Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Grade the Toby Gerhart debut
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

The Toby Gerhart Debut

MJD still put up better numbers than Gerhart when MJD was playing behind bad Jag OLines.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Mike Alstott was actually good.
In certain situations.  Not as a feature back.

Ranking the big slow white rb's of the NFL

1) John Riggins 2) Alstot 3) Hillis 4) Gerhart.

Quote:If Toby gets an F, then what do you give the OL?

Why does it take Toby like 30 seconds to get pass the line of scrimmage?

Quote:In certain situations.  Not as a feature back.

So you think Toby is a feature back?

Quote:MJD still put up better numbers than Gerhart when MJD was playing behind bad Jag OLines.

MJD averaged 3.4 y/a last year behind a somewhat better OL. Yesterday he averaged 1.2 y/a for Oakland. On four Sundays last year he averaged less than Gerhart did yesterday. 
I don't know what your point is. I doubt MJD could have done even as well as Gerhart yesterday had we re-signed him.

In his prime MJD was better. I don't think anyone expects Gerhart to be as good as MJD in his prime; that's a very high standard.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Internet tough guys are cool.
Boy even though your quote is baseless we can do whatever you like to prove your opinion is flawed. Anything besides that it's no need to have this tough discussion.

Quote:So you think Toby is a feature back?
No.  I think he is a similar back to Alstott (more of a fullback) and is probably more suited for short yardage situations.  I think our running game would be more successful if Robinson and Toby shared the carries  rather than Toby being the guy.  But what do I know...

The very few "holes" that were opened up, he ran pretty good. On his one 11 yard gain, was there not a decent hole that was created for him? He was hit several times either right at the line of scrimmage or behind it. He was stopped for loss or no gain a few times. Is that because the OL failed to push forward or was it because Toby is such an idiot slow poke......he couldn't find the hole?

Come on guys, Philly had a top 5 running defense last year and the JAGs OL was (do a degree still showed this) pathetic and one of the worst in the league last year. All of a sudden, we ramp up the OL in the off season and we as fans expect them to all be Pro Bowlers playing their 1st game? Look at the reality of it all. The ONLY reason we were up 17-0 at half was capitalizing on the Eagles huge mistakes. It wasn't because our offense was running on all 8 cylinders. It WAS our defense that accounted for those points. So, the 2nd half philly comes out and immediately scores and momentum shifts to them and they make a fairly mistake free game the rest of the way. The same cannot be said for the Jags. Henne was made to look great in the 1st half mainly on Philly's errors. The 2nd half, he fell back to being an "average QB" (at best) and they never could find that same rythym they had. The JAGS are NOT as good as some think or expected and NOT as bad as some think. If the OL fails to come togehter as a unit, it's going to be a long, long season no matter who is the QB or RB. If this turns out to be true with the OL, then a counterpunch to that might be a QB who can scramble and make plays on the run. Instead of "forcing" a forward game thru running, maybe a QB who excels in play options might be worth considering. The bottom line is that Philly's defense looked as good as they did last year and unfortunately, so did the jags OL.

Quote:MJD still put up better numbers than Gerhart when MJD was playing behind bad Jag OLines.
Agreed maurice wouldve run better  wait didnt he run 11 yards on 9 carries for a1.2 avg yesterday??

O-Line probably didn't help but I've never been a fan of his style of running. Its 2014 the Lesean McCoys , Jamaal Charles, and AP type RBs are the ones that flourish.

Quote:O-Line probably didn't help but I've never been a fan of his style of running. Its 2014 the Lesean McCoys , Jamaal Charles, and AP type RBs are the ones that flourish.

The future stars at the position says otherwise.

Eddie Lacy, Carlos Hyde, and soon to be Derrick Henry.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:No.  I think he is a similar back to Alstott (more of a fullback) and is probably more suited for short yardage situations.  I think our running game would be more successful if Robinson and Toby shared the carries  rather than Toby being the guy.  But what do I know...

I like the split carries idea but even if we did that, it would not be like the Fred Taylor/MJD years. Fix the offensive line first, then see if Toby and Denard should be swapped on the depth chart.

Last year he avearged 3.4ypc.  Yesterday he averaged 1.2 ypc.  Give me a break

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I give him a B.

He had very few attempts he didn't either break an arm tackle at the line or drag a defender for a 2 years gain.

Plus he was on one wheel. I'd give him a B just for being able to walk off that cheap horse collar tackle.

Quote:Ranking the big slow white rb's of the NFL

1) John Riggins 2) Alstot 3) Hillis 4) Gerhart.

I don't know what being white or any color has to do with it.

What I want from a running back is pretty simple.  Get 4+ yards on first and second down.  Catch passes out of the backfield.  HOLD THE BALL and don't fumble.  Be an effective blocker in passing situations.  Get the first down and/or touchdown in short yardage situations.

I think too many people seem to look for otherwise, and that's why they say Robinson so much.  The era of the "fast potential take-it-to-the-house" running back is gone.  Yes a "take-it-to-the-house" running back is a lot more fun to watch, but the ideal running back to me is one that will get the above job done.  He needs to be more of a "work horse".

I think that Gerhart has the talent to do the job that I would like to see.  His most important job will probably be to block in passing situations.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014, 08:13 PM by The_Anchorman.)

Quote:I don't know what being white or any color has to do with it.

What I want from a running back is pretty simple.  Get 4+ yards on first and second down.  Catch passes out of the backfield.  HOLD THE BALL and don't fumble.  Be an effective blocker in passing situations.  Get the first down and/or touchdown in short yardage situations.

I think too many people seem to look for otherwise, and that's why they say Robinson so much.  The era of the "fast potential take-it-to-the-house" running back is gone.  Yes a "take-it-to-the-house" running back is a lot more fun to watch, but the ideal running back to me is one that will get the above job done.  He needs to be more of a "work horse".

I think that Gerhart has the talent to do the job that I would like to see.  His most important job will probably be to block in passing situations.

I hear ya...  But I thought with 2 of the 3 carries Denard had he pretty much did what you are wanting from a RB...  I don't think we should confuse the fact that D-Rob has quickness with the fact that he can't handle a large work load...  

I hope they give him more touches moving forward.

D-Rob:  6-0 197lbs

Todman 5-10 198lbs

Todman was being considered last year as a viable replacement for MJD.

Todman has almost the same build, but way faster...  I just can't see why the coaches benched if so quickly Sunday.

i gave the event an f but im still out on gerharts grade

a pourus o-line + an ankle injury leaves me without an opinion