Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles ready to start?

Quote:It's a young team that has a lot of growing to do.  That will come over the course of this season.  Again, we're only 2 games into it. 
So maybe they should learn a thing or two by sitting on the bench, right?

Again, I am not saying that Bortles is the savior or magic-pill, but why not put him out there so he can learn and grow - like you say.

We don't want him to be in a position where he has to grow significantly, next season, especially when we are supposed to be a playoff contender.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You are right, we played a STELLAR game the first two quarters of the Philly game.

Too bad we didn't finish and gave up 30+ unanswered points. 

I would rather play a gritty 4 quarters and win the game than I would, playing a great 2 quarters and getting blown out.

The quality of play in the first quarter of the Eagles game is well overstated.

The defense played great and Hurns did great, too.

Other than that there wasn't much to talk about. When the Jaguars had to line up from their own 20 they went three and out and Gerhart was getting stuffed.

The Jaguars were winning, but the offensive performance was a house of cards built on the shifting sands of outstanding rookie effort by Hurns.

Wow, I had no idea this thread could get to five pages in less than one hour.

Anyone who thinkn it is impossible to watch preseason games and not know Blake is ready ignores the obvious fact that he was mostly playing against backups.

Quote:You are right, we played a STELLAR game the first two quarters of the Philly game.

Too bad we didn't finish and gave up 30+ unanswered points.

I would rather play a gritty 4 quarters and win the game than I would, playing a great 2 quarters and getting blown out.

More like one great quarter. The defense didn't let Philly score in the 2nd but our offense didn't score anything after a minute to go in the first when we got the field goal.

7 bad quarters versus one good one is all we have to go on so far.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 05:00 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:It's a young team that has a lot of growing to do.  That will come over the course of this season.  Again, we're only 2 games into it. 

I understand this sentiment, but when are we going to stop using this excuse? There are a lot of young teams in the league that aren't blown out of the water week in and out, it’s one thing to have a young team, it's another to have a young talented team. I'm still optimistic and hopeful they can right the ship, but being young isn't an excuse Imo for being dominated for 6 consecutive quarters, talented teams aren't dominated by the Kirk Cousins led Redskins, young or not.

Quote:Wow, I had no idea this thread could get to four pages in less than one hour.

Anyone who thinkn it is impossible to watch preseason games and not know Blake is ready ignores the obvious fact that he was mostly playing against backups.
And anyone who knows a thing or two about football could clearly see that his intelligence for the game is far beyond what we thought...

You know, especially when he observed and dissected a defense, pre-snap, called an audible and changed the play into a favorable one - many times... That and, him being able to withstand pressure and make NFL throws - regardless of who was lining up on the other side...

Come on JW.

Quote:And anyone who knows a thing or two about football could clearly see that his intelligence for the game is far beyond what we thought...

You know, especially when he observed and dissected a defense, pre-snap, called an audible and changed the play into a favorable one - many times... That and, him being able to withstand pressure and make NFL throws - regardless of who was lining up on the other side...

Come on JW.

I only watched half of one preseason game - the last one, when a lot of starters were rested.

Hopefully I will see Blake's high football IQ soon enough.

Quote:I understand this sentiment, but when are we going to stop using this excuse? There are a lot of young teams in the league that aren't blown out of the water week in and out, it’s one thing to have a young team, it's another to have a young talented team. I'm still optimistic and hopeful they can right the ship, but being young isn't an excuse Imo for being dominated for 6 consecutive quarters, talented teams aren't dominated by the Kirk Cousins led Redskins, young or not.

Gosh, I don't know.  When it's not one of the youngest rosters in the league maybe?  Just spit balling.  It's not an excuse, BTW.  It's a fact.  This is the 2nd youngest roster in the league, and it's a roster that has been almost completely turned over in the last 18 months or so. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

The guy was the best QB in the NFL in the preseason and the best preseason for a rookie QB ever, yes he is ready to start 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:Gosh, I don't know.  When it's not one of the youngest rosters in the league maybe?  Just spit balling.  It's not an excuse, BTW.  It's a fact.  This is the 2nd youngest roster in the league, and it's a roster that has been almost completely turned over in the last 18 months or so. 

Yes it is an excuse. Look at how many rookies and second year players on other teams do better than some of oldest guys.

Quote:Gosh, I don't know.  When it's not one of the youngest rosters in the league maybe?  Just spit balling.  It's not an excuse, BTW.  It's a fact.  This is the 2nd youngest roster in the league, and it's a roster that has been almost completely turned over in the last 18 months or so. 

We're the 5th youngest.  Seattle is 4th. The Packers are 6th.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:The guy was the best QB in the NFL in the preseason and the best preseason for a rookie QB ever, yes he is ready to start 

Statistics mean nothing without an apples to apples comparison. How did Bortles compare to quarterbacks who took the same number of snaps and threw the same number of passes?

Quote:We're the 5th youngest.  Seattle is 4th. The Packers are 6th.  

Where did you get that from? I read we are the second youngest team.

Quote:I disagree. Bortles could become a turnover machine once he's in there behind that line with those receives and no running game. For all his faults, Henne has been better this year at minimizing the turnovers. That's not a ringing endorsement for Henne, but it is a legitimate concern with a rookie QB.

Knowing how impatient some on this board are, if he struggles at all, they'll be firing off the bust label almost immediately.

3 and outs are essentially turnovers too. If we put up more points, i'll be fine with the picks that come with it

Quote:Where did you get that from? I read we are the second youngest team.

Sorry.  Was using last year's numbers.  The point still stands though.

Jags are 2nd youngest.  Packers 6th, and Seahawks 7th.  The difference between the Jags and Packers are about 5 months.  Meester was probably single handedly keeping our age up a little.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 05:28 PM by Scarecrow.)

Quote:Where did you get that from? I read we are the second youngest team.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/red_z...-10th.html

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/274653841.html

I stand corrected.

Before people start talking about cecil's support for henne.... http://twitter.com/Rep1Sports/status/443562374700601344

Quote:Before people start talking about cecil's support for henne.... http://twitter.com/Rep1Sports/status/443562374700601344
That's from March...

Quote:Before people start talking about cecil's support for henne.... http://twitter.com/Rep1Sports/status/443562374700601344
Boy, you really showed us with that one. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]