.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He's a backup lineman that's still getting paid like a top 10 pick.
I'm going to tell you a little secret: Alualu is a top ten pick and he's still on his rookie contract. 

Leonard Williams will make him expendable.

Quote:Didn't all you marks promise you'd quit if he made the team the last two years?

Welcome back and I 100% agree with that article.  We haven't always agreed in the past, but Alualu is not a star in the league, but he is a solid defensive tackle/end.

As many have pointed out, it was not his fault he was drafted too high.  I'm hoping we sign him for the right price.  It's hard to find guys that work as hard as he does and he fills a need on this team.

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2014, 11:41 AM by The_Anchorman.)

Quote:I'm going to tell you a little secret: Alualu is a top ten pick and he's still on his rookie contract.
Lol! Ok we get it. I'm not an Alualu hater. He's actually played ok as a back up.

I just think he should be paid as such. Can't look anything up right now, but I'm just curious as to his comparables with others of his position as a back up.

I get your point regarding our cap space, and I'm confident that Caldwell will keep us in good shape.

But when I read the article from that one blogger, I couldn't believe and still can't believe alualu is worth almost 4 million in 2015

Quote:People say that every year and every year Alualu remains on the roster. Guy has played for three head coaches, four if you count Mel Tucker, and not one has cut him. Even when Caldwell and Bradley starting bringing in "their guys" on the D-line Alualu found a spot in the rotation. I'll take the decisions of professional NFL personnel over you "looking at the tapes".
Not fast enough to be a DE and not strong enough to be a tackle. You have to account for the fact that in the past few years, he made the roster because talents on the D-line were sub-par, his rookie contract along with failed "professional NFL personnel". The D-line improves significantly with talents this year and that will change the decision from professional NFL coaches.

I forced fumble and 12 sacks in 79 games. Only 1 sack this year on an improved defense.. If this is glowing... I must be blind.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

I thought his contract ran out this year, but I would restructure an extension instead of paying his salary next year too where he is paid like a rotation player not a starter he still has potential
"Get Better Everyday"

Quote:Alualu's salary is $2.44 million next year. I'm not sure what his total cap hit would be but I'm guessing it's leftover bonus money that will be on the cap whether you cut him or not. So the total savings won't be more than $2.5 million.

Quote:From Alfie:

"With that deal, there was a voidable sixth year at the end of that deal and if the Jaguars choose, they can cut ties with no hit on the cap, or bring Alualu back in 2015 for a $3.985 million cap hit."

That says he will cost about $4M in 2015 if he's kept at his current contract vs. nothing if he's cut. Of course Alfie could be wrong. Maybe Alfie just meant that there would be no additional cap hit if he were cut.

The third option is to offer him a new contract to stay that is commensurate with his level of play. That's what I see happening, and what I think the Jags should do. Say he gets a $1.5M offer for 2015. That's probably still more than any other team would offer. The extra $2.5M could be the additional signing bonus amount needed to win the bidding on (say) a good free agent free safety. Besides the waste of cap space that would be better spent on an impact player, f
or Alualu to make more than the starting defensive linemen is detrimental to the team morale.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:That says he will cost about $4M in 2015 if he's kept at his current contract vs. nothing if he's cut. Of course Alfie could be wrong. Maybe Alfie just meant that there would be no additional cap hit if he were cut.

The third option is to offer him a new contract to stay that is commensurate with his level of play. That's what I see happening, and what I think the Jags should do. Say he gets a $1.5M offer for 2015. That's probably still more than any other team would offer. The extra $2.5M could be the additional signing bonus amount needed to win the bidding on (say) a good free agent free safety. Besides the waste of cap space that would be better spent on an impact player, f
or Alualu to make more than the starting defensive linemen is detrimental to the team morale.

I don't care what Alfie says. Alualu's salary for 2015 is $2.44 million. With remaining bonus and other costs his cap hit could very well be $4 million but I haven't looked it his contract in detail.

Regardless of how big his cap figure is, the argument remains the same; players are graded compared to other players, not their cap figure.

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2014, 12:20 PM by Alfie.)

Quote: 

You cannot offer him a new contract. You can release him or bring him back on the option. There is no restructuring they can do, just like they can't with Posluszny or Lewis. Teams are only permitted to do that if they're in need of cap relief, which the Jaguars are not.

The Jaguars will have 50M+ in cap room. This notion that Alualu's $4M cap hit would prevent them from doing anything whatsoever, or that the "extra $2.5M would help sway a free agent" is absurd and shows a gross misunderstanding of the salary cap and the Jaguars salary cap situation.

Alualu doesn't make more than any of the starting defensive lineman, and the idea that it "is detrimental to team morale" is hilarious. In fact, about 6 of the defensive lineman have roughly the same contract. Ziggy Hood got essentially the same contract Sen'Derrick Marks got. Looks like that really killed the morale on the defensive line.

EDIT: And yes, I just looked up the actual contract. The option carries a $1.2M option bonus and there is still roughly $300k in pro-rated signing bonus left, so you're on the hook for $1.5M whether the option is exercised or not. It's a player option, I thought it was a team option. 

Garrards $60M ext =NBC Samberg getting $60M after Junk In a Box might have let that breathe -Simmons

Quote:I don't care what Alfie says. Alualu's salary for 2015 is $2.44 million. With remaining bonus and other costs his cap hit could very well be $4 million but I haven't looked it his contract in detail.

Regardless of how big his cap figure is, the argument remains the same; players are graded compared to other players, not their cap figure.

The original topic is about Alfie's article.

And of course players are graded on their cap figure. It happens all the time. What planet have you been living on these last 20 years?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Anyone who can't see that Bryant is five times the player that TA is is just sad. there is no question that the difference in presence and the difference in Bryant's strength is a world of difference. Tyson has been adequate and nothing more than that -he's a guy. I can't just blame that on him due to the initial the injury. You cannot justify his salary at this point.

Quote:You cannot offer him a new contract. You can release him or bring him back on the option. There is no restructuring they can do, just like they can't with Posluszny or Lewis. Teams are only permitted to do that if they're in need of cap relief, which the Jaguars are not.

The Jaguars will have 50M+ in cap room. This notion that Alualu's $4M cap hit would prevent them from doing anything whatsoever, or that the "extra $2.5M would help sway a free agent" is absurd and shows a gross misunderstanding of the salary cap and the Jaguars salary cap situation.

Alualu doesn't make more than any of the starting defensive lineman, and the idea that it "is detrimental to team morale" is hilarious. In fact, about 6 of the defensive lineman have roughly the same contract. Ziggy Hood got essentially the same contract Sen'Derrick Marks got. Looks like that really killed the morale on the defensive line.

EDIT: And yes, I just looked up the actual contract. The option carries a $1.2M option bonus and there is still roughly $300k in pro-rated signing bonus left, so you're on the hook for $1.5M whether the option is exercised or not. It's a player option, I thought it was a team option. 

4. Thanks for the more detailed breakdown. You might want to edit your article.

1. The Jags can certainly 'cut' him and then offer him a lower contract. They did that with Babin last spring.

2. That the Jags have $50M in cap room is meaningless WRT this discussion. It just points out the lack of interest in fielding a winning team. What salary do you think Alualu could get from another team if he were cut? Why should the Jags pay more than that?

3. So Alualu's contract is "roughly the same" as three starters, and you don't think that's a bad idea? Marks is grossly underpaid. Ziggy Hood was paid his market price. I'm not suggesting Alualu be paid less than his market price, I'm just suggesting that his market price is much lower than the present extension option.

All I know is that the ability to rotate has played a role in the improvement of the line this year. Alualu is clearly part of that -  and has been solid with flashes of good in his role.  

I didn't see the article as a "glowing review."  Merely a suggestion that Alualu will likely be back in that role unless a FA comes down the pike that they feel better about. 

4 million is not a big deal for the production he provided this season when you consider the cap space and the 1.5 mil cap hit if he's released.

Sure, maybe the money's a little high-  and the guy never lived up to his draft position - but he did what they asked of him pretty well this year. 

Alfie is such a moron.  I explained this in another thread.  He thinks he is a GM in a reporters disguise.  AluAlu is a joke for where he was drafted.  Based upon his play, I bet he goes undrafted if the draft was re-done.  Also, he said RG3 was the next Brady, and had arguments with people over Twitter about it.  Look at him now...benched.  This guy thinks he is smarter than everybody, very Gene Smith like.  Maybe that's why he likes AluAlu so much. 

Anchorman is spot on with his assessment of this thread.  Garrard was atleast good, and did a lot we didn't realize with the crappy receivers he had.  No excuse for AluAlu.  He may make a play here or there, but nothing worth keeping him on the field over other players.

[Image: 0906f0a5158b1a1583c7fc847cabe4fb0ab3c1d0...c61946.jpg]

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2014, 12:42 PM by Shack Del Rio.)

Quote: 

[Image: orig-21255639.jpg]

Quote:4. Thanks for the more detailed breakdown. You might want to edit your article.

1. The Jags can certainly 'cut' him and then offer him a lower contract. They did that with Babin last spring.

2. That the Jags have $50M in cap room is meaningless WRT this discussion. It just points out the lack of interest in fielding a winning team. What salary do you think Alualu could get from another team if he were cut? Why should the Jags pay more than that?

3. So Alualu's contract is "roughly the same" as three starters, and you don't think that's a bad idea? Marks is grossly underpaid. Ziggy Hood was paid his market price. I'm not suggesting Alualu be paid less than his market price, I'm just suggesting that his market price is much lower than the present extension option.

1. In the end, they're paying the same amount because you're eating $1.5M in dead money if you cut him. So you're doing quite a bit of work to save oh... $500k on the cap.

2. It's not meaningless when you make absurd points like the $2.5M difference in his salary would sway a free agent or not. It doesn't point to the "lack of interest" in fielding a winning team either. What in the world are you talking about? What he'd get from another team is irrelevant. He's still on his rookie contract.

3. No, it's roughly the same as all four starting defensive lineman AND one of the primary back ups. No, I don't think that's a bad idea. Marks just got a new contract. Hood got "market price"? So... $4M/year is market price for a back up defensive tackle but NOT a backup defensive end? How does that work, exactly? What is Alualu's market price?

4. It has been fixed.

Garrards $60M ext =NBC Samberg getting $60M after Junk In a Box might have let that breathe -Simmons

Quote:Alfie is such a moron.  I explained this in another thread.  He thinks he is a GM in a reporters disguise.  AluAlu is a joke for where he was drafted.  Based upon his play, I bet he goes undrafted if the draft was re-done.  Also, he said RG3 was the next Brady, and had arguments with people over Twitter about it.  Look at him now...benched.  This guy thinks he is smarter than everybody, very Gene Smith like.  Maybe that's why he likes AluAlu so much. 

Anchorman is spot on with his assessment of this thread.  Garrard was atleast good, and did a lot we didn't realize with the crappy receivers he had.  No excuse for AluAlu.  He may make a play here or there, but nothing worth keeping him on the field over other players.

It's actually my back patio and it's a swing.

Oh no, a picture of me from a nameless faceless person! Going to go cry, you guys. I'm hurt.

All of this, for saying it's likely Alualu is back and he's a good rotational player. Amazing.

Quote:1. In the end, they're paying the same amount because you're eating $1.5M in dead money if you cut him. So you're doing quite a bit of work to save oh... $500k on the cap.

2. It's not meaningless when you make absurd points like the $2.5M difference in his salary would sway a free agent or not. It doesn't point to the "lack of interest" in fielding a winning team either. What in the world are you talking about? What he'd get from another team is irrelevant. He's still on his rookie contract.

3. No, it's roughly the same as all four starting defensive lineman AND one of the primary back ups. No, I don't think that's a bad idea. Marks just got a new contract. Hood got "market price"? So... $4M/year is market price for a back up defensive tackle but NOT a backup defensive end? How does that work, exactly? What is Alualu's market price?

4. It has been fixed.

1. I'd estimate his market value as $1.5M or less. I certainly could be wrong, but there have been a lot of decent backup DTs who have signed for veteran minimum or close to it these last few years. And before you once again spin the DE claim, any reasonably quick DT could fill the role of run stuffing DE.

Saving a million dollars is not worth "quite a bit of work"? I'd be glad to take that low-value $1M off your hands.

2. You don't think that $2.5M could make a difference? There is always some amount that could make a difference. I wonder how much more the Jags would have had to offer Mack before Cleveland gave in? Probably a lot more than $2.5M, but every little bit helps.

3. Market price is what you have to pay a free agent. Hood's contract was market price. I personally don't think Hood was worth $4M, but that's the price Caldwell needed to pay to outbid other NFL GMs.