Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles ready to start?

Gus Bradley said there have been no discussions yet about personnel, so Chad Henne would be the starter if he had to name one today. That is not the same as saying Henne will definitely be the starter Sunday against the Colts. Everything I heard sounds to me like the door is still open for Blake Bortles to start depending on what ohers did wrong as well as Henne's own mistakes. So my question for everyone who watched Bortles more in preseason is, "Can he really improve the offense with an awful OL and almost no running game?" Is he ready to play against teams with good defenses without the benefits of pass protection, healthy tight ends, and a balanced attack? It scares me to think of that, but if Bortles is good enough to hide problems that are obvious with Henne and provide a spark, I am open to the idea.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yep.

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

He can't be worse than henne and I feel like Bortles would create more big plays. That said Bortles will certainly go through his fair share of struggles.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  We'll see soon enough whether he's ready or not. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I'd say he can't be worse. 

Quote:He can't be worse than Henne and I feel like Bortles would create more big plays. That said Bortles will certainly go through his fair share of struggles.

Oh yes, he will definitely go through some growing pains. I expect a few posters to say he was promoted too early if he plays worse than Chad Henne because that is unlikely to happen.

Quote:He can't be worse than henne and I feel like Bortles would create more big plays. That said Bortles will certainly go through his fair share of struggles.
I disagree.  Bortles could become a turnover machine once he's in there behind that line with those receives and no running game.  For all his faults, Henne has been better this year at minimizing the turnovers.  That's not a ringing endorsement for Henne, but it is a legitimate concern with a rookie QB.

Knowing how impatient some on this board are, if he struggles at all, they'll be firing off the bust label almost immediately. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 04:18 PM by Jerrad.)

We can't start Bortles until we have a Pro Bowl level player at all 21 other positions.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:We can't start Bortles until we have a Pro Bowl level player at all 21 other positions.
CHAM-PEEN-CHIP!

Quote:I disagree.  Bortles could become a turnover machine once he's in there behind that line with those receives and no running game.  For all his faults, Henne has been better this year at minimizing the turnovers.  That's not a ringing endorsement for Henne, but it is a legitimate concern with a rookie QB.

Knowing how impatient some on this board are, if he struggles at all, they'll be firing off the bust label almost immediately. 

I hate it when people think knee-jerk reactions are better than patience. If Bortles becomes a turnover machine, who will people call a bust, him or Lee?

Quote:We can't start Bortles until we have a Pro Bowl level player at all 21 other positions.

Nobody is saying anything of the sort, but okay. 

Quote:I hate it when people think knee-jerk reactions are better than patience. If Bortles becomes a turnover machine, who will people call a bust, him or Lee?
The blame always goes to the QB. 

4/5 of our offensive line isn't ready to start.  That's for certain.

Quote:4/5 of our offensive line isn't ready to start.  That's for certain.

But we should trot the savior out there because that fixes everything. 

I'm sorry, but I honestly prefer watching Henne taking every hit, whether it's his fault or not, until we can at least comfortably say the line is at a point where we can run the ball, and marginally protect the QB.  Henne taking a beating doesn't jeopardize the franchise one bit. 

I am mostly worried about the offense right now because when healthy, the defense is pretty good.

Quote:But we should trot the savior out there because that fixes everything. 

There is something to be said of the Peyton Mannings of the world and how they can move in the pocket... but, man idk if Bortles is that good as a pocket passer.

I'd settle for just someone serviceable at center and RG.  

Still  -- I'm sticking to by prediction from preseason  -- Blake is the starter by week 6. 

Quote:But we should trot the savior out there because that fixes everything.

I'm sorry, but I honestly prefer watching Henne taking every hit, whether it's his fault or not, until we can at least comfortably say the line is at a point where we can run the ball, and marginally protect the QB. Henne taking a beating doesn't jeopardize the franchise one bit.
i just think Bortles would make more plays but too your point he might turn the ball over a lot more.

Quote:4/5 of our offensive line isn't ready to start.  That's for certain.

Zane Beadles started all 19 games last year. Apparently he just needs the right quarterback.

Quote:I'd settle for just someone serviceable at center and RG.  

Still  -- I'm sticking to by prediction from preseason  -- Blake is the starter by week 6. 

and RT. hopefully honey boo boo comes back soon and is actually serviceable.