Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Talent evaluation

To be fair when evaluating your 2013 draft class is good to know overall 2013 draft is looking to be pretty bad. I didn't watch Joeckel close enough to fairly judge his performances (because of his injury last year we could also still consider him as a rookie), but top 10 picks in this draft are all disappointing so far. Ziggy Ansah is probably the best out of them, but he's playing alongside Suh on a very good defensive line, which helps him. Looking at the rest of 1st round picks Sheldon Richardson is a beast. I liked him before the draft, but he was never considered a top 5 pick and if I remember correctly, there were some concerns about him being a "one season wonder" in college. I also don't know if he would fit good in 4-3 defense. Gus Bradley is a defensive coach, so maybe we should just trust him with that decision. And DL is the least of your problems right now.

You missed on some good players in 2nd and later rounds, but the same can also be said every year about other 31 teams. Still I don't think there was any "can't miss future superstar player" right there. Overall, based on quality and depth of 2013 draft this was just a bad year to start a complete rebuild of the franchise.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Just so much excuse making.

Of all those picks, you have to hit on at least 1 or 2

Quote:Of all those picks, you have to hit on at least 1 or 2
uh, he has. McCray, Robinson.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:uh, he has. McCray, Robinson.

....... Two late round guys are playing OK, and that's considered a "hit"? Drob has had trouble the last few weeks.... Has been good in like 4 games

Quote:....... Two late round guys are playing OK, and that's considered a "hit"? Drob has had trouble the last few weeks.... Has been good in like 4 games

He's talking about the other Robinson, AR15.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote: He's talking about the other Robinson, AR15.

No, we were discussing 2013 specifically

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014, 07:47 AM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:It's not even inconsistent with joeckel though. He's consistently near to below average
Joeckel was bad against the Cowboys, but he has been above average the past 4 games outside of that one. There is definite progress being made with him. 

Quote:Bradley deserves a lot of heat, but I wanted to address this "plan" that people are defending. Just think about how many guys were supposed to play starting roles and are no longer on the team, or now reserves:

Gerhart, Watson, Brewster, Mclendon, Gratz (was a reserve before the injury to ball), Guy.... I'm sure i'm missing someone. Think about that. How can you trust the "plan" when there's nothing to show for it?

Which of the young guys on defense can you credit as playing well yesterday? Clemons was the shining star, but he isnt part of the core going forward. Cyprien continues to play like garbage.

Telvin Smith was a star on defense not only leading in tackles during the game but helping to stop the run.

Telvin's stats so far (not starting all season)

38 solo, 15 [BLEEP], 53 total tackles, 2 sacks, 1 Forced Fumble, 2 Fumble Recoverys, 3 PD, 1 INT

Thats fantastic!

Quote:<div>
It seems he's not as smart as they thought he'd be.  Even when he does see his assignment, he'll second guess it midstream. 

Anyone one else see him lock onto Fleener on the crossing route, then change his angle mid-route when he thought Luck would throw elsewhere? 

Of course Luck hit Fleener for a 12 yard gain or so.  The ball was well placed and Cyp may never have broken it up, but he could have at least had a chance to jar it loose or push him out of bounds 3 or 4 yds sooner - had he not considered going elsewhere mid route.  

Maybe he was supposed to spy the QB on that down, but letting Fleener run free to do it seems like the wrong decision. 
i say it alot and maybe it's just may biased way of interpreting stupidity for one of my favourite players but i think the guy tries to do too much 

the play that illustrated it to me was the dez bryant crossing route last week where cyp was standing around the first down marker and pushed up to try and make the tackle before the first down and got burned. 

This week he locked onto fleener in open space and pushed up looking for the big play so perhaps it is just poor football iq.

All I can say is that this is not what we drafted him for, we drafted him to be a big in the box safety and to fight with tight ends at the line of scrimmage.

Until we get a safety with the ability to play 1 high safety and the speed to cover sideline to side line we will not see cyps true potential

in general i think caldwell has done well enough at evaluating talent

I think with draft picks you have to rate them in relation to their draft status and this close you really have to go under achieiving... over achieiving.... jury still out

caldwell has done very well at picking up quality talent in the 4th round and beyond 

for me of his draft picks

jury still out: bortles, joeckel, colvin, chris smith, j harris, storm johnson,

underachieiving: cyprien, gratz, lee, sanders

overachieving d rob, mccray, evans, a rob, linder,telvin smith, bowanko

</div>

free agents he has done pretty well too considering he has been picking through other teams detritus and not really splashed the cash yet

players like dekoda watson are low risk high reward and on a few we have been rewarded and some we haven't 

i don't have any complaints with caldwell

It amazes me that Bradley gets all the heat but Caldwell doesn't get any.  The team is flat out awful.  There are some glimmers of hope, but I can't see the team being a contender for at least another 3 years.  It was Caldwell's idea to "blow it up" and rebuild at a level unprecedented in the NFL.  We've got the apologists for the team claiming we are basically an expansion team without the benefits the Jags and Panthers had. 

Looking at the latest expansion teams:

Texans took 6 years just to finish .500 in a season

Browns took 4 years to finish .500 in a season and then continued to be the Browns.

That's what we should be looking forward to the next few years.  If we truly are "expansion team-esque", we are in for a long, miserable road. 

One of these years.............

Quote:It amazes me that Bradley gets all the heat but Caldwell doesn't get any. The team is flat out awful. There are some glimmers of hope, but I can't see the team being a contender for at least another 3 years. It was Caldwell's idea to "blow it up" and rebuild at a level unprecedented in the NFL. We've got the apologists for the team claiming we are basically an expansion team without the benefits the Jags and Panthers had.

Looking at the latest expansion teams:

Texans took 6 years just to finish .500 in a season

Browns took 4 years to finish .500 in a season and then continued to be the Browns.

That's what we should be looking forward to the next few years. If we truly are "expansion team-esque", we are in for a long, miserable road.

Yeah ummm we all know this. It's people like you who expect to turn it around in a year

Quote:Yeah ummm we all know this. It's people like you who expect to turn it around in a year

It's my high expectations of being better than last year and not being the WORST team every year.  I have such low expectations for the Jaguars it's not even funny.  I expect us to at least be *gasp* not all-time bad.  Silly me.

And don't give me that crap that we are better this year, because we're not.  Being last in the league in both points and points per game probably hasn't been done that often.  I guess we're looking for our spot in history.

One of these years.............